Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eckhart Tolle and Buddhism

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Is there any connection between Tolle and Buddhism?
Eckhart Tolle, author of A New Earth and The Power of Now.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    yes. Eckart Tolle is very wise I think. One who learns from the river.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I find his teachings/talks very compatible with Buddhism. He just uses different words to express in essence the same thing. :)
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I haven't read any of his stuff, I did see an interview with him though and was impressed, and I know my Sensei likes his work quite a lot.
  • edited November 2010
    This video by Eckhart Tolle is interesting, but I find it kind of contradicts the Buddhist idea of attaining enlightenment.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdgO4UDrwm8
    any comments on this teaching?

He basically says that thinking about an working towards acheiving enlightenment in the future will keep you from enlightenment because you are not embracing the here and now.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited November 2010
    He says he has no ego. Is he enlightened?
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This video by Eckhart Tolle is interesting, but I find it kind of contradicts the Buddhist idea of attaining enlightenment.

He basically says that thinking about an working towards acheiving enlightenment in the future will keep you from enlightenment because you are not embracing the here and now.
    Sounds pretty darned Zen to me.
    In Soto, one does not do zazen to become enlightened. It is only to express your true nature.
    In Shin one does not recite Nembutsu to attain birth in the Pure Land, but to expresse gratitude that we are already embraced by Perfectly Awakened Infinite Light and Life, right here and right now.

Enlightenment isn't some time in the future, it is right now. of course that is also true of everything. :lol:
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited November 2010

There's no contradiction really. He's saying how it is. As long as you think of enlightenment as something you want to get in the future, you can't get it, because there is nothing to get/add to yourself - you already have it.
    But this is again another concept, which is hard to understand with rational thinking, because the rational mind thinks in delusional terms (past, future).
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Read some of his writing and watched the video, read a bit from his website, and I'm not impressed. He's just another Great Enlightened Guru, without the East Indian trappings. His teaching is a mixed reguratation of mindfulness, cognitive psychology, and Pop Zen. He is not teaching the Noble Truths and 8-Fold Path. He's not even teaching Zen. I'm going to give a rather harsh assessment here, with apologies to anyone who follows him. Chalk it up to an old Buddhist with cranky opinions this morning, please, and make up your own mind.

His history describes a psychological breakdown resulting in a fugue state that lasted several years before he began his own teaching. He seems to think disassociation is the same as egoless enlightenment, and it's not. Neither is mindfulness. Mindfulness and quiet mind meditation are tools, only one part of the 8-Fold path. Learning how to swing a hammer is not the same thing as building a house.

But, here is the main thing that places him with the ranks of Enlightened Gurus that have come and gone. What is he actually teaching? Unless you wake up one morning with an unexplained, overwhelming sense of bliss and wander off to live in shelters for a couple of years, he's not teaching you how to follow in his footsteps. The Buddha set out deliberately to find the secret of eliminating suffering and in the end gave us a prescription that we can follow to do the same.

The man will collect some speaking fees, his self-help books will sell some copies and most will end up in thrift stores, and perhaps his message will spark a few people to seek something deeper.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Cinorjer, I agree with you on the part, that he's not really laying out a very graspable path, but I would not be so harsh towards him.

I'm actually one of those, who has been very skeptical towards Buddhism, because I had no idea about it and put it in the same box with every religion and I did not have much respect towards religion back then. Mostly for all the blind beliefs & preaching etc.

Anyways, after reading Eckhart Tolle's book "The Power of Now", my perspective on spirituality changed drastically. And I am very thankful for this. I might have not found out about my own ignorance, if he didn't exist. :)

And I'm 100% sure there are many people who are in a similar situation I was in years ago...
    edited November 2010
    I am very glad for you. As I said, his words can spark a desire for something deeper in people, and I hope their search brings them to reading the Noble Truths. At least it doesn't seem his teaching is designed to suck people into some sort of money producing program, like IT or such.

The Gurus of the world are a mixed bunch. I met Da Free John once, as he was calling himself at the time, many years ago (he's dead now). Listened to him, watched him interact with others. They are highly charismatic people and obviously something happened to him in the past to change him. But, once he died, so did his followers and whatever message he had was jumbled and never once addressed the question, "How can I be like you?" The answer, you can't. He was born special. Enlightenment is something that just happened as an accident.

To be all Zen about it, I'd say he's not a finger pointing at the moon. He's a finger pointing to himself while he tells you about the moon. The Dharma is so powerful, that it can be glimpsed even through this man. It's amazing.
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited November 2010
    being wrote: »
    Cinorjer, I agree with you on the part, that he's not really laying out a very graspable path, but I would not be so harsh towards him.

I'm actually one of those, who has been very skeptical towards Buddhism, because I had no idea about it and put it in the same box with every religion and I did not have much respect towards religion back then. Mostly for all the blind beliefs & preaching etc.

Anyways, after reading Eckhart Tolle's book "The Power of Now", my perspective on spirituality changed drastically. And I am very thankful for this. I might have not found out about my own ignorance, if he didn't exist. :)

And I'm 100% sure there are many people who are in a similar situation I was in years ago...

I agree that this introspection provided by someone like Tolle can encourage one to explore Buddhism. Byron Katie has an interesting take on acceptance and that brought me to Buddhism as well. They seem to provide some glimpses of enlightened thought and people can take it from there.
  • edited November 2010
    hermitwin wrote: »

Yes. Eckart Tolle read a couple of books about Dzogchen or Mahamudra and then renamed it and pretended that he made them up so he could make a lot of money.
  • edited November 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »
    I'd say he's not a finger pointing at the moon. He's a finger pointing to himself while he tells you about the moon.

What a wonderful way of expressing this! That is the impression that I have of many gurus, both new age and other traditions.

To come back to the point that you made about 'mistaking' dissociation for progress toward enlightenment; my feeling is that much buddhist practice serves to induce dissociation, but this experience is interpreted and experienced quite differently to the dissociation experienced due to mental illness. They seem to be very similar, the only difference being the voluntary nature of it and the interpretation as being 'progress' rather than 'suffering'. It would be interesting to know what was going on neurologically.....

Metta
  • edited November 2010
    so he could make a lot of money.

My understanding is that he lives a very modest lifestyle and is very, very generous to charity.

He seems sincere.

Metta
  • edited November 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    My understanding is that he lives a very modest lifestyle and is very, very generous to charity.

He seems sincere.

Metta
    He seems like a fraud to me.
    Also kinda creepy to be honest.
    edited November 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    What a wonderful way of expressing this! That is the impression that I have of many gurus, both new age and other traditions.

To come back to the point that you made about 'mistaking' dissociation for progress toward enlightenment; my feeling is that much buddhist practice serves to induce dissociation, but this experience is interpreted and experienced quite differently to the dissociation experienced due to mental illness. They seem to be very similar, the only difference being the voluntary nature of it and the interpretation as being 'progress' rather than 'suffering'. It would be interesting to know what was going on neurologically.....

Metta

It would indeed. I became rather disillusioned with the quest for Satori early in my Zen path when I realized it was focusing on the door instead of what was on the other side of it. I got the impression that was a big hangup for a lot of Western folks.

The descriptions as given by the Masters seems to indicate a brief dissasociation. As much as it can be described. But the immediate next step is to go to a Master to have the awakening confirmed. And, that doesn't mean a person can immediately answer all koans and is perfect in their understanding. It's only a door they have finally walked through.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010

I have not read Tolle, too NewsAgey for me but I believe he just picks up concepts from places like Buddhism and uses them to promote his own Tolleism ie books and promotional materials. Sometimes on the surface things seem familiar, but on deeper inspection, they are far from the same.

I am sure he helps people in the Oprah, self help, sense of things but I doubt his is a complete system AND that when he uses concepts that may seem familiar in Buddhism - he does not get them from insight, just from repetition/plagiarism of sorts. That type of help I assume is more superficial as opposed to a Buddhist system of practice, which can be liberative in the true sense for example.

That's my bias and take on Tolle.
    edited November 2010

That's good for you being :) Thanks for sharing.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I like him.

He's done the incredible work of bringing maybe millions of people out of hopeless darkness, toward taking the first steps in the right direction.

The simple teaching of being here now can bring "miraculous" changes in many people's life.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010

How is it different then Buddhism?
    edited November 2010
    Mindfulness is a good start, an important step but only one step in the 8-Fold path.

Here is the problem with having a mind trained to the here-and-now as a spiritual goal. Someone who breaks into your house, picks up a knife, walks over and stabs you with it can and usually is being totally mindful of what they're doing. A person can be totally in the here-and-now and still acting out of selfish desire.

But, unless you're being mindful, you can't work on the other 7 parts of the 8-Fold Path.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Mindfulness is a good start, an important step but only one step in the 8-Fold path.
    There are many paths; even in Buddhism.
    Here is the problem with having a mind trained to the here-and-now as a spiritual goal.
    First you make the assumption that being here and now is a "goal".
    It is a tool.
    Someone who breaks into your house, picks up a knife, walks over and stabs you with it can and usually is being totally mindful of what they're doing. A person can be totally in the here-and-now and still acting out of selfish desire.
    acting out of selfish desire is not a problem with being here and now; it's the problem of human suffering.
    edited November 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    I like him.

He's done the incredible work of bringing maybe millions of people out of hopeless darkness, toward taking the first steps in the right direction.

The simple teaching of being here now can bring "miraculous" changes in many people's life.

If so, good for him. Thanks for sharing.
    edited November 2010
    There are many paths; even in Buddhism.

First you make the assumption that being here and now is a "goal".
    It is a tool.

acting out of selfish desire is not a problem with being here and now; it's the problem of human suffering.

All true, and why I was pointing out the pitfalls of someone only teaching a part of the 8-Fold path, in this case Mindfulness. It is a tool, not the ultimate goal.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited November 2010
    As someone who has been learning buddhism for many years, here is what I think about Tolle.
    Buddhism as represented by Theravada, Mahayana and Tibetan schools is a mixed bag of insight cluttered by cultural and traditional baggage. It is very confusing for a seeker.
    Tolle presents his idea with the utmost clarity, free of cultural and traditional baggage,
    He is the closest thing to an enlightened person that I have ever encountered.

If you have some knowledge about Buddhism, try listening to Tolle. Through him, I finally understand what Buddhism is trying to teach.

By the way, if you dont want to buy Tolle’s books, many videos are available on youtube.
    edited November 2010
    As someone who has been learning buddhism for many years, here is what I think about Tolle.
    Buddhism as represented by Theravada, Mahayana and Tibetan schools is a mixed bag of insight cluttered by cultural and traditional baggage. It is very confusing for a seeker.

Well no they are not, if you know what you are looking for.

I am sure Tolle is Easy-Lite though. No doubt on that one.

If that's what you're looking for, go for it, but don't imagine that it is the same as what Buddhism offers i.e. transcendent liberation.
    edited November 2010
    "The past has no power over the present moment."
    — Eckhart Tolle

"This, too, will pass."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Having commented on this thread three times now I thought it fair for me to read a bit of him. Having scanned, he sounds exactly as I had imagined he would be - full of New Age, nice sounding quips that you could get from a nice Grandmother. I am very happy and have no doubt that he can 'help' many people the world over and for that I am thankful, but to imagine he offers the same path - or can translate directly and clearly - the path of Buddhism, is I think a bit ... misunderstood :)

He also seems to have ripped off quite a few Buddhist concepts and ideas, but if it makes him money, good for him. Better if it helps people come to peace and lead lives that do not harm others. But that is not so easy if that were even his aim. And who knows what his intentions are, still he makes a good tosh of it so good for him. And good for anyone that finds he helps in their life.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Is being cynical Right Speach?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    and condescension a desirable attitude? ;)
    Strawman arguments FTW!! ;)

(to Floating_Abu, not thickpaper)

just playing ;)
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I have to say I pondered a lot, if I should say anything about this and deleted what I had wrote a couple of times. :) But after seeing these last two new posts, I concluded I was not alone feeling, that something should be said. Still am not sure, if it is the right thing to do, tho. :P

I find some posts in this thread quite surprising. Hard to see any real good intentions and sincerity of posts mixed with cynicism and negative judgments.
    It's like saying to someone: "Hey, I think you're a complete selfish retard and should shoot yourself. But it's okay. I wish you well."
    edited November 2010

If you ask me if psychology is the same as Buddhist practice, I would say no, there are similarities but they are not the same. If someone sold them as the same, I would point it out. If you call that cynicism, then that's your choice. And only sugar coated messages appear 'Buddhist'. I remember I thought that.

Best wishes,
    Abu
    edited November 2010
    It's like saying to someone: "Hey, I think you're a complete selfish retard and should shoot yourself. But it's okay. I wish you well."

That's not very nice.
    edited November 2010
    and condescension a desirable attitude? ;)
    Strawman arguments FTW!! ;)

(to Floating_Abu, not thickpaper)

just playing ;)

Point out the strawmen patbb.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That's not very nice.
    Yeah. That's what I was trying to refer to. :o
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    If you ask me if psychology is the same as Buddhist practice, I would say no, there are similarities but they are not the same. If someone sold them as the same, I would point it out. If you call that cynicism
    I don't think this was the part he was referring to as cynicism... ;)
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. That's what I was trying to refer to. :o

Dear being

That's just your interpretation - did you get that part. And it wasn't a nice one or an accurate one so that wasn't very nice.

Thanks,
    Abu
    edited November 2010

Which part patbb? And the strawmen, please point it out.
    edited November 2010

No it wasn't:) I was referring to the cynicism of being negative about something just because it is not one's own view. I am not sure how such actions can be considered "Right Speech," in any sense.

namaste
    edited November 2010
    No it wasn't:) I was referring to the cynicism of being negative about something just because it is not one's own view. I am not sure how such actions can be considered "Right Speech," in any sense.

namaste

I pointed out that his path is not Buddhism. And yes, money spinning New Age stuff - it is true I am not so amenable to. There is real suffering in this world which requires genuine liberation and transformation -- but that is just my bias. Sorry if I have tainted your own view of Right Speech, thickpaper.
    edited November 2010
    I pointed out that his path is not Buddhism.

I dont think he claims it is Buddhism. Does his path follow the middle path? It seems to to me from what I know. If it doesn't then could you explain where he contradicts Dharma?

And yes, money spinning New Age stuff

Maybe yes. I don't know the answer to that. I wouldn't make that accusation unless I have evidence rather than mere opinion upon it; with is prejudice.
    - it is true I am not so amenable to. There is real suffering in this world which requires genuine liberation and transformation -- but that is just my bias.

Sure, but I don't think the Buddha would have held your view. It aways used to amaze me how pro-other religions HHDL is, but now I think I get it, and it certainly isn't a cyncial instruction he makes.

I think if we want to be modern informed Buddhists then we should loose the bogus notion that if everyone was Buddhists there would be no suffering. There are still huge engines of suffering in terms of all manner of political and economic forces. In the same way, if Eckart Tolle is reducing Dukka, which millions claim he is, then surely that should be respected rather than criticized and slandered?
    Sorry if I have tainted your own view of Right Speech, thickpaper

I have guess I have caused Dukka online. I think many of us talking here have. I think we should always try to reduce rather than cause dukka as we talk here, hard though that is:p Do you agree?

namaste
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I have not read any of Eckhart Tolle's books, they don't interest me. My sister reads him and believes that he has helped her to reduce her suffering. She is a successful drug and alcohol counselor and interventionist. She makes a good living at it. Many of her clients think that she is an angel who has saved their lives. No one yet has said that the money they spent trying to save their loved one or themselves was not well spent. If Eckhart Tolle has helped my sister to help other people, then thats all I need to know. I am not about to buy any of his books but I would recommend them to someone if I thought they were seeking some insight but weren't open to Buddhism.
    edited November 2010
    robot wrote: »
    I have not read any of Eckhart Tolle's books, they don't interest me. My sister reads him and believes that he has helped her to reduce her suffering. She is a successful drug and alcohol counselor and interventionist. She makes a good living at it. Many of her clients think that she is an angel who has saved their lives. No one yet has said that the money they spent trying to save their loved one or themselves was not well spent. If Eckhart Tolle has helped my sister to help other people, then thats all I need to know. I am not about to buy any of his books but I would recommend them to someone if I thought they were seeking some insight but weren't open to Buddhism.

I would agree with that entirely. Thanks for the relay.
    edited November 2010
    I dont think he claims it is Buddhism. Does his path follow the middle path? It seems to to me from what I know. If it doesn't then could you explain where he contradicts Dharma?

Well Thich Nhat Hanh said the three Dhamma seals of Dhamma teaching are annica, anatta, and dukkha. If a teaching does not share that, it is not genuine, says the Venerable One.
    Ajahn Sumedho teaches the freedom of awareness, of the Four Noble Truths.

But apart from that of course. Does his path offer the light of insight, that which knows the five skandhas not as not-self but not-self and yet also Self. Does it shine the light of non-division between that which is seen, heard, touched with that which sees, hears and touches. Does it offer the path of Satori, that which sees everything as indivisible from oneself. Does one know the workings of karma, of conditionality. Is there Dependent Origination, that which forms this whole world of time and space. Does it point to that which is before time and space, yet is never apart from it. Does it genuinely and transformatively transform the heart/mind, whence anger once consuming, becomes consumed, and then...well it is different.

I have no doubt as I have said multiple times above - that if he helps people, that is good. And I have no doubt that there are many that find solaces in such messages and quips. And I think it is good if that is what people are looking for and interested in but it is not Buddhism.

This is an example of what Buddha has taught amongst other things
    There is a sphere where there is neither earth nor water nor heat nor air, for it is beyond the field of matter; nor is it the sphere of infinite space, or consciousness, for it is beyond the field of mind. There is not the condition of nothingness, neither is there the state of this world or another world, nor sun nor moon. This is the uncreated. This condition I call neither arising nor passing away, neither dying nor being born. It is without form and without change. It is the eternal, which never originates and never passes away. To find it is the end of sorrow.

Udana Sutta

The fact that he also copy cats Buddhist ideas is also somewhat not amenable to me but perhaps you are right, I am too pig headed on that, and if he helps, then perhaps that is a fine thing.
    Maybe yes. I don't know the answer to that. I wouldn't make that accusation unless I have evidence rather than mere opinion upon it; with is prejudice.

New Agey just means they are light words and sentences, things that can help peoples' outlooks and ways of thinking. If it helps though then that's nice.
    Sure, but I don't think the Buddha would have held your view. It aways used to amaze me how pro-other religions HHDL is, but now I think I get it, and it certainly isn't a cyncial instruction he makes.

I can't speak for the Buddha and I am very appreciative of HH's messages. I would say the same thing but again if someone asked, it is more than obvious that Buddhism is not the same as reading Tolle.

Why do you say it is cynical to point out a fact? You see, HH speaks as a general audience and for that I would say the same. Please grant me that.
    I think if we want to be modern informed Buddhists then we should loose the bogus notion that if everyone was Buddhists there would be no suffering. There are still huge engines of suffering in terms of all manner of political and economic forces. In the same way, if Eckart Tolle is reducing Dukka, which millions claim he is, then surely that should be respected rather than criticized and slandered?

Where has be been slandered, thickpaper? Because I pointed out his writings are not Buddhism, that they are not a complete path of liberation and transformation?

Please understand, I completely agree with you, if he has helped people, wonderful. If he is of help, I am thankful. If however people imagine he is teaching Awakening in the sense that Gautama Buddha did, then I would say no, sorry he does not.

Not everyone needs Awakening but they should know which direction to look in if that is what they are after. And I fully agree, not everyone needs Buddhism, that is also fine, and absolutely so. The Dharma is never absent anyway.
    I have guess I have caused Dukka online. I think many of us talking here have. I think we should always try to reduce rather than cause dukka as we talk here, hard though that is:p Do you agree?

namaste

You are a sweetheart and very nice. Thankyou for your challenge and thankyou for this discussion, it has been a long time for me.

Thankyou again.

Blessings.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited November 2010
    You're talking like there would be different kinds of awakenings and only certain conceptions, which will lead to "the Buddhist awakening". I don't think that's right and I don't think that's what Buddha was trying to teach. What ever gets people closer to enlightenment, helps. Even if it's someone realizing everything on their own, without any 'outer' teachings.

As I have already described in this thread, I was one of those, whose eyes Eckhart's words opened. Thanks to his book, which was NOT focused to any religion, but just explanations of how things are. And with time this (and learning meditation) made me open towards Buddhism. Step by step I became understanding of Buddhas teachings.
  • edited November 2010
    I have read The Power of Now and A New Earth. I don't doubt that Tolle had an awakening and speaks from his own realization. I think he is well-intentioned and what he promotes is healthy. I am again amazed at how people don't try to understand something from its own side before tearing a strip off of it.

Taxonomy is not understanding. Also, without actually having so much as met this gentleman it is really difficult for me to understand how an ordinary person let alone a buddhist practitioner can speak so harshly of his motivation. There is no question that what Tolle teaches lacks many of the pedagogical devices and other skillful means that Buddhism has. I also believe that his realization is not total. None of this should prevent one from acknowledging that what he is doing is positive and well meaning.
    edited November 2010
    Why do you say it is cynical to point out a fact?

Because it is not a fact you point out, it is a negative opinion based on your prejudices.

namaste
  • edited November 2010
    I bought the audio book "The Power of Now" on itunes and couldn't get through the first 30 minutes before I decided it wasn't for me.

I'll stick with teachers I feel more sure of such as Ajahns Sumedho and Amaro.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The man will collect some speaking fees, his self-help books will sell some copies and most will end up in thrift stores, and perhaps his message will spark a few people to seek something deeper.

We all have our opinions, and mine differs considerably from yours. "A New Earth" is in large part responsible for my finding the Buddhist path to start with. It took a wise teacher to catalyze things, but I had more "ah ha!" moments from reading Tolle than I had from anything before that.

Yes, he's more "pop" than lots of Buddhist teachers, but then he's aiming at a different audience. If he only ever made a difference in one life, I think he would be successful. And he definitely did that with me. And I know I'm not the only one.

karmadorje wrote: »
    ...it is really difficult for me to understand how an ordinary person let alone a buddhist practitioner can speak so harshly of his motivation.

I quite agree. If it's not for you, that's fine. But don't rip him because of it. Can you spell "ego"?
    edited November 2010
    Because it is not a fact you point out, it is a negative opinion based on your prejudices.

namaste

We all talk based on our opinions and understandings :)
    edited November 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    I quite agree. If it's not for you, that's fine. But don't rip him because of it. Can you spell "ego"?

Can you, Mountains?