Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A quick education on Buddhism

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    My friend has asked me if I could post some good reading material for beginners in Buddhism. I have read over some 'beginners' guides to the Buddha's teachings which I thought may be helpful to those that want to know more about what the Buddha taught. They cover a wide range of subjects, and they do not get too 'complicated'. Of course, knowing me, they do have Pali words and quotes from the Tipitaka (Pali Canon of the Buddha's teachings). I feel that these are necessary though, since almost all we know of the Lord Buddha comes from these written sources. Please forgive me if they become a nuisance, but also remember that the Buddha spent his whole life pursuing these Truths and teaching them to the world. We should make an effort to not disregard these important resources. Of all the gems, the Dhamma is the brightest.

(Another note, these are from the Theravada tradition. If anyone has some good beginners guides dealing with Tibetan, Zen, or any other tradition please feel free to add them!)

General overview of the Buddha and his teachings:

The Path to Freedom - A Self-guided Tour of the Buddha's Teachings:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/index.html

Refuge - An Introduction to the Buddha, Dhamma, & Sangha by Thanissaro Bhikkhu:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/refuge.html

Study Guides:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/index.html

Meditation guides for beginners:

A Guided Meditation by Thanissaro Bhikkhu:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/guided.html

Starting Out Small - A Collection of Talks for Beginning Meditators by Phra Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/startsmall.html

An explanation of, and Q&A about, the Pali discourses:

Befriending the Suttas - Tips on Reading the Pali Discourses by John Bullitt:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bullitt/befriending.html

* I hope that this is what you were looking for :) *
  • edited August 2005
    Hello, I have been look around on different sites about Buddhism. Because, I want to convert to a different religion because Ihave turned away from Christianity. Well, I believe this one is more realistic.And, well i'm quiet confused about what i need to know to be a buddist(sp) . Because I read stuff about it but I have read stuff that was too complex for me to understand. i need some dumbing down. Well, i'll appreciate(sp) some help.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Hello Happy Tears, where are you from? What have you found out about Buddhism so far? The Dalai Lama says that the purpose of Life is to be Happy, and to make others Happy. His religion is Kindness. That's always been good enough for me. The Simple Life. And as I've said so many times before, 'simple' doesn't mean 'easy'.....
  • edited August 2005
    :) Thx sooooo much Elohim This next week coming up i'm gonna learn all I can about Buddhism from ure links :type: Very Very Helpful Man. :)
  • pobpob
    edited August 2005
    The web page for beginners is one of the best we have found, thanks for pointing it out.

pob
  • edited August 2005
    Another good site for beginners is Buddhist Answers at
    http://www.parami.org/buddhistanswers/
  • edited September 2005
    Matt, if you don't mind me asking you, how exactly did you feel when your realization of yourself (Bhudda) came about? What clicked in your mind that awoke your inner self? I am very interested on the beginning process in enlightenment and I would really appreciate a response from you. Thank you, and all of the blessings to your soul Matt.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Hya, Makelovenothate7!!
    If you look at the date of the post, it was way back in 2004, so Matt may not receive this immediately.... If you'd let me, I'll reply to your question from my point of view, and that's emphasis on My point of view..... :)

I was born, baptised and raised a Roman Catholic, but made a conscious decision to embrace Buddhism as the 'thing' for me about four years ago. "Conversion" to Buddhism is not strictly a religious thing, because Buddhism isn't a religion in the conventional sense of the word.... There is no fixed Deity or Being to worship.... Buddhism is a Guiding Light, a Path to which we all try to stick.... nevertheless, I "Took Refuge" on my own, in a home-made 'ceremony' and have been Buddhist since 2001. However, Buddhism has been very influential, without my knowing or realising it, for a much longer time. While I practised Catholicism all my life, there were aspects of it with which I disagreed, or frankly, stuck in my craw.... and every time I tried to 'argue the toss' with priests or nuns, they would inevitably fall back on how either (a) God Moves in Mysterious ways His wonders to perform, or (b) it was just God's Will.
    I didn't buy it....

'Taking Refuge' in Buddhism is the recitation of an intention to Follow the Buddha, the Dharma (his teachings) and the Sangha (the Community) in order to better your own life and that of others. This is an extremely simplistic and general description, and it is all obviously slightly more convoluted than that. Or not, depending on how you take it.
    There are the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path and the Five Precepts to consider. After that, any progress is up to you.

How's that for starters? :winkc:
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks for the wake up call federica, lol, it just slipped my awareness. Thanks to your knowledge of the basics, I have now started a journey to which I am promisingly enough willing to fall in love with. Thank you so much, merci beaucoup. Au voir.
    edited September 2005
    I follow the Simpleton's Route to Enlightenment; For 'deeper, more intellectual and detailed 'information, feel free to post your questions anyway.... Folks here will always contribute to the discussion, and never shove their own opinion - as being the right one - down your throat. As with all things Buddhist, the decision on which way to go, and how far, is always, ultimately, your Choice.
    This is what Buddhism boils down to: Personal Choice: Every living second of the day, you are faced with Choices... from "Do I wear the green socks my wife gave me for Christmas, or the blue ones, whic I prefer?" to "Shall I chase the guy who cut me up and spark him out with a left upper-cut, or just take a deep breath and let it go?"
    making all these choices requires Responsibility- for your self and others - and presence of Mind.....
    Off you go!! Good Luck!! :D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Over and over again we speak about focused attention. There is a very good reason for this, which is far from being 'religious' or 'spiritual' or 'mystical'. It is a truth that we all must have noticed:

Our energy goes where our attention goes!

Over some 35 years aas a psychotherapist and counsellor, I have become convinced that more can be learned by a person about themselves from the "attention style" than practically any other psychological indicator.

Buddhist practice puts our attention under our control rather than allowing it to wander at the whim of our habits.And, once we have taken back control of our attention, and, thus, of the direction of our energy, much that appeared impossible becomes probable.
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    Hold on, i just got on the buddist vibe and what is buddha? what does he stand for?
  • edited September 2005
    hello i need help with my meditation techniques, like what is the lotus position, the lion?
    edited September 2005
    i havent medited yet and how do u do it?
  • edited September 2005
    Simonthepilgrim I read your piece on attention & energy post#62 and it I can easily say it's the most amazing thing I have ever read in my short life of 14 years.
    edited September 2005
    I hope it made sense, Dave!

It is one of the real difficulties of adolescence that the physiological processes are so distracting. It has been my privilege to spend time with groups of young people (from 9 to 19), practising bringing attention under control through meditation and visualisation. The results for them seem to have been very rewarding and i know how rewarding it has been for me.

I spent some years studying the Enneagram which helped to give some shape to the work.
    edited September 2005
    Where?! What?! When?! How?! Why?! WhadImiss - ?!?

What thread???!!??
    edited September 2005
    I think he is referring to my post, higher up, #62 in this thread.
    edited September 2005
    .....OOoooooooh........THAT post.......Oh.....yeah, I knew that....... :o :tongue2:

Sorry Simon, I thought he was refering to another main Thread on Attention & Energy....
    Shoulda looked before I leapt...!!
  • edited September 2005
    sufferer wrote:
    hello i need help with my meditation techniques, like what is the lotus position, the lion?

Here is information and instructions on the lotus position:

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/488_1.cfm

If you have not done this position before, I highly recommend starting with a "half lotus" pose for a while until that is comfortable.
    edited September 2005
    thank u for all the info and i hope that u have more!!!!!
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited September 2005
    tycho wrote:
    I found this website while searching on the internet looking for information on the basics of buddhism. Each essay covers the basics and most provide a unique point of view to help those new the the religion to understand most of its aspects. Enjoy...

http://www.buddhismtoday.com/index/index-e...1-beginners.htm

Very Interesting material. Unfortunately, not able to finish them all.
    Thanks.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited September 2005
    tycho wrote:
    This doesn't really contain any new information, but I do like how it is presented in a plain-english humorous style.

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/buddhi...m/buddhism.html

It's short and sharp and sometimes funny.
    Thanks.
  • edited September 2005
    I spent a while going from buddhist site to site,
    Looking for a relatively simple guide to Buddhist Basics and then I found
    http://www.parami.org/buddhistanswers/index.htm

It's sooo simple but sooo effective I read the entire site, and from been a total noob, I know more Buddhist Basics than you can shake a stick at!!!
    edited September 2005
    Good site... written in large letters, full of pretty pictures.... Just what I asked for in my post in the intoduction thread!! Thanks Dude - !!:lol:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    A few sites I have found useful:

Here is a link to a variety of Sutras from the Mahayana tradition: Mahayana Buddhist Sutras

Here is a link to a variety of Suttas, books, and essays from the Theravada tradition: A Theravada Library

Here is a link to a site focusing on the Buddhism of Sri Lanka: Metta Net

Here is a link to a variety of teachings by Burmese monastics: The Dhamma

Here is a link to yet more Burmese teachings: eDhamma

Here is a link to a dictionary of Pali proper names: Pali Proper Names

Here is a link to a dictionary of Pali terms and doctrines: Pali Terms and Doctrines

Here is a link to another good site I found: Kalachakra Net

Here is a link to a gigantic collection of books, Suttas, and essays to read: Buddhasasana

Here is a link to another large collection of books, articles, essays, etc: Sacred Texts: Buddhism

Here is a link to some links of Dhamma talks available to listen to: Audio Dhamma talks

:)

Jason
  • edited November 2005
    This list is fantastic, Elohim!!! Many thanks!
    edited December 2005
    pob wrote:
    The web page for beginners is one of the best we have found, thanks for pointing it out.

pob

Hello Pob, and welcome! Sorry, missed you for some reason! Nice to have you with us!! :)
  • pobpob
    edited December 2005
    The site parami, is great it shows you the basics in laymens terms<as far as I am concerned>, I even went as far as I want to become a buddhist, information and the readings etc., if no monk is present read on your own and the words etc., and as it says you are now a buddhist<I dont think it takes anything special just believe>, the paths, enlightments etc., are good..keeps you out of trouble etc, logic and reason were used.

I certainly have this bookmarked to revisit and the pledges.

POB
  • edited January 2006
    Hello Everyone!
    I am new to the site, but have been doing a lot of reading and research on Buddhism.
    I am interested in learning more. I have already seen differences in my daily awareness and actions. One book I found to be a wonderful source was Lama Surya Das' Awaking the Buddha Within. Has anyone read it?
    edited January 2006
    Gosh, yes!! he's a favourite of mine, and he's mentioned in our recommended reading thread along with the following two books of his 'awakening' trilogy...

Welcome to our Sangha, hope you enjoy being with us! :)
    edited January 2006
    Hey there, SharpieGirl (*sings/croaks Georgy Girl*)

Good to meet you.
    edited January 2006
    Oooooh, Simon... are we showing our age?
    Who starred in the TV programme then, huh? HUH??
  • pobpob
    edited January 2006
    HELLO
    They have some very good courses<basic> on BUDDHISM at
    http://www.about.com they are free and e-mailed to you most are ten week courses, and we are taking two of them at this time.

pob;)
  • pobpob
    edited January 2006
    There is more good reading at the american buddhist church on the church manual, but I believe you have to belong to the organization, its 284 pages e-book which starts out on basics and into shall we say some heavier reading.

pob:smilec:
    edited January 2006
    Pob, perhaps you could place your last two posts in this thread as i think the links and info are quite interesting?

Thank you! :)
  • edited January 2006
    Thank you Federica and Simon for the welcome! I am still in the exploration stages of getting around the web site. Any suggestions on which thread(s) I should read under the Buddhism 101?
    edited January 2006
    I think the best thing to do is just to "lucky dip" and see what grabs you... Giving you a list of threads and posts sounds too much like "Do this 300-page thesis during your summer holidays..!!"
    have a browse through anything that grabs you, and always feel free to ask questions, again, and again, and again! Nobody will mind, and it's something we welcome! Don't ever feel you're imposing....

Enjoy yourself!! ;)
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks Federica!
  • edited January 2006
    You can check out http://www.dharmaweb.org site. It's really useful. Here is its description:

Dharmaweb.org is an online community for Buddhists worldwide, providing news, audio dharma, articles, books, practical advice, practice resources and more. Dharmaweb.org offers this site freely in hopes of helping Buddhists and other interested individuals around the world to find Dharma teachings and teachers, to help support Dharma centers in all traditions, to promote dialogue and communication, and to help build a vital and cooperative online Buddhist community.
  • edited January 2006
    Here is my "Bun & Run" view of Buddhism:

1) Gotama said all of life is suffering.

2) The more we attach to the antecedents of suffering the worse it gets.

3) By stopping such attachment, letting what we truly are become itself, we move towards liberation.

4) What we truly are has never been born nor will it die. It is naturally liberated. In the meantime we have to 'settle down'. :)
  • edited January 2006
    mujaku wrote:
    Here is my "Bun & Run" view of Buddhism:

1) Gotama said all of life is suffering.

This is a misunderstanding. What the Buddha said is that life has suffering, or more correctly - dissatisfaction, not that all life is suffering.
    2) The more we attach to the antecedents of suffering the worse it gets.

No, suffering is caused by craving rooted in the delusion of a separate self. It has nothing to do with antecedents.
    3) By stopping such attachment, letting what we truly are become itself, we move towards liberation.

Again this is not quite what the Buddha taught. Since we are what we truly are regardless, it is not a matter of anything becoming itself but of seeing things as they are, which in itself is liberation.
    4) What we truly are has never been born nor will it die. It is naturally liberated. In the meantime we have to 'settle down'. :)

Yes
  • edited January 2006
    Yes

Only because you aren't really. The ego is not a self centered something; it is self centered activity.
  • edited January 2006
    This is off the topic. Sorry! I have chosen to not receive email notifications about this thread but I keep receiving them. I figure if I make a reply that maybe my decision will be submitted. Sorry again, everyone!

Adiana
  • edited January 2006
    No, suffering is caused by craving rooted in the delusion of a separate self. It has nothing to do with antecedents.

Would you be so kind as to show me the passage this came from in the Buddhist canon? Have you ever read the Khandhasamyutta at S.iii.45? It says that what suffers is not the self (yam dukkham tad an-attâ).
  • edited January 2006
    Antecedent:

an·te·ce·dent

adj.
    Going before; preceding.

n.
    One that precedes another.

A preceding occurrence, cause, or event. See Synonyms at cause.
    antecedents The important events and occurrences in one's early life.
    antecedents One's ancestors.

- The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    edited January 2006
    And if it helps....

antecedent
    /antiseed’nt/

• noun 1 a thing that existed before or precedes another. 2 (antecedents) a person’s ancestors and social background. 3 Grammar an earlier word, phrase, or clause to which a following pronoun refers back.

• adjective preceding in time or order.

— ORIGIN from Latin antecedere ‘go before’.

Just to give the definition form the other side of the Pond...
    edited January 2006
    Of course, the original title of the thread was 'For those looking for a quick education on Buddhism'.

Nowhere in these posts have I read the simple yet fast recommendation -

'SIT.'

EDIT: Actually, yes I have. It is the final word in ZenMonk's signature.....
  • edited January 2006
    Would you be so kind as to show me the passage this came from in the Buddhist canon? Have you ever read the Khandhasamyutta at S.iii.45? It says that what suffers is not the self (yam dukkham tad an-attâ).

Actually, what it does say is that the self is not consciousness, which contradicts your own argument with regards to flesh and spirit and so forth that you put forward elsewhere. But thank you for suggesting a Sutta in which it is stated so clearly that consciousness is not self, as that illustrates the point perfectly.

"At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said, "Monks, whatever contemplatives or priests who assume in various ways when assuming a self, all assume the five clinging-aggregates, or a certain one of them. Which five? There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form (the body) to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form.

"He assumes feeling to be the self, or the self as possessing feeling, or feeling as in the self, or the self as in feeling.

"He assumes perception to be the self, or the self as possessing perception, or perception as in the self, or the self as in perception.

"He assumes (mental) fabrications to be the self, or the self as possessing fabrications, or fabrications as in the self, or the self as in fabrications.

"He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness.

"Thus, both this assumption & the understanding, 'I am,' occur to him. And so it is with reference to the understanding 'I am' that there is the appearance of the five faculties — eye, ear, nose, tongue, & body (the senses of vision, hearing, smell, taste, & touch).

"Now, there is the intellect, there are ideas (mental qualities), there is the property of ignorance. To an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person, touched by experience born of the contact of ignorance, there occur (the thoughts): 'I am,' 'I am thus,' 'I shall be,' 'I shall not be,' 'I shall be possessed of form,' 'I shall be formless,' 'I shall be percipient (conscious),' 'I shall be non-percipient,' or 'I shall be neither percipient nor non-percipient.'

"The five faculties, monks, continue as they were. And with regard to them the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones abandons ignorance and gives rise to clear knowing. Owing to the fading of ignorance and the arising of clear knowing, (the thoughts) — 'I am,' 'I am this,' 'I shall be,' 'I shall not be,' 'I shall be possessed of form,' 'I shall be formless,' 'I shall be percipient (conscious),' 'I shall be non-percipient,' and 'I shall be neither percipient nor non-percipient' — do not occur to him."

- Khandhasamyutta

And this, monks is the Truth of the Origin of Dukkha: the craving that makes for further becoming -- accompanied by passion and delight, relishing now here and now there -- i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming.

- Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

The Fourth Category of Ekacca Sassata Ditthi

49. In the fourth category (of ekacca sassata-ditthi) on what authority and on what basis do the respected samanas and brahmanas, holding the dualistic view of eternity and non-eternity, propound that atta as well as loka is in some cases eternal and in others not eternal?

Bhikkhus! in this world a certain samana or brahmana is given to logic and investigation. He uses various methods of reasoning, conducts investigations and gives his views, saying :

"This which is called eye, ear, nose, tongue and the physical body is the atta which is impermanent, unstable, not eternal and mutable. But this which is called mind, thought or consciousness, is the atta which is permanent, stable. eternal, immutable and as everlasting as things eternal."

- Brahmajala Sutta, Sutta on Incorrect Views

CASE 27 of the Gateless Gate

A monk asked Nansen, "Is there any teaching no master has ever preached before?"
    Nansen replied, "Yes, there is."
    "What is it?" asked the monk.
    Nansen answered, "It is not mind, it is not Buddha, it is not things."

CASE 34.

Nansen said, "Mind is not Buddha. Knowledge is not the Way."
  • edited January 2006
    Lets stick to the topic. Again what suffers is not the self. The cause of suffering is not about self.