Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Global Warming a Myth?

GuyCGuyC Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Today
Hi All,

I just finished watching a very thought provoking video on YouTube about global warming. The video is over 2 hours, but it is definitely worth watching all of it.

Could it be that the theory of man-made global warming is nothing but a hoax perpetrated for political purposes? Is Carbon Tax based on a lie?

I'd be interested to hear what others here think about this video.

Metta,

Guy

Comments

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Man Made Global Warming is not a Myth, it is clear that man has contributed to the rise in earths temperature. Now if your asking if global warming would happen without mans involvement then yes it would, the earth has warmed and cooled many times in its history due to phenomena such as the gas emission from volcano's, solar activity etc etc.

The difference is human activity is accelerating this process, moreover, we have the technology or at least the capability to develop the technology to actually stop this process and even reverse it.

here is a good overview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change
  • I thought I would highlight this from the wiki article I cited in my last post

"National and international science academies and scientific societies have assessed the current scientific opinion, in particular on recent global warming. These assessments have largely followed or endorsed the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) position of January 2001 which states:

An increasing body of observations gives a collective picture of a warming world and other changes in the climate system... There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities.[1]

No scientific body of national or international standing has maintained a dissenting opinion; the last was the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, which in 2007 updated its 1999 statement rejecting the likelihood of human influence on recent climate with its current non-committal position.[2][3]"

Its clear that the large majority of scientist believe man has contributed to global warming and indeed accelerated it, the only ones who do not I would hazard a guess are connected somehow to companies which have a vested interest in convincing people that man has not contributed to global warming (i.e oil companies etc etc).

So the only people trying to con or hoax the people of this world are the oil companies in my opinion.
    edited August 2011
    The lack of real progress on climate change should have the people of this world asking their politicians this question:

DOES THE WORLD RUN ON OIL ONLY BECAUSE OIL COMPANIES RUN THE WORLD?

not the question of "is man made global warming a hoax for governments to make more revenue in tax"

I think you will find the answer to my question a lot closer to the truth than the answer to your question.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >Could it be that the theory of man-made global warming is nothing but a hoax perpetrated for political purposes?

Yes, the idea that "man-made global warming is nothing but a hoax", is indeed a hoax perpetrated for political purposes. :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Seeker,
    >Could it be that the theory of man-made global warming is nothing but a hoax perpetrated for political purposes?

Yes, the idea that "man-made global warming is nothing but a hoax", is indeed a hoax perpetrated for political purposes. :)
    Did you watch the video before commenting?

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Hi Zidangus,
    The lack of real progress on climate change should have the people of this world asking their politicians this question:

DOES THE WORLD RUN ON OIL ONLY BECAUSE OIL COMPANIES RUN THE WORLD?

not the question of "is man made global warming a hoax for governments to make more revenue in tax"

I think you will find the answer to my question a lot closer to the truth than the answer to your question.

How can a question be "closer to the truth"? A question aims to uncover the truth, not to proclaim the truth.

I believe my question is just as worthy of investigation as yours is.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    So the only people trying to con or hoax the people of this world are the oil companies in my opinion.
    I wouldn't say they are the "only" people...but I admit, the oil companies do have their agendas.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    here is a good overview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change
    Thank you, I will definitely have a good look at this later and respond to it.
  • Yes, its a myth.
    Let's go out and buy the biggest SUV, we can find.
    Let's dig for oil in the national parks.
    Let's use plastic since its so cheap.
    It's all a myth...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think the question is not whether or not there is global warming, but to what degree man's influence is responsible. When I was a geology major back in the early 1970s, my professors all agreed we were in ANOTHER of the global warming periods, which had been going on since long before man had any influence on climate...an interglacial period. But then, you add man's activity on top of what was probably happening naturally, and you increase the trend.

Do I believe there is some degree of global warming? Yes. But do I believe that very man of the people who like to argue about it have any real knowledge themselves? No. They just parrot what others are saying.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Yes, its a myth.
    Let's go out and buy the biggest SUV, we can find.
    Let's dig for oil in the national parks.
    Let's use plastic since its so cheap.
    It's all a myth...
    Strawman

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Vinlyn,
    But do I believe that very [many] of the people who like to argue about it have any real knowledge themselves? No. They just parrot what others are saying.
    This is why I am trying to keep an open mind, get my facts together and make an informed opinion.

At this stage I am still open to the possibility that man-made global warming is a myth. Is anyone else on this forum open to this possibility? If not, why not? What evidence or data have people seen which makes them dismiss even the possibility that man-made global warming is a hoax?

Metta,

Guy
    Hi Vinlyn,
    But do I believe that very [many] of the people who like to argue about it have any real knowledge themselves? No. They just parrot what others are saying.
    This is why I am trying to keep an open mind, get my facts together and make an informed opinion.

At this stage I am still open to the possibility that man-made global warming is a myth. Is anyone else on this forum open to this possibility? If not, why not? What evidence or data have people seen which makes them dismiss even the possibility that man-made global warming is a hoax?

Metta,

Guy
    I think that scientific studies on the issue point to global warming, although there is some conflicting information, as well.

But, if we found out conclusively tomorrow that global warming is not occurring, I wouldn't call it a hoax. Science is not always neat and conclusive. Sometimes it's wrong.

I've been in the Canadian Rockies and seen how the alpine glaciers there are drastically retreating since I was there in the 1960s and again in the 1980s. No doubt about it. But is that conclusive? And how do we explain that there are some glaciers in some areas that are advancing?

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Hi All,

I appreciate all of the comments so far. It is getting late, but I do intend to respond to the comments in more depth tomorrow.

Before anyone else posts on this thread, I would like to kindly ask that people please watch the video before posting your comments.

Ideally, what I would like to hear are refutations of the data and arguments presented in the video.

Thanks + Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    The video seems more in tune with political activism than objective observation. I didn't watch the whole thing, but the information seems to point at a pointlessness of the present solutions proposed in policy, and does not seem to conclude (or intend to include) much else.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Just to clarify, I stopped it at the 30ish minute mark, during the debate, due to time constraints. What do you think of the information, Guy?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Hi Seeker,

Did you watch the video before commenting?

Metta,

Guy
    I've seen all the arguments, over and over and over for several years now, on both sides regarding this issue and I came to the above conclusion. But I'm sick of debating with people about it. :)

• The "NWO agenda" in the video title told me all I needed to know.
  • There is a really simple answer here:

As there is substantial scientific evidence to support that global warming is accelerated by man. Therefore, it cannot be a myth. Of course, there is always a possibility that theories on global warming may be disproved but this seems unlikely.

It is also important to note that Lord Monckton, who is prominent in the video, has a classics degree and he's not a scientist. I'd be interested to see how meta-analysis was taught on his degree course! He also appears to receive income from the World's largest oil company.

Just for the record, I am a scientist and a member of the UK Green Party
    edited August 2011
    Read the wiki article on Lord Monckton, especially his political views, would you listen to what this guy tells you ?

On aids --> "he argued that "there is only one way to stop AIDS. That is to screen the entire population regularly and to quarantine all carriers of the disease for life. Every member of the population should be blood-tested every month ... all those found to be infected with the virus, even if only as carriers, should be isolated compulsorily, immediately, and permanently." This would involve isolating between 1.5 and 3 million people in the United States ("not altogether impossible") and another 30,000 people in the UK ("not insuperably difficult"). Monckton's article concluded, however, that current Western sensibilities would not allow this standard protocol for containing a new, fatal and incurable infection to be applied: therefore, he said, many would needlessly die."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Monckton,_3rd_Viscount_Monckton_of_Brenchley#Climate_change

I know I would'nt :thumbdown:
    Zidangus, I think you make a very good point. I'm not going to listen or watch ALL the sources of information out there about global warming or any other topic. I'm going to focus on sources (be they people or "print" that I feel I can trust to begin with. Not that those trusted sources have to pre-agree with my viewpoint(s), but just that I have some faith in them.
  • GuyC,

I will not watch the video. If you just research a little bit you will find out sangstar is all about Ancient Aliens theory, Reptillian shape-shifters, The Illuminati and New World Order. He even has videos of Richard Hoagland who claims that there are tons of alien artifacts on the moon.

Based solely on all that mumbo-jumbo I will not spend two hours of my life watching it. Any "documentary" can be seen as holding THE TRUTH. Because of all the 2 hours you are watching it they are just showing you stuff that supports their view and many times even using incorrect and dubious facts.

So if I want a serious debate on Climate Change I will look at serious scholarly work. Not some dude on youtube.

edited August 2011
    Exactly @Ric, this is like the same type of rubbish that the Zeitgeist films ( or fantasies I call them) try to peddle out. Its quite east to make up qoutes and information and stories then say its true. Fortunately this rubbish is easily exposed when people actually can be bothered to check up whats being said.
    Anyone who has seen Zeitgeist should read the below article to see how inaccurate the information is, the whole series is a bigger fantasy than lord of the rings.

http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/articles/zeitgeist/part-one/
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited August 2011
    GuyC,

Asking others to watch a 2hr YouTube video is unreasonable.

Perhaps if you summarise the key points, preferably annotated with sources of evidence for any contentious points raised, then others could respond.

Namaste
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Zidangus,
    Read the wiki article on Lord Monckton, especially his political views, would you listen to what this guy tells you ?

I know I would'nt :thumbdown:
    I listen to everyone and judge each argument on its own merit. So what if you disagree with someone about one topic? Does that mean you should never listen to anything they have to say ever again? That seems a little close-minded to me.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Static,
    The "NWO agenda" in the video title told me all I needed to know.
    That seems a little close-minded to me.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Ric,
    GuyC,

I will not watch the video. If you just research a little bit you will find out sangstar is all about Ancient Aliens theory, Reptillian shape-shifters, The Illuminati and New World Order. He even has videos of Richard Hoagland who claims that there are tons of alien artifacts on the moon.

Based solely on all that mumbo-jumbo I will not spend two hours of my life watching it. Any "documentary" can be seen as holding THE TRUTH. Because of all the 2 hours you are watching it they are just showing you stuff that supports their view and many times even using incorrect and dubious facts.

So if I want a serious debate on Climate Change I will look at serious scholarly work. Not some dude on youtube.

I can assure you that there are no ancient alien theories or reptilian shape shifters in this video.

Will you watch it now?

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Daozen,
    Asking others to watch a 2hr YouTube video is unreasonable.
    Considering how important the subject of climate change appears to be to everyone on this planet (especially to those who will suffer the consequences of Carbon Tax or those who are told to cut their energy consumption by 80% or those people in the developing world who cannot afford renewable energy) I would have thought that watching a 2 hour video which shows the possibility that we have been lied to about the whole issue would be very reasonable. If we have been lied to, then we need to hold our politicians accountable.
    Perhaps if you summarise the key points, preferably annotated with sources of evidence for any contentious points raised, then others could respond.
    If you'll bear with me, I'll try my best.

Metta,

Guy

I listen to everyone
    Guy
    Do you really? You must have a lot of time on your hands.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Vinlyn,

I listen to everyone
    Guy
    Really? You are going to quote mine and turn it into an Ad Hominem attack? Why?

I listen to everyone who shows me respect.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Matt,
    The video seems more in tune with political activism than objective observation. I didn't watch the whole thing, but the information seems to point at a pointlessness of the present solutions proposed in policy, and does not seem to conclude (or intend to include) much else.
    First of all, thanks for taking the time to look at the video!

The first half of the video is a public debate, the second half of the video takes a look at the data and evidence which goes against the mainstream views of climate change.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Matt,
    Just to clarify, I stopped it at the 30ish minute mark, during the debate, due to time constraints. What do you think of the information, Guy?
    I think the entire video, taken as a whole, presents a compelling argument against the mainstream view. This is why I recommend that people, if they have the time, should watch the entire 2 hours.

Metta,

Guy
  • @GuyC

You missed my point.

Why dont you tell us what was the ONE main point or factor that really discredits the mainstream view.
    Hi Vinlyn,

I listen to everyone
    Guy
    Really? You are going to quote mine and turn it into an Ad Hominem attack? Why?

I listen to everyone who shows me respect.

Metta,

Guy
    I'm not attacking you. I simply don't believe you listen to everyone who speaks about global warming. I cannot believe that you aren't selective in choosing who you listen to.

Look, I'm a middle of the road Democrat. I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh and his ilk. But that doesn't mean I don't selectively listen to some conservative commentators...for example, George Will, and others. I may be retired now, but I don't have time to listen to every conservative or every liberal commentator. I select those on each side of the aisle whom I feel are responsible.

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Vinlyn,
    I'm not attacking you. I simply don't believe you listen to everyone who speaks about global warming. I cannot believe that you aren't selective in choosing who you listen to.
    I hardly ever watch TV or read a newspaper, yet I have a pretty good idea about current events because mainstream views comes looking for me even if I don't look for it. I make an effort to listen to those who speak against mainstream views because no effort needs to be made to hear what the mainstream views are.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Hi Ric,
    @GuyC

You missed my point.

Why dont you tell us what was the ONE main point or factor that really discredits the mainstream view.
    One point which is central to the entire "man-made global warming" theory is that CO2 causes temperature increases.

There does appear to be a correlation between CO2 levels in the atmosphere and average temperatures, but correlation does not necessarily imply causation. Furthermore, it appears that it is the CO2 which follows the temperature increases (with a lag of about 8 months), not the other way around!

One theory is that as the planet heats up, more carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere from the ocean.

Metta,

Guy
  • Well I made it to 13min. Its all about how Australia's PM plan to reduce carbon emission sucks....nothing at all about science.At one point im watching two dudes go on and on and I have no clue who the hell they are.

It seems like this movie is Scientist free.
  • @GuyC

Ok, can you link to the scientific study that you get "Furthermore, it appears that it is the CO2 which follows the temperature increases (with a lag of about 8 months), not the other way around!"

Im willing to do the research...
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Ric,
    Well I made it to 13min. Its all about how Australia's PM plan to reduce carbon emission sucks....nothing at all about science.At one point im watching two dudes go on and on and I have no clue who the hell they are.

It seems like this movie is Scientist free.
    There are scientists in the second half of the video.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Ric,
    @GuyC

Ok, can you link to the scientific study that you get "Furthermore, it appears that it is the CO2 which follows the temperature increases (with a lag of about 8 months), not the other way around!"

Im willing to do the research...
    Please fast forward to 1hr:31mins.

My mistake...it is not 8 months, it is 800 years (which is even more significant!)...I knew it was 8-some-measure-of-time...I should have checked my facts first! However, despite my blunder, the principle remains the same.

Thank you for keeping me honest. :)

Metta,

Guy
  • Hi Static,
    The "NWO agenda" in the video title told me all I needed to know.
    That seems a little close-minded to me.

Metta,

Guy
    The supposed New World Order is up there in the realm of fairy tale. It's pure paranoid speculation with no shred of evidence and it's perpetuated by crafty bulls*** artists like Alex Jones who make out like bandits by pushing this crap on the the gullible and easily mislead. I have absolutely no reason to take anything that includes this stuff in their claims seriously.

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Hi Static,
    The supposed New World Order is up there in the realm of fairy tale. It's pure paranoid speculation with no shred of evidence and it's perpetuated by crafty bulls*** artists like Alex Jones who make out like bandits by pushing this crap on the the gullible and easily mislead. I have absolutely no reason to take anything that includes this stuff in their claims seriously.
    If you can suspend your prejudices for a little while and actually bother to look with an open mind, there is actually quite a lot of evidence that there are those who are trying to create a one world government with themselves as the rulers.

Regardless of what you might think of Alex Jones, perhaps you view some of the following people as more credible:

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."

- Woodrow Wilson

Here is one of the conspirators admitting his guilt:

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."

- John D Rockefeller

How is this "pure paranoid speculation"?

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyC,

If, like me, you are not actually a climate scientist, then you have a choice.

You can believe the overwhelming majority of the world's climate scientists, who have looked at all the evidence and facts, and are saying that current climate change is almost certainly a man-made phenomenon caused by increasing greenhouse gas emissions. That's what I've chosen to do.

Or, you can go with the inevitable group of people who disagree. If you decide to take this path, good luck to you.

I have seen a number of televised debates on the issue, and in all cases, the climate scientists were far more convincing than the sceptics.

Namaste
    Hi Static,

If you can suspend your prejudices for a little while and actually bother to look with an open mind...
    Why is it that when someone else has a belief it's a "prejudice", but when you have a different belief it's through an open mind?

• One point which is central to the entire "man-made global warming" theory is that CO2 causes temperature increases.
    In the early era of 18-19 centuries where there were a lot of trees around that profusely produced CO2, it should be warmer as compared to 21 century. Why is that not so then?

• In the early era of 18-19 centuries where there were a lot of trees around that profusely produced CO2, it should be warmer as compared to 21 century. Why is that not so then?
    Huh? Trees ABSORB CO2, they don't produce it. That's one reason deforestation is not good.

• In the day or night? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_trees_give_off_Carbon_Dioxide
    Combined day & night. Your link supports this.

• You ought to reform the cluster structure of the water molecules for cool well beings.
    http://www.theintentionexperiment.com/the-purifying-effect-of-love-the-lake-biwa-intention-experiment-part-2.htm

“Ananda, fire, which has no nature of its own, depends upon various causes and conditions for its existence. Consider a family in the city that has not yet eaten. When they wish to prepare food, they hold up a speculum to the sun, seeking fire. “Ananda, let us look into your suggestion that the fire comes forth from mixing and uniting. By way of example, you and I and the twelve hundred and fifty bhikshus unite together to form a community. However, a careful analysis of the community reveals that every member composing it has his own body, birthplace, clan, and name. For instance, Shariputra is a Brahman, Uruvilva is of the Kashyapa clan, and you,
    Ananda, come from the Gautama family. “Ananda, suppose fire existed because of mixing and uniting. When the hand holds up the speculum to the sun to seek fire, does the fire come out of the speculum? Does it come out of the moxa tinder? Or does it come from the sun? “Suppose, Ananda, that it came from the sun. Not only would it burn the moxa tinder in your hand, but as it came across the groves of trees, it should burn them up as well.
    “Suppose that it came from the speculum. Since it came out from within the speculum to ignite the moxa tinder, why doesn’t the speculum melt? Yet your hand that holds it feels no heat; how, then, could the speculum melt? “Suppose that the fire came from the moxa tinder. Then why is fire generated only when the bright mirror comes into contact with the dazzling light? “Furthermore, on closer examination you will find the speculum held in hands, the sun high up in the sky, and moxa grown from the ground. Where does the fire come from? How can it travel some distance to reach here? “The sun and the speculum cannot mix and unite, since they are far apart from each other. Nor can it be that the fire exists spontaneously, without an origin. “You simply do not know that in the Treasury of the Thus Come One the nature of fire is true emptiness, and the nature of emptiness is true fire. Pure at its origin, it pervades the Dharma Realm. It accords with living beings’ minds, in response to their capacity to know. “Ananda, you should know that fire is generated in the place where a speculum is held up to the sunlight, and fire will be generated everywhere if specula are held up to the sunlight throughout the Dharma Realm. Since fire can come forth throughout the whole world, can there be any fixed place to which it is confined?
  • edited August 2011
    How much CO2 does living beings and non living beings gives off CO2 together?

You ought to reform the cluster structure of the water molecules for cool well beings.
    http://www.theintentionexperiment.com/the-purifying-effect-of-love-the-lake-biwa-intention-experiment-part-2.htm

“Ananda, fire, which has no nature of its own, depends upon various causes and conditions for its existence. Consider a family in the city that has not yet eaten. When they wish to prepare food, they hold up a speculum to the sun, seeking fire. “Ananda, let us look into your suggestion that the fire comes forth from mixing and uniting. By way of example, you and I and the twelve hundred and fifty bhikshus unite together to form a community. However, a careful analysis of the community reveals that every member composing it has his own body, birthplace, clan, and name. For instance, Shariputra is a Brahman, Uruvilva is of the Kashyapa clan, and you,
    Ananda, come from the Gautama family. “Ananda, suppose fire existed because of mixing and uniting. When the hand holds up the speculum to the sun to seek fire, does the fire come out of the speculum? Does it come out of the moxa tinder? Or does it come from the sun? “Suppose, Ananda, that it came from the sun. Not only would it burn the moxa tinder in your hand, but as it came across the groves of trees, it should burn them up as well.
    “Suppose that it came from the speculum. Since it came out from within the speculum to ignite the moxa tinder, why doesn’t the speculum melt? Yet your hand that holds it feels no heat; how, then, could the speculum melt? “Suppose that the fire came from the moxa tinder. Then why is fire generated only when the bright mirror comes into contact with the dazzling light? “Furthermore, on closer examination you will find the speculum held in hands, the sun high up in the sky, and moxa grown from the ground. Where does the fire come from? How can it travel some distance to reach here? “The sun and the speculum cannot mix and unite, since they are far apart from each other. Nor can it be that the fire exists spontaneously, without an origin. “You simply do not know that in the Treasury of the Thus Come One the nature of fire is true emptiness, and the nature of emptiness is true fire. Pure at its origin, it pervades the Dharma Realm. It accords with living beings’ minds, in response to their capacity to know. “Ananda, you should know that fire is generated in the place where a speculum is held up to the sunlight, and fire will be generated everywhere if specula are held up to the sunlight throughout the Dharma Realm. Since fire can come forth throughout the whole world, can there be any fixed place to which it is confined?