Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Giving up on TB?

SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Today
Has anyone practised in the Tibetan tradition and then decided it's not for them? I'm specifically interested in people's experiences around the cultural/doctrinal differences and how appropriate Vajrayana is for Westerners. I have been struggling myself in this area, though the teachings I received were already adapted to a degree to the Western mind, and my teacher is a Westerner. I started off in Buddhism in the Zen tradition and now I'm contemplating "downgrading" my practice from TB back to Zen, which in many ways suits me better.

My question is addressed to those who have had a bit longer involvement in TB, I mean more than just visiting a centre or reading a book and deciding "it's not for me". Sort of more like Stephen Batchelor's story. Also my question is not addressed to victims of abuse by lamas etc, but if someone wants to share something from that angle, of course please do. I also hope it won't become another thread on rebirth (though for me it's one of the difficult things about TB!).

Comments

• Go ahead, go back to Zen. Seriously. Many people have experimented between different traditions, and decide on one.

I have practiced Theravadin practices, Chan, Pure Land, Zen and Vajrayana practices, and I decided that Vajrayana is the best fit for me.

The beauty of Buddhism is that whichever tradition you decide on, it is still Buddhism. You can never go wrong with any tradition provided the teachings are authentic. Some people prefer simplicity, some people like me prefer to make things complicated.

And the beauty of Vajrayana vows is that so long as you keep on the path of Buddhism, you can never break them, because all the practices in all traditions culminate in the practice of calm-abiding and insight. Just different methods to achieve them.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    I started off in Tibetan Buddhism (FPMT) but became disillusioned with the NKT/FPMT infighting although I managed to stick it out for about fifteen years. I turned to Zen but found the same thing just smaller and less public. After much self-inquiry I no longer call myself Buddhist at all. I just don't find Buddhism to be useful to me these days, a veneer of exoticism kept me interested for two decades but now that it has worn off I just can't find the will to practice or the patience to be around Buddhists anymore.
  • So if I may ask, why are you reading a Buddhist forum then? Just curious.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Actually I only made the decision a couple of days ago, I came here to see if a private message I sent had been answered. I'll be going shortly.
  • I started off in Tibetan Buddhism (FPMT) but became disillusioned with the NKT/FPMT infighting although I managed to stick it out for about fifteen years. I turned to Zen but found the same thing just smaller and less public. After much self-inquiry I no longer call myself Buddhist at all. I just don't find Buddhism to be useful to me these days, a veneer of exoticism kept me interested for two decades but now that it has worn off I just can't find the will to practice or the patience to be around Buddhists anymore.
    That story made me teary-eyed. :bawl: I hope you are doing okay. My heart goes out to you and your journey.
  • Best of luck to you ZenBadger... I hope you can find what you're looking for. You're always welcome here in any event...
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Alot of people who enter into Tibetan Buddhism can find it odd especially if they are in a mainly tantric tradition that doesnt show a great deal of the union between sutric and tantric method and wisdom. Therefore it is always good to follow Atisha's example and get a firm base in Mahayana practise of the stages of the path( lamrim ) without making firm preparations in any path you choose it can easily become more suffering than a liberating experience.
  • How sad, (ex-)ZenBadger. You don't have the will to practice or the patience to be around Buddhists? How would you know if you were around a Buddhist? 99% of the people who know me have no idea I'm a Buddhist. So I'm not sure what that part of your statement means. Maybe the sanghas you were in weren't a good fit--too full of trendoids, the "cool" crowd, and groupies? That would be more understandable. But you may have Buddhists in your life that you aren't even aware of, whose company you enjoy.

As for not having the will to practice, does this mean you're abandoning compassion and will convert overnight to a mean and thoughtless person? Does it mean you'll suddenly begin clinging to things when dealing with life's frustrations? I suspect not. I suspect you'll always practice kindness, some degree of mindfulness, etc. "Practice" isn't all about meditation, you know.

I'm not picking on you. We had a thread months ago on whether or not it's possible to abandon Buddhism entirely. The general consensus was, "no", one isn't going to throw away techniques that help one get through life, one isn't going to suddenly abandon kindness. So yours is a good case in point. ....I think... What do you think?

btw, several members here practice at home and don't identify with any one school. There's no exoticism in the 4 Noble Truths, the 8Fold Path, kindness, mindfulness, and non-attachment.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I started off in Tibetan Buddhism (FPMT) but became disillusioned with the NKT/FPMT infighting although I managed to stick it out for about fifteen years. I turned to Zen but found the same thing just smaller and less public. After much self-inquiry I no longer call myself Buddhist at all. I just don't find Buddhism to be useful to me these days, a veneer of exoticism kept me interested for two decades but now that it has worn off I just can't find the will to practice or the patience to be around Buddhists anymore.
    Good luck friend ! :)
  • Whatever you believe ZenBadger, I hope you life is happy and peaceful.

With Metta
    :)
  • I went to a Tibetan buddhist gathering once and felt it wasn't the place for me. Prostrations to the moon, earth ...and...whatever....are not for me. The symbolism and the fact I don't believe in reincarnation wouldn't enable me to sustain a Tibetan religious practice. Actually I don't know why I'm posting this. Organized religion would never be for me.

The most I would get out of it might be how to better meditate and all that...but really the spiritual journey is a very personal one....
  • One day there was a young man named Abu.
    Abu was interested in 2 different meals and couldnt decide which one to eat.
    He tried a little bit of both but still couldnt decide.
    He began a search to find which was the best meal. He asked people's advice. Which do they prefer? Everyone had their own opinions. And Abu was left with mixed opinions.
    In the end, An old man was walking along the river where Abu was thinking and thought he'd ask one last person. And so He asked the old man for his opinion.
    'which meal do you think i should eat' asked Abu

The Old man looked and asked: 'Whats wrong with having one tonight then having the other tomorrow night?
    Instantly, Abu became Enlghtened
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Has anyone practised in the Tibetan tradition and then decided it's not for them? I'm specifically interested in people's experiences around the cultural/doctrinal differences and how appropriate Vajrayana is for Westerners.
    *[In my opinion] Vajrayana is best avoided. In Vajrayana, you are either a devotee (recipient of love) or Bodhisattva (giver of love). Vajrayana is guru worship or guru Tantra.

It is best to learn & practise the basics of Buddhism, namely, morality, concentration & insight.

The best path is the Hinayana path. The Hinayana path means the path designed to develop yourself and free your mind from suffering & problems.

Please remember: "Hinayana is not a dirty word"

Best wishes :)
  • One is a devotee in Vajrayana only in Highest Yoga Tantra. The bulk of the Vajrayana teachings are about cultivating compassion, mindfulness, awareness, morality, etc. Vajrayana subsumes Hinayana within it.
  • One is a devotee in Vajrayana only in Highest Yoga Tantra. The bulk of the Vajrayana teachings are about cultivating compassion, mindfulness, awareness, morality, etc. Vajrayana subsumes Hinayana within it.
    One is a devotee in Vajrayana from when one takes Refuge in the Lama, the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha.

• As the great Tibetan philosopher and "mad monk" Gendun Chophel pointed out in his exploration of the Madyamika, one can't possibly impose a tenet system on one's own mind from without. Whatever is your mind, whatever you actually experience, whatever arises for you and the way in which it arises and what value you attach to that experience---that's your own system. Ultimately we must all work within this actual proving ground of reality. So to say "I am a Hinayana" is meaningless unless you have a proper Hinayana view; that is to say, unless your non-contrived mind (I'm not referring to any realization or heightened state of awareness, just your everyday mind) desires liberation from Samsara, and further cognizes how the Four Noble Truths explain not just suffering but your suffering, not just the cessation of suffering but how your suffering might cease, and so on.

That's why, if something isn't working within some religion or tradition or sect, or where some teacher's instructions simply aren't resonating with you, aren't helping you to gain a better understanding, to make your actual view closer to correct view...it means that whatever you're being told to do, imagine, transform, "see as", etc. isn't causing your mind to change so that these things become more natural to you---become a part of your mental continuum; so that these initially contrived experiences begin to arise in your mind of their own accord.

Only when it arises naturally in your own mind naturally can you be said to have correct view. That's NOT to say that, when a teacher asks you to pretend to see something or feel something, that this is a wrong way to teach. It's fine to pretend to love other beings or feel compassion for them in a contrived way, when trying to generate such types of minds. However, when you never get beyond that stage, you need to take a good look at how you're being taught and the system that you're practicing in, as well as to check your own motivation, practice schedule, mindfulness during the day, efforts to practice morality, and you level of attachment to you job, relationships, family issues, etc. There are many causes for not progressing; some of them have nothing to do with the tradition you practice in; other definitely may be related to it; it may be the wrong type of practice for you.

I have my own issues with Tibetan Buddhism, mostly stemming from the high degree of Tibetan cultural overlay on top of the already existing Indian cultural overlay. Buddhas wear Indian garments that Brahmins wore 2500 years ago; mountain and lake spirits that I have no experience with nor faith in, to say the least, are visualized and related to.

This isn't the right place for me to discuss this further. Suffice it to say that I find the analysis of emptiness and meditations upon emptiness to be useful, and the Lam Rim teaching system to be a good one to get to renunciation and bodhicitta.

As for the "guru worship" aspect, it's not worshiping someone/something else----another person or being. It's respecting the highest and best thing that can appear in my mind; knowing that this appearing object (that's all any teacher is) can provide instruction which can help to change my mind---change how it experiences self and phenomena---makes me want to keep it close, to honor it, to make offerings to it, ask it to stay, ask it to help beings, to help me, and the like. If, for one moment, I believed that my practice is directed towards some old smiling guy with an accent who's using "superhearing" to listen to me when I practice, or something like that, I'd abandon this lineage in a flash. For those who see it that way, I can only hope that they come to understand the nature of the relationship in the way practitioners see it. Seeing a teachers as some dude...some external being, is improper. Maybe it would help if I repeat (paraphrasing but pretty close to the actual words) what my main teacher once told a small group of students immediately following a retreat we had done (it was a series of meditations on the Heart Sutra).

"If you have found anything I have said to be helpful don't thank me---thank yourself. I'm just moving my lips creating some vibrations; and whatever else happens is the result of how your own mind interprets and understands them."

The teacher is visualized as not separate from yourself, never a substantial being, always arising from emptiness, always returning to emptiness or merging with your own mind; always like an illusion, a dream, etc. The words of the teacher are the highest and best mind you can generate because it's the mind that can move you forward on your spiritual journey.

• edited September 2011
    Hi tjampel,

I think its worth noting that the term 'Hinayana' or 'lesser path' which is used in Vajarayana is pejorative.

This is worth reading "The Myth of Hinayana"

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha140.htm

As for attitudes to teachers, in my experience of Tibetan Buddhism, the teachers were treated like celebrity movie stars.

kind regards,

D
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I don't think it is such a bad thing to leave Buddhism, and so I am on the side of Zen Badger. All of the in-fighting can get to one.

I was in Tibetan Buddhism for a while, and what I found disturbing was the teachings on hell, which I received in my second lesson. Being a non believer in a hell, it struck me as wrong. And then when I learned that sex was part of the meditation practice in the higher tantras, I said, NO. I left. But I left Buddhism altogether.

If I were to be in Buddhism it would be Zen, and if I were a purist I would go to Theravada. But personally what did me in was the lies being told by teachers and students in TB and the scandals you read about.
  • edited September 2011
    Hi tjampel,

I think its worth noting that the term 'Hinayana' or 'lesser path' which is used in Vajarayana is pejorative.

This is worth reading "The Myth of Hinayana"

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha140.htm

As for attitudes to teachers, in my experience of Tibetan Buddhism, the teachers were treated like celebrity movie stars.

kind regards,

D
    I agree with the article you posted. I hadn't used that term in years until I read a post by Dhamma Dhatu, which not only used the term but made a point of stating that it's not pejorative. I'm happy to use whatever term those who practice within the tradition that embraces the Pali Canon, only is most comfortable with. I was referring. NOT to an actual school but merely to the view on the topic of personal liberation or liberation for the benefit of others.

Theravada was one of a number of schools, all of which have used the Pali Canons only as their scriptural source. I think there were something like 18 schools at one time. The Vaibashikas and Sautanrikas were two others, for example. So what how would you refer to the overarching philosophy espoused therein to differentiate it from that of schools, which accept other scriptural sources in addition to the Pali Canons?

One is a devotee in Vajrayana from when one takes Refuge in the Lama, the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha.

I this case, I don't know what "devotee" means. The refuge vow is to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha, not the lama. One's relationship to the lama doesn't change, just by taking a vow.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I think you can only become a devotee when you feel this person is your teacher and you're willing to receive instruction from him/her. No-one can make you a devotee. Similarly with the refuge in the Three Jewels.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Going to sangha once a week to receive instruction, as DD, says, in the basics of Buddhism, compassion, morality, etc. doesn't make anyone a "devotee", it makes them a student. There 's no difference there between TB and Theravada or any other school of Buddhism. The devotee part comes in at the higher levels of Vajrayana, and is a choice the student makes at that point.
  • Regarding Tibetan Buddhist teachers as rock stars. Yes, that's a fact. Many are treated that way. I would hope that practitioners can see them properly, however they treat them. I think it's partly cultural (Tibetans of the earlier 20th Century were afraid to even look at the Dalai Lamas when they passed by) and partly stems from the concept that "spiritual friends", as they are called, keep the words of the Buddha alive and bring them to ordinary beings.

A qualified teacher they will make a clear distinction between the fact that many lamas, in terms of their own status (from their own side) are ordinary/unrealized (in the sense of being, at least, aryas (steam enterers). Students practice seeing them as enlightened beings for the purpose of doing their practice; but it goes much further than that; they try to see all sentient beings as enlightened, as extraordinary; that's a part of the imagined practice (Generation Stage practice) of Tantra. It's a way of trying to see all things and all minds as reflecting the full potential of that mind. Its totally contrived. But that's my point; seeing the teacher as a God or Celestial Buddha, etc. is also contrived; students should know that.

One lama recently stated that, as far as he know there were maybe 5 other lamas in the world who had achieved a very high level of realization. Serious students know this, and look beyond the immediate personal qualities of the lama and, instead, use an idealized version of their teacher, knowing full well what they're doing. They also follow the teachings and advices of their teacher but...to a point. If the teacher says something that's doctrinally incorrect they should always challenge them, refused to accept it, or refuse to follow them on that point and study with someone else while respecting their teacher for what useful information she/he has been able to impart to them. If the teacher tells them to do something immoral or unethical they should refuse. Using your teacher in a mental exercise is one thing; actually treating your teacher as an infallible being is another. We must rely on our ability to reason, on our own tenets, on our own understanding of morality (of of which must be based on serious study, contemplation and meditation; otherwise we may have a faulty understanding of any of the above).
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited September 2011
    A TB teacher I worked with for a few years (out of the shambhala center in chicago) was humble, gracious and helpful in a way that was directly transformative. He regarded all traditions as important, and never seemed to consider himself a rock star. I think with any practice, any view, it really depends on what you bring with you.

If devotion to a guru helps someone build their raft, why undercut the motive? With practice, devotion to people will naturally erode.... and the hope that is inspired can be transferred over to the jewels. A culture could do worse than treating spiritual teachers as rock stars. Such as treating singers as rock stars. :)
    I think even HHDL said something like "too much deference spoils the teacher".
  • I think even HHDL said something like "too much deference spoils the teacher".
    Yes, he has said that he's seen friends of his who were very humble in India transform into almost unrecognizable ego-driven beings after spending time in the West.

Good posts, everyone. :) I've never been to a sangha where the lama expected students to regard him as anything more than a teacher. In the beginning and intermediate stages, devotion to the teacher isn't needed. Respect, certainly. aMatt, the reason to caution people from using devotion as "part of the raft" is that it can become a trap for women. There are unscrupulous teachers who deliberately teach devotion and regarding the lama as an infallible representative of the Buddha as a way of grooming female students for secret sexual relationships. The intent on the part of some teachers is clearly predatory. Male students aren't immune to this, either. A word to the wise is prudent in these (what many Buddhist teachers regard as) "degenerate" times. It sounds like you had a really good teacher back in Chicago. Those types are the ones to look for.

I have my own issues with Tibetan Buddhism, mostly stemming from the high degree of Tibetan cultural overlay on top of the already existing Indian cultural overlay. Buddhas wear Indian garments that Brahmins wore 2500 years ago; mountain and lake spirits that I have no experience with nor faith in, to say the least, are visualized and related to.

This isn't the right place for me to discuss this further. Suffice it to say that I find the analysis of emptiness and meditations upon emptiness to be useful, and the Lam Rim teaching system to be a good one to get to renunciation and bodhicitta.
    This is my issue as well. How to separate the cultural overlay from the essential teaching. It isn't always easy even to distinguish between the two. Given that Tantra aims at "re-enchanting" the world, do you think it's possible to really get into tantra without importing all the spirits and the rest of it?

If you don't want to discuss it in the open forum, feel free to PM me.

• I this case, I don't know what "devotee" means. The refuge vow is to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha, not the lama. One's relationship to the lama doesn't change, just by taking a vow.
    Can I ask if you've actually taken Tibetan Buddhist Refuge offline, Dakini ?

The words of the Refuge are as follows :

" The main Preliminary Practises

1. Taking Refuge

From now until I obtain the essence of Enlightenment

I take refuge in the Lama, the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

(combine with prostrations and recite as much as possible)"

http://www.meritfields.com/Texte/ngondro.html

edited September 2011
    There is an interesting interview with Alan Wallace about some of those issues: Tibetan Buddhism in the West: Is it working here?
  • Refuge vows vary from school to school. The Sakya vows I was given said nothing about taking refuge in the lama.
  • I don't know why, but all of this bothers me. That is, perceived belief systems within different traditions. I have been under the impression during a few years practice that belief systems in general hinder the progress of taming the mind and minimizing suffering. In essence, understanding through experiential means that our beliefs mean nothing when juxtaposed with pure focus on reality, which is the present moment.

I see Buddhism as a practice that gives suggestions in its core writings, rather than trying to convince us in doctrine. When I read the 4 noble truths and the eightfold path, I interpret it as encouragement to find these things myself.

If a particular tradition creates fertile ground for the core practice, great, but I am still wondering how that is possible when belief systems are held in place.
  • Refuge vows vary from school to school. The Sakya vows I was given said nothing about taking refuge in the lama.
    Did you take part in the offline refuge ceremony with a Sakya lama, Dakini ?
    @Deformed,

That is the whole problem, imo. But can you really get away from belief system? You need some context in which to make sense of the teachings, and the world generally.
    Did you take part in the offline refuge ceremony with a Sakya lama, Dakini ?
    If so, did you repeat the vows in Tibetan or in English - and if they were in Tibetan, did you have a translation available?

• @Deformed,

That is the whole problem, imo. But can you really get away from belief system? You need some context in which to make sense of the teachings, and the world generally.
    I don't think of it as escaping belief systems, rather having complete awareness of them. In a sense, transcending them. The only context I see as needed is conscious awareness of what the mind is doing in reaction to reality and what we are doing in reality in reaction to the mind.
  • A A culture could do worse than treating spiritual teachers as rock stars. Such as treating singers as rock stars. :)
    @aMatt - very nicely put, and I couldn't agree more : )

Personally, I consider myself a Buddhist simply because I have read and mostly understand the teachings (main ones) of the Buddha - the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Five Precepts, etc - and I agree with and practice all of them.

I guess I am what the Buddha would have referred to as a "layperson", as I have no desire to become a monk and so on. I do however consider myself both a teacher and a student, as I do all people. I learned to avoid the whole "this school is better than that one" spiel, as it reminded me of the same thing in Christianity, i.e. Protestants vs Catholics vs Lutherans vs .... Blah! I consider myself a Christian in that I accept and embrace what Christ taught, but I don't call myself a Christian because I don't believe in all the teachings that have come to be known as "Christian".

I view Buddhism in the same way, in that I embrace and accept what the Buddha taught, but again - I don't get into the whole Theravada vs Mahayan vs Zen vs Vajrayana... Ugh! I guess you could say I practice my own, multi-school Buddhism. And maybe I feel more comfortable saying I am a Buddhist because here in the West, people are mostly uninformed about all the different 'flavors'. Perhaps, if I were in the East, I would not do the same, because I would not want to be grilled about which school I identified with, or told that I'm not a true Buddhist because I don't align with one school. But in my mind and heart, I am a Buddhist who accepts the views of Christ, much as Thich Nhat Hahn does.

Namaste'

Kwan Kev

• The vow was in English. I chose not to take it, because there was a phrase in it that is not present in other traditions, which I didn't agree with. But if I'd taken the vow, the relationship with the lama wouldn't have changed one iota. He was only present during the weekly proceedings for a 20-minute teaching, and kept his distance from sangha members.

• Personally, I consider myself a Buddhist simply because I have read and mostly understand the teachings (main ones) of the Buddha - the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Five Precepts, etc - and I agree with and practice all of them.

I am a Buddhist who accepts the views of Christ, much as Thich Nhat Hahn does.
    Kwan Kev
    There are a lot of people practicing Buddhism as you do, Kev. I have most of my life, except for a detour of a few years into TB. This raises the questions: Is a school really needed for one to progress on the path? Is a teacher really necessary? Questions for another thread, perhaps.

Accepting the views of Christ doesn't make one a Christian, as I understand it. Accepting the divinity of Christ does. Accepting the Resurrection, Son of God, all that jazz is what defines a Christian.

• I have my own issues with Tibetan Buddhism, mostly stemming from the high degree of Tibetan cultural overlay on top of the already existing Indian cultural overlay. Buddhas wear Indian garments that Brahmins wore 2500 years ago; mountain and lake spirits that I have no experience with nor faith in, to say the least, are visualized and related to.

This is my issue as well. How to separate the cultural overlay from the essential teaching. It isn't always easy even to distinguish between the two. Given that Tantra aims at "re-enchanting" the world, do you think it's possible to really get into tantra without importing all the spirits and the rest of it?

If you don't want to discuss it in the open forum, feel free to PM me.
    This is a good topic for discussion. I will think about it and start a thread. One way I deal with these issues is to see ALL forms of beings that I'm asked to visualize as not only arising from emptiness, but as being an element in my practice of cultivating clear appearances (that is, achieving a strong meditation practice.)If doing my practice involves making offerings to spirits about who's existence I've only been made aware since I began practicing in this lineage, it would be foolish to behave as if "oh of course they exist; the practice text (sadhana) says so". They don't exist for me until they appear to me independently of any contrived visualization. That is--- (in this case at least), seeing is believing.

As for all those Indian robes and jewely robes and all that...well, as Gendun Chophel also stated (paraphrasing)
    "If the Buddha had been born in Tibet we'd be visualizing him with heavy yak-skin boots and parka, and silver and turquoise jewelry, and he'd be surrounded by snow leopards and perpetually milk-giving yaks".

• Tjampel, can you give a source for that quote of Chopel's? He was such a character! Brilliant, too. Eccentric.
    "Tantra aims at re-enchanting the world". What an interesting comment. I'll think about that one. I wonder if that's what some people refer to as "Tibetan magical thinking"?
  • Unfortunately I can't find another source for that quote because it came from the mouth of one of my teachers; the other quote I used in an earlier post---this one:

In Tibet, everything that is old
    Is a work of Buddha
    And everything that is new
    Is a work of the Devil
    This is the sad tradition of our country

is from a 1946 poem and may be found in several places; here's one below:

http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2007/02/

• @tjampel This is interesting; did your teacher know Chopel? He seems to be full of quotes by him.
  • . I started off in Buddhism in the Zen tradition and now I'm contemplating "downgrading" my practice from TB back to Zen, which in many ways suits me better.
    I am neither Zen nor TB, but I have to disagree with the term "downgrading". I think that for you, it might be an "upgrade" if it is more effective for you individually.

@Shutoku,

Yes, I used the term "downgrading" in a tongue-in-cheek way, as TB would view itself as the pinnacle of all vehicles. I agree with you that what is most effective is the highest. The trouble is how do I know? The usual answer is "try for yourself". But that may take a long time! But then again, there are many people, like @federica I believe, who spent a couple of decades finding their tradition. I feel a kind of affinity with Zen, but I'm afraid I'd be missing out on many aspects of Buddhism if I leave TB. I'm just getting more confused.. :(
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011

One lama recently stated that, as far as he know there were maybe 5 other lamas in the world who had achieved a very high level of realization. Serious students know this, and look beyond the immediate personal qualities of the lama and, instead, use an idealized version of their teacher, knowing full well what they're doing. They also follow the teachings and advices of their teacher but...to a point. If the teacher says something that's doctrinally incorrect they should always challenge them, refused to accept it, or refuse to follow them on that point and study with someone else while respecting their teacher for what useful information she/he has been able to impart to them. If the teacher tells them to do something immoral or unethical they should refuse. Using your teacher in a mental exercise is one thing; actually treating your teacher as an infallible being is another. We must rely on our ability to reason, on our own tenets, on our own understanding of morality (of of which must be based on serious study, contemplation and meditation; otherwise we may have a faulty understanding of any of the above).
    I just wanted to reiterate this paragraph from above. Many students go into the student-teacher relationship naively and without any experience. It would be good for this experience to be shared with newbies everywhere.

Your point about looking beyond the personal qualities of the teacher, and in your mind, using an idealized version of him for the purpose of receiving the teachings, is interesting. That may work better for most men than some women. Not checking out the qualities of the teacher in advance, as so many in TB advise students to do, has gotten some students into trouble.
  • edited September 2011
    I used the term "downgrading" in a tongue-in-cheek way, as TB would view itself as the pinnacle of all vehicles. I agree with you that what is most effective is the highest. The trouble is how do I know? The usual answer is "try for yourself". But that may take a long time! But then again, there are many people, like @federica I believe, who spent a couple of decades finding their tradition. I feel a kind of affinity with Zen, but I'm afraid I'd be missing out on many aspects of Buddhism if I leave TB. I'm just getting more confused.. :(
    There's life after Tibetan Buddhism, its no big deal to decide to leave it and move on - in fact for me it was like a big breath of fresh air!

(no disrespect to anyone intended)

• I started with Soto, but then found Jodo Shinshu. I was skeptical at first but it has been fantastic. I"m now something like 15 years of Jodo Shinshu.
    I would suggest go to Zen. If you feel you are missing out on something....you probably aren't doing to well with the Zen
    :lol: but seriously, try it for awhile. You will find the answer in a much more definitive way through your own experience.
    If there is something missing for you, you will know....just as obviously you feel there is something missing now or you wouldn't be contemplating this. It's just a matter of finding the right fit for you where you are at. Over time that may change.
  • @Dakini - thanks for your insights. It is always good to hear that there are others who practice the way I do. And I agree completely with your assertions about Christianity. Speaking of it always reminds me of one of my favorite quotes of all time :

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” --- Mahatma Ghandi

Namaste'

Kwan Kev
  • one of my favorite quotes of all time :
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” --- Mahatma Ghandi
    Yes, well...how many Buddhists do you know who are like the Buddha?