Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Homosexuality

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    jelly bean old friend, how might you been today young sir.. Haven't seen you in a little while :/

Federica yes I will learn from my unskillful speech sooner or later, I find it difficult to be serious all of the time and prevent myself from offending people. I personally do not have much of an opinion on the DL, to me he is just another person, another monk despite what he is meant to be. However, he is very correct and has done a lot to help relieve the suffering of many people I am sure.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Not condemning homosexuality? Not in my view. He's definitely at least heterosexist, and I found that speech quite offensive.

as i stated before, i felt the same way when i read it. sure, he says that we should not condemn homosexuality... but that doesn't mean that we should support it either. it always gave me the ol' "love the sinner, hate the sin" vibe. i'm sorry. i am far beyond thinking it is okay to allow people to "tolerate me". the problem lies in the fact that as a homosexual, i know that it is not a choice but will never be able to prove this.

but having said that, i should also mention that even if you're of the opinion that gays should be "tolerated" (as in, not mistreated but not supported) or even if you hate gays outright... that's okay. if you desire a discussion, i will be more than happy to explain my side of the argument, but i have learned to simply accept that not everyone will agree with me. even if it's something i feel very passionate about. sometimes it hurts, sometimes i can just let it roll off my back.

an example of this ideology and how it plays out in daily life is how my girlfriend's mother will always say, "you're almost the perfect daughter, except you're gay." without complete support, she is somehow seen less than. and it is very hurtful. it is impossible to really have equality when you don't have support.

as others have said, HHDL is a human being and not infallible. the way he feels does not particularly bother me as i am not a tibetan buddhist.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Prepare yourself for the influx of lonely Buddhist men spamming your inbox.

Wait, that doesn't sound right... :zombie:
    :lol::lol:

LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Not condemning homosexuality? Not in my view. He's definitely at least heterosexist, and I found that speech quite offensive.
    Then you have, if I may say so, a poor understanding of a a man who holds an important and traditional position, yet who is living in more liberal, modern, open-minded and permissive times.

He holds the weight of teachings, going back thousands of years, upon his shoulders. He has a massive responsibility to those who see him as a spiritual teacher, and one with total authority of his lineage. To be directly condemnatory of bias and prejudice against homosexuals (and I'm convinced he knows that it's exactly that) would be to undermine the very roots and foundations of the Line and teachings he represents. He declared, himself, that for one man to instrument a complete change in such matters is completely impossible. It takes time and cohesive agreement. he personally treats every single human he comes across with Kindness, love, compassion and happiness.
    Sexuality is just a label, just as Man, Woman, Child, Doctor, gardener, illegitimate, sadist, housewife, cynic, multi-talented, are. All just superlative labels we choose to apply or adopt....

And he knows this.
    It's time we realised it too.
    What the hell does it matter, and why should it?
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    as i stated before, i felt the same way when i read it. sure, he says that we should not condemn homosexuality... but that doesn't mean that we should support it either. it always gave me the ol' "love the sinner, hate the sin" vibe. i'm sorry. i am far beyond thinking it is okay to allow people to "tolerate me". the problem lies in the fact that as a homosexual, i know that it is not a choice but will never be able to prove this.
    It is as much a choice for you, as me 'choosing' to be heterosexual.... Sheesh..... :D
    but having said that, i should also mention that even if you're of the opinion that gays should be "tolerated" (as in, not mistreated but not supported) or even if you hate gays outright... that's okay. if you desire a discussion, i will be more than happy to explain my side of the argument, but i have learned to simply accept that not everyone will agree with me. even if it's something i feel very passionate about. sometimes it hurts, sometimes i can just let it roll off my back.
    This is completely their problem, not yours.

It's like the tattoo argument:

"The difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that the people with tattoos don't give a damn if a person doesn't have a tattoo."
    an example of this ideology and how it plays out in daily life is how my girlfriend's mother will always say, "you're almost the perfect daughter, except you're gay." without complete support, she is somehow seen less than. and it is very hurtful. it is impossible to really have equality when you don't have support.

Yes, I get you. like it's a 'flaw'....
    "And you're almost the perfect mother, except you're prejudiced".
    Somehow I think you're too nice to come back with tht one.....
    As others have said, HHDL is a human being and not infallible. the way he feels does not particularly bother me as i am not a tibetan buddhist.
    It's actually one of the reasons I'm not either, but it's not him, it's the Tradition and teaching I find weighted. I've met many Tibetan Buddhists and I adore them all. I just don't agree with everything the Teachings promote.

ZombieGirl, I'd like to say I constantly make the distinction between "Tolerance" and "acceptance".

I always lean towards the latter.
    When she was younger, my daughter confessed to having strong feelings for another girl.
    Frankly, I didn't bat an eyelid. Not because I wanted to show her I felt impartial, and was giving her a healthy response.
    But because I really couldn't have cared less, one way, the other or another still... My opinion was that whatever made her a happy, contented individual, was what I wanted for her.
    As it turned out, she's living with a guy and they had a baby together.
    But had it turned out that she'd be sharing her life with another woman, that too would be fine.

Like I'd have the right to have any say in the matter. :rolleyes: :lol:
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited September 2010
    In my view, it is not an issue whatsoever.

Love is love, and should be celebrated with enthusiasm wherever it is found.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    "Lifestyle choice". "Choose to be a homosexual".

People think sexuality is like a hair style. Sexual orientation is no more a "lifestyle choice" than liking or disliking broccoli. You either do or you don't, or you're somewhere in between the two. I mean, I like broccoli just fine, but I don't want to eat it every day. And some days I even like spinach instead of broccoli. And there are people I know who can't stand the sight of broccoli, but would eat spinach at every meal.

But that's a choice... Sheesh...
    edited September 2010
    I don't know mtns, I am straight and it is not my choice that I become attracted to women is it.. It is a natural function, I can choose not to act upon these thoughts and attractions, but it is not my choice to have them in the first place. If I was gay I would look around and be attracted to guys, that also would not be my choice...
    edited September 2010
    I don't know mtns, I am straight and it is not my choice that I become attracted to women is it.. It is a natural function, I can choose not to act upon these thoughts and attractions, but it is not my choice to have them in the first place. If I was gay I would look around and be attracted to guys, that also would not be my choice...

Precisely my point. People act like you actually *have* a choice. You have a choice of whether and when to act on it, but the orientation is organic. I believe it's subject to change in some people under some circumstances, but it's not a conscious "choice".
  • edited September 2010
    Homosexuality and Buddhism

http://www.religionfacts.com/homosexuality/buddhism.htm

Buddhism has three main branches: Theravada, the oldest form of Buddhism that emphasizes the monastic life; Mahayana Buddhism, a later form that includes Pure Land, Zen, Nichiren, and other sects; and Vajrayana, a unique form that arose in India and Tibet and is led by the Dalai Lama.

Though they share a common heritage, each of these branches has a somewhat different view of the way life should be lived in general and are thus treated separately in the article that follows.

Homosexuality in Buddhist Scriptures and Theravada Buddhism

Theravada Buddhism is most commonly found in Southeast Asia, and focuses on the original teachings of the Buddha. In Theravada Buddhism, there are two main ways of life: the life of the monk and the life of the lay person (i.e. ordinary person with a job, a family, a home, etc.)

Buddhist monks are expected to live lives of celibacy, meaning abstinence from any type of sex. There is no explicit rule prohibiting those with a homosexual orientation from monastic life. [1] However, in the Vinaya, the Buddha is recorded as opposing the ordination of those who openly expressed cross-gender features [2] or strong homosexual desires and actions [7]. The Buddhist sacred texts do contain a great deal of instances of loving relationships between unmarried men, which some believe to have homoerotic overtones. No sexual contact is mentioned in these instances, however. [1]

Lay Buddhists (those who live outside the monastery) are expected to adhere to Five Precepts, the third of which is a vow "not to engage in sexual misconduct." But what is sexual misconduct? Right and wrong behavior in Buddhism is generally determined by considerations such as the following:

* Universality principle - "How would I like it if someone did this to me?"
    * Consequences - Does the act causes harm and regret (in oneself or others) or benefit and joy?
    * Utilitarian principle - Will the act help or harm the attainment of goals (ultimately spiritual liberation)?
    * Intention - Is the act motivated by love, generosity and understanding?

"Sexual misconduct" has thus traditionally been interpreted to include actions like coercive sex, sexual harassment, child molestation and adultery. As Homosexuality is not explicitly mentioned in any of the Buddha's sayings recorded in the Pali Canon (Tripitaka), most interpreters have taken this to mean that homosexuality should be evaluated in the same way as heterosexuality, in accordance with the above principles.

A Buddhist author of an article on homosexuality concludes:

In the case of the lay man and woman where there is mutual consent, where adultery is not involved and where the sexual act is an expression of love, respect, loyalty and warmth, it would not be breaking the third Precept. And it is the same when the two people are of the same gender. Likewise promiscuity, license and the disregard for the feelings of others would make a sexual act unskillful whether it be heterosexual or homosexual. All the principles we would use to evaluate a heterosexual relationship we would also use to evaluate a homosexual one. In Buddhism we could say that it is not the object of one's sexual desire that determines whether a sexual act is unskillful or not, but rather the quality of the emotions and intentions involved. [1]

It is also worth noting that Buddhism does not traditionally place great value on procreation like many western religions. From the Buddhist viewpoint, being married with children is regarded as generally positive, but not compulsory (although social norms in various Buddhist countries often have different views). [3]

Despite all this, in practice, Theravada Buddhist countries are not terribly open to homosexual practice. This has much to do with cultural norms, as well as the notion of karma, which remains strong in countries such as Thailand. From this viewpoint, a person's characteristics and situations are a result of past sins or good deeds. Homosexuality and other alternative forms of sexuality are often seen as karmic punishments for heterosexual misconduct in a past life. Thus far, the gay rights movement has not had great success in Theravada Buddhist countries. [7]

Homosexuality in Vajrayana/Tibetan Buddhism

In a 1997 interview, the Dalai Lama (the leader of Tibetan Buddhism and a widely-respected spiritual figure) was asked about homosexuality. He did not offer any strong answer either way, but noted that all monks are expected to refrain from sex. For laypeople, he commented that the purpose of sex in general is for procreation, so homosexual acts do seem a bit unnatural. He said that sexual desires in themselves are natural, perhaps including homosexual desires, but that one should not try to increase those desires or indulge them without self-control. [4]

In a 1993 talk given in Seattle, the Dalai Lama said:

nature arranged male and female organs "in such a manner that is very suitable... Same-sex organs cannot manage well." But he stopped short of condemning homosexual relationships altogether, saying if two people agree to enter a relationship that is not sexually abusive, "then I don't know. It's difficult to say." [5]

The Dalai Lama was more specific in a meeting with Buddhist leaders and human rights activists in San Francisco in 1997, where he commented that all forms of sex other than penile-vaginal sex are prohibited for Buddhists, whether between heterosexuals or homosexuals. At a press conference the day before the meeting, he said, "From a Buddhist point of view, [gay sex] is generally considered sexual misconduct." But he did note that this rule is for Buddhists, and from society's viewpoint, homosexual relationships can be "of mutual benefit, enjoyable, and harmless." [6]

The Dalai Lama is well known for his activism for human rights, and this specifically includes equal rights for gays. According to an Office of Tibet spokesman, "His Holiness opposes violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation. He urges respect, tolerance, compassion, and the full recognition of human rights for all." [6]
    References

1. A. L. De Silva, "Homosexuality and Theravada Buddhism." BuddhaNet's Magazine Articles, accessed 2005.
    2. Peter A. Jackson, "Thai Buddhist accounts of male homosexuality and AIDS in the 1980s ." Australian Journal of Anthropology, December 1995.
    3. Kerry Trembath, "Buddhism and Homosexuality." Enabling.org, accessed 2005.
    4. "On Homosexuality and Sex in General." Interview with the Dalai Lama, World Tibet Network News, Aug. 27, 1997.
    5. "A Lesson on Life, Happiness." Dalai Lama's speech to Seattle crowd, World Tibet Network News, Jul. 1, 1993.
    6. Dennis Conkin, "Dalai Lama urges 'respect, compassion, and full human rights for all,' including gays." Bay Area Reporter, San Francisco, Jun. 19, 1997.
    7. Mettanando Bhikkhu, "Will Buddhists allow gay marriage?" Buddhist View International, Jul. 25, 2005.

Books on Homosexuality and Buddhism

* Bernard Faure, The Red Thread: Buddhist Approaches to Sexuality (Princeton University Press, 1998).
    * Winston Layland, ed., Queer Dharma: Voices of Gay Buddhists (Gay Sunshine Press, 1998).
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I agree, Linc. I have found that a lot of gay men (the crowd I'm most familiar with) have pretty much abandoned their spiritual needs because they feel (with some cause) that spiritual organizations exclude them, lumping all such organizations into one. It's natural, but sad as well. I once felt the same way actually, but fortunately I found my way to Buddhism which, for the most part, is very gay-friendly. My message to fellow gays is that it's very possible to be moral, spiritual, and gay, that you don't have to give up that part of yourself.

Zombiegirl, I grew up in a time and place where gays were not just discriminated against, they didn't exist. I had absolutely no role models growing up, so I assumed it was just me and that I was completely screwed up, so I indulged in a lot of self-hatred and alienation. But like you, I'm glad that I didn't grow up "mainstream" and become an empty, self-righteous, vacuous nebbish drinking beer and watching sitcoms and game shows while waiting to die. Whatever suffering I've gone through, it's better than that hell realm! One of my teachers is fond of saying, "Pray for adversity". I think it's one of the wisest teachings I've ever heard.

Palzang
    edited September 2010
    ah sorry mtns, I got a little confused there :p
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Sherab,just a quick note and not trying to be argumentative,but homosexuality is alive and well in the land of smiles(Thailand).Last time I was there I had a couple of great nights with both foreign and Thai gays,lesbians,lady boys and straights.Some one once asked me how Thailand could call itself buddhist when there was so much"rampant perversion"going on?I just told them it was because it was buddhist that we didn't care about peoples sex lives.
    edited September 2010
    The general population are meant to be practicing buddhists but they see it more as a fact of luck lol. It is a lot like christianity back in the UK, many people are 'christian' but do not attend regular church sessions. I have been to a few temples and there is hardly ever anybody praying, giving offerings or doing much at all. People have their offerings and bracelets on their cars or stalls, but they do not practice basically any of what buddhism preaches. Of course this does not apply to everybody, I have met a few lay people who practice well, but they are far and few between. Thailand is changing also with the influences from the west, I see it as a kind of cancer but that is just my opinion :)
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I know where your'e coming from TT.I think that this is true in many countries.People from catholic countries say they are catholic but many of them go to church only at easter and christmas,have a picture of the pope on the wall and all the other trimmings.Same with buddhist countries.We think we are born christian,buddhist or what ever.Not sure about the western thing though.I mean if the Thais want to change with the times who are we to stop them.That is their choice.Yeah I like the traditional clothing,music and dance,but if they want to wear designer jeans and go to kari oke bars thats not for me to stop.Well maybe I can try to stop the kari oke bars.All those people who think they can sing. Aagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    edited September 2010
    I am not to say they should not change or whatever, but I can have an opinion on the matter. Change is inevitable and something we should embrace being buddhist, but they are losing their culture and way of life. With globalization their country is going to shit basically lol, in my opinion. I am sure the king would have a few words to say about the matter also O.o

Anyway, BACK TO TOPIC :P
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Consider yourself slammed. Your statement is way too much. Just because he disapproves as a simple monk gives you no reason to make that statement.

It is no more out of order that if he presumed DL was straight. Slammed.
    edited September 2010
    I was actually joking around and not being ultra super duper serious for a moment there.. I am sorry that I do not entirely praise the ground the DL walks on, but I was not being all too serious when I said what I said.

He should no more be praised than you or I.
    edited September 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    I agree that generally gays and lesbians find a welcoming home in Buddhism, but there are always exceptions. I know of a gelug lama in Phoenix who is extremely homophobic to the point of telling the gays who came to his sangha to beat it. But generally such bigots are few and far between in Buddha-land. For me, a monk, obviously having sex is no longer an issue, but my teacher made it clear to those of the lavender persuasion who also wore robes that we should never give up our gay identity. It can be a powerful way to connect with sentient beings who may have no other connection to the Dharma, and it is who we are in this life, so to deny it or pretend it has gone away would be extremely dishonest.

Palzang

You say the mintest things man!
    edited September 2010
    If any prohibition exists it has to do with butt-sex, not orientation.
    Plenty of straight folks get down with butt-sex too.
    This Buddhist doesnt think there is anything wrong with butt-sex or homosexuality as long as both parties are into it.

Finally :D
    edited September 2010
    Word. You rock, Palzang.

I disagree with that the thing he said that you quoted rocked, however :-/
    edited September 2010
    But still, it has nothing to do with orientation. Its a specific act, and in the olden days it had a lot to do with hygiene. Its pretty safe nowadays but back in the 2500 BCE days we didnt have such good lube or soap if you know what I mean.
    Also, there are issues related to the subtle energies of the body from a Vajrayana perspective.

Agree. For actual safe butt-sex you'd need more than a hot shower, and they probably didn't even have them :-/;)
    edited September 2010
    i am a lesbian and i have experienced no problems in either my practice or in my experiences with other buddhists as a result from this.

actually, a long time ago i read what HHDL said about homosexuality and took it to be quite negative as well. as a result, i dropped the idea of pursuing buddhism. i was in high school at the time and thought he was more like the pope of buddhism, lol. sometime later i was reintroduced to buddhism and feeling more secure in myself, i decided to pursue it. but then i got to a point where i realized that knowing what i know and have experienced as a lesbian in a culture that does not condone homosexuality, there is no way i could follow a teaching that did not support me as well. my thoughts were, if these are enlightened teachings, there is no way that they could discriminate against homosexuals in the way the christians do and still be considered enlightened. so, i got up my nerve and determined i would tell my young women's division leader in the SGI. i remember i was so nervous because i was ready to walk away depending on her reaction.

but honestly, i have never experienced less of a shock on an individual. i told her i was gay and she was just like, "okay." she actually seemed confused why i was all stressed out about it, lol. after i discussed this with her for a while she told me that as a result of my experiences, i should try and put my passion towards making things better for homosexuals.

i find this statement incredibly interesting. i think i've discussed this before, but it has long been my belief that i was incredibly lucky to be a homosexual. basically, where i grew up, if i wasn't gay i would probably be a homophobe. i would so much rather be on the side experiencing the discrimination as it helps to develop my compassion and it does allow me to sympathize with others who may be experiencing the same problems i once experienced.

I don't think I'd be homophobic, Buddhist teaching enlightened me to not being of ignorant child-mind :P :D
    edited September 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    I always have a good chuckle at those type of situations - expecting such a massive reaction, preparing a thousand-and-one defenses, then a simple word of acceptance knocks down that hard-built wall. One of my good friends came out a while back, and was worried about the reaction he'd get. Gotta love the gob-smacked look of "what, huh? Oh." :D

(As an aside - Sherab, your avatar of Kwai Chang made me fan-squeal :p)

LOL
    edited September 2010
    letitbe13 wrote: »
    Zombiegirl... I can totally understand where you are coming from... I'm from a small/Southern/rural town and I look at the people around me and think... 'man, I'm so glad I turned out the way I did and I don't have to carry around all that hate!' It's slightly appalling sometimes that people put so much effort into hating things or ideas they disagree with.

As for myself, I consider myself to be bisexual because I think love has no boundaries. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on bisexuality as well... would it be considered sexual misconduct? Sensual indulgence? Or just non-discriminatory love? :D

Dunno, make a good love story. Forbidden love is so beautiful :D
    EDIT- You consider yourself bisexual because love has no boundaries (:thumbsup:) but do you like think ewwww when you think of some parts of some people or are you like nah, It's OK...
    edited September 2010
    you can't help being bisexual any more than i can for being gay or others for being straight. it's all the same. what's most important is to have a consensual relationship that is mutually beneficial to both partners.

at any rate, i still say that if i was single and met a guy i liked, i would pursue it. as it seems though, it still has yet to happen. if being bisexual to you is about non-discriminatory love, then love who you love and stop worrying about it. :)
    :thumbsup:
    edited September 2010

Wait, that doesn't sound right... :zombie:

Oooh, creepih' :crazy: :wtf:
    edited September 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Anecdotally, I find that attitude much more prevalent among gay people than straight people, and I don't think it's that gay people are more inclined to have bisexual tendencies. I speculate it's that "straight" people are more likely to view people as categorized gay or straight (or maybe bisexual if they're liberal) rather than a continuum. "I know I like chicks therefore no, that dude is definitely not cute." :p

Back to John's original query, I find it amusing / depressing that some Christians use issues like this as a cleaving point to distinguish themselves from inclusive belief systems like Buddhism. "See? They have no moral fiber because they think that crap is OK!" :rolleyes:

Further, it worries me that there are a lot of people out there who think that's the way all belief systems are and give up their own spiritual growth because they're so turned off by what they experience in their native religion.

Yeah and that guy's so definitely not cute. I mean he looks so delicate (not cute!) I'll beat him up. Just to- to- put him in his place like. Not so I get to touch him. Yeah, that's the reason :p :wtf:
    edited September 2010
    jelly bean old friend, how might you been today young sir.. Haven't seen you in a little while :/

Federica yes I will learn from my unskillful speech sooner or later, I find it difficult to be serious all of the time and prevent myself from offending people. I personally do not have much of an opinion on the DL, to me he is just another person, another monk despite what he is meant to be. However, he is very correct and has done a lot to help relieve the suffering of many people I am sure.
    High-five! :thumbsup:
    edited September 2010

as others have said, HHDL is a human being and not infallible. the way he feels does not particularly bother me as i am not a tibetan buddhist.

I'd say, "well you're almost a perfect mother, except that your a bit of a..." but I'll not be spiteful :o Same with the hurt or roll of back thing :-/ I don't like the phrase, "I tolerate gays." I mean what are we? A frozen laptop? :crazy:
    edited September 2010
    federica wrote: »
    :lol::lol:

Then you have, if I may say so, a poor understanding of a a man who holds an important and traditional position, yet who is living in more liberal, modern, open-minded and permissive times.

He holds the weight of teachings, going back thousands of years, upon his shoulders. He has a massive responsibility to those who see him as a spiritual teacher, and one with total authority of his lineage. To be directly condemnatory of bias and prejudice against homosexuals (and I'm convinced he knows that it's exactly that) would be to undermine the very roots and foundations of the Line and teachings he represents. He declared, himself, that for one man to instrument a complete change in such matters is completely impossible. It takes time and cohesive agreement. he personally treats every single human he comes across with Kindness, love, compassion and happiness.
    Sexuality is just a label, just as Man, Woman, Child, Doctor, gardener, illegitimate, sadist, housewife, cynic, multi-talented, are. All just superlative labels we choose to apply or adopt....

And he knows this.
    It's time we realised it too.
    What the hell does it matter, and why should it?

It is as much a choice for you, as me 'choosing' to be heterosexual.... Sheesh..... :D

This is completely their problem, not yours.

It's like the tattoo argument:

"The difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that the people with tattoos don't give a damn if a person doesn't have a tattoo."

Yes, I get you. like it's a 'flaw'....
    "And you're almost the perfect mother, except you're prejudiced".
    Somehow I think you're too nice to come back with tht one.....

It's actually one of the reasons I'm not either, but it's not him, it's the Tradition and teaching I find weighted. I've met many Tibetan Buddhists and I adore them all. I just don't agree with everything the Teachings promote.

ZombieGirl, I'd like to say I constantly make the distinction between "Tolerance" and "acceptance".

I always lean towards the latter.
    When she was younger, my daughter confessed to having strong feelings for another girl.
    Frankly, I didn't bat an eyelid. Not because I wanted to show her I felt impartial, and was giving her a healthy response.
    But because I really couldn't have cared less, one way, the other or another still... My opinion was that whatever made her a happy, contented individual, was what I wanted for her.
    As it turned out, she's living with a guy and they had a baby together.
    But had it turned out that she'd be sharing her life with another woman, that too would be fine.

Like I'd have the right to have any say in the matter. :rolleyes: :lol:

About the Dalai Lama, I see your point, I really do. And I have heterosexist friends (AKA friends at all :rolleyes:) so, I'll tolerate :p I mean accept the fact, and everybody has a right to think what the hell they like :D
    edited September 2010
    Zayl wrote: »
    In my view, it is not an issue whatsoever.

Love is love, and should be celebrated with enthusiasm wherever it is found.

Round of applause :)
    edited September 2010

With me I have broccoli every day :lol:
    Sexuality speaking, I'm disgusted (physically, not emotionally) at the thought (and yeah, I've seen :o) of sex including women :hrm:
    edited September 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Precisely my point. People act like you actually *have* a choice. You have a choice of whether and when to act on it, but the orientation is organic. I believe it's subject to change in some people under some circumstances, but it's not a conscious "choice".

Even if it was a choice, on various levels you don't have a choice in hardly anything...
    edited September 2010
    I agree, Linc. I have found that a lot of gay men (the crowd I'm most familiar with) have pretty much abandoned their spiritual needs because they feel (with some cause) that spiritual organizations exclude them, lumping all such organizations into one. It's natural, but sad as well. I once felt the same way actually, but fortunately I found my way to Buddhism which, for the most part, is very gay-friendly. My message to fellow gays is that it's very possible to be moral, spiritual, and gay, that you don't have to give up that part of yourself.

Zombiegirl, I grew up in a time and place where gays were not just discriminated against, they didn't exist. I had absolutely no role models growing up, so I assumed it was just me and that I was completely screwed up, so I indulged in a lot of self-hatred and alienation. But like you, I'm glad that I didn't grow up "mainstream" and become an empty, self-righteous, vacuous nebbish drinking beer and watching sitcoms and game shows while waiting to die. Whatever suffering I've gone through, it's better than that hell realm! One of my teachers is fond of saying, "Pray for adversity". I think it's one of the wisest teachings I've ever heard.

Palzang
    "Pray for adversity." That is a wise teaching :)
    edited September 2010
    I am not to say they should not change or whatever, but I can have an opinion on the matter. Change is inevitable and something we should embrace being buddhist, but they are losing their culture and way of life. With globalization their country is going to shit basically lol, in my opinion. I am sure the king would have a few words to say about the matter also O.o

Anyway, BACK TO TOPIC :P

Godda say, your picture is SO cool :D
    edited September 2010
    lol, i LOVE kurt, really there was a lot more to him than most people were probably aware of. I find him utterly fascinating and everything surrounding his life and death, this picture just cracks me up and emulates him perfectly :)
    He actually named his band nirvana after staying up and watching a documentary on buddhism, although he wasn't exactly a great follower of the dharma :P

RIP kurt
    edited September 2010

What's that email address again? :)

PS: I agree about the bisexual 'no boundaries' thing - it's not about the sex, it's about the person. But different strokes for different folks. Some like broccoli, some like spinach, some like both, and some like neither. Personally, I kind of like spinach & broccoli salad, but a little heavier on the broccoli. :)
    edited September 2010
    hahahaha, you must have vegetables squarely on the mind today mtns! I cracked up when I first read how devoted to vegetables your description was lol. Made me hungry also :(
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010

Palzang

i've noticed this trend in my gay friends as well. most of them are vehemently anti-religion. it doesn't take a braniac to see that it is a result of nonacceptance. i felt this way at first as well. but then, i studied a lot and i got to the point where i could refute virtually any claim that the bible condemns homosexuality by resorting to the actual hebrew it was written in. so i did finally find acceptance from christianity, but even so, i felt that it no longer worked for me.

palzang, i'm sorry to hear about your experience but even though i assume we have years apart, unfortunately, it really aptly describes mine as well. i feel as though i didn't grow up in a time where gays were hidden...but definitely a place. when i started to realize i was gay, i was so confused because i honestly did think it was a choice, lol. i had been taught this, so when i started to have these feelings, i thought it was some crazy test from god. it led to years of denial because i didn't know any other gay people. i was 18 before i ever met another gay person face to face. i just have to be thankful for the internet, i really do believe it saved my life. i never attempted suicide, but i often fantasized about it. i also indulged in a lot of self-hatred. i was a confused teenager who felt that my life was completely out of my control. i became a classic textbook case when i found that the only thing i could control was the amount of pain and torture i put myself through. from burning to anorexia to beating myself with belts, i thought i deserved the pain. it seems crazy to me now, but this is the result of feeling that sexuality is a "choice" and god is some sort of puppet-master pulling the strings.

to say it sucked at the time is an understatement, haha. but now, i am happy that i went through all of it. i mean, i survived didn't i? i also feel that because the origin of sexuality is so difficult to pinpoint, and there really is no proof either way, experiences are very important when adding to the picture. i share my experience with anyone who asks me about homosexuality. most people really believe that it is a choice and have no idea how damaging this belief is. in my experience, people don't really want to hurt others, they're just naive because they've never thought about it. once you open their eyes to the result of anything less than "acceptance", they tend to see it more clearly. i have never told my story to a person and still had them walk away with contempt and anger toward gays.

palzang, i have no doubt that your suffering was probably worse than mine due to the time period. i have a great amount of respect for anyone who came before me and survived, blazing the trail, as it were. at least i had ellen on tv... :D

the world is changing, albeit slowly, but i really do believe that by expanding the minds of one person at a time, we can change the world. if i had the power, i wouldn't take back my experiences for the world. yes, i think we should all pray for adversity.

my sympathies to all of you middle class, straight, white, majority men out there :( haha

and btw, about my girlfriend's mother... she's really not a bad person. she's quite accepting of me (although she also says to me, "i just wish you were a guy!" hahahaha) and i enjoy talking with her. she's just veeeerrrrryyy southern baptist, lol. my girlfriend has banned me from having a real conversation about homosexuality with her mother... but one of these days... oh yes. it will happen. and i'm ready. :D
  • edited September 2010
    I'm glad that I didn't grow up "mainstream" and become an empty, self-righteous, vacuous nebbish drinking beer and watching sitcoms and game shows while waiting to die.
    Palzang

If you keep poking fun at my upbringing I am gonna have to sic a mod on ya. :D
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, what's wrong with Jeopardy? :)
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, what's wrong with Jeopardy? :)
    Ewww.

Mountains - now, everytime I eat broccoli or spinach I'm going to be having quite intruiging thoughts. As if my imagination needed more encouragement :D

Also, I'm going to be getting even weirder looks saying - hey, check out that broccoli/spinach over there. I'd stir fry that vegetable with soy sauce and sesame seeds, anytime.
    And with no fresh food market around... :eek: :lol:
  • edited September 2010
    Horrible humour aside, hearing about people's experiences in this thread gives me warm fuzzy feelings of happiness. I'm glad you're all here to share your experiences - if Buddhism wasn't the way it is, you'd all not be here, and this place'd be pretty dull. :p
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I Clinging Desire...See how much suffering it causes ?
  • edited September 2010
    Horrible humour aside, hearing about people's experiences in this thread gives me warm fuzzy feelings of happiness. I'm glad you're all here to share your experiences - if Buddhism wasn't the way it is, you'd all not be here, and this place'd be pretty dull. :p

(Kwai Chang Caine voice) "I am just- a man. I do not know."

(Theme music...)
    edited September 2010
    So what's the Buddhist take on rutabagas anyway? :)
  • edited September 2010
    The same as spinach and broccoli, except it sounds rude.
    (Kwai Chang Caine voice) "I am just- a man. I do not know."

(Theme music...)
    Gush. I <3 that. I have a job interview today, but I'm sure I could squeeze in all three seasons before it... surely.
    edited September 2010
    Ewww.

Mountains - now, everytime I eat broccoli or spinach I'm going to be having quite intruiging thoughts. As if my imagination needed more encouragement :D

Also, I'm going to be getting even weirder looks saying - hey, check out that broccoli/spinach over there. I'd stir fry that vegetable with soy sauce and sesame seeds, anytime.
    And with no fresh food market around... :eek: :lol:

I'm gonna tell my friends about these new metaphors :D
    edited September 2010

Very true, it's nice to see how everyone shares similarities :)
    edited September 2010
    So what's the Buddhist take on rutabagas anyway? :)

Call it a swede for fricksake :D Then again, when you mention that we might get on the topic of nudism and.... cheap furniture!!! :zombie:
    edited September 2010
    The same as spinach and broccoli, except it sounds rude.

Gush. I <3 that. I have a job interview today, but I'm sure I could squeeze in all three seasons before it... surely.
    Ooooh, what job?
This discussion has been closed.