Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tripping

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited October 2011 in General Banter
Although looking back on things, my own neurosis and fears often times left a damper on some of the psychedelic experiences I used to have, I do feel that there is a strong correlation between the types of insight gained while under the influence and my current interest in Buddhist metaphysics and philosophy.

Then again, maybe my natural inclinations and views were simply expanded upon while tripping. I remember coming up with certain concepts and ideas when I was a child that resonate in my studies today. Perhaps with the "doors of perception" open, my mind worked like a magnifying glass, illuminating the nature of reality based on insights I had already gained in my youth.

It's hard to tell. I do know that I don't regret tripping, and if the opportunity arose to trip with my dad and other members of my family and friends, I don't think I would turn it down. Has anyone else had a similar feeling toward these kind of experiences?

Comments

• The reality is that psychedelics seem to have great potential, but there is no real blueprint or roadmap for using them correctly. There have been plenty of trailblazers, but most of them have gone off the deep end or faced otherwise ignoble fates, so there seems to be little reason to follow in their footsteps.

It's a dangerous path because of the raw psychological violence of the hallucinogenic experience, the uncertainty of the effects, the wide array of different substances, etc. You plunge yourself into this jarring, alien experience, but you really have no context in which to properly interpret these experiences. I don't regret my own experimentation either, but looking back, I can see how horribly unprepared I was. If psychedelics were ever seriously incorporated into some sort of path, as much care, oversight, and analysis would be needed as in something like the higher Tantric practices.
  • What did you learn about buddhism or spirituality while tripping? :)
  • I didn't learn anything about Buddhism or spirituality while tripping. Tripping motivated me to study more about Buddhism and spirituality. Like I said, none of the ideas I had were anything particularly new, regarding interdependence and meditative focus and even cittamatra. It was more like my state of mind allowed me to view these concepts from a new angle that allowed me to both step back from their reification while also validating their truth. Or maybe I was just high. /shrug

I'm outta work now. Look forward to seeing more comments tomorrow. Laterz :)
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2011
    There is definitely something spiritual about tryptamine based hallucinogens (and possibly all of them); but, like you said, they must be used with the right mindset and setting. These substances should be approached with respect and openness, just like a teacher. They can be brutal teachers, and if you aren't ready, you can experience anxiety, depression, etc.

I have experienced things like ego loss and what I would call a complete acceptance of life. Basically, I have experienced things of which I don't have a conceptual understanding.
  • edited August 2011
    Tripping is totally opposite to purifying the mind. You just get attached to wanting "see amazing new perspectives". It seems to be common that many people start to get interested in spirituality after they've used psychadelics, buttt, like many things, once you've get past a certain point, you've got to drop it! Drugs got you onto the path, but to keep it up it's going to be a hinderance.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2011
    There is also a cultural aspect to drugs that is important, as many indigenous cultures have used these plants/substances to explore the interior without the negative connotations that more "advanced" cultures give them.

Personally, I don't know if they match up with buddhist states of concentration; but, I have read accounts of advanced meditation practitioners being able to take large amounts of acid and know exactly where it took them. All I know is that I have experienced things of which I don't have a conceptual understanding, and it was an important factor in driving me toward buddhism. My drive is not for the ability to get high without substances, but as a result of the immense truth that I felt (sorry I am sure that is not an apt description, but that is the best I can do with words).

EDIT: @NOTaGangsta you are right. Once finding the path with the drugs, you must drop them. Just like dropping the raft after crossing the river.
  • @tmottes

"Dropping the raft after crossing the river." I like that quote. ;D
  • @tmottes

"Dropping the raft after crossing the river." I like that quote. ;D
  • They can be brutal teachers, and if you aren't ready, you can experience anxiety, depression, etc.
    Just read this bit homes! Pretty much describes my one and only (never took dat sheet again!) bad mescaline trip! Attacked my ego and my identity full on, although I developed wrong views at the time cause I am with the "music crowd".
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Tripping is totally opposite to purifying the mind.
    :)
    lobster
  • i used to trip all the time. it is what brought me to spirituality.
    i don't trip much often anymore because i now only have bad trips.
    it seems all the negativity comes outwards when i trip. once you have that door open there is no way to really shut it.
    but i did learn a lot of valuable things from tripping. there is just no more stuff to learn, thus i moved on.

i've had an infinite variety of different experiences while tripping. coming into contact with the clear white light. feeling the various chakra centers. leaving my body and moving upwards to the crown. flowing into a tunnel within my third eye then down my spinal cord and then my eyes flying open revealing that all there is, is right in front of me. having consciousness expand infinitely outwards and inwards. seeing the indra's net and beads of rainbow/iridescent jewels in everything. all my friends turning into demonic creatures and scaring the shit out of me.

things i learned: you're not going anywhere, there is just this. there is no subject or object. nothing lasts everything is constantly in flux. everything is about mind and what we project. also tripping is not the answer. it only reveals what is most apparent. what you access while tripping can be accessed whenever you want. tripping is not entertainment, it is throwing yourself onto a rocket that flies wherever the hell it wants to. there is no control, you will learn what you need to.

btw drugs are terrible for you physically and mentally. not only can you fuck your mind up, you can really and truly harm those around you. make sure you have good intentions and great set/setting if you do anything. a controlled environment with no variables for a bad trip is highly recommended. take care people. also meditation trumps tripping any day.
  • @taiyaki I would include that if you chose to trip, you should preferably have a "designated driver." A person who has done the same drug in the past, but is going to be sober throughout the current trip. This is just in case anybody needs a sober mind that has been there before. A trusted and experienced "designated driver" can help you navigate a "bad" trip.
  • yeah a trip sitter is god sent. you do not want to trip with people who aren't tripping or people who don't know what it is like to trip. be around people you trust and feel a connection with. be in a nice environment and don't travel around a lot.

also it's good to have xanax ready if you're having a bad trip. as this will totally get rid of your trip altogether.

when in doubt stop and sit. breath in and out. turn off your mind and go with the flow.

the best conditions is to be with a shaman in a tribal setting. these people know and have the maps that these "drugs" enforce on you.

• Frankly speaking I really gotta question what valuable insights can be gleaned while under the influence of mind-altering substances.

(This coming from someone who's done his share of drugs.)
    lobster
  • everything you ingest alters the mind.

it is what you make it.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I find the best way to deal with tripping is to place the heel down first and fully move the weight onto the new foot (hip-over-heel) with each step. With regular practice that should end your tripping days. :)
    lobster
  • everything you ingest alters the mind.

it is what you make it.
    Maybe, but how many make you see and hear shit that isn't there?
  • Yeah. The experience was just witnessing rapidly switching pictures, numbers, and faces from the trails on the screen of the mind with eyes closed, together with the feeling of euphoria. The influences were just too fluffy to be adduced with honesty. That is all that can be said aft such a thing. It was never appealing since.
  • Then again, maybe my natural inclinations and views were simply expanded upon while tripping.
    I personally side with the view below :mullet:
  • http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-life/

worth a read. it's worth tripping once or twice in your life.
    then get on with it. move on or you're just abusing it.

anyways wish you all the best folks!
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    it's worth tripping once or twice in your life
    definitely not

for minds with tendencies towards mental instability, tripping is dangerous

tripping has probably sent more people to psychiatric institutions than to enlightenment

whatever underlying tendencies there are, tripping will enhance them

take care

:skeptic:
    edited August 2011
    http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-life/
    On my first trip to Nepal, I took a rowboat out on Phewa Lake in Pokhara, which offers a stunning view of the Annapurna range. It was early morning, and I was alone. As the sun rose over the water, I ingested 400 micrograms of LSD. I was 20 years old and had taken the drug at least ten times previously. What could go wrong?

Everything, as it turns out. Well, not everything—I didn’t drown. And I have a vague memory of drifting ashore and of being surrounded by a group of Nepali soldiers. After watching me for a while, as I ogled them over the gunwale like a lunatic, they seemed on the verge of deciding what to do with me. Some polite words of Esperanto, and a few, mad oar strokes, and I was off shore and into oblivion. So I suppose that could have ended differently.

But soon there was no lake or mountains or boat—and if I had fallen into the water I am pretty sure there would have been no one to swim. For the next several hours my mind became the perfect instrument of self-torture. All that remained was a continuous shattering and terror for which I have no words.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    lol

on my first trip to Nepal, I took a rowboat out on Phewa Lake in Pokhara

although i had not taken drugs for two years, in the prior four months i did my first ever meditation, intensively, and obtained very satisfying results

i had just turned 24 and my younger sister just turned 18. my younger sister was quite inexperienced & innocent, compared to myself at her age

at Pokhara we went to a cafe on the lake and were offered a ganja pancake. now, ingesting ganja (via pancake, cookie, etc) can be far more effective for those for which smoking just makes them drousy

so i asked my sister did she wish to try and, with my strong encouragement, she agreed

we then rowed across Phewa Lake, got to the other side, and had a swim on a beach

then i suddenly saw the drug coming on to my sister. she had a euphoric smile for a few moments and then her face literally turned pale; yellow green

suddenly this stuff hit me also and i was the most powerful substance i have ever experienced, by far

fortunately, i could always control my mind under the influence. for example, at university, i would attend discussions & presentations we had to give to visiting businesspeople - or dinner with my girlfriends parents - very stoned (with the eyedrops) and no one ever knew

so i rowed back across the lake, with my sister completely wiped out & spinning out

when we got back to the shore, she was worse. i thought she was going to die

after struggling to find any help with backpackers, i returned to the cafe and advised what happened. the cafe owner made a concoction out of lemon juice and my sister drunk it, which caused her to vomit up the pancake. she then fell soundly asleep, which satisfied me.

i then drank some myself, vomitted and had a short sleep

i was only when i returned to Australia the next year, that i got over believing drugs could help spiritual life, after seeing my zombie friends still zombied out, having no interest in what i found through Buddhism

as for my sister, she has never taken a drug again in her life

in hindsight, she does not have the personality for drugs. they could only harm her if she took an interest

regards :)

• I think it is important to distinguish the type of drug used, the care taken when cultivating it, and the dosage taken. Has anybody ever taken DMT? If so, I would love to hear your experience(s).
  • it's worth tripping once or twice in your life
    definitely not

for minds with tendencies towards mental instability, tripping is dangerous

tripping has probably sent more people to psychiatric institutions than to enlightenment

whatever underlying tendencies there are, tripping will enhance them

take care

:skeptic:
    When I was a student I knew someone who wrecked a house and chopped off a cat's head while tripping - and also someone else who had bad experiences and shrieked 'Death, death' all the time.

At least 3 people I used to know ended up like zombies in psychaitric intitutions as a result of drugs.

• When you are young and emotionally immature your brain is still developing. I believe this is an important consideration before deciding to use a drug. My real concern and regret, personally, is the fact that's I've wasted so much time, but I can't just blame the drugs, they were just a way to avoid the emotional difficulties I was facing as a young person.

That said, people take all kinds calculated risks everyday. There are much riskier ventures in life, but it's a total lack of knowledge that creates the danger. Scare stories will not make people less likely to make stupid decisions.

Particular cultures are more prone to 'abusing' drugs, then being registered insane by an unsympathetic establishment.

• Probably, you can make lots of progress without drugs. So it seems unwise to me to be impatient and try a short-cut by taking them, because you may well end up worse off instead of better off. Maybe there are exceptions, if you are already an advanced meditator, and you have confidence that in your situation its skillful to take them, but that doesn't apply to most people. For beginners (like me), it seems much better to work at the basis: good intentions, a calm mind, some discipline, the precepts, etc.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2011
    When I was a student I knew someone who wrecked a house and chopped off a cat's head while tripping - and also someone else who had bad experiences and shrieked 'Death, death' all the time.

At least 3 people I used to know ended up like zombies in psychaitric intitutions as a result of drugs.
    Drugs are different and they effect people differently. I would say that everybody would be best to avoid drugs like crack, cocaine, heroin, and prescription drugs used recreationally. Eating mushrooms, smoking a leave, and other ethnobotanicals are much safer and have tremendously more value. So it is very important that a distinction is made about the type of drug being used.

People who do stupid things take the wrong drugs, mix drugs, don't prepare properly or weren't ready for the experience. You wouldn't skydive without having your parachute properly packed and inspected, right? Fasting and meditation over a 24 hour period prior to taking mushrooms is a must for me. This clears my mind and helps me be completely open for my experience. If you aren't completely open, you may fight against your experience which only brings about a "bad" trip. The whole experience is a humbling lesson and I wish I could share it with those who have such negative views on mushrooms. The drug path isn't for everybody and it must be shed to continue the path. I think they are tools, it is all about wisdom and intention.
  • When I was a student I knew someone who wrecked a house and chopped off a cat's head while tripping - and also someone else who had bad experiences and shrieked 'Death, death' all the time.

Drugs are different and they effect people differently. I would say that everybody would be best to avoid drugs like crack, cocaine, heroin, and prescription drugs used recreationally. Eating mushrooms, smoking a leave, and other ethnobotanicals are much safer and have tremendously more value. So it is very important that a distinction is made about the type of drug being used.

People who do stupid things take the wrong drugs, mix drugs, don't prepare properly or weren't ready for the experience. You wouldn't skydive without having your parachute properly packed and inspected, right? Fasting and meditation over a 24 hour period prior to taking mushrooms is a must for me. This clears my mind and helps me be completely open for my experience. If you aren't completely open, you may fight against your experience which only brings about a "bad" trip. The whole experience is a humbling lesson and I wish I could share it with those who have such negative views on mushrooms. The drug path isn't for everybody and it must be shed to continue the path. I think they are tools, it is all about wisdom and intention.
    If you are a practising Buddhist it is a grave mistake to suggest that drugs which get you high or cause hallucinations are safe and valuable. They will not benefit practice and will take you down a very mistaken path, whatever your imaginings to the contrary.

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I've had a couple beautiful experiences.

Don't remember them much.. at all!

Much much better was meditation everyday. I will say though my first time taking mushrooms was amazing and it was after the first time having many very successful meditations. However substances I believe played a part in ending my daily meditation practice and any freedom from negative mental states.

In the past week I've turned down friends offering me cocaine twice, to buy mushrooms, weed, drink alchohol, buy ecstacy.

I don't really think it's helping my 'friends' very much.

I don't like the idea of taking a drug and trying to have a good time. Which is how the people I surround myself do it. Like what if you don't? It's awkward haha ?

I'll just say if you must, trip responsibly.
  • i used to trip all the time. it is what brought me to spirituality.

things i learned: you're not going anywhere, there is just this. there is no subject or object. nothing lasts everything is constantly in flux. everything is about mind and what we project. also tripping is not the answer. it only reveals what is most apparent. what you access while tripping can be accessed whenever you want. tripping is not entertainment, it is throwing yourself onto a rocket that flies wherever the hell it wants to. there is no control, you will learn what you need to.

I think that's a good summary.

I have a lot of experience with both hallucinogens and a lot of other drugs. While sometimes there was a steep price tag involved, both figuratively and literally, I don't really regret any of it.

I confess that I'm a little bit annoyed by what I perceive as the tendency to sneer at the utility of 'mind altering substances'. I agree with everyone here who has expressed the understanding that these substances have no inherent long term value and that they don't point in any particular direction. I also agree that they probably produce a net result of more suffering than 'enlightenment'.

Even so, this is the Kali Yuga, and it's important not to underestimate the withering power of the nihilistic, materialistic worldview that we are inculcated with in this culture. It builds up into a kind of crusty scab that tends to preclude any pursuit of pursuit of 'spiritual' realization, Buddhist or otherwise. Sometimes this crust becomes so thick and hard that the hammer-blow violence of an intense psychedelic experience is required to create a breach in it.

Is such psychological violence dangerous? Of course it is, and there's no guarantee that anything will be achieved. And sometimes, even when the breach is achieved, nothing worthwhile is done with it and it becomes a source of continuous psychic trauma. I've seen a lot of this... people whose certainty in the stability of conventional experience is stripped away, and replaced by nothing. In my case, however, I have no doubt that my early experimentation with various substances was an important component of my development. Frankly, I suspect that it took some of the edge out of my arrogance and casual narcissism.

Things I learned during drug induced experiences: the totally fragmentary nature of my ego and identity; an intuitive grasp of the first noble truth; absolute undiluted love for my family and friends; an abiding sense of the mind-blowing mysteriousness of 'being', which I will never lose.

No doubt I would have come to understand these things without the aid of drugs. However, the intensity and clarity of these experiences made it hard to brush off the lessons learnt. The psychedelic experience is unpredictable and potentially damaging, but there is a place for it in this world.
  • There is of course the point that for lay Buddhists who follow the 5 precepts that hallucinegenics of all kinds,cannabis, and recreational drugs in general,all come under the same label together with alcohol as intoxicants. Ask a teacher from any recognised Buddhist tradition about it and they will tell you that.
  • edited August 2011
    Wilderness canoe trips are what I take to gain insight.
  • Quote from referenced article -

"Ingesting a powerful dose of a psychedelic drug is like strapping oneself to a rocket without a guidance system."

Setting helps, but whatever is present in your mind at the time is going to be magnified. It may manifest as blissful clarity and connection or paranoid psychosis.

I did a lot of acid in my youth (late teens, early 20's). Long time ago. Don't regret it at all. It was the highest of highs (beyond description) and the scariest of lows (beyond description.) But after all is said and done, it is just like any experience. You take from it what is of value, and then let it go and move on.

Best Wishes
    edited August 2011
    Eating mushrooms, smoking a leave, and other ethnobotanicals are much safer and have tremendously more value. So it is very important that a distinction is made about the type of drug being used.
    as i previously suggested, the distinction is in the user and not in the drug

please take care :skeptic:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Drugs are extremely destructive to your physical body and they can leave emotional psychic wounds that can leave permanent scars. They do not aid you in usefully discovering the truth in the least. I'm amazed that I even survived my experimentation with that poison. My advice to you: don't bother. The only lasting value in the acid experience was that acid wasn't going to live up to history - of bad thinking habits that can be altered in one night high on LSD continues to be talked about seriously by people who really ought to know better. In Zig zag Zen, Terrance McKenna even comes out with the comically ridiculous question "How can you be a serious Buddhist if you're not doing psychedelics?" This kind of thing is a lot like eloquent discourse on tantric sex, from guys who really only want to get their rocks off more often and better."

"If you want to get fried off your ass, at least have the decency to admit it. Don't try to convince us you are on some grand spiritual quest. Drugs won't show you the truth. Drugs will only show you what it's like to be on drugs."
    ~Brad Warner, Hardcore Zen

Very succinct and to the point, as he always is. :lol:
    lobster
  • auraaura Veteran
    It amazes me that anyone anywhere (particularly anyone claiming to be Buddhist) would ever economically support or advocate in the name of personal "spiritual growth" an industry that miserably enslaves and dehumanizes human beings worldwide.
  • I think in general it is responsible not to purposefully encourage people to do drugs. But when people claim they have found their spiritual path because of a drug, we can believe them. As with most everything in life, drugs can be both good and bad - helpful or dangerous. In a strict Buddhist sense, taking drugs is not considered skillful. And how we treat people who do drugs to find their spiritual path should probably be on par with how we treat people when they do unskillful things in general: by being kind, understanding, and not trying to force views on them.
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited August 2011

Even so, this is the Kali Yuga, and it's important not to underestimate the withering power of the nihilistic, materialistic worldview that we are inculcated with in this culture. It builds up into a kind of crusty scab that tends to preclude any pursuit of pursuit of 'spiritual' realization, Buddhist or otherwise. Sometimes this crust becomes so thick and hard that the hammer-blow violence of an intense psychedelic experience is required to create a breach in it.
    If one wishes to remove one's own (or anyone else's) cushy materialistic worldview,one simply removes all of one's cushy materialistic comforts and surroundings. Stoning oneself off one's ass like a big spoiled brat of a nihilistic materialistic whining baby in the middle of one's cushy materialistic surroundings only makes one less of a big spoiled brat of a nihilistic materialistic whining baby in one's own deluded imagination.
    The Buddha certainly had both the option and the wealth to engage in such behavior as much as he pleased, but neither embraced nor advocated such behavior in the least.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2011
    i used to be more on the fence with drugs, but lately, i've just become quite disgusted. my cousin is a hippie sort and i have had long conversations with her many times about the use of drugs for enlightenment. she believes, like many others, that they can help her to glimpse a world that she cannot find without. she thinks that they appropriately put her into the mindstate where she can see clearly that everything is one (especially DMT). obviously, i disagree with this. she recently went on a road trip across the US that ended in her parents having to come rescue her because she ended up stuck and strung out (after several attempts to send her money or tickets, which she used for drugs). she's in rehab now and last i heard, they suspected it was meth that she eventually got hooked on.

i think there may be something dangerous about a mind that is constantly looking outside itself toward drugs for clarity and relief in this world. i don't think you'll ever find it with drugs and the search itself might just lead you further and further away from what you thought you were looking for. so many people close to me have formed serious addictions to drugs (heroin, especially) and they always seem to think, "i am bigger than this." but they soon find out that they are not. nobody seems to think that THEY could become an addict. it is heart wrenching.
    lobster
  • @zombiegirl, thank you for your post. Very, very truthful, and a great insight into the reality that some people seem to be missing here; which is that some people have addictive personalities or addiction in their genes, and for them, the mental obsession and craving that drugs induce become the chains that can bind them for the rest of their lives.

I don't think it is worth it for anyone to find out the hard way whether or not they are an addict by tripping to find some 'spiritual experience'. And I say this as someone with intimate knowledge about the subject. I too started out tripping, smoking, and doing all kinds of drugs, often times under the guise of seeking some spiritual enlightenment. But for me, the craving for the drugs completely overshadowed any perceived enlightenment, and instead of reaching nirvana, I found myself in hell.

That being said, I don't regret my past. Everything that happened led me to where I am now, and for that I am grateful. But if I had any advice to anyone seeking enlightenment or spiritual experiences, it is that you DO NOT NEED DRUGS to find them. And in fact, if you are predisposed to addiction, you may end up finding quite the opposite - and at a cost that is much greater than you may ever have imagined.

I think the fact that the Buddha devoted an entire Precept to avoiding intoxicants goes a long way to supporting this viewpoint too, at least IMHO.

Namaste'

Kwan Kev
  • Eating mushrooms, smoking a leave, and other ethnobotanicals are much safer and have tremendously more value. So it is very important that a distinction is made about the type of drug being used.
    as i previously suggested, the distinction is in the user and not in the drug

please take care :skeptic:
    I STRONGLY disagree that the distinction is solely in the user. I would agree that the user plays an important role and that we can add user to the distinction; however, it is just a fact of pharmacology that a person on meth or crack is not going to have the same reaction as a person on mushrooms or weed.
    It amazes me that anyone anywhere (particularly anyone claiming to be Buddhist) would ever economically support or advocate in the name of personal "spiritual growth" an industry that miserably enslaves and dehumanizes human beings worldwide.
    You would be right if the sources for those drugs were part of that industry. Why would I want to do drugs that were grown by people who just wanted to make money? Intention is important.
    ...Stoning oneself off one's ass like a big spoiled brat of a nihilistic materialistic whining baby in the middle of one's cushy materialistic surroundings only makes one less of a big spoiled brat of a nihilistic materialistic whining baby in one's own deluded imagination.
    OK, I get that you feel that drugs only further delusions, but I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish with name calling in this statement.

What I find interesting is that the people who reported they had spiritual experiences while on drugs all seem to say the same thing: if you must, use responsibly, get what you need from it, and move on. Nobody is advocating doing drugs to gain enlightenment, nor is anybody saying that prolonged drug use is healthy for the body or mind. If you haven't had a spiritual experience on hallucinogens, you probably just can't relate to those who have. That is fine, but don't discredit our experiences because you don't understand (simply having done hallucinogens isn't understanding, you have to approach it from a very different mindset).
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Wow, lots of posts. Thanks for all the responses. I like to read other people's opinions regarding these kinds of things.

First of all, my trip experiences dealt specifically with mushrooms, just so people here can have the details. Other psychedelics were not my cup of tea, especially acid which I found to be dangerous and strange.

Second of all, as a Buddhist, use of drugs should never be advocated for the purposes of seeking lasting happiness or liberation/enlightenment. There was a time in my life where I believed that use of psychedelics in the proper environment, et al, could be the end-all be-all of the spiritual journey. That somewhere in these chemicals and their effects was the answer for why I am here and how am supposed to live my life and how I can be happier in general.

I even started to create my own religion based on the use of mushrooms as a sacrament. It was while researching the structure and beliefs of other religions that I started gaining a very real interest in Buddhism, and it took a long time for me to accept the fact that maybe I had been wrong.

There came a time where I realized that any kind of happiness or insight or wisdom gained from the psychedlic experience was so fleeting and impermanent. Even the memories of my trips became disatisfying and vague like trying to remember a dream from childhood. It was long after I had left the psychedelic experience behind me, along with weed and even alcohol, that my first real glimpse at purpose and path was revealed.

By giving up drugs and alcohol, I was able to save money and was forced to spend time doing other things that I would normally have wasted high on the couch. I have gained weight and muscles and now look better than I ever have before. I have paid bakc my debts to my university and am starting school again after 4 years of confusion and loss and struggle surrounded by a cloud of drug use and anger and frustration. I have a better libido even and my relationship with my girlfriend has become more dynamic and real, even though she is still very much into smoking green (she is 3 years younger than me so I'm being patient.)

When it comes down to it, I cannot regret the experiences I had on drugs. I did have some out-of-this-world experiences and even the suffering I endured has led me to seek a better path. I am really glad that people responded to my post. I feel like working this out has given me a chance to re-examine the reasons I abondoned my "old life." As some of my old friends form those times are starting to come back into my life, it's more important than ever that I remain steadfast in my mindfulness and adherance to the precepts.

Love you guys :om:
  • @talisman Thanks for the thread and thanks for sharing your experience. It is always interesting to hear how people arrive at the path. How frequently would you say you did mushrooms?
  • Dozens of times. I used to grow them for personal use.
  • ...it is just a fact of pharmacology that a person on meth or crack is not going to have the same reaction as a person on mushrooms or weed.
    sure...but even weed can lead some down a really bad road... :skeptic:
  • http://www.zigzagzen.com/

i read this whole book a while ago. it is very insightful and basically gives a pro/con summary about drugs and their relation to buddhism here in the west. drugs were also used in the east, but not much has been recorded about that.
  • Mckenna is an "interesting" read. Have you read The Invisible Landscape? It's where I first found an explanation of the holographic mind theory. Very cool.
  • auraaura Veteran

OK, I get that you feel that drugs only further delusions, but I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish with name calling in this statement.
    I am presenting the experience and the viewpoint of millions of children worldwide who have to deal with physical, sexual, and emotional assault and abuse, domestic violence, street violence, and drug gangs overrunning, controlling, and destroying their urban neighborhoods, schools, family subsistence farmlands, sanity, and childhoods such that they do not believe they will survive to adulthood, all thanks to the efforts of so many people who have economically supported and empowered the huge economic industry of the drug trade.

I am also highlighting both the experience and the viewpoint of the millions of family members, relatives, neighbors, friends, teachers, store clerks, hotel maids, police, firemen, paramedics, social workers, nursing aides, and janitors who have to clean up the mess afterwards.
    If you haven't had a spiritual experience on hallucinogens, you probably just can't relate to those who have.
    If you haven't had the spiritual experience of cleaning up the feces, vomit, and broken and dead bodies, minds, hearts, and lives left behind by people on hallucinogens, you haven't experienced anything more than your own deluded imagination.
  • edited August 2011

I am presenting the experience and the viewpoint of millions of children worldwide who have to deal with physical, sexual, and emotional assault and abuse, domestic violence, street violence, and drug gangs overrunning, controlling, and destroying their urban neighborhoods, schools, family subsistence farmlands, sanity, and childhoods such that they do not believe they will survive to adulthood, all thanks to the efforts of so many people who have economically supported and empowered the huge economic industry of the drug trade.

I am also highlighting both the experience and the viewpoint of the millions of family members, relatives, neighbors, friends, teachers, store clerks, hotel maids, police, firemen, paramedics, social workers, nursing aides, and janitors who have to clean up the mess afterwards.
    If you haven't had a spiritual experience on hallucinogens, you probably just can't relate to those who have.
    If you haven't had the spiritual experience of cleaning up the feces, vomit, and broken and dead bodies, minds, hearts, and lives left behind by people on hallucinogens, you haven't experienced anything more than your own deluded imagination.
    It's hard for me not to react with anger to the aggression and arrogance in your implication that I'm giving a green light to the rogue industries that make narcotics available to consumers in the 'first world'. The truth is that I agree with you 100% when it comes to the cocaine trade, the heroin trade, and other industries that are directly linked to human trafficking and social domination by cutthroat criminal organizations.

However, it's absolutely absurd for you to class the growing and selling of marijuana and psilocybin in the same category. Marijauna is a borderline industry, with regards to criminality and social blight - it functions largely as an underground cottage industry in California, does not involve risky smuggling and tends to employ a wide range of people who are not coerced into this activity. A lot of people grow their own. Regarding psilocybin - mushrooms - this is something people grow in their backyards and in their kitchen cabinets. It's clear to me that you just don't really understand the way this 'drug culture' differs from the large scale criminal operations of the narcotics trade.

Further, you really need to tone down the personal attacks and hyperbole. You are grossly mischaracterizing the motivations and experiences of people who derive real value from use of these substances. And how dare you assume anything about the class background, psychological or intellectual status of anyone based solely on the fact of their consumption of "drugs". You're blinded by your emotional hysteria. Seriously, cut out the self-righteous aggression.

Edit: Frankly, I'm infuriated by this: "If you haven't had the spiritual experience of cleaning up the feces, vomit, and broken and dead bodies, minds, hearts, and lives left behind by people on hallucinogens, you haven't experienced anything more than your own deluded imagination. "

I've experienced both sides of the coin. All the people I've known who've suffered psychiatric institutionalization, imprisonment.... Suicides, broken up families, homelessness. I have plenty of direct first hand experience with the consequences of the way criminality and narcotics culture relate in this country. This hasn't diminished my ability to differentiate from the nature of a SUBSTANCE and the ways in which it might be used, and the current way a substance FUNCTIONS in a certain social format.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2011
    ...it is just a fact of pharmacology that a person on meth or crack is not going to have the same reaction as a person on mushrooms or weed.
    sure...but even weed can lead some down a really bad road... :skeptic:
    That is fair enough, but the same could be said for anything: alcohol, video games, money, etc. What you are highlighting is just how attachments and unskillful practices can lead to suffering.

@aura, you obviously have been impacted negatively by drugs in your lifetime. You keep arguing a point that, while applicable to many situations, is not applicable to all. Your statements seem to assume that drugs always come from a gang or some horrible people. This simply isn't the case. Drugs aren't going to disappear anytime soon. So in the mean time, take a long hard look at how drug policies in this country effect the neighborhoods, children, other countries, etc. Then go look up what Lisbon, Portugal has done to help their drug problems and how effective it has been.

There is no denying that drugs can ruin peoples' lives; however, the drugs aren't the problem. The problem is the people who have no business doing drugs in the first place. The problem is suppression, which tends to lead to excess when freed from that suppression. The problem is people who continue to blame the drugs, rather than the person who took them.

@aura, you can demonize hallucinogens all you want. You can tell me I am deluded. You can call me a "big spoiled brat of a nihilistic materialistic whining baby." If all you ever saw was the negative side of a knife, you would be more likely to demonize knives. If men abused you when you were younger, you might demonize men. It is our job to not let that conditioning taint our our minds. You live your life and I will live mine.

EDIT: @Bhogakapala Well spoken my friend.