Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

every American school teacher's dream

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited May 2011 in General Banter
God bless the Aussies! ....

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    That was all pretty good. I liked the little bit they put at the end "if you'd like this in another language, please move to a country that speaks it."
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    No, it's not every American school teacher's dream. Yes, we'd laugh about it, but a good teacher would actually care.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    No, it's not every American school teacher's dream. Yes, we'd laugh about it, but a good teacher would actually care.
    Vinlyn -- I meant no disrespect towards American teachers, many of whom are my friends and exceptionally caring. But given the bureaucratic gyrations of a majority of school systems, I for one, do not begrudge them a little crankiness.
  • genkaku- that was funny and I don't think that it's meant to demean the teachers.
    Too many parents defend their child's rotten behavior and place the blame on everyone else. It's sad because the children and society lose in the long run.
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    I know many teachers and work directly with secondary school aged children on a daily basis. I can honestly say that unfortunately the two main reasons some teachers become teachers are July and August.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I call BS on it being an actual message hehe.
    I call BS on it being an actual message hehe.
    Perhaps so ... but it's pretty good BS, don't you think?
    I know many teachers and work directly with secondary school aged children on a daily basis. I can honestly say that unfortunately the two main reasons some teachers become teachers are July and August.
    As a retired teacher and retired administrator, I wouldn't say that many teachers became teachers for that reason. Most Americans get about 3 weeks vacation, teachers 7 weeks during the summer, and every few years much of that summer is taken up taking college courses to renew teaching licenses. Plus, many teachers work on curriculum for the summer (more experienced teachers) or teach summer school or find part-time jobs (particularly the younger teachers).

I understand that your experience may be different.

Just another thought on this. In 7 years as principal, I fired 4 or 5 teachers (actually one was an assistant principal). And in a long time period as assistant principal, collected data that led to the firing of about an equal number of teachers.

The ones we canned were all relatively dedicated people. But being dedicated doesn't necessarily mean one can actually do the job. Not once did we have to fire one of the less dedicated people. They did their jobs. Maybe not the ideal, but they did what they needed to do.
    edited June 2011
    Just another thought on this. In 7 years as principal, I fired 4 or 5 teachers (actually one was an assistant principal). And in a long time period as assistant principal, collected data that led to the firing of about an equal number of teachers.

The ones we canned were all relatively dedicated people. But being dedicated doesn't necessarily mean one can actually do the job. Not once did we have to fire one of the less dedicated people. They did their jobs. Maybe not the ideal, but they did what they needed to do.
    Interesting how sincerity is not necessarily a good yardstick for competence -- whether in teaching or parenting. A nice reminder. Thank you.

Interesting how sincerity is not necessarily a good yardstick for competence -- whether in teaching or parenting. A nice reminder. Thank you.

Perhaps the saddest case was a young lady from West Virginia who came with the recommendation of being "The Student Teacher Of The Year" in West Virginia...English teacher. It took only a couple of weeks before the complaints began to pour in from parents. We quickly began making observations, and it was clear there were huge problems. The principal at the time had been an award-winning English teacher herself, so began making frequent visits with follow-up conferences making recommendations on strategies and lesson plans. All to no avail. So the she would go in first period and teach the lesson. The new teacher could then observe and "copy" how it was taught the other four periods. Absolutely no improvement. She just didn't get it. We worked harder at helping her than we had ever done with any other struggling young teacher. In the end we had to counsel her out of the profession. Just heartbreaking.

• I know many teachers and work directly with secondary school aged children on a daily basis. I can honestly say that unfortunately the two main reasons some teachers become teachers are July and August.
    What about the extra hours they work daily, grading papers at home? What about the personal funds they often need to spend to buy supplies for the classroom? What about the low pay in many districts? And you begrudge them summers off? The fact is that work in the US has an inhumane vacation schedule--many jobs allow only 2 weeks vacation annually. In Europe it's common for people to get 4-6 weeks off.

• edited June 2011
    Are all these attendance and homework compliance problems in Australia mainly among the White population, or the Aboriginal population, or both pretty much equally?
    That was all pretty good. I liked the little bit they put at the end "if you'd like this in another language, please move to a country that speaks it."
    Australia has dozens of Aboriginal languages. Maybe some of the parents legitimately need a recording in their Native language. What kind of schools do the Indigenous children attend? I'm just wondering if there's a hidden ethnic issue in this matter. What seems like a funny joke may in fact be covering racism. Interesting the assumptions people make.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Vin, please tell us one thing: what is this business of English teachers in public schools not teaching grammar? I've taught in public schools as a trainee, and the English teachers openly said that teaching English grammar was the job of the foreign language teachers! wtf??!! :wtf: So many students get to college without knowing anything about grammar, that the UNIVERSITY foreign language profs has to spend 2 days/wk. teaching Eng. grammar! So that the students could have the vocabulary and concepts to grasp the foreign language's grammar. (I cut a lot of foreign language classes in college due to insufferable boredom.) What gives, Vin?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "So that the students could have the vocabulary and concepts to grasp the foreign language's grammar."

thats insane
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Like they say, "The truth is stranger than fiction". I take it you went to a good school, Jeffrey. Actually, one of the schools where I taught was considered a pretty prestigious school, where professors' kids attended. :-/ Go figure.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    My highschool was a public school but it had some good teachers. You could probably get by knowing very little in my highschool, but there was opportunity to learn quite a bit. There were honors classes in english and math. There were easy and hard sciences. There was kinda a college prep track and a another track that I am not sure about the quality. They have improved the second track by having it more related to jobs and trade AFAIK

I had much better grammar and spelling back then. I am more relaxed now and don't worry too much on the internet. Also I miss spell sound alike words like to too there their our are and so forth since I have been on medication.

My university did not make accomodations for those who did not know what grammar was.
    Vin, please tell us one thing: what is this business of English teachers in public schools not teaching grammar? I've taught in public schools as a trainee, and the English teachers openly said that teaching English grammar was the job of the foreign language teachers! wtf??!! :wtf: So many students get to college without knowing anything about grammar, that the UNIVERSITY foreign language profs has to spend 2 days/wk. teaching Eng. grammar! So that the students could have the vocabulary and concepts to grasp the foreign language's grammar. (I cut a lot of foreign language classes in college due to insufferable boredom.) What gives, Vin?
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Did gradeschool teachers in the schools you were associated with teach grammar? Did highschool english teachers teach advanced grammar and composition skills? What states were you working in as teacher and principal? The entire West Coast and New Mexico, (allowing perhaps for the rare exception) hasn't taught grammar in public schools at least as far back as the 1950's, when a cousin of mine went to school in CA, and NM residents say the same.(My student-teaching experience was in Seattle.) According to friends of min in PA, PA public schools don't teach grammar or composition, either. I worked in a university for years, and the profs always complained that most student' writing skills were abysmal and getting worse. I think I've read newspaper articles about universities setting up remedial grammar courses for incoming freshmen. Please tell us about your experience and observations. This avoidance of grammar has always puzzled me, and been a consternation to scads of parents.
    @ Dakini -- In a somewhat similar vein, my brother-in-law was livid beyond description when his son got into an Ivy League college and the college made it a requirement that all freshmen take a remedial writing course. My brother-in-law saw this as an utter waste of the good money he was paying to have his son go to that college. His son, thanks to a good high school, already knew how to write a competent essay in English.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Genkaku, incoming freshmen should be given the option of testing out of that requirement. It's a total waste of time for people who did receive grammar and composition instruction in school. If a college had required that of me, I'd have gone as high as necessary to get out of the requirement--to a Dean, if necessary. I can't bear sitting through remedial work.

Thanks for your post. :) Remedial classes shouldnt be forced on people who can prove they don't need them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    In college we had an introductory (different name for remedial) composition class. One could pass out of it based on a battery of submissions of their writing. I did not pass. The introductory course was interesting on its own merits. We studied narratology (the nature of narrators of stories) and wrote compositions. We read the Odyssey and the gospels.

Did gradeschool teachers in the schools you were associated with teach grammar? Did highschool english teachers teach advanced grammar and composition skills? What states were you working in as teacher and principal? The entire West Coast and New Mexico, (allowing perhaps for the rare exception) hasn't taught grammar in public schools at least as far back as the 1950's, when a cousin of mine went to school in CA, and NM residents say the same.(My student-teaching experience was in Seattle.) According to friends of min in PA, PA public schools don't teach grammar or composition, either. I worked in a university for years, and the profs always complained that most student' writing skills were abysmal and getting worse. I think I've read newspaper articles about universities setting up remedial grammar courses for incoming freshmen. Please tell us about your experience and observations. This avoidance of grammar has always puzzled me, and been a consternation to scads of parents.
    Most schools today which I am familiar with teach "situation grammar" (my phrase). For example, there are not the formal grammar classes of old, but if an English teacher sees students are weak on capitalization, then they teach lessons on capitalization. If they see students weak on subject/verb agreement, then they teach lessons on that. I was primarily in Virginia and Maryland.

edited June 2011
    Genkaku, incoming freshmen should be given the option of testing out of that requirement. It's a total waste of time for people who did receive grammar and composition instruction in school. If a college had required that of me, I'd have gone as high as necessary to get out of the requirement--to a Dean, if necessary. I can't bear sitting through remedial work.

Thanks for your post. :) Remedial classes shouldnt be forced on people who can prove they don't need them.
    My question is, how in the wide wide world of sports could anyone get admitted to a college in the first place if they couldn't write a halfway decent essay? This sounds insane to me.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    genkaku I am sure princeton has a higher standard than halfway decent. They could not get into princeton without the ability to write a halfway decent essay. they must go 'all the way decent' though short of the pulitzer prize.

remedial is a word. at princeton it means something different than 'remedial' in highschool
    Jeffrey -- If I'm not mistaken, colleges and other schools are in business to teach students. Through trial and error and effort, students learn. Teachers 'correct' their papers and sometimes demand that the students do the same ... hoping to teach them whatever the 'right' way happens to be.

"Remedial" refers to helping those who lack basic skills. It is founded on a lack rather than premised on a past foundation that allows things to move forward. High schools can (perhaps should?) provide the foundation on which a decent house can be built. If the basement is inferior, the house will be too. With college expenses being what they are, should college teachers be expected to teach high school classes? If college is going to be the agency that spends time correcting high school failures ... at what point and at what cost do college classes begin? The same, I imagine, might be asked about the mission of high schools ... at what point does parenting leave off and education begin?

I've got no answers for this stuff, but it seems to me that at some point, in any occupation, there has to be a line in the sand ... if you can't do 'x' 'y' or 'z' then ... well, there are other occupations in life. Is it unduly nasty for a trucking company to expect applicants to know how to drive? Should that trucking company be expected to teach driving to those who can't? If so, why?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Genkaku,

Michael Jordan was one of the top players at North Carolina basketball in college. He needed remedial classes when he came to the NBA. Make sense?

• My question is, how in the wide wide world of sports could anyone get admitted to a college in the first place if they couldn't write a halfway decent essay? This sounds insane to me.
    In the school I attended, the teachers all said we had to write well to get into college and stay in college. I took their word for it. Imagine my surprise when a prof told me, after grading a term paper, that I "write well". I thought, wtf?? Doesn't everyone??! (My HS teachers had lead me to believe everyone at the college level did.) No, sadly, everyone doesn't. I later learned that the majority doesn't.

But entrance essays for college are now almost universal, they weren't back then. So maybe now they use that to weed people with poor grammar/composition out. Somehow, though, I doubt it. Well, except at the Ivy League schools and equivalent, which Jeffrey pointed out have higher standards.

Vinlyn: how are students going to understand lessons on subject/verb agreement if the terms "noun, verb, subject, object" have never been taught? First they need to learn the terminology, which at some point in history used to be a grade school subject. How are students expected to learn to write, even to a point where a teacher determines they're weak in this or that aspect? Are they expected to just absorb by osmosis writing skills from their gradeschool primers and other textbooks and their own extracurricular reading? Do schools have stated policies about this? Are their state teaching standards about this?

(This is an interesting breath-of-fresh-air change from the usual topics. :) )

• edited June 2011
    I think Genaku's post makes a lot of sense. I think that's the way things used to work. But for some reason the situation changed. Maybe when college started to become more accessible to a larger population, idk.

Yes, and then there are the special admissions: the sports scholarships, the "diversity" admissions (many minority students have top grades, but some from inner city schools or remote rural areas don't, so the bar is lowered a little in schools that have a diverse student body as their goal). Should entire courses be devised just for the few? Colleges usually have peer tutoring centers for that. Community colleges, I would think, would be good for those needing remedial skills before transferring to a university. And I think the practice of admitting students on sports scholarships who don't have sufficient academic background or performance has become controversial, I'm not sure.

Vinlyn: how are students going to understand lessons on subject/verb agreement if the terms "noun, verb, subject, object" have never been taught? First they need to learn the terminology, which at some point in history used to be a grade school subject. How are students expected to learn to write, even to a point where a teacher determines they're weak in this or that aspect? Are they expected to just absorb by osmosis writing skills from their gradeschool primers and other textbooks and their own extracurricular reading? Do schools have stated policies about this? Are their state teaching standards about this?

(This is an interesting breath-of-fresh-air change from the usual topics. :) )

The concept of the approach I referred was a result of an old model where topics such as subject-verb agreement and punctuation were taught year after year after year, whether a student learned it or not. If you "got it", no reason to keep having it given to you.

Many colleges do require a course such as Composition 101, but also students to test out of it within the first few weeks if they show proficiency in writing. Again, if you don't need it, why take it?

I have to admit in the midst of this discussion that I qualify as an old fart. When I went to college I went with the benefit of a good high school education. I also went with the understanding that college was a sink-or-swim operation ... everyone got thrown into the 12-foot end of the pool. If you failed often enough, the college threw you out.

These days, my question to any college I might consider for my children is the same: How many students did you throw out last year for academic reasons? The answer, whether from the best institutions or the worst, is few to none, I'd guess. This has led me to think that there is a greater need than ever for quality vocational training -- not as a means of holding anyone back or putting anyone down or creating a race of serfs, but as a means of meeting the needs and capacities of those who (like one of my sons) really doesn't want to or is not capable of college. It's hard to look down on a trade when I pay the plumber or electrician about what I pay the cardiologist.
  • edited June 2011
    Genkaku, while vocational training may be a good idea and has been in public discussion lately (I think the NY Times ha a piece on it recently, proposing a system similar to Germany's), I'd caution about this for two reasons: 1) just because students don't get taught the basics in high school doesn't mean they can't handle college. They're being cheated in high school, so before we institute some type of sorting program to send some students into voc ed, we need to bring our grade- and high-school education up to snuff nationwide. 2) I've visited schools that had a track system, and also had a significant percentage of minority students. Although my observation of some of the minority students was that they were intellectually curious and at least potentially capable (I don't know what their achievement level (earned grades) was, but they were in the slow track), they told me their teachers or school counselor had slated them for vocational education. I was a bit perturbed about that. So my point is that before we set up a sorting program that shunts students away from college prep to vocational ed, we need to eliminate racism from the teacher and admin ranks. (Full disclosure: "Stand and Deliver" is one of my favorite films. ;) )
    CW -- The stuff you mention crossed my mind as well. Even the educators I know can't come up with a realistic solution (something that includes perspective and intelligence and honesty) so I guess anything I say qualifies more as uninformed bias than anything else.

The only statistic that comes compellingly to mind was one I read a number of years ago -- that only 25% of the voting public have school-age children. If this is the case, then 75% of the voting electorate is less likely to be concerned about education and the financing it might take to upgrade high schools and speak to the honest needs and capacities that individual kids have. I guess we all can talk a good game, but paying for it is another matter.
  • So true, genkaku, so sadly true. It's come up before in discussion that there doesn't seem to be any more sense of the common weal any more, everyone's voting per their own selfish interests rather than for the common good. And look where it's gotten us. :(
    I guess we all can talk a good game, but paying for it is another matter.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Wow, this topic has really taken off! :) I have a question for Vinlyn, who has so much experience in the public schools. Back to the Q about why grammar isn't taught, at least, not systematically, if at all. Vin, you say that it's taught on sort of a needs basis, a situational basis. And that they used to teach punctuation and subject-verb agreement year after year. Why would they do that? Do they do that in any other subject? Do they teach addition and subtraction year after year? Times tables year after year? No, they've developed a progression of steadily increasingly-demanding skills, based on grade level, which is based on the brain's ability to absorb certain concepts at a certain age. That's for math. (And in high school you get algebra, geometry, and eventually trigonometry for college prep tracks.) It's universal in public schools as well as private. That is a rational, sensible, practical and constructive approach.

In private schools (and maybe some public schools, idk) it's the same for grammar. In early grade school you start out learning the concepts: "Noun is a name for a person, place or thing". Does anyone remember that? In the next grade you move up to writing simple sentences and analyzing how they're put together, word order, and such. Next grade, you move up to compound and complex sentences, how those work, how they're put together, the difference between the two, and appropriate punctuation. In highschool, you move on to advanced grammar, learning about parallel construction and other aspects of complex sentences. In the next year, you learn how to organize a paragraph, and by extension, a long essay. By Jr. high you've begun to do basic research papers, learning how to organize them into chapters. In high school you're doing more advanced research papers, and ideally you apply what you've learned about how to organize an essay and by extension--a research paper (Introduction, main body where you outline and give your arguments in a logical progression, conclusion). By the time you graduate, you've had enough practice at these skills, that you can do well in college writing.

As principal of several schools over your career, Vinlyn, did you come across any policy or school or state standards regarding this? Or is everyone just winging it, and allowing English teachers to pass off their responsibility to the foreign language teachers? Why do we have skill progression by grade level in math, but not in grammar and composition? A lot of parents would like to know. So would I.

If the OP feels this is off-topic, we can take it to PM's. But there seems to be a bit of interest here.

...Back to the Q about why grammar isn't taught, at least, not systematically, if at all. Vin, you say that it's taught on sort of a needs basis, a situational basis. And that they used to teach punctuation and subject-verb agreement year after year. Why would they do that? Do they do that in any other subject? Do they teach addition and subtraction year after year? Times tables year after year? No, they've developed a progression of steadily increasingly-demanding skills, based on grade level, which is based on the brain's ability to absorb certain concepts at a certain age. That's for math. (And in high school you get algebra, geometry, and eventually trigonometry for college prep tracks.) It's universal in public schools as well as private. That is a rational, sensible, practical and constructive approach.

In private schools (and maybe some public schools, idk) it's the same for grammar. In early grade school you start out learning the concepts: "Noun is a name for a person, place or thing". Does anyone remember that? In the next grade you move up to writing simple sentences and analyzing how they're put together, word order, and such. Next grade, you move up to compound and complex sentences, how those work, how they're put together, the difference between the two, and appropriate punctuation. In highschool, you move on to advanced grammar, learning about parallel construction and other aspects of complex sentences. In the next year, you learn how to organize a paragraph, and by extension, a long essay. By Jr. high you've begun to do basic research papers, learning how to organize them into chapters. In high school you're doing more advanced research papers, and ideally you apply what you've learned about how to organize an essay and by extension--a research paper (Introduction, main body where you outline and give your arguments in a logical progression, conclusion). By the time you graduate, you've had enough practice at these skills, that you can do well in college writing.

As principal of several schools over your career, Vinlyn, did you come across any policy or school or state standards regarding this? Or is everyone just winging it, and allowing English teachers to pass off their responsibility to the foreign language teachers? Why do we have skill progression by grade level in math, but not in grammar and composition? A lot of parents would like to know. So would I.

If the OP feels this is off-topic, we can take it to PM's. But there seems to be a bit of interest here.
    Of course, curricula are developed state by state, and sometimes system by system, so my answer won't reflect every school system.

I'm not so sure it's that different between math and science. For example -- and it varies with the ability level of the students involved -- simple addition is not taught in just first grade. It's reviewed the next year, but becomes more complex. At some point in elementary school (just not sure which grade level) it's not taught anymore, except in a remedial sense (and again, that's sort of the situational thing). Once you've learned multiplication, it doesn't end there in just one year. It's brought up again multiplying decimals and fractions. In all of these cases there's a degree of review from one year to the next to be sure students have the basics, before adding on new concepts.

And, to a large extent that's true in English curriculum. You may be introduced to nouns early on, but then comes pronouns, proper nouns, etc. You may learn to diagram sentences in middle school (that was abandoned for a long while, but has seen a resurgence). And, think how much more complex diagramming sentences is than just recognizing parts of speech. At some point learning parts of speech gives way to more composition, and that's where the "situational" teaching of grammar comes in. And, when I talk about the situational grammar, that can be handled in a number of ways. If most of the kids in the class don't get the concept, the whole class may be retaught the old concepts. If it's a smaller group, the teacher might divide the class up into learning groups. Remedial groups where students are put into special groups outside the classroom are becoming far less common. Another thing that we experimented with in both English and math -- for students who were having problems -- was letting them sit through the same class twice in one day, or having them take math from two teachers and perhaps see the concepts explained differently by two different people.

The foreign language aspect you mentioned. I've never seen that, and in our middle school we had French, Latin (some years), and Spanish.

so.

I am not one of those people who puts on blinkers when it comes to discussion. All topics always go off-topic. Pretending they don't is the problem. I say, as long as it generates some (even silly) interest ... let 'er rip!

GRAMMAR. The only (there were probably more) practical application I recall when it comes to parsing sentences etc. came when I took a language test in the army. The test consisted of a made-up language. On page one (and I'm remembering this only roughly), there were a series of nouns and rules related to them. Page two consisted of questions that related to those nouns. Page three consisted of verbs and rules that affected them. Page four consisted of questions related not just to the verbs on the preceding page, but also the nouns originally offered. Page 5 was adjectives and their rules. Page six was questions relating to those adjectives, the preceding verbs and the preceding nouns. And on it went, each question page incorporating preceding information. You were allowed to look back at earlier pages, but that took time and you only had so much time in which to complete the test. Luckily, success on the test was not measured by how many questions you completed but by how many you got right. If you got more than 32 right, you passed the test.

Having taken other foreign languages in high school and college and having learned a little about parsing sentences (Gawd I hated it), probably was the reason I made it into army language school -- the single best school I ever attended. Why was it the best? Because they told you what they were going to do and they did it splendidly.
  • Most schools today which I am familiar with teach "situation grammar" (my phrase). For example, there are not the formal grammar classes of old, but if an English teacher sees students are weak on capitalization, then they teach lessons on capitalization. If they see students weak on subject/verb agreement, then they teach lessons on that. I was primarily in Virginia and Maryland.
    vinlyn, this is not a personal attach against you as an educator. Many people question why our students perform so poorly despite all the money spent on education in the US. Does this mean that the school's curriculum is decided by the student's poor skills instead of a set subject that is required before the students can progress to the next level? I'm old, so the school curriculum was one that required a passing level of subject material. Our English curriculum included spelling, grammar, composition, reading comprehension, and literature. We were regularly tested on spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, etc. How else can students learn these skills? What is more important than learning proper language skills these days? How can they study other subjects if they can't read or write with comprehension and skill? What are the students being taught?

edited June 2011
    @ Kayte -- You doddering twit! All we gotta do is Tweet and 'connect' on Facebook and be super sincere and all will be right with the world. Look what it did for Anthony Weiner. :)
  • @ Kayte -- You doddering twit! All we gotta do is Tweet and 'connect' on Facebook and be super sincere and all will be right with the world. Look what it did for Anthony Weiner. :)
    You're right, genkaku. What the heck was I thinking? I'm probably one of the few people in the world (along with some sheepherders) without a facebook account and "tweets", to me, are for the birds.

As far as Anthony Weiner and his YKW- I prefer not to look. :hair:

vinlyn, this is not a personal attach against you as an educator. Many people question why our students perform so poorly despite all the money spent on education in the US. Does this mean that the school's curriculum is decided by the student's poor skills instead of a set subject that is required before the students can progress to the next level? I'm old, so the school curriculum was one that required a passing level of subject material. Our English curriculum included spelling, grammar, composition, reading comprehension, and literature. We were regularly tested on spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, etc. How else can students learn these skills? What is more important than learning proper language skills these days? How can they study other subjects if they can't read or write with comprehension and skill? What are the students being taught?

You're not understanding the concept...perhaps I didn't explain it well.

At various levels in elementary school all those concepts that you mention are still taught. When I was a kid, grammar, punctuation, capitalization (and so forth) were also reviewed and taught again in various grades in middle school and even in ninth grade high school. But think about the kid (like me) who was always a great speller. Why does he have to continue to learn spelling when he's already mastered it. I was always great at grammar (although couldn't necessarily state the specific rules). Why should I have to continue to sit through boring lessons in grammar if I've already "got it". Why not let me move on to writing more sophisticated composition?

And by the way, I write fast online, so I don't necessarily use my best grammar here.

:D

• You're not understanding the concept...perhaps I didn't explain it well.

At various levels in elementary school all those concepts that you mention are still taught. When I was a kid, grammar, punctuation, capitalization (and so forth) were also reviewed and taught again in various grades in middle school and even in ninth grade high school. But think about the kid (like me) who was always a great speller. Why does he have to continue to learn spelling when he's already mastered it. I was always great at grammar (although couldn't necessarily state the specific rules). Why should I have to continue to sit through boring lessons in grammar if I've already "got it". Why not let me move on to writing more sophisticated composition?

And by the way, I write fast online, so I don't necessarily use my best grammar here.

:D
    I agree that good students should be allowed to progress unimpeded by the weaker performers. In my day, they did separate students by their abilities. It did stigmatize the slower learners, but that is something that the school should address by rules governing civil behavior.

I guess I was confused by the posts about remedial classes needed in college. My kids told me that there were many students at college who didn't belong there. They were not trying to be unkind, they just said that these kids were totally unprepared for the course work. My kids were tutors in college and were frustrated by the students who expected them to do their homework for them instead of trying to help them.

My language skills have declined over the years. Some days, I'm lucky if I can string coherent thoughts together. :dunce:
    I asked my college freshman son how well he thought the high school he had attended prepared him for a college regimen. His terse reply, "Not at all." But this may be a separate issue.
  • I still don't get why basic skills like punctuation, capitalization, etc. would need to be taught year after year. Once you learn it, you're done and you move on. Why hold up the whole class because some kids didn't get it the first time? That's what summer school is for. Or the kids who need extra help might stay after school and get tutoring, or the parents hire a tutor, whatever works. In my school, the teacher would have the kids who were working at the expected level work in dependently toward the end of the hour so she could work with the slower kids and help them catch up.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions, Vin. Apparently many of the Western states don't have a curriculum like what you described. The entire West Coast, AFAIK. I think smaller class size would help a lot, but there still has to be the will to teach grammar.

Yeah, I remember diagramming sentences, I didn't find it all that helpful. But maybe for some students, it helped. Is that what you call "parsing" sentences, genkaku? Where did you go to army language school? The one I've heard about in the US, that's said to be quite good, is in Monterrey, CA. That sounds like a very interesting test you took.

I agree with everything kayte said. Unfortunately, it does seem that computers and text-messaging are setting up bad habits in students, and perhaps creating the impression that grammar, spelling, etc. aren't needed. (There's spell-check, right? WRONG!) :p
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions, Vin. Apparently many of the Western states don't have a curriculum like what you described. The entire West Coast, AFAIK. I think smaller class size would help a lot, but there still has to be the will to teach grammar.

Yeah, I remember diagramming sentences, I didn't find it all that helpful. But maybe for some students, it helped. Is that what you call "parsing" sentences, genkaku? Where did you go to army language school? The one I've heard about in the US, that's said to be quite good, is in Monterrey, CA. That sounds like a very interesting test you took.

I agree with everything kayte said. Unfortunately, it does seem that computers and text-messaging are setting up bad habits in students, and perhaps creating the impression that grammar, spelling, etc. aren't needed. (There's spell-check, right? WRONG!) :p
    A couple of interesting things in your post.

The class size issue. During my years of teaching I found the ideal class size was somewhere between 20-24. You would think smaller class size would be even better, but one year when I had class sizes under 20, I found it was difficult to get class discussions going, which really had a negative effect on post-lab discussions. What's more interesting is that -- ALTHOUGH I DO NOT AGREE -- a number of studies have shown that until class size reaches about 40, there doesn't appear to be a negative affect on student learning. Although those studies didn't measure the long-term effect on teacher burnout.

Your last point about text messaging. Just a few days ago I saw a CNN report on a young Latino teacher in (I think it was) Chicago who was having students respond to things in class via text messaging. I was appalled. All I could think of was what it was doing to written English language skills. HUMBUG!

:eek:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I think we all agree with you, Vin: HUMBUG!
    edited June 2011
    CLASS SIZE: Once, as a reporter, I was talking to a superintendent of schools in a nearby community. It was a difficult district he oversaw, not least because of a large and often transient Latino population (English was not always a first language) and a dwindling budget.

The superintendent told me about one particularly tight year at the beginning of which some 40-50 students were jammed into a single class. During the very first meeting of the class, the teacher came in, told the students why there were so many in the classroom (not enough money) and laid down the law ... the teacher realized things were tough, but he would not tolerate disruptions. The superintendent said that halfway through the year, he scrounged up the money to allow the class to be split in two...but by that time, things were running smoothly and not a single student wanted to be separated from any of his classmates.

I'm not suggesting that humongous classes aren't all that bad, but I was interested that someone could turn lemons into lemonade.
    QUALITY: When my kids were in public grade school, I became pals with the principal. She was a rotund, tough/kind person with a good mind. And one day, as a mild form of baiting, I asked her why it was that school systems seemed capable of identifying students who were in some way 'challenged.' Likewise they could identify those who were more or less 'mainstream' (the group into which school systems like to feed the 'challenged' group if possible). But woe betide the school system that tried to identify and encourage kids who were (to pick one possible word) 'gifted.' Anyone unwise enough to bring that subject up risked being eaten by parental or political wolves. And yet without such a willingness, my thought was, doesn't everyone suffer? Is one great and meretricious 'mainstream' really the stamp needed for a good education?
    CLASS SIZE:

I'm not suggesting that humongous classes aren't all that bad, but I was interested that someone could turn lemons into lemonade.

Sometimes. Depends on the situation. My second year teaching I was working in a rather pathetic school district on the outskirts of Rochester, NY. I was actually hired in March...the 16th (yes, you read it right) teacher to be in that classroom that year. The department chair said, "Vincent, we don't expect you to be able to teach these kids. Just keep them under control." 10 days later he walked in and was shocked to see them working in an orderly manner or a lab, and each student had a science notebook.

On the other hand, the last year I taught, I was in a school in Fairfax County in Virginia...decent school. But I had two low-ability classes of students, one of which was doing fine, the other I couldn't do anything successfully with them. I ran out of strategies.