Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How many believe in reincarnation?

edited March 2011 in General Banter
A newbie question, can we come back as lets say eagles or sea horses? Or just people? One other when you become enlightened you enter the cosmos correct? How is it described prease. THANKS guy peace and love.

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I do not believe YOU come back as anything, considering there is no YOU to begin with. Care for me to explain?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Many modern Buddhists, including many on this site, either don't beleive in reincarnation, or have a slightly different version than the tradition interpretation.

Still, i'll answer your questions from the traditional perspective.
    Can we come back as lets say eagles or sea horses? Or just people?
    According to Buddhist tradition, the 'animal realm' is a 'lower' realm than the human realm. So you can come back as an animal, but it's usually because you generated a bunch of bad karma in your human lifetime. If you generally stay on the right track as a human, you'll be re-born as a human ..
    One other when you become enlightened you enter the cosmos correct? How is it described prease. THANKS guy peace and love.
    If you become enlightened and then you 'die' in the normal sense, you enter a place called 'Para-nirvana', the final nirvana. A place beyond birth, death, suffering, karma & samsara.
  • yes, I believe in rebirth.

...you are already in the cosmos.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    To me questions of rebirth or reincarnation are moot questions. These things are imponderable, they are unknowable. To me they are concepts and their consideration will add nothing to my practice and IMO will only detract from my practice. It all my be very well true but does it really matter?
    With metta,
    Todd
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    a) We can't prove or disprove it.
    b) Clinging to existence is a form of dukkha.

Given that, the conclusion is that even if it's true that we're either reborn or reincarnated, clinging to such a view is clinging to (self) existence, which is a form of dukkha and must be abandoned in order to progress on the path toward enlightenment. The longer we hold onto it, the stronger it's likely to be. Best to start detaching, facing the inevitability of death, losing all self-centered clinging.

• Given that, the conclusion is that even if it's true that we're either reborn or reincarnated, clinging to such a view is clinging to (self) existence, which is a form of dukkha and must be abandoned
    Cloud, it's not like we /want/ to be reborn; we're practicing Buddhism in part because we hope to escape the cycle of rebirth. So we're not clinging; to the contrary. But this is the view that some of the texts expound, so we're discussing it. Non-clingingly discussing.... ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Actually c_w, some people do want to be reborn. They don't see fully the truth of dukkha, and they see Nirvana as the annihilation of a self/soul. They're afraid. Probably more Buddhists want to be reborn in modern times than want to end rebirth (in a literal sense). To a lot of people, rebirth isn't so bad. Life isn't so bad. They'd much prefer to keep living, new life after new life, than become enlightened. I think this is delusional self-clinging at work, as enlightenment is simply seeing things clearly and not destroying some permanent soul; only changing our wrong thoughts into right thoughts, seeing reality clearly.

Views greatly differ amongst practitioners, on many things, but the need for self-preservation is very strong and difficult to let go. The moment it becomes an issue of annihilation of an essence that is "yours", that goes from life to life and lets you keep living, it becomes possible to look at enlightenment in this way and to fear it. I don't think the Buddha actually taught that this transmigration takes place according to a sutra in which he rebukes a monk for thinking so (MN 38), but it's become a popular idea in Mahayana and Vajrayana...
  • without rebirth, what is then samsara?
    no rebirth puts the Dharma too closely related to materialism.
  • edited March 2011
    Actually c_w, some people do want to be reborn. They don't see fully the truth of dukkha, and they see Nirvana as the annihilation of a self/soul. They're afraid. Probably more Buddhists want to be reborn in modern times than want to end rebirth (in a literal sense).
    I didn't know. (Are you sure? You've talked to people about this?) Then they're not following the teachings. We're supposed to let go of fear in general, and, as you said, let go of clinging to the cycle of rebirth. I thought wanting to end the cycle of rebirth was one of the primary motivations for becoming a Buddhist. According to the teachings, anyway. (Right?) But I guess a lot of people become Buddhists to try to improve their lives, maybe, first and foremost. (?)

Samsara is in this lifetime, Vincenzi. Anyway, weren't you saying earlier, when you first joined, that this was your last rebirth?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi PeaceandLove and Daozen,
    One other when you become enlightened you enter the cosmos correct? How is it described prease. THANKS guy peace and love.
    If you become enlightened and then you 'die' in the normal sense, you enter a place called 'Para-nirvana', the final nirvana. A place beyond birth, death, suffering, karma & samsara.
    Nibbana/Nirvana is not a "place" that Enlightened Beings go when they die...Nibbana/Nirvana means "going out"...like the flame of a candle "goes out". There's no place where Enlightened Beings live happily ever after, they're gone, there's no place you can find them!

Metta,

Guy
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @compassionate_warrior, Letting go of fear isn't easy. Facing death isn't easy. People struggle with this every day, just being Buddhists isn't going to make it that much easier. It takes a lot of self-honesty, courage and effort (and time). It's a beautiful thing when someone can do this, Anatta is the most difficult teaching to penetrate IMHO (along with emptiness which includes it).

A good deal of people do become Buddhists to alleviate suffering, but the (wrong) view that they're annihilating the part of them that lives again and again is frightening and they may not want to go that far. I have heard this expressed many times over. Enlightenment isn't the goal for many people, at least not in this life.

Literal rebirth views can lead to this fear, plus as I said earlier it's a form of clinging to existence. On both counts it's a hindrance to awakening/enlightenment. We should try and see rebirth in a non-personal way, a selfless way, and act out of compassion for the whole of sentient life and not for the self (or out of fear).
  • Actually c_w, some people do want to be reborn. They don't see fully the truth of dukkha, and they see Nirvana as the annihilation of a self/soul. They're afraid. Probably more Buddhists want to be reborn in modern times than want to end rebirth (in a literal sense).
    I didn't know. (Are you sure? You've talked to people about this?) Then they're not following the teachings. We're supposed to let go of fear in general, and, as you said, let go of clinging to the cycle of rebirth. I thought wanting to end the cycle of rebirth was one of the primary motivations for becoming a Buddhist. According to the teachings, anyway. (Right?) But I guess a lot of people become Buddhists to try to improve their lives, maybe, first and foremost. (?)

Samsara is in this lifetime, Vincenzi. Anyway, weren't you saying earlier, when you first joined, that this was your last rebirth?
    I have always tought of samsara as including countless lives... that this was the "common buddhist view".
    ...that para-nirvana was better than death.

I don't remember saying that, maybe that I was working for it.
  • I don't remember saying that, maybe that I was working for it.
    Maybe it was my mistake. I may have misunderstood something you said.

• VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @GuyC @Cloud

what do you think of terms like "deathless" and "un-become" for explaining Nirvana.

maybe after nirvana rebirth doesn't make sense, but it is not death that buddhists seek (it is the opposite).
    I don't remember saying that, maybe that I was working for it.
    Maybe it was my mistake. I may have misunderstood something you said.
    the farthest I have said in public is that this is my last rebirth as a human/in this earth.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Vincenzi, Deathless is seeing that there truly is no death. Unborn that there is truly no birth. There is only this changing into that, that changing into this, a constant flux of impermanent and ownerless aggregates of mind and form following conditionality, arising and falling. To have a view of birth is to think that some "thing" or "person" is born, but there is no unchanging or permanent 'anything', only steadily changing mind and form.

We have to move beyond "conception" and "labels" to see the underlying reality, and then see both at the same time to understand how we arrive at the wrong conclusions. Enlightenment or awakening is the process of the mind breaking through its clinging-views and seeing directly the nature of all phenomena, which unbinds the knot of wrong views and allows one to come to peace, knowing that there's truly nothing destroyed by death.

That's the key. When we see nothing separate or permanent was born in the first place, we know that nothing is lost by death, and our fear of death dissipates (because there's no "I" to die!). We're simply going back to the emptiness from which we came, and new mind and form will arise again at some point regardless.
  • Sometimes I do, esp when I have done sth good.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Vincenzi,
    what do you think of terms like "deathless" and "un-become" for explaining Nirvana.
    Ajahn Brahmali and Ajahn Brahm (to name a few) translate this as "escape from death" rather than the popular "deathless" (which can be taken as being a "place" or a "state" - which may be misleading) translation. The "escape from death" translation makes sense to me when we see how Nibbana is explained in the context of the Vacchagotta Sutta (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.072.than.html).

Metta,

Guy
  • @Cloud
    I mostly agree, but rebirth doesn't imply believing the aggregates are unchanging or permanent... in fact, it just explains how they keep changing. rebirth is a similar process to reincarnation, but there's no atman (unchanging soul).

rebirth is compatible with anatta and with pratitya-samutpada... I guess it is easier to understand them "in parallel".
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011

And yet @Vincenzi, MN 38. ;)

From http://www.leighb.com/mn38.htm concerning transmigration:

Then the Blessed One said: "Sati, is it true, that such an pernicious view has arisen to you. ‘As I know the Teaching of the Blessed One, this consciousness transmigrates through existences, not anything else’?"

"Yes, venerable sir, as I know the Teaching of the Blessed One, this consciousness transmigrates through existences, not anything else."

"Sati, what is that consciousness?"

"Venerable sir, it is that which feels and experiences, that which reaps the results of good and evil actions done here and there."

"Foolish man, to whom do you know me having taught the Dhamma like this. Haven’t I taught, in various ways that consciousness is dependently arisen. Without a cause, there is no arising of consciousness. Yet you, foolish man, on account of your wrong view, you misrepresent me, as well as destroy yourself and accumulate much demerit, for which you will suffer for a long time."
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Aaaanyway, this is pointless. No one ever changes their mind just from debate, even though you have to give up clinging to existence at some point on this path. I'm done for now. :)
  • Hi Vincenzi,
    Ajahn Brahmali and Ajahn Brahm (to name a few) translate this as "escape from death" rather than the popular "deathless" (which can be taken as being a "place" or a "state" - which may be misleading) translation. The "escape from death" translation makes sense to me when we see how Nibbana is explained in the context of the Vacchagotta Sutta (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.072.than.html).

Metta,

Guy
    "escape from death" sounds as a twisted view of suicide (specially since "unborn" will be "escape from birth")...

and the construction doesn't seem as sanskrit/pali.

in a sanskrit dictionary I found amara for deathless...
    and
    māra: hindrance
    mārana: death (and related terms)
    (interesting... mara)

I will love to have the original pali sutra that speaks about deathless, but will venture to say that the concept used is a*-death

*a is a negation.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Cloud,

I don't see how MN 38 in any way contradicts what Vincenzi has said. It simply denies one proposed hypothesis about rebirth; i.e. that consciousness is permanent and is responsible for rebirth. It appears to me that what the Buddha is saying is that consciousness, as well as the other aggregates, are more of a by-product of rebirth rather than the driving force. The driving force, as I understand it, is not consciousness but craving.

Of course, I am open to the possibilty that I am wrong about this and I encourage everyone to come to their own conclusions as I do not want to be responsible for putting wrong views in peoples minds if they believe what I say is true when it actually turns out to not be true... :)

Metta,

Guy
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    even if it's true that we're either reborn or reincarnated, clinging to such a view is clinging to (self) existence, which is a form of dukkha and must be abandoned ...
    When is holding a view 'clinging', and when is it simply Right View?

• @Cloud
    that just explains that pratitya-samutpada is the process of rebirth, not transmigration.

for the record, I'm open for debate... it is just that it is not convincing to follow a path that ends being annihilationist.

specially with phrases like this*:
    "consciousness without feature,
    without end,
    luminous all around:"

• Hi guys, my friend who went to a dharma talk and told me this. Its was Ajarn Brahm talk's. He once said that to be able to rebirth in the Human realm, its like a blindfolded turtle swimming in the ocean, trying to locate the life buoy. and if the turtle swim through the life buoy its like chances of reborning into the Human realm. And i do believe in Rebirth, Samsara.
    :)
  • even if it's true that we're either reborn or reincarnated, clinging to such a view is clinging to (self) existence, which is a form of dukkha and must be abandoned ...
    When is holding a view 'clinging', and when is it simply Right View?

in my opinion, any view that is not open to debate is wrong view :P
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Nibbana/Nirvana is not a "place" that Enlightened Beings go when they die...Nibbana/Nirvana means "going out"...like the flame of a candle "goes out". There's no place where Enlightened Beings live happily ever after, they're gone, there's no place you can find them!
    ... and yet Buddha seems to "live on" ... :)

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Aaaanyway, this is pointless. No one ever changes their mind just from debate
    Actually they do, but they just don't admit it at the time. Later on, they secretly admit it to themselves, and then one day, they find they are holding the view they argued so strongly against.

Happens to me all the time.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Vincenzi,

Didn't the Buddha explain that birth and death are suffering?
    "Suffering, as a noble truth, is this: Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, sickness is suffering, death is suffering, sorrow and lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; association with the loathed is suffering, dissociation from the loved is suffering, not to get what one wants is suffering — in short, suffering is the five categories of clinging objects.
    "Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting Rolling the Wheel of Truth" (SN 56.11), translated from the Pali by Ñanamoli Thera. Access to Insight, 14 June 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.nymo.html

Therefore, wouldn't it make sense that Buddhists are striving to remove the causes for birth and death (i.e "escape" birth and death)?

The Buddha describes, to Vacchagotta, that Nibbana is like a flame which "goes out". In fact, this is the very origin of the word "nibbana", it is pre-Buddhist and was used to mean extinguish (e.g. "oh look, that flame just nibbana'd").

Presumably (and this is backed up by the elaboration in the Vacchagotta Sutta) the Buddha used the word Nibbana to negate wrong ideas of "going to a deathless state" when an Enlightened being reaches Pari-Nibbana. In order to "go to a deathless state" presumably there would be something which is "going to" this state...since Nibbana is the extinguishing of craving and since craving is the fuel for the arising of the five aggregates, then surely there can be nothing to "go to" anywhere...the cause for "going to" places has "gone out".

Metta,

Guy
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Guy: good post, thank you!
  • I don't like the connotations of "escape"...

it is along this lines: "nirvana/extinction of dukkha = heaven-after-anatta"

after a point, questionings about self, birth and death are irrelevant... but that doesn't imply death! (put this way it sounds obvious).
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Vincenzi,
    I don't like the connotations of "escape"...
    If you don't like "escape..." then how about "ending of death" or "ending of birth"?

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    @Guy: good post, thank you!
    You're welcome. :)
  • I do believe in reincarnation. My gut says that it happens sometimes. I don't believe it always happens. I believe that death is a lot more complicated than just reincarnation. There is probably a lot more that goes on. Because I do know that spirits are real, so it's a lot more complicated than what even the Buddha could of said. I'm sure he missed plenty.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "Suffering, as a noble truth, is this: Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, sickness is suffering, death is suffering, sorrow and lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; association with the loathed is suffering, dissociation from the loved is suffering, not to get what one wants is suffering — in short, suffering is the five categories of clinging objects.
    Hi Guy

Why underline in a translation the words of conventional reality that are not the essence or purpose of the teaching in terms of ultimate reality?

in short, suffering is the five categories of clinging

;)

BTW, what does "clinging objects" mean?

It is said in scores, even hundreds of suttas, clinging is to regard the five aggregates as "I" and "mine"

There are five ways of clinging rather than five objects that cling

edited March 2011
    we see how Nibbana is explained in the context of the Vacchagotta Sutta
    This sutta is irrelevent. In fact, we must be very careful to cite suttas spoken to Vacchagotta. Vacchagotta was not a Buddhist. The Buddha's answers to Vacchagotta were often different than usual

edited March 2011
    Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting Rolling the Wheel of Truth" (SN 56.11), translated from the Pali by Ñanamoli Thera.
    Looks like Ñanamoli Thera did not really understand what he was translating.

The Buddha recommended we should first have realisation rather than speak from blind faith.

• edited March 2011
    "Clinging objects"......

• ...craving is the fuel for the arising of the five aggregates...
    Hi Guy

What are you actually trying to say here? I cannot understand it.

For example, sankhara khanda is one of the five aggregates. Sankhara khanda is that aggregate that concocts or creates craving. But you appear to be saying the opposite, that craving creates the five aggregates.

If craving is dependent on an aggregate, how can it be the fuel for the arising of the five aggregates?

If craving is the fuel for the arising of the five aggregates, why did not the Buddha's five aggregates vanish the moment his mind extinguished craving?

The suttas clearly state when craving ends the five aggregates remain. The Pali language often is mistranslated therefore it is best to reconcile the suttas with experience or, at least, choose suttas that are not overly esoteric and describe dhammic realities plainly.

As I suggested, the core dhamma is not found in suttas to Vacchagotta. Vacchagotta was a wanderer.

With metta

...If a monk abandons passion for the property of consciousness, then owing to the abandonment of passion, the support is cut off, and there is no landing of consciousness. Consciousness, thus not having landed, not increasing, not concocted, is released. Owing to its release, it is steady. Owing to its steadiness, it is contented. Owing to its contentment, it is not agitated. Not agitated, he (the monk) is totally unbound right within.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.053.than.html
    The four great elements are the cause & condition for the manifestation of the form aggregate.

Contact is the cause & condition for the manifestation of the feeling aggregate, perception aggregate & formations aggregate.

Mind-body is the cause & condition for the manifestation of the consciousness aggregate.

SN 22.82

• Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 CLING ON BABY ALIENS blow up toy inflateable alien

http://picclick.com/6-CLING-ON-BABY-ALIENS-390210375902.html
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi DD,

Here we go again... :)
    Why underline in a translation the words of conventional reality that are not the essence or purpose of the teaching in terms of ultimate reality?
    I underlined that particular part because it was relevant to the point I was making in response to Vincenzi's post.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi DD,
    ...craving is the fuel for the arising of the five aggregates...
    Hi Guy

What are you actually trying to say here? I cannot understand it.

If craving is the fuel for the arising of the five aggregates, why did not the Buddha's five aggregates vanish the moment his mind extinguished craving?
    As I understand it (and I could be wrong, I admit that): When craving is totally removed (i.e. Arahantship is reached) then it is the case that the causes (i.e. craving) for future birth (I know, you think rebirth was just taught to people who want to make merit, but I disagree on this point too and we have already discussed this so I won't go over the reasons why I disagree all over again, it should still be here on this forum if you search for it) have been extinguished.

...(sorry for the long-winded and clumsy sentence, I probably could have seperated it into several sentences, but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at)...

The Buddha's five aggregates were the effects of causes (of craving and kamma) from previous lifetimes. When the Buddha-to-be reached Buddhahood then his craving (which would have given rise to future birth after the death of his physical body) was removed and so he was not to be reborn again.

This is how I understand the Teachings on dependent origination and how it is not in contradiction with the Teachings on rebirth, but in fact they cannot be seperated. I don't believe that the Buddha was simply talking about momentary rebirth - we have talked about this before, I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree...

I may be wrong about any and all of the above, but it makes sense to me, so I am sticking with it for now because it seems to be the least forced, most obvious, interpretation of the Suttas that I have come across.

Metta,

Guy
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

For example, sankhara khanda is one of the five aggregates. Sankhara khanda is that aggregate that concocts or creates craving.
    Sankhara khanda just means all mental phenomena apart from vedana, sanna and vinnana.
    I think you may be confusing this with the second link of DO where sankhara is wholesome or unwholesome volitional activity.

P

You are trying to interpret DO in a simplistic linear fashion and it clearly wasn't intended in this way.

P

Then the Blessed One said: "Sati, is it true, that such an pernicious view has arisen to you. ‘As I know the Teaching of the Blessed One, this consciousness transmigrates through existences, not anything else’?"
    Sati's error is in thinking it's the same consciousness which continues, the Buddha points out it can't be so because consciousness is dependently arisen. I don't think this is particularly relevant to the debate though.

P
    This sutta is irrelevent.
    You mean you don't like what it says. ;-)

P

Therefore, wouldn't it make sense that Buddhists are striving to remove the causes for birth and death (i.e "escape" birth and death)?
    The other way of looking at this is to say that birth ageing and death are only experienced as suffering because of our clinging to the aggregates. With the ceasing of ignorance there is the ceasing of clinging and grasping, and therefore the ceasing of suffering.

P
  • Actually c_w, some people do want to be reborn. They don't see fully the truth of dukkha, and they see Nirvana as the annihilation of a self/soul. They're afraid.
    In fact, some people seem to be proud of being reborn. So ironic...
  • This sutta is irrelevent. In fact, we must be very careful to cite suttas spoken to Vacchagotta. Vacchagotta was not a Buddhist. The Buddha's answers to Vacchagotta were often different than usual.
    It's not clear to me that the sutra departs from the Nikaya's standard depiction of nirvana. You have to keep in mind that it's a metaphor, and hence easy to misunderstand by focusing on irrelevant aspects of it. In fact, the Buddha is quite specific in the Aggi-Vacchagotta sutra that the metaphor applies specifically to an end to clinging to the five aggregates:
    "Even so, Vaccha, any physical form by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of form, Vaccha, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the sea. 'Reappears' doesn't apply. 'Does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Both does & does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Neither reappears nor does not reappear' doesn't apply.
    ...and he goes on to repeat this formula for the other four aggregates. Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote an essay on this metaphor which I highly recommend. It makes it clear that the metaphor corresponds to practice at the level of fire clinging to fuel, not at the level of extinction:
    The first chapter surveys ancient Vedic ideas of fire as subsisting in a diffused state even when extinguished. It then shows how the Buddha took an original approach to those ideas to illustrate the concept of nibbāna after death as referring not to eternal existence, but rather to absolute freedom from all constraints of time, space, & being.
    Incidentally, it's really ironic that this sutra has come up in this context, when it starts with the following:
    "Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    This sutta is irrelevent.
    Indeed, it is.

But all suttas are irrelevant. ;) Every word ever written or spoken can only be misread and in that sense, all views are wrong views. The answer is inside. Only by looking very deeply can we find the answers.

Besides, if this was our only life, why spend so much precious time doing nothing? :D