Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A quick education on Buddhism

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    As far as I am concerned, personally, any book by The Dalai Lama is a precious jewel, from someone with a wealth of experience. He's a marvellous orator and communicator. He speaks from a position of authority and experience, but with breathtaking and genuine humuility. He also has investigated other religions, subjecting them to fine scrutiny. Not to pick them apart and to deride them, but to understand them deeply, and to connect in a positive and constructive way.
    The other book may be a better one to begin with though....

Start them both, and see how you get on.... :)
  • edited February 2006
    Thank You Federica :) I also am looking forward to the meditation. Do you meditate often and if so what do you feel you get from it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I don't meditate as often as I could, but when I do, even for five minutes, I love it. I want to increase my time in meditation, so this is an issue of self-discipline for me, but I'm not beating myself over the head about it.....
    It grounds and centers me, and I feel calm and composed as a result....
    The immediate and long-term benefits of meditation are all good. However, it's advisable to start with short periods, and to try to fix a specific time during the day. Early morning is good.... and to not do it if you're sleepy or liable to be disturbed.
  • edited February 2006
    Can you reccomend any boos or sites that may help me in the propper way to meditate? I had mentioned it to friend if mine and she aske asked if all my Chakras were open and im not quite sure what that meeans or how to go about it.
  • edited February 2006
    Thank You Zen
    I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning from you and with you as well.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yes I was wondering what buddhist believe regarding the afterlife, also my wife bought a couple of books online and I was wondering if they were ok for a beginner like myself? The first one called How to Practice The way to a Meaningful Life By His Holiness The Dalai Lama, and the other book is called Buddhism for Bginners by Thubten Chodron.

Hi, Looking.

Those are both excellent books for beginners. I enjoyed them thoroughly. If you go to the recommended reading thread on this board you will find other books you might like to try as well.
    When it comes to meditation, check out some of the threads here. I got a lot of great information about it by doing that. Also, Genryu can give you some great advice about meditation in the Japanese Zen tradition.

Try these:

www.budsas.org/ebud/ebmed083.htm

www.mro.org/zmm/meditation/index.html

Brigid
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    OOOPS!

I guess Genryu already gave you The Seat of Enlightenment link! He's fast.
    The other is from the Tibetan tradition.

Have fun!

Brigid
    edited February 2006
    Ok.... Well there are many types of meditation, from different schools and traditions. Here is just my understanding of what she is saying to you, though I may be wrong.

I believe she is referring to a Yogic stream of Meditation, because Indian medicine (Ayurveda) and the practise of Yoga detail the existence of energy centres, or vortices in your body, called 'chakras'...these are places in your body where Energy is centred, channelled or accessed, to varying degrees.
    There are many chakras in the body, but the Seven main ones rise through the centre of your body, (but more towards the spine) and affect the corresponding organs, and temperaments, emotions and feelings asociated with them. the Base chakra is at your perineum, the Crown (Supreme) chakra is situated about an inch above the top of your head. They are given the colours of the rainbow, (Red being the Base Chakra) presumably for visualisation, but also because colours and crystals and herbs come under those categories and can be used in association with the relevant chakra. I have heard that all these chakras spin in alternate directions, so if the one in your perineum is healthily turning clockwise, the next one (situated at the level of about an inch below your navel) will be turning anti-clockwise....
    And those in women turn in opposite directions to those in men. So if my base chakra is turning clockwise, yours is turning anti-clockwise....

The purpose, through the combination of right diet, medication (according to any conditions accurately diagnosed by a Yogic mendicant) yoga and meditation will eventually enable your chakras to be turning as they should, and in perfect time and harmony. This will then enable the Kundalini to rise through your body close to the spine (through the centre of the Chakras) and to connect you with the supreme source of enlightenment and realisation.

This is really big-time stuff though... and not easily done! The best anyone can hope, as a lay person displaying a keen interest, is to at least try to open up the energy channels and attempt to get most of the chakras turning well most of the time. This last bit, I guess, is what your friend meant....
    Kind of like the juggler spinning all the plates and keeping it all hanging really well....!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2006
  • edited February 2006
    Thank You I appreciate the informatio. Sounds like alot of practice.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    "the next one (situated at the level of about an inch below your navel)"

Fede, isn't that also the seat of Chi? How interesting!

And my chiropractor used a very new technique called "Spinal Network Analysis" in which she used very light touches and some gentle pressing on specific areas. She used to do something to the base of my spine that opened up the area (I forget what she called the opened area) and the results were astonishing. The effects were felt all the way down my left leg. It may have had something to do with neural pathways. Too bad I can't afford her anymore.

And thank you, Jason, for all those wonderful links!! I have a computer so filled with information it's worth far more than its weight in gold!

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Thank you for the links Brigid.
    I will check them out.
    :)
    edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    "the next one (situated at the level of about an inch below your navel)"

Fede, isn't that also the seat of Chi? How interesting!

Absolutely right... The hara, in japanese tradition, and the Dan Tien in Chinese....Ah, the wonderful inter-connectedness of all things....!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Thank you for the links Brigid.
    I will check them out.
    :)

You're very welcome, LFE.
  • edited February 2006
    Hi Everyone!!
    I started reading my book Buddhism for beginners and let me tell you I am really enjoying it. It makes you look things alot differently. I almost feel like a heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders in some ways. When I was attending my church meeting being mormon and all I always felt like my Bussiness was everyones bussiness. Now I feel mre in control.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Hi, LookingforEnlightenment,

I'm glad you've found more of a sense of control from reading that book. Control of one's mind, actions and future is a big part of Buddhism. As you go further you will find a sense of personal responsibility that is truly empowering.

Coming from a Christian context myself I found many things in Buddhism that were wonderfully freeing and other things that were difficult to accept. I found I needed to "grow up" and finally stand on my own two feet, as my own judge and my own "saviour". It was difficult. It felt like growing pains. I was reluctant to let go of certain dependencies and false comforts on one hand, and on the other I was raring to go out into my new world on my own.

Now that I know that I'm responsible for my own suffering and that I'm responsible for my own joy, and how I create both, I'm really starting to grow up and gain a sense of self-confidence that I knew was always there but had been hidden from me with layers of mistaken views and downright silly ideas.

The world is starting to make a lot more sense to me now. But I have to confess that it was scary for me at first. I had to learn to trust the process and even begin viewing myself as a process. I've noticed lately that I heave these huge sighs of relief every couple of days, as if the tension I've been holding in my body and mind is slowly, but noticeably, being released. I know that my future isn't out of my control anymore. It's a big responsibility and a huge relief.

We're all on the same path, sharing similar experiences and challenges. We're here to help you and to learn with you. Whenever you have a question feel free to ask it. Whenever you have a comment feel free to make it. We're learning from each other and this is our soft place to fall. Make yourself at home because you're welcome here and we're glad to see you.

With Metta,

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Great post, Brigid.

I had done a lot of reading on Buddhism and other Eastern religions. Why I didn't start PRACTICING it sooner, I'll never know. But I have for about 6 months now. The difference is beautiful. I feel like negativity and tension has been released (as they have...those nasty attachments!!!). I notice the everyday 'miracles' and beauty of life. Appreciate that it is a gift and it must be treated as such.
    It is a process and at times a difficult one. But the highlights make it all worth it.
  • edited February 2006
    Good evening everyone!
    I Just had to say that the more I read my book Budhism for Beginners I have a neww appreciation for the people I interact with and the way I treat them. I try to catch myself before judge them mentaly or talk about someone in negative way with my coworkers. My eyes, heart and mind have been opened a little wider.
    LFE
    edited February 2006
    It's like a breath of frsh air, isn't it.....? Like seeing everything painted new.... :)
  • edited February 2006
    Yes, my mind seems more clear and it is like seeing somthing for the first time.
  • edited February 2006
    Real love isnt jealous, possessive or limmited to just a few near and dear ones. Rather its impartial and is felt for all beings.
  • edited February 2006
    Hi Tycho,
    Thank you for the Buddhism links. I look forward in learning more about Buddhism at these links.
    dolphin lover
    edited February 2006
    I thought this would be an interesting snippet for those who are curious.... :)

What Zen is and what it emphasises
  • Bobby_LanierBobby_Lanier Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Asian Buddhists generally believe in karma, rebirth, and I guess you could say, the afterlife. I am not sure about the other side of the ocean. On this side of the blue ocean, Stephen Batchelor's book is very popular, Buddhism Without Beliefs. Generally, he is not sold on rebirth or an afterlife, but don't take my word for it, I could be wrong.

In the stories about the Buddha before he became enlightened, he was many different entities from a deer to the god, Brahman. I guess you could say he had plenty of afterlifes while he was perfecting himself. There are works in the Pali canon which speak about good people who, after they die, come to live in a splendid mansion. I remember one story, it was about a frog who was accidently killed while listening to the Buddha. In the afterlife he received a mansion.

Love ya all,

Bobby
  • edited February 2006
    Heheheheheh, Bobby. Good old Georgia neighbor, we up here in all out Kentucky bag a few of you guys speeding right on down that road in Valley Creek road. Them Kentucky troopers alway let you old gaffers loose. Heheheheh, must be from that old same line of Southern blood, heheheheh.

Hallelujah
    M Bolden
  • edited March 2006
    I am interested in finding a Buddhist center near Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington where visitors are welcome.
  • edited March 2006
    Hello everyone!
  • edited March 2006
    Hello everyone!
    I have a question. When I meditate i have a hard not noticing very little noise or sometimes my mind wanders a little on the days events do you have any suggetions what maybe can keep me focused.
    Thank You
    LFE
    edited March 2006
    First of all, it happens to everyone...Even the most 'experienced' meditators are subject to the everyday distractions life brings, or to the everyday distractions the Mind brings...

It's quite normal.

In both cases, notice them, be aware of them, then let them go and return to your breathing.....
  • edited March 2006
    Thank You Federica,
    When you meditate do you use inscents or music or do you just keep it completly silent?
    edited March 2006
    I used to... But these are just props.... distractions, even, if you like...They help set the mood perhaps, and make is feel more....'Spiritual, or Dedicated'...they help us set the scene, and create an atmosphere we feel may be more 'Temple-like' and sacred...
    And initially, there's nothing wrong with that, providing we don't begin to believe that they are necessary, or part and parcel of the Meditation itself.... we may spend such a long time preparing everything, we don't get round to meditating - !!

I am no expert, and my meditation practise (as far as frequency and length of time are concerned) may to some, leave a lot to be desired.
    But when I do meditate, I find I am able to do it anywhere I like..... as a passenger in a car, or in a supermarket queue, I can just come back into myself and be still....

I look at things without labelling, or commentary....serenity in a mad world, is a wonderful thing. :)
  • edited March 2006
    I see your point :)
    I guess the more you practice the easier it becomes to reach that state of mind where your mind is clear. Tonights meditation actually felt alot better I actually had no distractions.
    Thanks again
    LFE
  • edited March 2006
    This experience I have is quite interesting, to be as a learning Buddhist and teacher.
    I have in past and now seen children who are in a 'meditating' state. It looks almost scary..
    But the child will be working and then all of a sudden, be staring, not moving or paying attention...then they will 'snap' out of it and move on. (As a teacher, I also need to make sure they are not seizures!)
    The first reaction might be to interupt the child. But, maybe they are in a 'state of mediation' without knowing it? Could it be poosible?

Sorry if it sounds silly....
  • edited March 2006
    Often they're daydreaming. But your point about not necessarily snapping them out of it is a valid one. Psychologically it's important that they do that - it actually helps with some brain/cognitive process', if I remember my child psychology correctly. As an aside, I'd personally avoid using the term 'meditative state' to describe anything beyond scientific correlates of brainwave patterns in meditation - mainly for the reason that there is no one meditative state. All of our states of mind are meditative states if we are mindful of them.
  • edited March 2006
    thanks Zenmonk for that clarification. I wasn't sure what term to use to describe it...
  • edited March 2006
    Good Morning from sunny southern Cali!!!
  • edited March 2006
    And to you LOE, though it ain't sunny here in Michigan right now.
  • edited April 2006
    Hello Everyone,
    I hope eveyone is doing well. I have a question. I was wondering what the difference was between Buddhism from India, Tibet , Cambodia and so on I am not sure which I should practice. I know that I want somthing uses meditation I am just at a confusing point right now but also anxious to continue on my path. Please help me understand. Thank You
    Loe
  • edited April 2006
    tycho wrote:
    I found this website while searching on the internet looking for information on the basics of buddhism. Each essay covers the basics and most provide a unique point of view to help those new the the religion to understand most of its aspects. Enjoy...

http://www.buddhismtoday.com/index/index-e...1-beginners.htm
    i think it's great.........not many sites would offer information about buddhism in such a manner......is there any site regarding how to become a buddhist???....thanks anyway..
  • edited May 2006
    As a first time poster I felt safer posting in a thread full of information but not active. I know little about Buddhism and came looking for information. I got a lot of the information from this thread and am glad a sweet person referred to this site.

I also got a chuckle from the discussion on the meaning of words. As a past president once said, "it depends on what you mean by the word "is"".

It may be a little late to respond to rebel ninja, search for the word refuge in the sites you are reading. I think buddhism is a way of being rather than becoming.
  • edited May 2006
    """"Every man must have a religion especially one which appeals to the intellectual mind. A man failing to observe religious principles becomes a danger to society. While there is no doubt that scientists and psychologists have widened our intellectual horizon, they have not been able to tell us our purpose in life, something a proper religion can do. """"

i find this offensive - Every man must have a religion.. religion is a weakness through fear of death and holds little face value, its logic is completely flawed by any reason, to look at religion from a balanced view devoid of all previous perception and emotion makes its tragically obvious that it doesn't exist, granted most people are too ignorant to do so.

An intellectual mind or man has little to do with religion, and although it is true that someone without religion may be more susceptable in temptations, every man fights them and self control and improvement is natural not god given. Religion can give hope but only to those in dire need of it, (OLD PPL, PRISONERS) who will follow anything to lessen the pain of their pathetic lives, or add to something which needs re-assurance.

Its not concrete, as the introduction also says a lot of ppl follow religion blindly. I'd rather not follow one than be blindly following.

The fool who follows the fool is a bigger fool - I would hold this to the majority of the population, chav's, OAP's, students,kids, and so on, they are the biggest ones to fall to this as they have very low developed intelligence and individuality.

Our purpose in life cannot be answered by religion, its just what you want to hear, every single ideal and perception can only be decided for yourself not anyone else or you wouldnt understand it. Making your own decisions is the only way forward and hence no religion or 'God' can make the right decision for you, they are not your idea's and never will be.

ask me questions and i will answer them but don't insult me, or tell me the arguements i make are flawed, many of you are ignorant. Man is ignorant and id expect some fool following blindly to tell me im wrong rather than question himself
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I am not sure where your opening quotation comes from, Celebrin, but, like you, I would strongly object to the sentiments expressed. I do hope, therefore, that it was not something that I wrote.

Nevertheless, I think you go a little far in your rant.

You demand that we
    don't insult me, or tell me the arguements i make are flawed
    Whilst you will find general agreement here that to insult you would be unskillful to the point where Federika would get out her smacking hand, flawed argument is quite another thing!

edited May 2006
    Celebrin, it's a breath of fresh air if you are able to show us Buddhist discourse that makes us sit up and take notice... be it accurate and generally believed, or innaccurate and based on someone's personal opinion - and therefore not a universally accepted Truth....
    I too would be glad of a reference to your opening quotation.... So I thank you for that....
    just as a 'heads up', and to help you out here....We ask (and it's a general rule) that quotations be referenced....that way, we can all access the point in question and see it in its full context....
    if you would be so good.....

And Simon is quite right... open discussion and exchange is encouraged here, and fruitful discourse brings about greater understanding and spreads the Dharma....in whatever form.... We only ask that all posters be polite, civil, courteous, they avoid bad language and respect the dignity of all concerned - theirs included.

These are not "Buddhist" regulations, by any means... they fall under the title of "Do as you would be done by".....
  • edited May 2006
    Celebrin's quote is from http://www.buddhismtoday.com/index/index-eng1-beginners.htm

which is not from this site Celebrin

As a young man I knew everything and questioned everything. As an older man I decided I knew nothing and question everything.

I am a new reader of Buddhist thought. I beleive the scriptures say that this is not the only way you find an understanding of what is and from which one can develope a moral philosophy but one way.

We atheists have words to describe different types of atheism. So from one strong atheist to another:

I wish you peace
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I don't know what the hell you knobs are talking about.

Religion has done some FINE things for various societies...

Warring in Ireland (Protestants & Catholics)
    Various inquisitions.
    Crusades
    Atrocities committed by various religious missionaries.

Simon... I'm appalled. What turnip truck did you guys fall off of? :)

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    i always come across as angry or something, but honestly im not, and i see little that religion has done for us.. and yes the quote is from the beginners page, i thought it was obvious as it was the first post ..sorry bout that

take medicine for example, historians believe that in europe the church held back medical knowledge,new idea's ,dissection and new age thinking a.ka. the world is round, astronomy, and several other methods of surgery and so on.

We could have been much more advanced than we are now technology speaking. The church has done little than create war and rivalry, destruction and backward thinking, and that backward thinking is still everywhere around us.

Hatred,confusion, ignorance,racism all seem to me to be more religiously motivated than anything.

and federica, every single idea you have and every one you've heard of is an individual flawed perception only by questioning them can we get our own answers, not anyone else's. By logical approach and making sense can we pursuade others its the most obvious course, theres no 100% truth in anything , theres only what we see so i fail to see what you mean as theres no 100% truth in absolutely anything anywhere.

lol and simon, theres a lot of people who find my arguements so offensive that they decide to insult me rather than listen to what i have to say and contribute to it or question it, they simply find me flawed but offer no reason why and cannot offer any counter explanation to what i say except maybe to repeat the same question over and over and i answer and they ask it in a another context because i didnt make my explanation 100% word perfect.Most of these people are blind followers of religion who don't have any views of their own.
  • edited May 2006
    And www.buddhismtoday.com that that beginners page is from is not affiliated newbuddhist.com

I think if the words religion was substituted by philosophy or moral code may make his statements ring truer to me. But I do not think English is the authors native language so there is a problem in communication.

Maybe statements like the following is what make you come accross as being angry:

"many of you are ignorant"

"The fool who follows the fool is a bigger fool - I would hold this to the majority of the population"

"id expect some fool following blindly to tell me im wrong rather than question himself"

Kinda like Mr T saying "I pity the fool that ...."
    edited May 2006
    Celebrin wrote:

and federica, every single idea you have and every one you've heard of is an individual flawed perception only by questioning them can we get our own answers, not anyone else's. By logical approach and making sense can we pursuade others its the most obvious course, theres no 100% truth in anything , theres only what we see so i fail to see what you mean as theres no 100% truth in absolutely anything anywhere.

Of course there is.

Everything is transitory, nothing is impermanent.
    that is 100%truth.

What we see is perception...
    And perception is often deception.

But the above truth is inarguable.

I think you'll find..... ;)

Insofar as questioning is concerned, this was one of the Buddha's most important and well-known teachings...the Kalama Sutra urges everyone and anyone listening and learning, to examine everything learnt to its Nth degree - to scrutinise and persue and to question and dissect, to discover for ones self whether the lesson stands up to scrutiny.... And he placed his teachings first and foremost....
    And so far, I have not found them wanting....
  • edited May 2006
    What out for the characters on this site Celebrin ( not me of course)

They are sneaky and will smother you with compassion, acceptance and loving kindness if you give you a chance

well maybe not smother but it can be real suprising at times

I liked this web site for answers to what is buddhism http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/buddhism/buddhism.html