Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Milk

edited April 2011 in General Banter
There have been quiet a few threads about why people do or don't eat meat, so I'd like to start a discussion on a related topic - milk. I've personally put way too much time into studying nutrition and feel it's important to ask certain questions that challenge what people think they know.

I don't drink milk. Nobody even asks why we think it's acceptable to drink a cow's milk as a human being. We are the only species in the world who thinks it's 'normal' to drink the milk of another animal, and even more so, to drink milk as an adult! Cows milk is custom made for baby cows, hence the casein in it (which is designed to make the infant addicted to the milk, so baby cow comes back for more and can grow from a 90 pound calf into a 2000 pound cow in 2 years). The only reason we drink cows milk instead of chimpanzee milk is because it's easy to house and control many cows together in factory farms. There is no difference. It's marketed as being healthy and vital in your diet, but the calcium in milk is bound to its protein complement, casein. Without the rennin, neither casein nor its nutrient complement, calcium, can be absorbed into the digestive system. The high protein content of milk actually leeches calcium from our bones - this was found in a study conducted by the National Dairy Council itself. Mammals need the enzyme lactase to digest lactose, and between the ages of 18 months to 4 years we lose 90 - 95 percent of this enzyme. The undigested lactose and the acidic nature of pasteurized milk causes the growth of bacteria in our intestines, and cancel cells thrive in these kinds of conditions. When you look at multiple studies from Harvard, Yale, Penn State, and the National Institutes of Health, not one of them found milk to be a deterrent of osteoporosis.

Dairy has also been linked to: anemia, acne, anxiety, arthritis, ADD, ADHD, fibromyalgia, headaches, heartburn, indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, joint pain, osteoporosis, and poor immune function, allergies, ear infections, colic, obesity, heart disease, diabetes, autism, Crohn's disease, breast and prostate cancer, as well as ovarian cancer. It is common knowledge in the research field that dairy is bad for you. Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent every year to advertise the health benefits of milk in order for them to rake in billions of dollars in return. The average consumer doesn't pick up the latest Medical Journal for bath time reading, however they do watch TV and read gossip magazines.

When you consume dairy, you're consuming antibiotics, pesticides, steroids, and hormones as well as dioxin, one of the most toxic substances found in the world.
Cows are also injected with bovine growth hormone. Under normal circumstances, a cow would produce 10 pounds of milk per day, and only when it had a baby. Factory farmers have their cows producing up to a hundred pounds per day. Cows are milked by a machine, metal clamps are attached to the cows' sensitive udders, which become sore and infected. Pus forms, and in result, the machines suck the dead white blood cells into the milk. To fight off all this bacteria, milk must be pasteurized, but this process destroys beneficial enzymes and makes calcium less available without even ridding the milk of all harmful bacteria. Even radioactive particles have been found in milk. Ridiculously high levels of pesticides meet government standards.

You can get much higher levels of manganese, chromium, selenium, and magnesium from fruits and vegetables, which are also high in boron, which helps lesson the loss of calcium through urine. High amounts of dairy also blocks iron absorption.

Think logically. A mother's milk is for the infant, intended to allow for the biggest growth spurt in that being's entire life. Milk forms no part of a normal diet after the period of infancy. Mother nature did not intend for grownups to suck on their mothers tits.

Instead, get your optimal calcium intake by eating fortified grains, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, cabbage, kelp, seaweed, watercress, chickpeas, broccoli, red beans, soybeans, tofu, seeds (sesame rates highest), and nuts.

Ya I put a lot of time into researching this stuff haha.. little bit nutrition obsessed :)

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I made a thread a long time ago about human breast milk in if anybody has eaten cheese made from it or would eat it...
    and yes, you have done a heap of research!!
  • Wow impressive research on Milk jenzay, I'll have to let all the information sink in before I can give a decent reply :)

With Metta
  • I just read this article, about milk, it certainly makes you think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2003/dec/13/foodanddrink.weekend

With Metta
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Actually, milk has a fairly low-protein-to-carb ratio, so it doesn't leach calcium from the bones. The calcium in milk makes bones stronger. Kids raised on milk tend to grow taller than kids who don't get dairy.
    Early Indo-European people survived on milk and dairy products in their trek from the Russian steppes into Asia and down through Iran to northern India, hence the tradition of the "sacred cow" in India. Cows and other livestock were key to tribal people's survival back then, and cows gave the most milk of all animals. Those early Indo-Europeans also drank goat's milk, sheep's mild and horse milk. Many Asian tribal people still drink fermented mares' milk as a delicacy and sacred drink.

One only consumes pesticides, etc., in dairy if it's not organic. There are options, these days.
  • edited April 2011
    Dakini, you're making a very general statement about milk without backing it up with facts, as I have done. Your first statement about the protein to calcium ratio even contradicts what the National Dairy Council itself admitted.

I don't mean to sound rude, but did you properly read what I wrote about the calcium in milk?

It's not my opinion, those are scientific facts.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Doesn't it depend on what form the milk is in when we ingest it? Many health professionals, especially in Europe, say yogurt and other dairy products are much more easily absorbed. And doesn't it depend on what type of milk it is? I don't believe that drinking mild leeches calcium from bones. If that were true, even young adults would have osteoporosis or osteopenia. Milk clearly is a problem for some individuals, but I don't think it's a problem for everyone. I think the jury is still out on some of these claims. But I think there's no question that the American public is subject to marketing of foods simply because of powerful lobbies and economic interests. It's also subject to marketing of cars vs. mass transit for that reason. It's a corporate-driven society, but I digress.
  • I don't believe that drinking mild leeches calcium from bones. If that were true, even young adults would have osteoporosis or osteopenia.
    That would be a valid point, except that it IS on the rise among young adults and has been for the last decade. I've often heard my father talking about it and he's chief of medicine. I've also read some articles about it in the medical journals he has.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Could you provide references for your information?

"Children who avoid drinking cow milk have low dietary calcium intakes and poor bone health1,2,3"

http://www.ajcn.org/content/76/3/675.short

"A cause and effect relationship was established between the intake of calcium, either alone or in combination with Vitamin D, and reducing the loss of BMD, which may lead to a reduction in the risk of fracture"

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/1609.pdf
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Could you provide references for your information?

"Children who avoid drinking cow milk have low dietary calcium intakes and poor bone health1,2,3"

http://www.ajcn.org/content/76/3/675.short

"A cause and effect relationship was established between the intake of calcium, either alone or in combination with Vitamin D, and reducing the loss of BMD, which may lead to a reduction in the risk of fracture"

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/1609.pdf
    And this article below suggest that drinking to much milk can lead to iron deficiency anaemia in kids

Taken from the link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2003/dec/13/foodanddrink.weekend

"It starts in infancy. Frank Oski, former paediatrics director at Johns Hopkins school of medicine, estimated in his book Don't Drink Your Milk! that half of all iron deficiency in US infants results from cows' milk-induced intestinal bleeding - a staggering amount, since more than 15% of American under-twos suffer from iron-deficiency anaemia. The infants, it seems, drink so much milk (which is very low in iron) that they have little appetite left for foods containing iron; at the same time, the milk, by inducing gastrointestinal bleeding, causes iron loss."

also

"The pattern of diet and fractures in other parts of the world is equally revealing. Most Chinese people eat and drink no dairy products, and get all their calcium from vegetables. Yet while they consume only half the calcium of Americans, osteoporosis is uncommon in China, despite an average life expectancy of 70. In South Africa, Bantu women who eat mostly plant protein and only 200-350mg of calcium a day have virtually no osteoporosis, despite bearing on average six children and breastfeeding for prolonged periods. Their African-American brothers and sisters, who ingest on average more than 1,000mg of calcium a day, are nine times more likely to experience hip fractures. Campbell puts it unequivocally: "The association between the intake of animal protein and fracture rates appears to be as strong as that between cigarette smoking and lung cancer."

Almost none of these scientific findings has been reflected in mainstream nutritional advice, which continues to emphasise the need for calcium. In fact, the recommendations on calcium are now so high that it is difficult to devise practical diets that meet them. The AAP, for example, currently recommends five daily servings from the milk group for adolescents (try getting those into figure-conscious teenage girls).

But there's another vital part of the calcium puzzle that suggests that the American Dietetic Association and its UK counterparts are looking in the wrong place. Instead of recommending multiple servings of dairy, they'd probably have done better to advise women, and especially teenage girls, to take more exercise. A 15-year study published in the British Medical Journal found that exercise may be the best protection against hip fractures and that "reduced intake of dietary calcium does not seem to be a risk factor". Similarly, researchers at Penn State University concluded that bone density is affected by how much exercise girls get in their teen years, when up to half of their skeletal mass is developed. The girls who took part in this research had wildly different calcium intakes, but it had no lasting effect on their bone health. "We [had] hypothesised that increased calcium intake would result in better adolescent bone gain," said one researcher. "Needless to say, we were surprised to find our hypothesis refuted."

The full article gives a good summary of both sides of the debate.

With Metta
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Exercise is definitely more important. The chinese thing is interesting. But it hasn't been established that they are getting low calcium. In the first article they are eating milk to such a great extent that they are not eating other food. That indicates that the cause is not eating other foods, not that they are eating milk. Finally I don't believe we are discussing infants.

So I don't think the evidence you provided refutes the current position in modern medicine. Finally the Guardian is a lower quality source than journal articles. It doesn't reference any studies so I can look at the methods etc.
  • edited April 2011
    My list of sources would be so long that I couldn't possibly name them all, and much of the information I know from researching it for so long and can't remember the place I first read it, I tend to remember everything I read, but here are a few references if you're interested:

"Two New Studies Sour Milk's Image" www.pcrm.org
    "Holford, The Optimum Nutrition Bible" page 42
    "Eisnitz, Slaughterhouse" page 20, 24-25, 31
    Wangen 'Food Allergy Solutions Review" www.foodallergysolutions.com
    Diamond, Fit For Life page 242
    "10 reasons to avoid acidosis" www.polymvasurvivors.com
    Diamond Fit For Life II page 243
    Cousens page 316, 479, 478
    Cohen "The Essence of Betrayal" www.notmilk.com
  • The article presents itself as investigating but only sites research against milk is also interesting. It is an anti milk piece, rather than a journal that is studying anything in particular.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Are there any journals of the studies that you could provide links to? A media piece can balloon something weak into something due to the fact that readers are not involved in science.
  • edited April 2011
    Journals of studies online? Sorry I don't really get most of my info online, I read my dads books/medical journals, but I am sure you could find something online.

Although I did make the point that dairy is not necessary or healthy for you, that wasn't my main point. Being a Buddhist forum, my main point was to think logically! Ask yourself who decided we as adults should drink a cow's milk! It's bizarre.
  • Also the assumption is that modern medicine never had any reasons to believe milk was healthy. I would respect the opinion of modern medicine at least until that is overturned. Due to the fact that I am not a scientist in that field. It would be a great assumption to believe that a fringe collection of articles is more valid than the current medical standard.

If you were a doctor would you believe the fringe? Would your patients appreciate that practice?
  • Half of your evidence is online :) Journals are online now at least you can read the abstract.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    It is arbitrarily weird to eat cow milk. Why wouldn't it be weird to eat an apple?
  • edited April 2011
    Apples were clearly made to be eaten. Cow's milk was clearly made for baby cows.

• I don't believe in factory farming by the way, but thats a related issue.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Apples were not made to be eaten. By god? Why do women have breasts? Its clearly as old as mammals to drink milk. This only applies to infancy.

All of the connection between diseases and milk it doesn't report the degree of the connection. I take medication that is connected to lethal side effects but quite rare.

I question whether modern medicine is all on the take from the milk industry.
  • I'm not a doctor, but my dad is and telling him milk isn't healthy is the same as telling him that grass is green. The only people saying that milk is healthy are the people making money out of it. Also keep in mind that on average doctors get around 3 hours of training in nutrition. Doctor's don't get educated thoroughly in that regard unless they choose to specialize in nutrition.
  • edited April 2011
    You call it modern science but it's really the only science since there was never in depth past science on milk. Nobody ever questioned why we drank milk or whether it was really necessary or beneficial, and now that research is being conducted, milk seems to fail all around.
  • Does meat leach calcium from our bones? Should we stop consuming protein? The three hours training is nonetheless the standard. Do you think nutritionists are trained that milk is bad?

"You can get much higher levels of manganese, chromium, selenium, and magnesium from fruits and vegetables, which are also high in boron, which helps lesson the loss of calcium through urine. High amounts of dairy also blocks iron absorption."

The virtues of other foods irrelevant. Does a brocoli being healthy mean that milk is not? :)
  • "Nobody ever questioned why we drank milk or whether it was really necessary or beneficial, and now that research is being conducted, milk seems to fail all around."

This is not true. I did provide citations and its unreasonable to believe that nutrition is not based on science. We would have to conclude that mars bars are nutritious if we invalidate the science of nutrition.
  • I don't know why you're talking about god or breasts, but I think we can both agree that it seems more logical to eat an apple than to drink the milk of another species as adults if we look at it from an objective point of view... no?

And yes, factory farming is terrible. That alone would be enough to put me off milk.
  • The pancrease releases bicarbonate which would turn the lactose into its conjugate base and release carbon dioxide.
  • Does meat leach calcium from our bones? Should we stop consuming protein? The three hours training is nonetheless the standard. Do you think nutritionists are trained that milk is bad?

"You can get much higher levels of manganese, chromium, selenium, and magnesium from fruits and vegetables, which are also high in boron, which helps lesson the loss of calcium through urine. High amounts of dairy also blocks iron absorption."

The virtues of other foods irrelevant. Does a brocoli being healthy mean that milk is not? :)
    You're assuming that meat is the only source of protein? If you're really asking me that question, then yes I do think we should stop eating meat, but that doesn't say anything about eating protein. Protein is abundant in many foods.

And yes, due to my job I've worked with countless nutritionists and yes most of them have said to rather stay away from dairy if possible.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    "I don't know why you're talking about god or breasts, but I think we can both agree that it seems more logical to eat an apple than to drink the milk of another species as adults if we look at it from an objective point of view... no?"

No its completely arbitrary to consider one natural and one not.

It would be like considering riding a bicycles natural but driving a car unnatural.
  • Other forms of protein should also leach calcium in bones. Logically. I have no reason to believe you are lying about nutritionists. In that case I hope people who read this consult a nutritionist and check up on your assertion. I will ask my aunt who is a nutritionist.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Have you considered that controversial books also make money? How much interest would a book entitled "Milk is good" make? That doesn't sound very interesting?
  • I haven't read many controversial books so I don't know, but would you call the medical journal a controversial money making ploy? Most of the things I have access to in terms of reading material are not mainstream, merely just research and findings. But no, it doesn't really seem to me that the people writing these articles make any money out of it whatsoever.

This is an interesting website that seems to have a lot research from many different studies, not sure if that's what you are looking for..

http://www.rense.com/general26/milk.htm
  • PS. I do think driving a car is unnatural simply because it contributes to destroying nature :) but I'm a treehugger so don't bother with that one haha
  • That would imply that all of science is to make money. Which it is. Why would someone work if they were not making money? When you have a job you like to make a money. Would you work for free? Scientists have spent 8-10 years getting to the place they are and paying over 100000 dollars in tuition.
  • Hi Jeffrey
    Journal references are within, I do not subscribe to these Journals and neither does my University (well my athens account says that anyway) so I cannot give you the .pdf and I have no idea about what the papers actually say in full, but you wanted journal references so there in the article. Please share if you can access them.

http://themilkblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/problem-with-protein.html

With Metta
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Regarding rense.com...Thanks it references journal articles. If I had more motivation I could look them up and read the abstracts to determine if the references support what Dave Reitz webmaster of notmilk.com is saying.

It is interesting that you say science is biased but the webmaster of notmilk.com is not biased. Can you see that is unreasonable? The journals themselves may be unbiased but I would like to read the abstracts.

The milk blog is also clearly biased. It is not a scientist who is objectively studying things. He/she may have reasonably come to a conclusion, but this is a different animal from science. When you are a scientist ethically you do not fake studies. If you do you lose your career. Even if your study does not prove something that itself is publishable so a scientists wins however the study turns out. Milk blog only wins if the study agrees with the blogger.

I would be interested in looking at journal articles.
  • I agree milk may be bad. But much more important than some mild health effects you should appreciate the scientific method. It is a valuable skill. Many people will not receive adequate medical care because they trust methods that are not substantiated by research, not that you do. I am continuously amazed by what the media will do to science, for a story.

I must admit that part of my interest is because I am bored and having fun looking up all this and thinking about it. So I thank you for that :)

No one is forced to eat milk! And by all means believe what you want and speak what you want!
  • I never said that these scientists never made money from their job, I just said that I doubted they made MORE money out of saying milk was bad for you. Obviously they get paid their salary.

I never said science was biased. That's impossible since 'science' can support both sides, depending on the motivation behind the research.

Also, you've just assumed that all scientists are ethical and would lose their career otherwise. I personally know people who've been paid by companies and organizations to come to certain conclusions in their research, supporting a certain supplement or food and they still have their jobs today.. I think. (Not relating to milk though)
  • Another thought. If the majority of nutritionists believe that milk is harmful then why are doctors being trained the opposite in their 3 hours of training?
  • Thanks, I don't mind people arguing with me, I'm just happy that whoever reads what I said might think about it for themselves and do whatever they think is right! At the very least it encourages thought?? :)
  • Regarding rense.com...Thanks it references journal articles. If I had more motivation I could look them up and read the abstracts to determine if the references support what Dave Reitz webmaster of notmilk.com is saying.

It is interesting that you say science is biased but the webmaster of notmilk.com is not biased. Can you see that is unreasonable? The journals themselves may be unbiased but I would like to read the abstracts.

The milk blog is also clearly biased. It is not a scientist who is objectively studying things. He/she may have reasonably come to a conclusion, but this is a different animal from science. When you are a scientist ethically you do not fake studies. If you do you lose your career. Even if your study does not prove something that itself is publishable so a scientists wins however the study turns out. Milk blog only wins if the study agrees with the blogger.

I would be interested in looking at journal articles.
    The blog cites references for studies published in journals about milk, if they are published in reputable journals I would expect them to have passed critical scrutiny from peers. Hence, I would expect the papers referenced in the milkblog to be not biased, well at least it should be scientifically sound research anyway.

The references were

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1995; 61,4.
    Journal of Clinical Endocrinology (1988;66:140-6).
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Remer T, Am J Clin Nutr 1994;59:1356-61)
    (Science 1986;233, 4763)
    (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1979;32,4)
    (Journal of Nutrition, 1981; 111, 3).
    (American Journal of Epidemiology 1994;139)

With Metta

• "I never said science was biased. That's impossible since 'science' can support both sides, depending on the motivation behind the research."

Scientists do not support one side. How would we discover anything?
  • Hmm.. I just asked my dad, and he said that they were never trained to suggest milk for calcium. He said they're told to suggest a calcium supplement, but then he went on to say that supplements aren't as great as people think and that spinach is the best source of calcium.
  • Zid, I would like to scrutinize them. At issue is whether the milk blog is misrepresenting the studies and ballooning it. The milk blog is obviously biased. That does not mean they were wrong. If it was the 'save the whales blog' I would agree with them but that doesn't mean they are not biased.
  • Spinich probably is a better source of calcium. But that is not relevant to milk being harmful.

I am interested and will ask my aunt and physician.
  • I'm not really sure what your question is there... I never said scientists support only one side.. I said different research can support different conclusions, and sometimes research can be biased based on who might benefit from the outcome.
  • Scientists may be swayed by research funding. But it hasn't been established that most of the studies supporting milk such as the two I listed were funded by the dairy industry. Finally even if they are funded by the dairy industry it hasn't been substantiated that they were also unethical. That is a circumstantial argument rather than direct evidence. For example if a student pays tuition to their teachers it doesn't mean the teachers will cheat them As.
  • You're making it seem as if I got all my info from this milk blog! haha
    I am being honest in saying most of what I know is from books, and I cannot verify legitimacy of anything online. I hate how anybody can post anything on the internet.

Also I never said that spinach being a better source of calcium makes milk harmful. The evidence saying milk is harmful is seperate from the evidence saying it's not a great source of calcium.
  • Yeah I'm not saying that you have no evidence its just that I cannot look at it. As we have seen from yours and others posting sometimes I logically look at the study and can have critism of it. Not that I am always 'right'.
  • Zid, I would like to scrutinize them. At issue is whether the milk blog is misrepresenting the studies and ballooning it. The milk blog is obviously biased. That does not mean they were wrong. If it was the 'save the whales blog' I would agree with them but that doesn't mean they are not biased.
    Well the only way to find out is to read the papers in the journals.
    When I say biased I mean that the scientific method must at least be sound, for it to be published in a peer reviewed journal.

I am not totally convinced that milk is that bad for you as long as its taken in moderation. But the evidence against it cannot be ignored either. As they say there are two sides to every story.

With Metta

• Well, the study that says the high protein content of milk actually leeches calcium from our bones was funded by the National Dairy Council... if I remember correctly, they were not happy with the results of the research and scrapped all the info gathered from it, but it was still recorded and made public, just not by them.