Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Royal Family

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Today
I am pretty sure that the rest of the world cares more about the English royal family than the English population, (coming from a brit). Talk to most younger british people, we couldn't give two shits about them. Yet why does a lot of other nations have so much admiration and respect for them and we do not... By the way, is it still a hang-able offense in the UK if you kill a queen or king, I am not sure.

Comments

• I actually felt sorry for princess diana for how she was hounded. I think its just a fame thing. Certain people like to 'know' the stars. And talk about them. I could care less. But people will do extreme things for fame.
  • Here in thailand, the king is so highly acclaimed and loved. If you speak ill of the king you get a very VERY bad reaction from a thai person. In the UK, people joke about the queen of England and have no respect for her what so ever, mostly in the younger generations
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Here in thailand, the king is so highly acclaimed and loved. If you speak ill of the king you get a very VERY bad reaction from a thai person. In the UK, people joke about the queen of England and have no respect for her what so ever, mostly in the younger generations
    Please keep in mind that while the King is so highly respected in Thailand, citizens really have no choice.

• they have no choice, but they hang pictures everywhere, they love him. If you speak bad to a thai citizen, they will respond either with violence or some sort of anger in most cases. He has done a lot for his country and he is actually liked. Unlike his son who is soon to be crowned as the king is dying. Even to speak to a thai about the kings illness is frowned upon, people do not want to think about it
    Maybe in public, but, when I was living in Thailand and many years of visiting, once I got to know people well...behind closed doors...they loved to gossip about the king.
  • As an American, lol, I can assure you that we don't care that much about the royals. I don't know who is who, and only recently did I learn that William is getting married. I just know that they wear big hats, and male pattern baldness seems to run in the family.
  • edited April 2011
    An American here as well and from what I've seen, the people here who are interested in the royals are the same people that are into celebrity relationships and stuff like that. It's big in the media, and is hyped quite a bit... but so are 'regular' celebrities.

I suppose for a foreigner who is exposed to a lot of American media, it is difficult to really see what the mindset is like here.
  • An Australian... couldn't care less about the royal family either. I know a couple of older people who have respect for them and say it's out of tradition, but I see no honour in that tradition.
  • I'm an American and was stationed in England way back when. We were told at orientation that we were not to criticize the Royal family in the pubs because the natives might grouse about them, but they would get mad at us for doing the same thing. A lot of Brits thought the Royal family were silly and sponged off their taxes, but I was there when Princess Diana got married. The entire nation came to a stop and had one huge block party.

I think for we Americans, it's all those fairy tales about King Author and romantic Princes that go around kissing girls in comas and such. It's just another Hollywood type story only come to life.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Here in thailand, the king is so highly acclaimed and loved. If you speak ill of the king you get a very VERY bad reaction from a thai person. In the UK, people joke about the queen of England and have no respect for her what so ever, mostly in the younger generations
    If you speak ill of the king you will probably get thrown in prison in Thailand due to their outdated majeste law. But trust me not all Thais are so keen on the Thai royal family especially the kings son. When the Thai king eventually dies I think there could be a revolution in Thailand.

With Metta

• You should see the supermarket shelves in UK now full of commemorative things for the wedding. Plates, special tea blends etc, etc. But the best thing is 2 4-day weekends in a row! Royal family is a cultural landmark, just as Big Ben, a brand that sells. As long as they don't interfere with UK politics, and they don't, it's all good.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    the infamous moment when Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating grabbed the Queen (1992), earning himself the nickname the 'Lizard of Oz’ (BBC News 2000)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Prince William and Kate Middleton got advice from the Venerable Bogoda Seelawimala about marriage.
    http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=3,10021,0,0,1,0

Thought you might find this interesting.
  • Prince William seems like a nice guy.
    edited April 2011
    But trust me not all Thais are so keen on the Thai royal family especially the kings son.
    I think it is accurate to say most Thais love & respect the King & his daughter Sirindhorn

However, due to his behaviour, I think it is accurate to say most Thais scorn the Crown Prince

I have lived in Thailand and I gained a very favourable impression of the King

:)
    In 2002, The Economist wrote that, "Vajiralongkorn is held in much less esteem (than the king.) Bangkok gossips like to swap tales of his lurid personal life. (One of his sisters, Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, currently third in line to the throne, is very respected by the public, but Thailand has never been ruled by a woman.) Besides, no successor, however worthy, can hope to equal the stature King Bhumibol has attained after 64 years on the throne." This issue of The Economist was banned in Thailand. In 2010, another issue of The Economist (which was not distributed in Thailand) asserted that Vajiralongkorn is "widely loathed and feared" and "unpredictable to the point of eccentricity",[6] while the online journal Asia Sentinel alleged that he is "regarded as erratic and virtually incapable of ruling"[7] and was blocked shortly thereafter.[8] In a diplomatic cable leaked by WikiLeaks, senior Singaporean foreign ministry official Bilahari Kausikan asserted that Vajiralongkorn has a gambling habit which was partly funded by now exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajiralongkorn
  • You'll never be the king baby if you keep on scorning the last king!
    edited April 2011
    But trust me not all Thais are so keen on the Thai royal family especially the kings son.
    I think it is accurate to say most Thais love & respect the King & his daughter Sirindhorn

However, due to his behaviour, I think it is accurate to say most Thais scorn the Crown Prince

I have lived in Thailand and I gained a very favourable impression of the King

:)

I am sure the king is a nice person, however, it is kind of unfair that the Thai king is reportedly the richest monarch in the world

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2008/08/22/king-of-thailand-tops-royal-rich-list-86908-20706771/

yet so many Thais live in poverty still.
    I might also add that maybe one of the reasons that the majority of Thais love the Thai royal family so much has something to do with state controlled television beaming propaganda about them for goodness knows how many years. Like I have mentioned due to the majeste law nobody is allowed to criticize the king or the royal family in public so fear maybe another reason why Thai people are so quick to say they love the Thai royal family.

With Metta
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I like the royal family ! :)
    edited April 2011
    cult tendency (anusaya)

:aol:

• Obsessions - or respect ?
  • Neither

Just a joke between old friends

hi Caz! nice to see you

:wave:
  • I dont know anyone who cares. There just people like us just with a diffrent history.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Neither

Just a joke between old friends

hi Caz! nice to see you

:wave:

:wave: Yo DD.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    You know, I really don't care. I also don't understand why the news outlets in the US are spending so much time on this. lol It's all rather silly to me. Two people, one of whom happens to be a member of a "special" bloodline, are about to get married. That's all it is to me. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Kate has a little aristocratic ancestry as well.
  • You know, I really don't care. I also don't understand why the news outlets in the US are spending so much time on this. lol It's all rather silly to me. Two people, one of whom happens to be a member of a "special" bloodline, are about to get married. That's all it is to me. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Kate has a little aristocratic ancestry as well.
    She doesn't I think, her parents do not live far away from where I live. Well they used to anyway I don't know about now. I also went to the same University as both of them (tough different years), and apparently people who knew them have said that they are both really nice and down to earth. Anyway whatever, as with all people, I hope they both have happy lives.

With Metta

• Hey, the 24/7 cable programs here need something to fill in the time, and a royal wedding is as good as anything else. The only thing the networks love better is a good funeral. I suppose it beats endless discussion about some television star's latest bout of craziness.
  • I suppose it would be hard to be born into the royal family. Unlike movie celebrities, they didn't have much choice about being subjected to public scrutiny. I couldn't imagine having to spend your teen years under the microscope of paparazzi cameras. I do have respect for the royal family, in that they are heavily criticized and watched.
    There is an article on CCC.com today about why it's important. I didn't read it. I will probably watch some of the coverage because I think it's interesting. But there is a difference between something being interesting and something being important.
  • Doesnt the king in Thailand actually hold power? If he does that is a huge difference...I visited Thailand for a few days and was told by a local that if you disrespect the King you can go to jail. If thats the case I could never respect someone who demands respect in such a way.

Also I dont think most people care about the British Royal Family. Im sure some people care but I doubt anyone cares that much. I think its just cable news has to fill their time so they make everything seem way more important.
    Ric, good questions. Lese majestie (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) laws in Thailand are extremely strong and used by some politicians against each other. But yes, people have gone to jail for disrespecting the King or other royals. Interestingly, a few years ago in a speech, the King said he was not infallible and should be treated more "evenly" by the public.

The King has immense personal power, though not legal authority. But basically, if he says "it", they do "it". However, he also reserves the instances where he steps into that aspect of public life. Right now one of the quandaries regards the split in thinking between the King and the Queen, with the Queen quite clearly siding with the Prince and Heir Apparent.
  • So he has no legal power yet he rules ?

In my opinion that is awful, be he a good or bad king. I much rather have these "for show" royalties.
    Well, I think for many years he "ruled" very wisely and was very protective of the Thai government...and I do mean in a good sense. For example, there were demonstrations back in 1992 against PM Suchinda -- a definite bad guy. It was interesting for the world to watch on CNN when Suchinda and his arch rival literally crawled into the throne room, prostrated themselves before the king, and essentially gave up power so that a more democratic PM could take power. Unfortunately, as the king has gotten quite old and not well (but even before his illnesses of recent years, he has rarely intervened. Personally, I think he WAS a great king, but in recent years has become somewhat more irrelevant.
  • The monarchy was probed to be a bad idea; I think the world should move on. The royal families should get no money from taxes. that's robery!
  • A monarchy is just another form of government, based on an overpowering tribal instinct to identify with, give loyalty to and fight for your tribe and the tribe's leader. Compared to other forms of government, it has its advantages and disadvantages. The Monarchy form of government is what brought us to modern civilization, you know. It works, more or less. Bad Kings tend to be replaced as their kingdoms fail, just like bad elected governments fail.

And there's not so much difference in actually how any governing system works and manages to get things done. There has to be rules, and while on paper the rules might apply to everyone, the reality is the rich and powerful and "ruling class" always live by a different set of rules. Most people give the same amount of loyalty to whomever rules the nation, be they elected or born to the office.

And every King has to have a beurocracy to collect taxes, enforce the rules, and an army to deal with other armies. Someone living in a Monarchy would look at a democracy and ask, so what's the difference? The rich and powerful still run things and the little guy struggles.

That's my cynical rant for today.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Canada is one of the Commonwealth Nations withing the Monarchy of the United Kingdom. Below are the results of polls conducted during 2010 that show the nations overall view of this Monarchy and its roll in Canada.

I myself feel it has no place anymore in Canada and should end. I feel it will when the current queen is no longer the figurehead for the monarchy.

In May 2010, a poll by Angus Reid found that more than two-thirds of Canadians, a 69% majority, would like to see a Canadian serving as Canada's head of state, and a 52% majority of Canadians support reopening the constitutional debate to discuss replacing the monarchy with an elected head of state, while only 32% oppose doing so. Despite 69% of Canadians having a "mostly favourable" opinion of Queen Elizabeth II as a person, only one third, 33%, of Canadians preferred Canada to remain a monarchy - the plurality 36% of Canadians said they would prefer to have an elected head of state, another 21% were indifferent, and 11% were unsure. When asked who they would prefer as a monarch after Queen Elizabeth II, three-in-ten Canadians responded by saying there should be no monarch after her. 31% of Canadians also want members of the Royal Family to stop visiting Canada.[62]

Also in May 2010, an online poll by Leger Marketing for QMI Agency found that majority 59% of Canadians said that they had little or no interest in the Queen's visit to Canada, while 39% did. The poll found that only 32% of 18 to 34 year-olds had an attachment to the crown. In the 65-and-over group, 46% reported an attachment. One fifth of Canadians said the Queen should stay home, and that furthermore, "Canada should sever its ties with the British Crown".[3]

In June 2010, a national poll by the Association for Canadian Studies found decidedly lukewarm feelings about the concept of monarchy. The survey found that 49% of Canadians had a negative reaction to the word "monarchy", compared to just 41% with a positive reaction. In the Maritimes, where the Queen would begin her Canadian visit, the majority 60% registered a negative opinion of monarchy, compared to only 37% positive. (The poll did not refer to the Canadian monarchy or to the Queen specifically, but to the concept of monarchy.)[3]

A poll by Ipsos-Reid, also in June 2010, found that the majority two-in-three Canadians agree the royal family should not have any formal role in Canadian society, and reported growing sentiment that Elizabeth II should be Canada's last monarch. The majority 58% of Canadians want Canada to end ties to monarchy when Queen Elizabeth II's reign ends, and the majority 62% of Canadians believe that Canada's head of state should be the Governor General, not the Queen.[63][64]

A fifth poll, conducted by Harris-Decima for The Canadian Press a few days ahead of the Queen's nine-day visit to Canada in June, found that nearly half of Canadians, 48%, consider the monarchy to be "a relic of our colonial past that has no place in Canada today." The poll also found that 44% of Canadians want a national referendum to decide whether Canada should keep the monarchy.[65]

An Angus Reid poll just after the Queen's visit found that 36% of Canadians want Canada to remain a monarchy, 30% prefer having an elected head of state, and 21% felt it made no difference to them.[66]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate_on_the_monarchy_in_Canada#2010
  • Damn Cinojer, you are way off in my opinion. You make it sound like the only elected official is the president/prime minister. You forget that so many other elections happen. So there is a huge difference between a Monarchy vs. Republic/Democracy.

I agree that the rich always play by different rules but in a democracy they can be reigned in to some degree. And just because Monarchy was in the past is also no argument. Slavery is also how we got here.
    edited April 2011
    Someone living in a Monarchy would look at a democracy and ask, so what's the difference? The rich and powerful still run things and the little guy struggles.

That's my cynical rant for today.
    Very true in my opinion. I would go as far as saying corporations run things, the politicians are just their puppets, and the average person has to go on struggling. As the saying goes "Show me an honest politician and I will show you an elephant with wings" or something along those lines

With Metta
  • Damn Cinojer, you are way off in my opinion. You make it sound like the only elected official is the president/prime minister. You forget that so many other elections happen. So there is a huge difference between a Monarchy vs. Republic/Democracy.

I agree that the rich always play by different rules but in a democracy they can be reigned in to some degree. And just because Monarchy was in the past is also no argument. Slavery is also how we got here.
    You're probably right. I'm feeling particularly cynical this week. The fact is, though, that democracy means nothing without the rule of law and a system of checks and balances to go with it. It's been said that the biggest strength of a democracy is that everyone gets an equal vote in who runs the country (In theory. Actually, the people on top try to exclude everyone they can get away with excluding), and the biggest weakness of a democracy is that everyone gets an equal vote in who runs the country, no matter how stupid or crazy they are.

• I am just sad that the royal families can't uphold the Buddhist sutras that prevents natural disasters anymore.
    What the heck has a king got to do with preventing natural disasters?
  • I am just sad that the royal families can't uphold the Buddhist sutras that prevents natural disasters anymore.

yes you have lost me on that one NOTaGangsta, could you elaborate what you mean.

With Metta
  • As an older & new member here, I wish to state that I am looking forward to the "Royal Wedding." I am NOT a celeb. chaser nor any chaser for that matter, just happen to like those two Royals. With all the bad news in the world today, a bit of Old English tradition is just what the doctor ordered.
    I agree Max. I won't be a big deal to me, but I think it's interesting and different, so I'll watch some of it.
    I abhor celeb worship (the royals included) but I must admit a wedding is much more preferable to watch than wars.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Romanian here...In my country nobody gives an 'eff about any royal family, unless it's on the chanels of the Romanian television. The thing is, that Romanian television will talk about royal family (in case of a not-so-major event) for hours, or even days, and will still not reach any...useful conclusions.

yes you have lost me on that one NOTaGangsta, could you elaborate what you mean.

With Metta
    I need to get this book back from the library. It's recount on one of Buddha's instructions to all the kings at the time in India. He instructs them to receive and practice this one particular Mahaprajnaparamita sutra during calamities. Kind similar to devoational practices toward the Medicine Buddha during calamities by the kings.

We can't really say it's all bulls and superstitious, because frankly I don't know of any kings still do any of these practices during calamities!
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I heard that it is estimated that around 2 billion people will watch the wedding, that is nearly 1/3 of the human race, bearing in mind how many people do not own a TV in africa and other undeveloped locations.

Personally, I am not that interested. I barely watch the news so any news to me is just fob, yes I said it, fob! I am however British, but fail to see the importance in this day and age of the royal family. They have little legal power or democratic power, there was a survey done on UK tourists in 1997 and less than 1% of them came to the UK due to the Royal family, The queen does not pay taxes and costs the country 80 million each year.
    edited April 2011
    Well, not only does the Queen cost the UK a lot yearly, she costs every commonwealth nation $... For what? The Monarchy needs to be removed from Canada in my opinion.

Found this: http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/07/14/queen-costs-us-more-than-the-brits-pay/

Then I found this at the bottom of a government web page made during the Queens visit to Canada this year:

"How much does the monarchy cost?

The Government of Canada does not contribute funding in support of the Royal Households in the United Kingdom.

Our system of government in Canada is a constitutional monarchy. The Government of Canada provides support for the Queen's representatives, the Governor General and our Lieutenant Governors in the provinces, and for Royal Tours from The Queen and the Royal Family."

So perhaps the Queen doesn't cost us a cent regularly (although I would be interested how much was spent to facilitate her visit, but if it wasn't for the Monarchy and it's useless presence in Canadian society we'd have $50,000,000 + more to put towards what Canada really needs.
  • Most people I've heard say they have no problem with the monarchy, baring some youth culture. I try not to follow the press about the royal family members because of as said before "they don't sign up for the job".
    As for their Karma to be assigned a life like this I know not!

But I know they do partake some what in charities. Which aids a lot around the world.
    And adds to their karma for a quieter life next time around(if you have belief in it). So metta to them for it.
    And I hope the happy couple stay that way.

METTA / PAX
  • @fest64

it will be much more effective to give the money directly to charities.