Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

There is no such thing as "justice"

zenffzenff Veteran
edited May 2011 in Buddhism Today
There’s no such thing as justice, imho.
It is a crazy concept, but it fits some basic wiring in our brain.
This wiring probably was established when – being social primates – we would beat up the monkey who stole the banana.
It kind of worked, but only in those conditions.
It doesn’t mean such a thing as “justice” exists in our universe.
Also it isn’t necessarily the right approach to managing a complex modern society.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Killing (or the option not taken--bringing to trial) Bin Laden wasn't about justice?
    What do we do if there's no such thing as justice, then? What do you propose in place of the (obsolete?) mechanisms of justice that are now in use?

(This isn't a Current Events topic. General Banter.)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Thanks for your opinion c_w. Given recent events in the Middle East, I'm going to over-ride your opinion, and leave it here to see how it develops....
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    No there is no such thing as justice.
    Killing a famous terrorist can make sense for many reasons, but “justice” isn’t one of them.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    We impose justice; it is a human conceit, born of thoughts of praise and blame, reward and punishment. Karma is not justice, it is cause and effect. We try to make it a system of justice though, just like Christians have Heaven and Hell and sin and grace... :)
  • edited May 2011
    Just asking, because there was a lot of talk about justice on the OBL thread.

Why is there no such thing as justice? And what do we do, if there isn't? What do we substitute the justice system with?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The alternatives are not easy.

First of all we would actually have to think about the causes of – in this case – islamist terrorism. And we would have to think of ways to remove these causes.
    It would be much harder than pinpointing and killing a demonic character.

In societies, I believe, some sort of coherence helps. Many crimes move along lines of division in society. Division between rich and poor, black and white, catholic and protestant.

• RicRic
    edited May 2011
    I believe in justice. Although there no perfect justice and perfect answers I still think its valid.

In the most simple form: If you hit someone in a fit of rage and that person has to go to the hospital. When you are forced to pay for his treatment...that to me is justice.

If you kill someone because you were in an argument and you go to jail. That to me is justice.

Now as far as how long and conditions of incarceration is all debatable.
  • I think we have a pretty clear idea of the causes, in the case of islamist terrorism--that was well covered in the OBL thread. The problem is that there's no political will at the highest levels to do the right thing .

On the level of crime within nations, cities, neighborhoods, the root causes would have to be addressed as well. Functional education for all, end to job discrimination, end to child abuse. Too much money is tied up in wars.

What about Canada? It's not involved in wars, but is there discrimination? Child abuse? Education of the same quality available to all? Where is the money being spent, that would otherwise go to the military? Going to the health system?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    The kid who grew up hungry in a third-world country didn't do anything wrong, the conditions led to that. Actually it's the fact that the parents, despite not having the means, clung so tightly to life (or were just too caught up in sensual pleasure without protection). The unskillful karma of the parents led to the poor conditions of the child. This is one example, but really everything is like this.

If our conditions are determined by those who come before us, but then again our predecessors' conditions determined by those who came before them... there is no beginning in sight. There is no one to blame, or to praise, as this interconnected and temporary existence is dependent upon the conditioning before and now acting upon not-self phenomena.

If someone kills our mother, we might think it justice to kill them back, but this is contrived. We all die; the only reason we're here at all is because our parents either didn't use protection or were clinging to life and had that urge to procreate. The only reason we continue on is clinging to life, though it's trying to grasp the air... sure we can continue the species, but really why do we do that? We automatically think it's good for the species to survive and a horrible idea if it didn't. Why is that? What is the root of our thinking that? I'm not saying the species should die out, but... really why not? It's something to think about. It'll knock your sense of self for a loop.
  • I believe in justice. Although there no perfect justice and perfect answers I still think its valid.
    Ric, what about bringing Nazi war criminals to trial 60 years after the fact when they're already near death, and sentencing them to jail time, as happened a couple of days ago in Germany? A US citizen was extradited to stand trial, and participated in the trial from a makeshift hospital bed. Is there a stage at which it's pointless to bring someone to justice? Or are some crimes so heinous there should be no statute of limitations, as is the case with war crimes?

• zenffzenff Veteran
    @ Ric
    Notions of justice can change in time and place.
    It was at some point in time in Europe “justice” to burn witches and heretics.
    In ancient Rome it was “justice” when you killed someone else’s slave that you pay his owner some money for compensation.

So which "justice" is the real “justice”?

• clung so tightly to life (or were just too caught up in sensual pleasure without protection). The .
    You'd be surprised--protection is unaffordable to many in the developing world. Even condoms.

re: "if someone kills our mother..." It's not justice to kill someone in revenge. Justice is bringing the murderer to trial.

Many environmentalists don't think it's good for our species to survive. And it may well die out, which isn't a big deal, is it?

• edited May 2011
    zenff, the USSR insured a uniform quality of education, health care, and housing to all citizens,and universal employment, but that didn't eliminate crime. They expected it would, of course, but they were surprised to find it didn't. The impulse to commit crimes stems more from emotional/psychological factors. It's more complex than we would think.
  • Like I said, there is no perfect or exact justice. It is a sort of social agreement we all buy into. Although I am not particular with the situation of the Nazi war criminal, but time doesnt dissolve your responsibility to pay for your past deeds.

and yes at a time where slaves were property, if you destroyed property you were responsible to make it right. Of course I believe we have come to understand that the injustice began in treating any person as property. A realization of a deeper understanding of justice itself.

Justice is about fairness. Its our best attempt at fairness and its a great thing. It is a great concept that has served us well.
  • In European legal terms "justice" means to treat like cases alike - the rest is up to the politicians (through the voters) to decide.

A pretty simple and imo pretty sound definition of justice.
  • I think you are confusing justice and law.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    @ compassionate warrior
    Yes, it definitely is complex.
    The USSR – at the other hand – was not the ideal social experiment; maybe that was just the image they wanted to create in their propaganda.

Japan traditionally is a country with low crime rates and a relatively soft penal system.
    The explanation - what I read about it – is to be found in cultural values and social homogeneity. Also it could be related to the way young children are treated. Children in their early years get an overload of attention and care. This – apparently – helps them to be social and reasonable people when they grow up.

But, it is complex; Japanese soldiers did commit war-crimes in WW2.
    Like all soldiers they went berserk when they were taken out of their safe and structured environment and were put in the bizarre situations of a war-zone.

• From A Man For All Seasons:

"William Roper: “So now you’d give the Devil the benefit of law!”

Sir Thomas More: “Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get to the Devil?”

Roper: “I’d cut down every law in England to do that!”

More: “Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you -- where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat. This country’s planted thick with laws from coast to coast -- man’s laws, not God’s -- and if you cut them down -- and you’re just the man to do it -- do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of the law, for my own safety’s sake.”
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    In European legal terms "justice" means to treat like cases alike - the rest is up to the politicians (through the voters) to decide.

Fair enough.
    But in this logic very cruel things can be “just”, provided they are democratically sanctioned and follow a rule which is applied to “equal cases”.

Can I think of something weird?
    Sure.
    All people who are born disabled (we have to carefully define the equal cases here) are to be killed instantly. I believe such was the rule in ancient Sparta.

If we find a democratic majority for it; do you really think it is “justice”?
    I don’t.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    From A Man For All Seasons:

"William Roper: “So now you’d give the Devil the benefit of law!”

Sir Thomas More: “Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get to the Devil?”

Roper: “I’d cut down every law in England to do that!”

More: “Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you -- where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat. This country’s planted thick with laws from coast to coast -- man’s laws, not God’s -- and if you cut them down -- and you’re just the man to do it -- do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of the law, for my own safety’s sake.”
    We would have to weigh the benefits of having a legal system against a particular undesirable outcome of this system. Okay.

That doesn’t imply that there’s something inherently “just” about this legal system in particular or in legal systems in general.

Laws and punishments are tools we have. They are supposed to keep society orderly.
    At some levels this tool kind of works, and at other levels it doesn’t work at all.
    In such cases – where it doesn’t work at all – it gives us a false idea of closure.

Punishment often does not solve a single thing. The crime is not repaired.
    When there are roots and causes for such crimes in society; they are not removed.

• I think you are confusing justice and law.
    Courts are not about justice ... they are about application of the Law ( Criminal etc ) by the legal fraternity and judicial system.

• There’s no such thing as justice, imho.
    Varieties of justice are numerous. Did you have a particular kind of justice in mind, or did you mean all kinds of justice?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I think you are confusing justice and law.
    Courts are not about justice ... they are about application of the Law ( Criminal etc ) by the legal fraternity and judicial system.

Maybe there’s a language barrier.
    I can translate the words “justice” and “law” in your sentence with the same word “recht”.

“Justice” (rechtvaardigeid) is some kind of cosmic fairness.
    “Law” (het recht) would be the attempt to capture basic notions of justice in detailed laws and jurisprudence.
    Is that what you are saying?

The subtle point I’m trying to make is that “Justice” is a fabrication and “Law” is a random product of society.

Instead of doing “Justice” we should be solving problems in society.
    In doing so compassion is a better inspiration for us than a false idea of cosmic fairness.
  • Whilst laws may be based on basic notions of justice, the application is a human activity - in my experience it is not about justice.
  • An example whih comes to mind, is having authrority figure issues throughout our lives due to early life experiences of abuse .... understandable yet limiting to us and our progress with practice and living effectively - just one example which came to mind.
  • @Simonthepilgrim
    As Zenff says, there may be a language barrier. "Justice" I translate as "retfærdighed" meaning something like "following the right course of the law", but the meaning is deeper than just "according to law". In our legal system it can be boiled down to "according to law in the same way in every case which are alike". I know it is the way justice is practiced because it was one of the first things we learned at Law School..
    In European legal terms "justice" means to treat like cases alike - the rest is up to the politicians (through the voters) to decide.

Fair enough.
    But in this logic very cruel things can be “just”, provided they are democratically sanctioned and follow a rule which is applied to “equal cases”.

Can I think of something weird?
    Sure.
    All people who are born disabled (we have to carefully define the equal cases here) are to be killed instantly. I believe such was the rule in ancient Sparta.

If we find a democratic majority for it; do you really think it is “justice”?
    I don’t.
    It would still be just because all of the same kind was treated in the same way according to a law. Cruel and undesirable - of course. But the Courts of Law do not create law (in the US they do, but not here), they just use the scales and swing the sword. What the sovereign people decides is how things should be - cruel or not. It's not even a democratic idea, it's the foundation of the world. Our societies will never be more or less than what the people in them decide them to be; through actions. There is no right or wrong, only cause and effect.

Having abandoned "natural law" (cosmic fairness) and through principles of law (founded in experience with what works in balancing out parts) gone beyond mere "positive law", the most covering definition of justice is thus how I described and hence the one used now. In the legal world, that is..

We can always argue what "fairness" is - is it fair or not, that the thief is being hung for stealing an apple?

• Whilst laws may be based on basic notions of justice, the application is a human activity - in my experience it is not about justice.
    Laws are - in a democracy - based on what the representatives of the people decide them to be. The people, knowing who they choose to represent themselves, directly decide on what moral basis the laws rest.

We have to go way, way back to find laws based on the notions of some ruling class, where some aristocrat pointed a wet finger in the air and "felt" how God wanted things to be for all people. And good the same :)
  • Yes, and the reality of how those laws are applied in the judicial system is what I am refering to - however, I doubt that this is all there is to discuss in regards to the idea of justice.
  • They are applied in line with their function and what legislator imagined.. I don't follow you, me thinks :)
  • zenff & compassionate_warrior, would you mind inserting and/or re-stating some of your final discussion comments from the closed post http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/10622/more-on-war-criminals-justice-and-compassion#Item_19 here? i think the direction you were going might help go to definitional clarification of justice in this thread
    warmly
  • edited May 2011
  • Here's item 19, slightly abbreviated, originally posted by zenff:

Justice is a difficult concept, though many seem to think it's quite simple. There are traditionally reasons which -in theory- justify punishment.
    --preventing others from doing such things (gen'l prevention)
    --preventing the perp from reoffending (special prevention)
    --simple revenge (the state takes revenge out of the hands of victimes & their relatives to prevent anarchy)

The question is: does this work in real life? Many don't return from penal institutions rehabilitated. And many crimes are committed without consideration of possible punishment: crimes of passion, for example. Further, computer games on "prison dilemma" situations show that some sort of "tit for tat" response to crime does act as a deterrent.
  • edited May 2011
    My comment was that in the case of war crimes, the criminals are not remorseful, as in the infamous examples of Milosevic and company. (Not that this should let them off the hook, but tribunals don't seem to act as a deterrent.)And in the case of Nazi war criminals, it's not as if we're going to prevent any more Nazis from building concentration camps. I appreciate Ric's comment that "time doesn't dissolve your responsibility to pay for your past deeds", and that justice is about fairness. So if someone is brought to trial for colluding in atrocities 60 years prior, it's fair to impose a prison sentence on an ailing man in his last years of life? This is an extreme case that puts our notions of justice and fairness (and compassion for all involved) to the test.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Killing a famous terrorist can make sense for many reasons, but “justice” isn’t one of them.
    I think it depends on one's definition of justice.

I believe in justice. Although there no perfect justice and perfect answers I still think its valid.

In the most simple form: If you hit someone in a fit of rage and that person has to go to the hospital. When you are forced to pay for his treatment...that to me is justice.

If you kill someone because you were in an argument and you go to jail. That to me is justice.

Now as far as how long and conditions of incarceration is all debatable.
    Ric, I think you have the right approach here. Through my son's legal problems, I see a lot of goofy stuff being done in the criminal justice system. But I think we still need a criminal justice system. But with a lot of reforms. Unfortunately, the mood in the U.S. seems to be to be more and more severe.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited May 2011
    zenff & compassionate_warrior, would you mind inserting and/or re-stating some of your final discussion comments from the closed post http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/10622/more-on-war-criminals-justice-and-compassion#Item_19 here? i think the direction you were going might help go to definitional clarification of justice in this thread
    warmly

The “blaming‘ side to punishment is really the problematic thing.
    What can people do about the way their brain works in certain conditions?
    I understand some type of brains simply do not have the application “conscience” installed. Who is to blame for that?

• I think we are all victims of circumstance to some extent but you can only take that so far. If someone is horribly abused as a child and grows up to abuse someone else they are still responsible for their actions.

Also when a poor person turns to crime, a lot of people will defend him and say its not his fault because he did not have the education and all that, which I agree with but he is still responsible for commiting the crime. I also think you take away from the dignity of people who are poor and dont take the easy path of crime and instead do the best with what they have.

You see it as blaming I see it as forcing responsibility.
  • There’s no such thing as justice, imho.
    It is a crazy concept, but it fits some basic wiring in our brain.
    This wiring probably was established when – being social primates – we would beat up the monkey who stole the banana.
    It kind of worked, but only in those conditions.
    It doesn’t mean such a thing as “justice” exists in our universe.
    Also it isn’t necessarily the right approach to managing a complex modern society.
    :bowdown:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2011

The “blaming‘ side to punishment is really the problematic thing.
    What can people do about the way their brain works in certain conditions?
    I understand some type of brains simply do not have the application “conscience” installed. Who is to blame for that?
    OK, so, what, we let the person live freely in society to wreak mayhem, because he doesn't have a conscience? Rehabilitation? Therapy? These are the ideal solutions, but are very costly (but so is warehousing people). It all boils down to the voters' and politicians' priorities, and society's conscience.

I'm sorry I missed the thread on the war crime trial. I'll just say this: the international community has agreed that certain crimes are so heinous, that there should be no statute of limitations on them. So this sometimes results in an extreme case such as the one CW cited. How a bedridden criminal would serve out a prison sentence, I don't know. I like Ric's definition of justice as fairness. I guess sometimes it takes 60 years for the "fairness" to come to fruition. :-/
  • There’s no such thing as justice
    There's no way around the truth of this. The issues are practical. Dealing with the "justice" systems that exist based on the belief that "justice" does exist.

• I'm just curious- how does everyone here define justice? What do you base your answer on?
    When I was a school administrator, lots of kids were sent to my office for breaking the rules. One thing I did when I became principal was to review all our rules. What rules did we really need? Teachers could have gum chewing rules if they wanted to in their classroom, but they had to handle the discipline...which pretty well restricted them to phone calls home or a parent conference, or a detention after school. We weren't going to suspend or expel them, so no reason to send them to the office. And after a few teacher-made phone calls home or parent conferences, most of the teachers decided to drop the rule.

When a kid did something serious enough to be sent to my office -- which meant the possibility of suspension or worse, my policy was LDA -- least drastic action. What did I have to do to make sure the kid stopped doing it, and set an example of school policy?

To me, that's how I define justice. What does society have to do to assure that people stop doing things our society does not believe are appropriate. Rarely do we need an eye for an eye, but we do need consequences that stop inappropriate behavior for those who cannot control themselves.

• All people who are born disabled (we have to carefully define the equal cases here) are to be killed instantly. I believe such was the rule in ancient Sparta.
    If we find a democratic majority for it; do you really think it is “justice”?I don’t.
    I doubt the Spartans labeled this "justice", just as the Nazis didn't label gassing the mentally handicapped and gays "justice".
    I'm just curious- how does everyone here define justice? What do you base your answer on?
    This is a good point. zenff, could you provide us with your definition of justice, so we can address your OP more precisely? In your "justice is a difficult concept" post (which I repeated here from another thread, upon request), your discussion is about punishment, not justice. I think the two are easily confused. Maybe we could at least start with a dictionary definition of justice...?

• edited May 2011
    To me, that's how I define justice. What does society have to do to assure that people stop doing things our society does not believe are appropriate. Rarely do we need an eye for an eye, but we do need consequences that stop inappropriate behavior for those who cannot control themselves.
    We need not only consequences, but rehabilitation or therapy. Otherwise "justice" becomes synonymous with punishment, and the offender is left with the psychological basis for his/her acting out in the first place. Little has changed, other than the offender getting the message that certain behaviors aren't acceptable. That's helpful, but it's sometimes not enough to deter future offenses.

This re-opens the question of what causes crime in the first place? zenff posted early on that a more just society (jobs for all those who could work, and support for the disabled, housing for all, etc.) would eliminate the need for criminal "justice". I still maintain that this oversimplifies the picture. (My comment re: the USSR, BTW, came from living there as a student and observing, not from propaganda.) If everyone's material needs were met, there would still be crime. Why? Because there would still be child abuse and other social problems that lead to crime, there would be disturbed people for any number of root causes. Why do some children steal? It's usually due to emotional issues, not economic circumstances. The causes of crime are complex.

We need not only consequences, but rehabilitation or therapy. Otherwise "justice" becomes synonymous with punishment, and the offender is left with the psychological basis for his/her acting out in the first place. Little has changed, other than the offender getting the message that certain behaviors aren't acceptable. That's helpful, but it's sometimes not enough to deter future offenses.

This re-opens the question of what causes crime in the first place? zenff posted early on that a more just society (jobs for all those who could work, and support for the disabled, housing for all, etc.) would eliminate the need for criminal "justice". I still maintain that this oversimplifies the picture. (My comment re: the USSR, BTW, came from living there as a student and observing, not from propaganda.) If everyone's material needs were met, there would still be crime. Why? Because there would still be child abuse and other social problems that lead to crime, there would be disturbed people for any number of root causes. Why do some children steal? It's usually due to emotional issues, not economic circumstances. The causes of crime are complex.

I'm not quite ready to agree with you in terms of rehabilitation. Here's why. Let's take white collar crime...for which generally I don't think people should be sent to prison. But think about your typical white collar criminal. He usually has an education superior to what the average person has. He has already proven he can be successful in life, pull down a good salary, own a home and a car, and support a family. Why do I need to pay to rehabilitate him. Now you mentioned therapy...okay...I can go for that. And, I think he ought to "pay back" society through working (with supervision).

On the other end are what I'll refer to as hardcore criminals. I honestly believe that some of them (such as some gang members) cannot be rehabilitated. How you would determine that, I don't know...but I would guess it might be based on recidivism.

All those people in between those two extremes, probably can be rehabilitated. And should be.

But to be honest, there's another problem ex-cons face...sometimes fairly, and sometimes not. Prejudism by society. I had a nephew who went to prison...I honestly don't know why...probably drugs. He served 2 years in a medium-security prison. Getting a job has been done mostly through being dishonest on resumes. And when that dishonesty is discovered, he's fired anyway. Finally, he's kept a job by finding a gay lover who owned a restaurant (he's a cook). The idea we used to have in this country, that when you've served your time you're a free man...well, that's not really true anymore.

• edited May 2011
    @vinlyn There's no one-size-fits-all remedy, since there's such a variety of types of criminals, as you pointed out. Sometimes discussions on this board appear to be very black-and-white, when that's really not what posters intend. Thanks for broadening the discussion. The point about white collar criminals has come up before. What should we do, then, with the Bernie Madoffs, not to mention more ordinary con artists? Such people can do serious harm to people. Just because it's not violent crime doesn't mean white collar crime doesn't devastate lives. Some belong in prison, I think, because they're not likely to be rehabilitated (they're so good at manipulating people, they could fake remorse and rehabilitation). What alternative are you proposing, if not prison, that would prevent further harm to the innocent people? I just heard about an option that some criminals are given: they spend the night in jail, but are free to work or go to school during the day. Maybe that would work for the white-collar criminals, if their work were related to making restitution to society in some way.

One place ex-cons can get jobs is with moving companies, I've noticed. But it's not steady work; they work as independent contractors, no benefits, no guaranteed hours, but it's a place to start, at least. There are compassionate employers here and there who are open to giving ex-cons a fresh start, but not enough such people, that's for sure. Best of luck to your nephew.

I'm not sure it was ever true that once you've served your time, you're a free man, and are free to work wherever you want. Maybe a system of agencies specializing in job placement for ex-cons is needed.

I'm sure people have lots of good ideas for addressing the issues that have come up. In the end, it boils down to political will, and funding priorities on the part of federal and local governments. Too bad Bush trashed the US economy.
  • Don't many people base their concept of justice on religious or cultural ideals? This may be why justice to one person is injustice to another. The laws may not fulfill people's idea of justice.

Some people seem to confuse justice with vengeance. They want the punishment to provide them satisfaction rather than have it fit the crime.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >There’s no such thing as justice, imho.

There is when people take "revenge" and start calling it "justice" instead.
  • I think the average person seeks retribution not justice. the justice system on the other hand is just an established tool of society. obviously imperfect, but those are not issues of justice but law, culture and the cold impersonal 'punishment for the wicked' nature of the justice system. prisons are punishment called rehabilitation, if they actually were rehabilitating, that would mesh well with an eventual end to justice as retalliation. then prison would not be the so called 'deserved' punishment for criminals but deserved help. which is as i see it the best way to progress
  • edited May 2011
    I'm just curious- how does everyone here define justice? What do you base your answer on?
    the literature and history of justice is VAST; recent debates about justice (e.g. among Rawls, Nozick, Sandel)are complex..."justice" is in the heart--it's an attitude and behavior...consider the message of the brahmavihara