Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So, Nothing is Set in Stone?

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
This question is meant with the upmost respect for Buddhism, but I'm just wondering people's thoughts on this. :)

So, according to Buddhism, nothing is permanent? Everything is always changing? Well... does that mean 2 + 2 = 4 won't be that way forever, or... what? :wtf:

Comments

• I think in Buddhist world abstract things like numbers don't really matter that much.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I think in Buddhist world abstract things like numbers don't really matter that much.
    True, true. I suppose one could say numbers don't really exist in the first place, at least not independently.
  • There was a thread about that just recently. I'll bet if you do a search for it you'll find it.

Numbers are concepts that exist only in the human mind, therefore, they are dependently arising phenomena because they depend on the human mind for their "existence".
  • edited December 2010
    What is interesting for me is how correct Buddha was about physical things always changing given how long ago he wrote it. I saw a show about how cities will disappear and be reclaimed by the earth in a very short amount of time (100s of years). Science it seems is leaning towards this on every level from atoms in your body to the universe. Maybe he wasn't thinking it out to this level but, I still am amazed at how this seems to be a fundamental law of our universe.
  • This question is meant with the upmost respect for Buddhism, but I'm just wondering people's thoughts on this. :)

So, according to Buddhism, nothing is permanent? Everything is always changing? Well... does that mean 2 + 2 = 4 won't be that way forever, or... what? :wtf:
    2 plus 2 equals four, and will continue to be true until such time as the conventional truths change. A paradigm shift of reality will change the answer.
    Do not hold your breath waiting for a paradigm shift of reality, but, in fact the time will come when 2 + 2, will not equal 4.

If you put 2 hamsters in a cage with 2 other hamsters, you will have four hamsters in the cage for a month or two. In six months you may find over thirty hamsters in the cage.

• It all depends on what you mean by '2' really doesn't it?
  • If you lose 7 fingers and become stupid then it changes.
  • The laws of reality, or how things work, don't change. Conventional truths do. A conventional truth can at best represent what is observed in reality. We created math as a system of representing reality, and so in a way the math will always be true; but, the math itself is a system created by humans and dependent upon humans preserving and using it to exist.

The reality that math represents is the Dharma. Math itself is a conditioned phenomena that arose due to conditions, changes due to conditions, and will cease to be based on conditions.
  • Dharma is itself dependently arisen phenomena, so I don't think I agree Cloud. Laws are diagnostic concepts created by humans to describe certain regularities in apparent phenomena. Whether those laws actually closely mimic the phenomena they purport to is a practical matter only. Whether they continue to do so in the same way ad infinitum is also speculative.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    How we describe reality is dependently arisen phenomena. However, the Dharma (i.e. Impermanence) is how reality works independently of us. The arisen phenomena will always be in flux, becoming new things, but there is an underlying "way". That is the part that doesn't change. There may not be any humans or hamsters in the future, but everything that arises will at some point cease. If we don't believe that, we're speculating. :) The only point in time that our science thinks the laws of reality worked otherwise was a microfraction of a microfraction of a second during The Big Bang, and so far they haven't found any evidence to support it yet. Otherwise as far as our experiences go, as our sciences go, and as the Buddha's teachings go, the Dharma is, always was, will always be.

All I meant about the math is that math is conditioned, but that doesn't change the true aspect that if an amount is put with an amount, you have a greater/larger amount and so forth; not in so many words (in fact in no words at all), but there's a truth there. It would still depend upon an observer to notice it, but the tree in the forest still makes a sound regardless.

The statement "Dharma is itself dependently arisen phenomena" doesn't make any sense unless you're talking about the teachings themselves (which are phenomena); I was talking about the Dharma (the truths that the Buddha-Dharma point toward, not the Buddha-Dharma itself). Dharma is the law or nature of all phenomena -- impermanent, without an abiding self, and so forth. These are what can be directly experienced, and by the enlightened mind known without any further doubt, but to think that things are or can be other than what is in direct experience... that is speculating. :)
  • The dharma is dependently arisen. Condition of ignorance for it to exist. If ignorance is gone there is no dharma.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I have been and remain terrible at math, but it seems to me that I remember some aspect of math in which numbers did indeed change meaning ... perhaps according to the assumptions or format that preceded them?

I'm really on wobbly ground here, but I think 2+2=4 will always be true only so long as the mind imagines it's true.

Please don't yell at me. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The dharma is dependently arisen. Condition of ignorance for it to exist. If ignorance is gone there is no dharma.
    When you use dharma to mean the teachings, then yes. But those teachings are a tool to seeing the true Dharma, that which is independent of view; non-dual. There is a reality, and there is a nature to that reality. The first we call "suchness", the second "Dharma" (as in law; not teachings). The Dharma is the unconditioned because it is the force of conditioning, and all phenomena are that which the Dharma conditions.

The Buddha realized the unconditioned. This did not break him out of being conditioned, but did break him out of the cycle of Samsara (Dependent Origination, which requires Ignorance to continue). His teachings were called the dharma, but they are the finger pointing toward the moon; the Dharma. It's easier to use small "d" and big "D" to differentiate, but not everyone does.
  • How we describe reality is dependently arisen phenomena. However, the Dharma (i.e. Impermanence) is how reality works independently of us.
    The Buddha specifically avoided making such metaphysical claims. How would we know how reality works apart from our observation of said reality? In any case, he concerned himself with mind and its nature-- how we could learn to liberate ourselves from the negative emotions of attachment, aversion and ignorance.

The arisen phenomena will always be in flux, becoming new things, but there is an underlying "way". That is the part that doesn't change.
    There may not be any humans or hamsters in the future, but everything that arises will at some point cease. If we don't believe that, we're speculating. :) The only point in time that our science thinks the laws of reality worked otherwise was a microfraction of a microfraction of a second during The Big Bang, and so far they haven't found any evidence to support it yet. Otherwise as far as our experiences go, as our sciences go, and as the Buddha's teachings go, the Dharma is, always was, will always be.
    Science is far less deterministic than you make it out to be, at least when considering theoretical physics. Probability theory for example is pretty wild in its ramifications. Laws are constructs of the human mind based on observation of phenomena. We speculate that they will always be operative because we have no evidence to the contrary. The planet *could* change into a giant grapefruit tomorrow. It just isn't very likely.

All I meant about the math is that math is conditioned, but that doesn't change the true aspect that if an amount is put with an amount, you have a greater/larger amount and so forth; not in so many words (in fact in no words at all), but there's a truth there. It would still depend upon an observer to notice it, but the tree in the forest still makes a sound regardless.
    How wonderful that you have solved the Schrodinger's cat paradox with one flourish of your keyboard! A healthy uncertainty makes for good science AND good buddhist practice, in my opinion. The argument you are making about math is not that it is true, but rather that it is valid, i.e. because we have accepted a convention that 2+2=4 that it will always be so. However, we could just as easily come up with a system where 2+2=5. That's the nature of convention.

FYI the statement "Dharma is itself dependently arisen phenomena" doesn't make any sense. Dharma isn't phenomena unless you're talking about the teachings themselves;
    The expression you want is "IMO" or "IMHO", not "FYI". The statement makes perfect sense to me. The teachings arise in dependence on a fully enlightened buddha. They exist for a time, then they disappear.

I was talking about the Dharma (the truths that the Buddha-Dharma point toward, not the Buddha-Dharma itself). Dharma is the law or nature of all phenomena -- impermanent, without an abiding self, and so forth. These are what can be directly experienced, and by the enlightened mind known without any further doubt, but to think that things are or can be other than what is in direct experience... that is speculating. :)
    You are going to have to unpack that more. Are you saying that there is some truth that is not dependently arising that is a characteristic of dependently arisen phenomena? That seems incoherent.

• Words will never do. Nevermind.
  • Words will never do. Nevermind.
    I sympathize with you cloud!

Actually Chandrakirti constantly said the same sort of thing in his great work, the "Madhyamakavatara". He basically said that since on the ultimate level words cannot describe emptiness, or the dependent nature of phenomena that goes beyond all extremes, whenever we do resort to using words this takes it down to the conventional level of understanding. Of course we need language to convey information and ideas and so-forth, but...

I think that Chandrakirti has a brilliant approach.

• I don't think it is nearly so inscrutable, Mani. What we are discussing is something simple. Dharma was expounded to remove delusion. The buddhajnana that is revealed when delusion is cleared away (so to speak) is not the dharma itself.

If one reacts in fear because one views a rope as a snake, and someone tells you "There is no snake, you are confused" and you then see the mistake you have made, that does not make no-snake-ness a characteristic of the rope. It is only a characteristic of one's own confusion.
  • Cloud, for what it's worth, thank you. I totally understand how you described The Dharma/Dhamma. I have read about it over and over, from many sources, and none make it as clear to me as your explanation. Dharma/Dhamma=The True Nature of Things. The dhamma/dharma=the TEACHING of the true nature of things. Awesome. It makes sense that while one explanation works for person A, another explanation might be needed for person B. Thank you.

As to your question MindGate, I believe the Buddha was referencing the material ie. "formed" world, not mental concepts. 2+2=4 is obvious, you can see it from direct experience. And I believe the Buddha put a great deal of value on direct experience.

And for those of you about to jump me, I know the Buddha referred to impermanence on feelings as well, but that is not what I meant. Thanks!
  • edited December 2010
    2 + 2 = 4 exists only in an intellectually philosophical dimension when love has lost. You can never find 2 + 2 = 4 when love in first sight, for instance. If nothing is set in stone, your purpose of life is pathetically meaningless and aimless, like walking dead :eek2:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Then my work here is done Freethinker. :) You're very welcome, and thank you as well.
  • Cloud I agree. In the mahayana that is set off as the dharmakaya. Or truth body (emptiness).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I don't mind if people don't agree with me. It makes me happy even if one person understood what I was getting at (and at least one person did). That's what makes it worth all the effort; that's why I'm here.
  • Clouds different people have different needs. Therevada also does not have emptiness. When you realize emptiness you see buddha face to face but it is not able to be conceptualized as Shakyamuni so they call it the bliss body.

Dharmakaya is also different because it is the buddha (within context of reliance on triple gem) but it cannot be conceptualized as Shakyamuni or the bliss body.

We hear this all the time. Protextants asking Catholics not to pray to Mary. Clouds we are on two very related branches of the same tree. As we get closer to the root of suffering we join again. Then the dharma is just suchness. Thus gone to the other shore.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I just think it's been over-complicated. :)
  • This question is meant with the upmost respect for Buddhism, but I'm just wondering people's thoughts on this. :)

I think it is important to realise that impermanence is about all conditioned things. that is, all things that might be or might not be, that were or could have been. Something that could have been otherwise.

So all of the things in this universe are impermanent, but maths and logic and the dharmic truths themselves do not seem to be conditioned, 2+2=4 isn't conditioned.

namaste

• I agree that you think its overcomplicated ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The truth isn't overcomplicated, just the explanations we have of it. Over time it's become more and more complicated, instead of more simple and easy to understand. And so it's "been" overcomplicated; our bad. :)
  • I agree. I like that. Just do the right thing. Thats all. But I like to study the Mahayana so I feel more secure. I like that.
  • The truth isn't overcomplicated, just the explanations we have of it. Over time it's become more and more complicated, instead of more simple and easy to understand. And so it's "been" overcomplicated; our bad. :)
    I agree very much with you, this seems especially true of Dharma. Its simple beauty, clarity and wisdom has been subsumed into a morass rituals and opinions and lineages and schools and doctrines.

The Buddha could convey the totality of dharma in one evening, if we are to believe the suttras. I fear if he had to convey what now is Buddhism it would take even Lord Buddha a little more than a night in a potting shed.

It is very much "our bad" I feel, and also only up to us as all to simplify and clarify and bring back from over-complication.

How about this, you, we, all of us on this forum, we write a book on Buddhism on this forum that seeks to simplify dharma for the audience of New Buddhists. Where there are different views to be expressed, we can express all views in the book. I am constantly learning here, and I think there is a wealth of info and insight amongst us that could produce a very organic and useful book for those interested in Buddhism? Would you be into such a project Cloud?

Namaste

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Sorta started on a project like that, wiki-style, using a program that makes offline wikis called Zim. Had it all under "Buddha-Dharma"; the Four Noble Truths fell under that, and of course the Noble Eightfold Path under that. I didn't get very far yet. Started it about a week and a half ago but have spent more time making a game and other stuff.

Explain all of those in enough succinct detail without extraneous complications, add in two or three reliable methods of meditation, and you're good. So if something like that was done by a community or a forum, or even a group, it'd be good yes. It wouldn't please everyone though, especially when it comes to rebirth and reincarnation. Many have taken it personally, which is what you're not supposed to do. All of this is impersonal, even this life.
  • It all depends on what you mean by '2' really doesn't it?
    Yes. What exactly are we referring to when we say "2"? This is entirely dependent on our perception. Numbers and words are nothing more than a mental "map" of reality.

• edited December 2010
    It all depends on what you mean by '2' really doesn't it?
    Yes. What exactly are we referring to when we say "2"? This is entirely dependent on our perception. Numbers and words are nothing more than a mental "map" of reality.

That is very true. We must remember that maps are only useful *because* they misrepresent in an orderly way what they are modelling. A map that was a true representation of what it modeled would not be useful as it would be identical in size and detail to what it models. Imagine a roadmap that had every pebble and pothole on every road.

This is what makes the whole discussion of foundational truths so perilous. Our "-isms" are roadmaps, not the territory itself. If we assume that they are more than that, we get stuck eating the menu instead of the meal.

• 2 + 2 is 4.
  • 2 busch NA + 2 cups decaf = 4 peas

{2,2,4}

3 variables or unknowns and 1 equation. Therefore 1 more equations are needed to solve for busch NA and decaf in relation to peas.

{2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,4,4,4,4}

Lots of equations are needed to solve for the variables b, u, s, c, h, N, A, C, u, p, s, d, e, c, a, f, p, e,a,s

something like that I forgot the notation.

One time I went to a frat party and ended up getting some peace in the graveyard by my dorm. So confusing. It felt so peaceful. Weird I know. It was spontaneous and I still wonder.
  • I have been and remain terrible at math, but it seems to me that I remember some aspect of math in which numbers did indeed change meaning ... perhaps according to the assumptions or format that preceded them?

I'm really on wobbly ground here, but I think 2+2=4 will always be true only so long as the mind imagines it's true.

Please don't yell at me. :)
    Can the mind realise it is not true, and in that case is 2+2=4 or .. what. I cannot imagine, I assume, the unimagineable.

Thankyou for any tips.

Bo