Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bad news for Buddhists

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
edited May 2011 in General Banter

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thanks for sharing!
  • edited May 2011
    Not good for the world's perception of Buddhism.
    Are you saying that the publicity isn't good for the world's perception of Buddhism, or the "misconduct" of the monks isn't good for the image of Buddhism? Public exposure of these problems is good, because public awareness and outrage can help bring an end to the problem. Keeping these issues hidden only allows perpetrators to act with impunity.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Are you saying that the publicity isn't good for the world's perception of Buddhism, or the "misconduct" of the monks isn't good for the image of Buddhism? Public exposure of these problems is good, because public awareness and outrage can help bring an end to the problem. Keeping these issues hidden only allows perpetrators to act with impunity.
    I don't believe in coverups. I'm saying that when some people see or read things like this, their perceptions about Buddhism will be negative...very similar to the scandal in the Catholic Church.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Buddhism isn't immune to scandals, vin. Far from it. Just a few weeks ago a monk and former gov't official in Sri Lanka was tried for molestation of a number of boy novices. Anytime you house children with celibate adults, the results will be predictable. This is an issue in Taiwan, Sri Lanka, and Tibetan monasteries. The question is: is anything being done about it? It doesn't appear so, unfortunately. Reforms are needed all round. I think we should be more concerned with any trauma the boys suffer, and how to prevent future abuses, than with Buddhism's damaged image.

The film provided doesn't say how the monks had access to the boys; were they novices in the monastery with the adult monks? Were they kids the monks enticed in temples? More information is needed if an effort is to be launched to prevent more of the same from occurring in the future.

If Buddhists want to maintain a clean image for their religion, they need to press for reform and change.
    Buddhism isn't immune to scandals, vin. Far from it. Just a few weeks ago a monk and former gov't official in Sri Lanka was tried for molestation of a number of boy novices. Anytime you house children with celibate adults, the results will be predictable. This is an issue in Taiwan, Sri Lanka, and Tibetan monasteries. The question is: is anything being done about it? It doesn't appear so, unfortunately. Reforms are needed all round. I think we should be more concerned with any trauma the boys suffer, and how to prevent future abuses, than with Buddhism's damaged image.

The film provided doesn't say how the monks had access to the boys; were they novices in the monastery with the adult monks? Were they kids the monks enticed in temples? More information is needed if an effort is to be launched to prevent more of the same from occurring in the future.

If Buddhists want to maintain a clean image for their religion, they need to press for reform and change.
    It's probably even a more difficult (not bigger) problem in Buddhism than in Catholicism since there is no Papal-like structure that controls the entire "church".

There are a number of ways monks in Thailand would have access. There could be novices, although I didn't get that impression here. Many government schools are connected to temples, and I know at one such school in Bangkok, at lunch you can see the school boys "waiting on" the monks -- serving them their food, cleaning up afterwards. Also, in many temples you will see boys hanging out...a more rural phenomenon...and this was in Chiang Mai...so probably not true there.

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Monks are people too... So are other Buddhists.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/05/23/cfp.rivers.thai.sex.slaves.cnn?hpt=C2

If you stereotype an entire religion because of the actions of one or two people...yes. However smart people don't do that.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    If this makes Buddhists or Buddhism look bad then I guess I'll just have to be glad I'm not a Buddhist, phew. ;)
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/05/23/cfp.rivers.thai.sex.slaves.cnn?hpt=C2

If you stereotype an entire religion because of the actions of one or two people...yes. However smart people don't do that.
    I would suggest that perhaps the world's Catholics may not agree with you about how situations like this affect the perceptions of their religion.

• ThaoThao Veteran

Parents in Tibet used to sell their young children, boys and girls to the lamas who used them as consorts in tantric sex. Someday Tibetan Buddhism may be exposed for what it is, just that, meditation combined with sex.

There is abuse in all religions, but from what I read recently, the order of sexual abuse in Buddhism goes like this: Tibetan Buddhism the most, then comes in Zen but with far less abuse, and then seldom in Theravada. In Thailand many become monks because they don't wish to go into the military, so they have a choice. This of course makes for many a bad monk.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Thao can you tell specifically which lamas?
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    which lamas what? i am talking about tibet before the dalai lama left the country, and most practitioners of tibetan buddhism know that the dalai lama teaches from the kalachakra tantra even now. the commentary of the kalachakra tantra is replete with information on how to perform the higher meditations and so reads much like a sex manual with meditation thrown in for good measure. you can get a copy through amazon.com but it is a forbidden book to those who are unintitiated which threats of going to hell to anyone who reads it before being initiated. bascially, it is a secret teaching, and buddha did not teach anything secret. but if you do research online you will see that some lamas have been exposed.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    No which lamas had sex with young boys and girls who their parents had sold as sex slaves? Can you name some in specific?

If the text you mention is forbidden then why is it sold on amazon? Can you give the name of the text? Can you quote portions of the text which display that it is a sex manual? Can you establish that the author's discussion in the text can be generalized as authoritative to all of Tibetan Buddhism?
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    it is just a known fact that this happened in india. i read it somewhere. now the chinese won't allow anyone to join a monastery until they are 18. you could try the online book, the shadow of the dalai lama, and then you could look at its list of references and buy some of those books if you can find them in english.

i imagine that amazon somehow got a hold of the book Commentary of the Kalachakra Tantra and is selling it. I also know that I saw my own teachers manual on the Kalachakra Tantra and in it as is in the Commentary book it says this: ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE RECEIVED THE KALACHAKRA INITIATION ARE PERMITTED TO READ THIS MATERIAL.

The book is written by Gelong Jhampa Kelsang.I looked at all book dealers online and found it only on Amazon.

Here is an interview with the Dalai Lama:
    http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/advanced/kalachakra/attending_kalachakra_initiation/question_sessions_hh/question_hh_initiation_04.html

When one take empowerments in Tibetan Buddhism, these empowerments are combining sex with meditation. Before this time meditation will not be with sex. The idea here is that the male practitioner has to learn to retain his semen, and that you visualize this semen going back up through the chakras. it produces great joy.

From the book: The first empowerment states: "First, one imagines offering a girl, between the ages of 12 and 20, to the vajra master...The vase empowerment is actually given when the imagined girl comes back to the trainee who then enjoys her presence thought laughing and foundling her breasts."

The first empowerments are visualizations, but when you get to the last one the guru gets a consort.

Anyone who teaches tantra teaches this. These teachings are secret. This book, Commentary of the Kalachakra Tantra, comes from the Library of Tibetan Works & Archives.

I would not say that the young boys and girls were sold as sex slaves, but they were given to the monasteries for a price. and they can then be used in initiations if it so pleases the lamas.

Have you not read of exposures? How about June Campbell's book, Travellers in Space? How about Trungpa Rinpoche

Here is a good forum on it: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=256759

Keeping these texts secret and threatening anyone with telling, keeps it even more secret. Most women will not speak out like June Campbell did.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @Thao You seem to be saying that because some abuses have happened that means its an inherent part of Tantric Buddhism and by extension Tibetan Buddhism. However, in the two links you provided there is talk about sex but as one poster said on the forum:

"Now, there is always a possibility that someone is using the auspices of Tantric practice in order to coerce someone into having sex. But that really doesn't have anything to do with Buddhism or Tantrism. That's just plain deception and you have to examine the specifics of what the person did. Asking "Is Tibetan Buddhism Tantric?" is not going to get you any answers here. You gotta ask the guy, "Did you trick these girls into having sex with you by telling them that it's Tantrism?"

There seems to be a clear distinction made by most people between legitimate Tantric practice that only occasionally uses an actual consort and using Tanra as an excuse for sexual abuse that you're not making.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    I am saying that the empowerments given in Tibetan Buddhism have sex incorporated into the meditation practice. So a guru can actually take a consort, have sex with her during meditation, not ejaculate and claim then to be celibate still. This practice is not occasional since it is the practice of those taking empowerments. As one poster quoted from a lama, without sex there is no enlightenment.

Here are some other topics on the subject on the forums:http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=3587&start=100

And this:

http://www.zenforuminternational.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6485

So few people understand this subject that the person you quoted doesn't even understand.

I would suggest anyone desiring to get a better understanding of it read the book i mentioned.

sex+enlightenment+meditation in Tibetan Buddhism all go hand in hand. The gurus will not admit it since to do so puts them in hell in the next life, to even read the material if you are not initiated puts you in hell. At least Nimdrol, a Tibetan teacher, admits it on Dharma Wheel.

• ThaoThao Veteran
    Here are some posts:

"Fundamentally, Vajrayāna is a path of non-renunciation. In other words, in Vajrayāna we are not rejecting any dimension of our experience on the path. Therefore, since we do not reject any of our experience, we have to integrate all of our experience on the path, including our sexuality. If we do not, our path is not complete and our sexual experience continues to be a cause for more samsara.

If you are practicing any kind of mandala yoga for example Kalacakra or Vajrayogini, it is a 24/7 practice."

"Actually according to Highest Yoga Tantra .. You do need sex to reach enlightenment, .. but that is another discussion.."
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "it is just a known fact that this happened in india. i read it somewhere. now the chinese won't allow anyone to join a monastery until they are 18. you could try the online book, the shadow of the dalai lama, and then you could look at its list of references and buy some of those books if you can find them in english."

No it is not a fact if you can't substantiate it.

"i imagine that amazon somehow got a hold of the book Commentary of the Kalachakra Tantra and is selling it. I also know that I saw my own teachers manual on the Kalachakra Tantra and in it as is in the Commentary book it says this: ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE RECEIVED THE KALACHAKRA INITIATION ARE PERMITTED TO READ THIS MATERIAL."

Amazon could be sued if they took an author's work and sold it without that author's permission. All of the texts on amazon have a publisher.

"From the book: The first empowerment states: "First, one imagines offering a girl, between the ages of 12 and 20, to the vajra master...The vase empowerment is actually given when the imagined girl comes back to the trainee who then enjoys her presence thought laughing and foundling her breasts.""

How old is the book? In america it was not uncommon for women to marry at 12 or 13. A couple hundred years ago.

Because there are some sex practices in tantra, this does not mean that all meditation is sex. That is foolishness. The point of sexuality in tantra is non-grasping during the sexual act. I will post something from my lama discussing this.

"Anyone who teaches tantra teaches this. These teachings are secret. This book, Commentary of the Kalachakra Tantra, comes from the Library of Tibetan Works & Archives."

You have not substantiated the first sentence. There could be someone who teaches tantra who does not teach that.

"Have you not read of exposures? How about June Campbell's book, Travellers in Space? How about Trungpa Rinpoche"

Could you provide quotations from said books? I doubt I will read a book because someone posts on a forum.

"Keeping these texts secret and threatening anyone with telling, keeps it even more secret. Most women will not speak out like June Campbell did."

How are they secret if you have read them? That is totally foolish.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Summary: A student finds themselves wondering how is it possible for Buddhism to be the only “Right Way”?

A student asks:

Lately I seem to keep coming back to a troubling form of thought. Being a Buddhist I believe that I have found truth in the ultimate sense, or rather the way to realise truth. When I was a bit younger I had a less defined spiritual identity which allowed for more spiritual flexibility, believing that there was more than one approach to getting at the ultimate truth.

As time has moved along I have actually begun to solidify my beliefs and reject what other traditions teach, for example Christianity and its notion of a God. Yet within my own tradition, the Sambogakaya contains deities, granted there is a complex way in which we are to view these beings/qualities. In this process of solidity I have begun to lose faith in the mystery of it all, forgetting to allow the wonder of the moment contain a vast mandala that, when defined, diminishes in clarity.

How is it really possible for Buddhism to be the only right way and the fundamental belief in God to be a wrong view? This rejects countless individuals in their faith and seems like dogmatic thinking. Is it not possible, in this illusory world of our making, to attempt to construct ways of getting at this vast and mysterious truth that vary greatly but contain skilful methods that work?

Lama Shenpen

Of course that is possible - Buddhist scriptures are full of statements to that effect. The essence has to be the same but the outer form can vary tremendously and certainly doesn’t have to be called Buddhism.

Furthermore what is called Buddhism is not necessarily Buddhism in essence. Anyone can call anything Buddhism - so it’s always the essence that is important, not the form.

For example an extremist group could say they were Buddhist and teach awful things in the name of Buddhism. What could we do about it? Not very much I think.

Student:

I believe Buddhism is the best way for me and that it provides a very skilful path. I believe that Vajrayana* in particular is my path.

Lama Shenpen:

I wonder what you mean by Vajrayana - it is not that easy to define actually.

Student:

...but it differs so greatly even with other paths within the landscape of Buddhism. Vajrayana often takes heavy criticism by other traditions of Buddhism for its ritualistic and esoteric nature and to find this harsh dogmatism within Buddhism does not sit well somehow.

Lama Shenpen:

Again it is important to listen to what exactly is being criticized and why - there may be some point to it. Or it might just be lack of understanding of some kind. After all, what is esoteric shouldn’t be out there in the market place to be criticized - it should be kept hidden and only revealed to those who have faith.

Glossary of terms

* Mandala - Any structure with a centre and periphery. Anything that appears in our awareness takes the form of a mandala consisting of a central focus and what surrounds it. Mandalas have a structure and dynamic in the sense that they are held together by connections between centre and periphery, with emotionality at the boundaries and where one mandala touches on another.
    In most contexts one can substitute for mandala ‘world’, as used in the metaphorical sense. For example, we talk of the world of our experience, our social world, our psychological world, our whole world collapsing.

* Sambhogakaya - Luminous Buddhahood, clarity, perceived by realised beings.

* Vajrayana: The vehicle of Vajra, the esoteric teachings of the Mahayana. A powerful way of practising for those with the good fortune to have a good connection with a Vajrayana Guru. Vajrayana methods depend on empowerment/initiation and can be dangerous if the relationship between the Guru and disciple is not exactly right. Also called tantra and mantrayana.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A student writes:

"I do not know much about the sexual yoga practices of Tantric Buddhism and do not really wish to.

I've not noticed any emphasis on this within the AHS. From what I've read, they seem to me a bit of a digression from the main teachings of Buddhism."

Lama Shenpen:

No, they are not a digression at all. They are very important.

In the after death state, it is sexual attraction that pulls us back into rebirth in samsara, if we could meditate well while engaged in sexual union then we could open out into the bliss essence of reality and rest in that without attachment - it would be a fantastic way to practice meditation and realise Enlightenment.

Generally speaking though, people cannot even meditate properly in the midst of enjoying the bliss of eating a delicious meal let alone sexual union.

The grasping mind is always running on wanting more, wanting what hasn't come yet, wanting to hold on to what it has, feeling regret for what has just gone, comparing this experience favourably or unfavourably with another or simply thinking about something else altogether. It's not easy.

The way to prepare to be able to practise during orgasm in the midst of sexual union with another is to practice awareness in all situations of enjoyment.

When we are good at that then it would be time to move into more advanced practice while in sexual union.

It is very hard when having an orgasm to just rest into the experience without feeling 'oh no!' and somehow closing off. Somehow that would seem too much - too much intensity - a moment or so of that is about what most people can stand before closing off.

Then the tendency is to get obsessed with those few moments and to keep wanting to repeat them but it's hard to do that with complete freshness of awareness - so it becomes boring.

So there is then a tendency to look around for more excitement and more stimulation so that one can trick oneself into waking up more simply through having introduced an element of novelty into the whole thing.

This obsession with wanting to repeat or prolong an experience easily becomes very self-seeking and selfish, leading to misery and more intense samsara than ever, so it's not a practice worth emphasising too much for most people most of the time.

People find out all about this suffering for themselves. I don't need to say much - they practise sex anyway - they don't need me to tell them to do it.

So I just talk a lot about keeping as awake and as aware as one can in all experiences good and bad - so that covers the essence of the practice of sexual yoga. I encourage everyone to practise like that when having sex or a sexual orgasm.

There are special yogic practices one can learn and employ but the essential point there, from the Buddhist point of view, is firstly having the kind of understanding and commitment to practice as above and secondly the adhistana coming from the lineage.

Without that it too easily just becomes egoistic pleasure seeking that leads to simply more samsara and not appropriate for most people.

Student:

"You mentioned about you and Rigdzin Shikpo being married for the rest of your lives and (assuming one accepts the idea of future lives) this gives much food for thought.

I wonder whether this applies to the rest of us too - whether it applies to all our relationships with our family members, relatives and in-laws ... ?"

Lama Shenpen:

It could do.

In the life of the Buddha and in the lives of his great disciples there is a lot of talk about how various people were his parents, his wife, his friends and disciples in past lives and it was because of their pranidhanas in past lives that his chief disciples became his chief disciples and so on.

So yes, it applies across the board - we probably have met this lifetime because of past pranidhanas and we will meet again in future lifetimes because of our pranidhanas in this life - that is why we keep dedicating punya in order to bring all beings to awakening.

That is the ultimate pranidhana for all our connections that we ever had, have now or ever will have to benefit others not just for one lifetime, but for all their lifetimes until they reach the end of suffering.

So yes - Rinpoche marrying us for all our lifetimes was a specific pranidhana made in the context of the universal pranidhana for all beings - and it was made as a skilful means for forming strong and effective mandalas for bringing Dharma into the world.

It's all good stuff.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A student writes:

"I'm hoping that you won't mind me asking for your thoughts on a rather personal matter, because I haven't seen anything that addresses this situation anywhere, although I imagine it isn't all that uncommon.

I've read from a number of sources that desire of all kinds tends to just naturally disappear as we progress on our spiritual path, including sexual desire. This has definitely been the case for me, in all areas where I used to have strong attachments and emotional addictions. Sexual relations now feels to me to be a rather primitive way of showing affection between two people and no longer has an appeal for me."

Lama Shenpen:

When we reflect deeply on the pain caused by attachment, desire does tend to decrease naturally but this doesn't mean that this is the summit of the spiritual path - it is just a calming down caused by not being so driven by one's thoughts and emotions and one's ego-centric attachment to ones own pleasure diminishes.

However actual physical desire doesn't necessarily decrease, nor even one's feelings of sexual attraction. It is just that one has greater freedom to explore these experiences without them turning into attachment and clinging.

In Mahayana Buddhism there are many examples of Bodhisattvas using sexual desire as a means to deepen their practice and to help others. This is especially the case in Tantric Buddhism of course.

Student:

"My partner, however, is not at that point and is not terribly interested in even thinking that this could be a possible, let alone a positive development. My question is whether there is any guidance or advice for couples who find themselves in this delicate situation?"

Lama Shenpen:

If there is I haven't come across it. Maybe it is because our idea of what it means to have a relationship as a couple is not a standard one in traditional Buddhist cultures. Marriage is about family ties and not so much about the relationship in the couple. I think it often happens that one or other partner feels drawn to renunciation and wants to give up the sexual side of their relationship - maybe because they feel they have too much desire and attachment or maybe because its just faded away from lack of interest - their interest has turned to deeper things and there is no more wish to pursue feelings of sexual desire.

If both partners feel this it is easy - they both renounce the world and that is that - like Mahakashyapa and his wife. If it is just one partner who feels this then it can become more of a problem - sometimes one partner finds they can engage in sex as a kind of Bodhisattva activity to make another being happy - or they may even be fortunate enough to have some Tantric teaching on how to use sexual feeling as a means of deepening their practice.

Even without specific instruction on this - one can actually choose to focus on the desire as the experience one is turning towards and experience it directly while letting go of any tendency to grasp. The effect of this practice is to actually increase desire, intensifying the practice enormously. That is why it is not the obvious first step in dealing with strong sexual desire and attachment.

It is good to have quite stable meditation practice first in order to carry the practice over into strong feelings of sexual pleasure. Otherwise it becomes difficult to distinguish genuine practice from mere indulgence that simply increases attachment and traps us ever more deeply in samsara. It is very important to be able to incorporate sexual desire into ones awareness practice because it's our failure to do this that causes us to grasp at rebirth in the bardo after we die. So it's a great thing to practice with!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A student writes:

"Over the last few years I have read a number of books by Chogyam Trungpa and I meditated often at the Shambhala center in Amsterdam as I lived there for five years. I understand that he was one of your main teachers."

Lama Shenpen:

Indirectly he is a main teacher, in the sense that I met him and he sent me to India, and then later I married Rigdzin Shikpo and became his student and his main teacher is Trungpa Rinpoche. I also have had Vajrayogini empowerment from Trungpa Rinpoche.

Student:

"I was very moved by his works. Recently I read on the internet something that disturbed me and filled me with doubt, As he was a much realized teacher why did he choose to often drink alcohol? Does this not interfere with his clarity and insights?"

Lama Shenpen:

He has actually written an article about the Dharma way to drink alchohol. It is a traditional practice for siddhas and yogins and in a person of Trungpa Rinpoche's calibre there is no need to doubt his practice while drinking.

I have heard many first hand reports of quite astonishing facts about how he behaved when seemingly completely drunk . I heard from those close to him that he was always very strongly present and aware, whatever was happening.

Student:

"This behavior is difficult for me to understand and I hope you can shed some light on this. I respect his teachings very much but do you not recommend refraining from intoxicants?"

Lama Shenpen:

Yes it is difficult to understand it. I don't think we need to try to understand exactly at this stage - maybe one day we will

Yes I do recommend refraining from taking intoxicants, especially if you are doing something like driving and other situations where it's important to be sober and clear.

I do not see any harm in a certain amount of drinking for relaxation and enjoyment but it's important not to be attached to it.

I think it's important to not develop a culture around oneself where people feel uncomfortable to not drink - because some people really cannot go near the stuff � it's such an addiction - so it would be awful to have a sangha where people couldn't join in socially because they were not drinking.

I think it's important not to make a big deal out of it either way.

However, if you move on to practice in the Vajrayana context, one of the vows is not to refuse the meat and alchohol served at the feast ceremonies. That is something to bear in mind.

You don't have to take more than a taste - but it's good to know that this is the custom. At that time even monks take alcohol because Vajrayana vows take precedence over the monks vows.

They are more important and more powerful and more sacred. They relate to a deeper meaning that goes beyond our usual concepts of good and bad.

However Vajrayana is supposed to be an esoteric tradition into which you need to be initiated by a competent Guru. These teachings are not for public consumption so therefore generally speaking I would say it is important to keep away from intoxicants - at least to an intoxicating degree.

How can one be clear and responsible for ones actions if one is too intoxicated to know what one is doing? That is why it's so important not to take intoxicants.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "No which lamas had sex with young boys and girls who their parents had sold as sex slaves? Can you name some in specific?"

You still have not answered my question. I could state: "Missionaries have sexually abused tribal peoples in Africa". If I could not produce an example then my claim would be baseless. It would be like saying "many basketball players have 16 fingers". "Its a well known fact." If I could not produce an example of a basketball player who had 16 fingers my claim would be groundless (and immature/irresponsible).

Thank you.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    The book was written in 1985. It is a Tibetan text, in Tibet they used 11 year olds on up to the very early 20s. After that women are pretty much useless and evil, have too much power.

I have no idea why Amazon is able to sell this book, but I do know what is in the book, and that it is accurate and that the Tibetans over on Dharma Wheel have agreed that sex is needed for enlightenment and that the tantras are about sex. And hey, this dialogue with the lama and student prove it. The lama who wrote the Commentary was Tibetan and came here and lived in Seattle.

Your lama may tell you that it is about non grasping, but i assure you if you visualize sex or use a consort, you continue to have desires, and the idea of Buddhism is to rid one of desires. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

This is not what Buddha taught. The Tantras came from India and were taken to Tibet in the 8th Century. Buddha said that what he taught was not secret or hidden. The Tantras are hidden. But more and more they are being found out.

I rest my case and you made it very well with the lama and student dialogue.

If you wish to practice Tibetan Buddhism then that is fine. I am just saying that as the thread implied, people learn about sex in Buddhism in Thailand and are shocked, well, I think that this is also shocking, if not more so, especially when many lamas claim to be celibate but instead have consorts and keep it all a secret.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Are you saying the commentary was written in 1985 or the text it refers to?

"After that women are pretty much useless and evil, have too much power."

Is that your feeling or Tibetan Buddhism? My lama is a woman!

"Your lama may tell you that it is about non grasping, but i assure you if you visualize sex or use a consort, you continue to have desires, and the idea of Buddhism is to rid one of desires. Don't let them tell you otherwise."

The idea is that your freedom is not conditioned. If you have desire WHEN seeing a naked woman you have not rid yourself of desire. That is why they practice with that situation. I don't personally practice tantra.

"I have no idea why Amazon is able to sell this book, but I do know what is in the book, and that it is accurate and that the Tibetans over on Dharma Wheel have agreed that sex is needed for enlightenment and that the tantras are about sex. And hey, this dialogue with the lama and student prove it. The lama who wrote the Commentary was Tibetan and came here and lived in Seattle."

Definitively a secret is not widely known. If it were it would not be a secret. What you are saying is like unto saying that a lightswitch is both on and off at the same time. It denies reason.

Tantra was taught in the theravadan tradition from BCE 800 to 1000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "No which lamas had sex with young boys and girls who their parents had sold as sex slaves? Can you name some in specific?"

You still have not answered my question. I could state: "Missionaries have sexually abused tribal peoples in Africa". If I could not produce an example then my claim would be baseless. It would be like saying "many basketball players have 16 fingers". "Its a well known fact." If I could not produce an example of a basketball player who had 16 fingers my claim would be groundless (and immature/irresponsible).

Thank you.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "The idea is that your freedom is not conditioned. If you have desire WHEN seeing a naked woman you have not rid yourself of desire. That is why they practice with that situation. I don't personally practice tantra."

Desire is transformed into sensitivity without self nature. At that point sexuality may be used compassionately to liberate one and others from grasping.
    I think you are getting into a debate for the sake of debating.

I am reminded of the Mormon Church. Are there Mormons who are still polygamists? Yes, particularly in rural areas of far southern Utah. But it is not fair to say that "Mormons believe in polygamy". The practice has been denounced by the official governing body of the Mormon Church and the vast majority of Mormons. There are splinter groups and people who still approve of it.

This is not unlike the argument you are having. No one in their right mind would question that there are priests, ministers, monks, abbots, of all religious groups who have the kind of sexual relations you are talking about. And, in my view, it is not fair to condemn a religion for what a few people do in that religion. The question we should be asking is -- does the (whichever one we're talking about) branch of Buddhism support it NOW or not. Does Mahayana Buddhism officially support it, or are those who are guilty of it simply rogues? NOW?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    vinylyn,

I agree that sexuality is part of the practice of Tibetan buddhism. Every situation is workable in that view and not just pure ones. As the heart sutra says 'no purity and no impurity'. Or as bodhidharma said to the emperor of China when asked what emptiness was: 'lots of space and nothing holy'.

I disagree with how vanjrayana practice is characterized by Thao. I also question the logic of some of his arguments and I wish to clarify what he/she is saying so that we know what we are talking about.

Finally I thought the sex slave statement was irresponsible and downright evil in the sense of leading to suffering unless there is evidence to back it up. If I were to make a negative claim about venerable Theravadan monks it would also be innapropriate unless I could back it up.

Such claims not only reflect ill will perhaps in Thao which is difficult to pacify if one is acting out on; but they also produce negative states of mind in the vajrayana students who may listen to his/her speach.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    Where do you think the Tibetans in tibet got 11,12, 13 year old girls to use in their Tantric practices? They were given to them, either for a little money or free, but given just the same. If you think what I have said is evil, what I can tell you is that it is very evil for lamas to use girls for their sex/meditation. What you are learning in regards to Tibetan teachings in the West is a very sanitized form. If you read all of the research on tantra that is written in The Shadow of the Dalai Lama you would learn how they obtained these young girls, even how they have had to coax them with sweets to get them to do what they want. If you bought any of the books that they reference as I did you will find that what I am saying is not lies. What is being said by lamas today is lies. One lama told me that it wasn't sexual at all. Yet others have said, yes it is and be careful. Well, I am over the age limit for being a consort, so I don't worry, but I do have concern over the harm that is being done in the name of religion. You don't seem to want to look into any of this but just take your teacher's words for what is truth. I learned to not do this years ago, as a result I don't trust authoritarian figures. I check out everything for myself, but here you are asking me to do the homework for you, and yet you don't accept it after it is given. I can do nothing about that.

"Youth is a further requirement which the mudra has to meet. The Maha Siddha Saraha distinguishes five different wisdom consorts on the basis of age: the eight-year-old virgin (kumari); the twelve-year-old salika; the sixteen-year-old siddha, who already bleeds monthly; the twenty-year-old balika, and the twenty-five-year-old bhadrakapalini, who he describes as the “burned fat of prajna” (Wayman, 1973, p. 196). The “modern” tantric already mentioned, Lama Gedün Chöpel, explicitly warns that children can become injured during the sexual act: “Forcingly doing it with a young girl produces severe pains and wounds her genitalia. ... If it is not the time and if copulating would be dangerous for her, churn about between her thighs, and it [the female seed] will come out” (Chöpel, 1992, p. 135). In addition he recommends feeding a twelve-year-old honey and sweets before ritual sexual intercourse (Chöpel, 1992, p. 177)."

http://www.iivs.de/~iivs01311/SDLE/Part-1-03.htm

“In the rite of ‘virgin-worship’ (kumari-puja)”, writes Benjamin Walker, “a girl is selected and trained for initiation, and innocent of her impending fate is brought before the altar and worshipped in the nude, and then deflowered by a guru or chela” (Walker, 1982, p. 72). It was not just the Hindu tantrics who practiced rituals with a kumari, but also the Tibetans, in any case the Grand Abbot of the Sakyapa Sect, even though he was married."

On a numerological basis twelve- or sixteen-year-old girls are preferred. Only when none can be found does Tsongkhapa recommend the use of a twenty-year-old. There is also a table of correspondences between the various ages and the elements and senses: an 11-year-old represents the air, a 12-year-old fire, a 13-year-old water, a 14-year-old earth, a15-year-old sound, a 16-year-old the sense of touch, a 17-year-old taste, an 18-year-old shape or form, and a 20-year-old the sense of smell (Naropa, 1994, p. 189).

"The rituals should not be performed with women older than this, as they absorb the “occult forces” of the guru. The dangers associated with older mudras are a topic discussed at length. A famous tantric commentator describes 21- to 30-year-olds as “goddesses of wrath” and gives them the following names:"

The Kalachakra Tantra urges the yogi to render the mudra pliant with intoxicating liquor: “Wine is essential for the wisdom consort [prajna]. ... Any mudra at all, even those who are still not willing, can be procured with drink” (Grünwedel, Kalacakra III, p. 147). It is only a small step from this to the use of direct force. There are also texts, which advise “that if a woman refuses sexual union she must be forced to do so” (Bhattacharyya, 1982, p. 125)."

"Since the general public demands that a Tibetan lama lead the life of a celibate monk, he must keep his sexual practices secret. For this reason, documents about and verbal accounts of clerical erotic love are extremely rare. It is true that the sexual magic rites are freely and openly discussed in the tantra texts, but who does what with whom and where are all “top secret”. Only the immediate followers are informed, the English author June Campbell reports.

Of course, the mudra must swear a strict vow of absolute silence regarding her relations with the tantric master. Should she break it, then according to the tantric penal code she may expect major difficulties, insanity, death and on top of this millennia of hellish torments. In order to intimidate her, Kalu Rinpoche is alleged to have told his mudra, June Campbell, that in an earlier life he killed a woman with a mantra because she disobeyed him and gossiped about intimacies."
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Here is how they get the girls:

"How does the yogi find a real, human mudra? Normally, she is delivered by his pupil. This is also true for the Kalachakra Tantra. “If one gives the enlightened teacher the prajna [mudra] as a gift,” proclaims Naropa, “the yoga is bliss” (Grünwedel, 1933, p. 117). If a 12- or 16-year-old girl cannot be found, a 20-year-old will suffice, advises another text, and continues, “One should offer his sister, daughter or wife to the ‘guru’”, then the more valuable the mudra is to the pupil, the more she serves as a gift for his master (Wayman, 1977, p. 320)." So basically they are given, not sold to the guru. This is still slavery for the young girl.

http://www.iivs.de/~iivs01311/SDLE/Part-1-03.htm

The Kalachakra Tantra urges the yogi to render the mudra pliant with intoxicating liquor: “Wine is essential for the wisdom consort [prajna]. ... Any mudra at all, even those who are still not willing, can be procured with drink” (Grünwedel, Kalacakra III, p. 147). It is only a small step from this to the use of direct force. There are also texts, which advise “that if a woman refuses sexual union she must be forced to do so” (Bhattacharyya, 1982, p. 125).
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Ok show me that all of these are authoritative for all of Tibetan Buddhism. Thanks.

Also you have not produced a lama in specific. Only texts. Kalu Rinpoche is only alleged. Therefore it is not proven. June Campbell obviously did not have a good experience with her teacher. Do you believe that Kalu Rinpoche had a past life? Do you believe he said that? Do you believe June Campbell? Why do you believe June Campbell but you don't believe Tibetan Buddhist. Alleged.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I have asked my teacher about this, quoting your last two posts. I will let you know what she says. Until she responds I will remain silent from the discussion.

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    To clarify the reason that alleged should not be taken as fact I will explain. I could claim that Obama is not a U.S. citizen. Based on that claim nobody should vote for Obama in the next election. Would that be reasonable behaviour?
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    I don't have to prove anything on this. It has already been documented. Whatever your teacher or even my ex teacher has to say on the subject doesn't matter either. I have the texts that I needed to make my own decision. What I have learned is that no matter what you quote from, a lama will deny it as accurate, but then you will find lamas, even this teacher/student thing you posted that shows that sex/meditation is taught by tibetan buddhists. your teacher may not know of these quotes, may not have researched them, and just like others, say that they are taken out of context, aren't true,etc. which is why i got one of the books to see for myself that was written by reputable lama who lived in tibet. even one of the tibetan teachers on dharma wheel forum admitted that alcohol is taken.

I believe June Campbell because I have dealt with gurus and their sex in the past, and I know how women are put down when they talk about their experiences. She had a lot of lose by speaking out because anyone who speaks out is put down, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=9356526887&topic=5757 here is another bad lama. most lamas will not get caught because their consort/s are sworn to secrecy and threatened if they do. and most women don't wish to expose themselves to ridicule by speaking out. plus it is very embarrassing and degrading to speak out unless you can go in a group. every woman i know that has spoken out was called a liar, mentally disturbed, or just wants fame. these three reasons for their speaking out are said by every group i have had contact with or been in.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "Whatever your teacher or even my ex teacher has to say on the subject doesn't matter either. I have the texts that I needed to make my own decision."

This sounds close minded to me. You are not open to the idea that there are other teachers than your ex. Much like you would never be with another woman/man due to an ex. You are accepting that the book you read is the truth without further examining the question, which I think is due to a negative experience with your teacher.

Again I have asked my teacher because I have genuine concern and curiosity as to what she will say.

As far as the swearing to secrecy argument I could accuse anyone of anyting and say they had sworn their victims to secrecy. I could accuse mother teresa of sexually abusing me and swearing me to secrecy.

If a man were to accuse a prominent woman of a sex scandal with them for example: hilary clinton, madonna, the princess of england etc... they would also be criticized. That is circumstantial rather than indicating a causal link.
    Thao, what is your purpose here?

It appears it is to slander Buddhism.

I look forward to your answer.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Well I guess Tibetan Buddhism is out the window. And the monk in the video from the OP was Therevada so I guess I can't practice that either. Zen monks from Japan committed atrocities in WW2 so I guess Zen is off limits too. Christianity had the crusades and the inquisition, Islam has Al Queda. Maybe the Jews are ok? I guess they're not very nice in Isreal today. Can I put my faith in science? Atom bomb, global warming. Guess not. Our world is a pretty degenerate place, if we're going to exclude everything that has faults then we'll have to exclude everything and everyone. There's alot that's good and right in Tibetan Buddhism, they're very kind and compassionate, have a long tradition of sound scholorship and many highly realized teachers and practicioners. You may be right about some of its flaws but I'd rather help bring it up to todays standards for ethical behavior than abandon it altogether.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Thank you person
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I'm still curious what my lama will say but this is what I have written her:

Dear Lama Shenpen,

I've thought about this more and I decided that if I thought that my activity were causing a harmful act to young woman I would have to cease my behaviour. But I don't myself know what is going on. My dealings with the sangha I am proud of. I have received teachings and friendship that is good. If there is negative activity going on which I don't know about it would not cease should I leave. I think that I don't practice Tibetan Buddhism rather I practice buddhism.

Thank you and sorry I dumped this on you but I felt I couldn't resolve it.

Sincerely,

Jeff
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    It's about the need to introduce reforms. If we don't identify the problem, or sweep it under the rug, then innocent children and women dharma students (and some men dharma students) will continue to suffer. Compassion requires us to shine the light of day on these realities, unpleasant thought they may be, so that solutions can be found. Of course this is painful for some practitioners to hear, as I'm sure it is/was for Catholics to find out about similar problems in their Church. But I don't believe that the fact that there are abuses diminishes the value of much of Buddhist theory. I've read brilliant work by TB authors. Does the fact that the purveyors of these theories are flawed mean that the entire tradition is worthless? I think not. But it does force some deep reflection and soul searching on some of us. And hopefully the news of these abuses will spur some of us to action, to find a way to end the suffering children and adults endure at the hands of corrupt or unethical monks and teachers.

There was a time in the US when to discuss child abuse and child rape in the context of domestic abuse was taboo. I remember when that began to change. At first I thought, "Why bring this up for public discussion? eewww, how unpleasant!" (Forgive me, I was young at the time.) Now, of course, it's clear that breaking this taboo, bringing public awareness to the issue, enacting policies, laws, police training, etc. was a giant act of compassion. Would we deny this same compassion and rescue to the boy novices who get molested or raped on a weekly basis for years? Or to the girls who end up as sexual sacrifice to medieval rituals?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Dakini, I thought about this and at first thought it was directed at me though of course that is unreasonable. I think only certain people have the opportunity to shine the light of day. Eventually the sex scandal in the Catholic church became very apparent and even people who had covered it up at one time testified. There were records of sex offenders being given charge over children and so forth.

In my case I am not in the ideal position to address this. I think I have done what I can to ask my lama directly if she knows anything about this. I could check out those books, but I wouldn't for the same reason that I would not read books about theories on the Kennedy assassination (thats a funny word did I spell right? :p )

I agree that if there is anything I can personally do to prevent abuse then I should do that. In fact I would be more in a position to help if I stay in my sangha and observe then I would if I left the sangha only on the basis of allegations.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Well, I just wanted to apologize to you and other TB practitioners if this topic is causing pain. And yes, the problem is that there have been few lawsuits: 2 that I know of in the US. India's judicial system is notoriously molasses-like, so no one that I know of has brought a case there, and anyway, according to reports, women who have suffered abuse are threatened with all kinds of things, and are terrified to say anything. Or intimidated by potential shame, as someone above mentioned. So without documentation, it's easy for people to pretend the problem doesn't exist. Anyway, it seems like we've covered the subject adequately.

And I love person's point that TB (and other traditions) could be brought up to modern ethical standards--hear hear! Back during the theocracy, those in power weren't interested in ethics, they didn't have to be. But now that they have to live up to the laws and standards in the countries where the Tibetan diaspora finds itself, the day will hopefully come when certain improvements or modernizations will be made. Transparency is important, I'm not sure what that would do to the esoteric side of the practices.

I like the model of the Ch'an school in Taiwan, Fo Guang Shan. Their teachers study in Buddhist universities that require courses in professional ethics and psychology, as well as Buddhism and probably pedagogy (teaching techniques). And Taiwan is famous in the Buddhist world for ordaining women.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I brought this up because the op was saying that thailand buddhists are giving buddhism a bad name, and i said so are tibetan buddhists. built into the system of tibetan buddhism is the teaching that sex brings one to enlightenment. this is not true. tantra was not part of buddhism when buddha was alive. he specifically said that he had no hidden teachings, and the pali canon was arrived at right after he died during the first council. the tantras were brought from india in the 8th century to tibet. they were basically hindu teachings.

the guru system is really a system of authoritarianism. in this system there is a lot of corruption because power corrupts and absolute power absolutely corrupts.

i am reading an article in the tricycle magazine on a book titled: American Veda, which follows the beginnings of Hinduism in the west and its demise. it fell apart in the west because people learned that the gurus were interested in sex and money. people left the monasteries in droves. even the vedanta society in america isn't holding up. my own guru there said that people were dying off and no one was coming into the organization. when i saw the corruption, even i left. i watched many leave. the gurus there had consorts, and i didn't realize this until i learned from a female neurologist that treated the nuns. and then i had to learn other things for myself. i saw many women leaving, and what i got from the gurus was that they were liars and mentally disturbed. i saw the same in other moments that other friends were in. it was all hushed up, and people that stayed didn't believe that their guru was doing or had done wrong.

when i learned that tibetan buddhism also had consorts and that sex was built into the teachings of meditation, i left my new teacher. i should have done more research when i began, before i took refuge.

i have been in other groups that had the same problems, not just the vedanta society.

what i am saying is that tibetan buddhism may not hold up due to the same reasons that hinduism in the west fell.

now in tibet the chinese won't allow children to join the monastery. you have to be 21 i believe, and they come and check out the monasteries, and if they find photos of the dalai lama they take them out. this came from the book, waiting for the dalai lama. this is good that the chinese government is doing this, but still the chinese government has been cruel to the people, killing many, etc.

the commentary i have on the kalachakra tantra was written by a lama who had lived in tibet, who taught these tantras there. Here is his life:

http://dbc.dharmakara.net/GNDBiography.html

If anyone, his student text should tell you how this teaching is taught, and it does. And so when he writes that you visualize a 12 year old girl, fondling her breasts, then you know that they actually like young girls, and in later initiations, the highest, the monks get a real consort, and these consorts are young women. it doesn't matter that people marry young in tibet, what matters is that they are offered to the lamas in a ceremony, and the young girls have no choice in the matter. alcohol is also used in these ceremonies. i think this is despicable, and so now this teaching comes to the u.s. and lamas choose young women as consorts, as the one lama did with june campbell.

i do not slander buddhism. i am telling you the truth about tibetan buddhism. that is not slander. i have high respect for theravada and zen, along with chan. but any teacher that harms a student in any of these groups i have no respect for. i do not respect any tantra teachings because they were not taught by buddha and if they were i would not have respect for buddha.

edited June 2011
    Thao -- when I do a Google search of "mahayana buddhism + sex", I find nothing about this. What I want to know is if any of the governing groups of mainstream Buddhism endorse what you're talking about, or whether you are reading books that represent splinter groups.

And by the way, I was the OP and what you're talking about was not the intent of my post. My post was about an isolated temple where individual monks were acting illegally.
  • edited June 2011
    Sadly, it's not true that the Chinese in Tibet have across the board banned children from entering monasteries. According to travelers' reports, many rural areas don't have schools, the Chinese have not invested sufficiently in school-building, so that the result is that they have had to disregard their own law, and children enter monasteries to get an education, such as it is. Whether or not the Chinese require a modern curriculum in those monasteries, or the traditional limited curriculum of calligraphy and basic math (plus endless memorization of Buddhist texts) continues, I don't know.

OK, so Vinlyn, you're saying we hijacked your thread. You wanted to stick to the situation in Thailand. Thanks for clarifying. Thao, if you want to continue your topic, you may start a new thread.

P.S. Thao: the Hevajra Tantra of the Sakyas requires the use (or visualization of) a 10-year old girl.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    sorry vinlyn. i guess i thought it went hand in hand with bad news for buddhists and how the world sees them. i am talking about tibetan buddhism not mahayana. but i think i should stop because people are free to believe what they want and will continue to believe what they want, and i should just be tolernate of this as i just listened to a talk by master sheng-yen.

compassionate_warrior, thanks for your post. sorry to hear that children are still entering the monasteries. yes, using visualizaton of a ten year old and if you have taken the highest tantras you get the real thing. sad but true.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "the guru system is really a system of authoritarianism. in this system there is a lot of corruption because power corrupts and absolute power absolutely corrupts."

I think there is some truth to that, but by that argument we should not have any organization whatsoever in society. Anarchy would be best. Therefore one must not resort to simplistic thinking in these cases. Rather than deciding your behaviour based on a motto or slogan people must examine real world situations and determine what is true.

Just as not all of Thai buddhism is reflected in one temple.... so too not all of people's experience with Tibetan buddhism represented in one author.

Regarding harming people I do not wish to harm others either. I find your generalizations harmful. For example if a person whos name had started with a T had harmed me I would not conclude that Thao was also harmful.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I also adamantly disagree that sexuality cannot be used to further spiritual practice. I dispute the factual nature that it is institutional for Tibetan gurus to have teenage consorts against their will. For example that would imply that the Dalai Lama has a teenage consort who he is raping. He is a master of Dzogchen the highest Tantra?

Are you saying the Dalai Lama is a rapist? Have any prominent Theravadan teachers corroborated that HHDL is a rapist? If not then why have they not? Do they not also have access to amazon.com? And google?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Thao,

Do you believe that Buddha taught all of the things he knew? Do you believe that the dharma can be added to by students of the Buddha?