Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation is the most meaningful thing in this meaningless world.

jlljll Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter
That is what my teacher said.
Any comments?

Comments

• Theres something bigger than meditation otherwise we become ego-maniac meditators.
  • jlljll Veteran
    I would say most people are egomaniacs.
    How many of them are meditators, I am not sure.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    We have bigger houses but smaller families,
    more conveniences, but less time.
    We have more degrees, but less sense
    more knowledge, but less judgement
    more experts, but more problems
    more medicines, but less healthiness.
    We’ve been all the way to the moon and back
    but have trouble crossing the street to meet the neighbor.
    We built more computers to hold more information
    to produce more copies than ever…
    but have less communication.
    We have become long on quantity but short on quality.
    These are fast times of fast foods but slow digestion.
    Tall man but short character.
    Steep profits but shallow relationships.
    It is a time where there is much in the window
    but nothing in the room.

~ The 14th Dalai Lama

Reminds me of this
  • IMO meditation is a sweet pleasure that you can do until you are very old
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Without compassion this world would be far more meaningless than any picture you could depict. If everyone meditated but did nothing compassionate, merely locking themselves away like heron addicts but instead of a needle using a cushion, then that would be very sad indeed.

Meditation is great, but it is not the answer to all of your problems, neither is compassion. Just like with food you need a balanced diet :)
  • either everything is meaningless or everything is meaningful.

no in between.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I believe his statement simply means that meditation is a doorway to gain insight and wisdom, and to which we can use to make sense of things that we encounter in life.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    We have bigger houses but smaller families,
    more conveniences, but less time.
    We have more degrees, but less sense
    more knowledge, but less judgement
    more experts, but more problems
    more medicines, but less healthiness.
    We’ve been all the way to the moon and back
    but have trouble crossing the street to meet the neighbor.
    We built more computers to hold more information
    to produce more copies than ever…
    but have less communication.
    We have become long on quantity but short on quality.
    These are fast times of fast foods but slow digestion.
    Tall man but short character.
    Steep profits but shallow relationships.
    It is a time where there is much in the window
    but nothing in the room.

~ The 14th Dalai Lama

Reminds me of this
    I like the quote, its actually an excerpt from a longer essay and isn't by the Dalai Lama, it is by a former pastor Dr. Bob Moorehead.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp
    either everything is meaningless or everything is meaningful.

no in between.
    aww cmon
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    'meaning' is somewhat subjective - if the world itself is meaningless then how can something we do within the confines of it have meaning?
  • because the world is completely empty and devoid of any intrinsic meaning.
    all meaning is possible but completely as projections.

lol non-meaning was giving me meaning now i dont know what your talking about but your ruining it :P
  • Theres something bigger than meditation otherwise we become ego-maniac meditators.
    I agree. I wouldn't say the world is meaningless

Meditation is a great tool but it isn't everything
  • Each mandala arises out of nothing and then diffuses into nothing.. This happens in each meditation and with each breath. The play of factors involves exchanges of energy as we radiate out from the center to the spokes of the wheel. Could be a wheel of the sangha with the solid leaders in the middle and the people further and further from the center. The people experience energy amongst each other such as nurturing or whatever other qualities.

Awareness is always there and there are all these mandalas arising and collapsing within. Because a quality of awareness is sensitivity there is a sense of bliss which could be distorted as rejection of experience or could be all sorts of qualities: gratitude, patience, receptivity.
    Meaning is a psychological defense mechanism? That's pretty out there dude.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    because the world is completely empty and devoid of any intrinsic meaning.

Right, any meaning, or meaninglessness, in the world comes from our own mental attitude and projections. It doesn't occur 'out there'.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012

Right, any meaning, or meaninglessness, in the world comes from our own mental attitude and projections. It doesn't occur 'out there'.
    Don't we get our "mental attitudes" from "out there"?
    Meaning is a psychological defense mechanism? That's pretty out there dude.
    not sure where you get psychological defense mechanism.
    care to elaborate?

• The world supports us and we make the world.

there is no out there, nor is there in here. these are asserted reference points. they only exist as nominal projection with no true referents.

mental attitudes spontaneously arise in no where, nor are the locatable. yet the vividly appear. they are based on an infinite variety of causes/conditions meeting an infinite variety of causes/conditions.

thus completely empty, void of inherent existence. yet completely vividly appearing.

meaning and meaninglessness are all projections from mind.

there is no out there, nor is there in here. these are asserted reference points. they only exist as nominal projection with no true referents.

mental attitudes spontaneously arise in no where, nor are the locatable. yet the vividly appear. they are based on an infinite variety of causes/conditions meeting an infinite variety of causes/conditions.

thus completely empty, void of inherent existence. yet completely vividly appearing.

meaning and meaninglessness are all projections from mind.
    In the way that you describe all things are "projections" of the mind, all things are empty, and indeed things either exist or they don't exist. The term "projection" refers to a psychological defense mechanism.

Doesn't Buddhist doctrine say that all things arise dependently?
  • Labels such as existence and non existence do not apply to things that arise dependently on cause/conditions.

Thus they are empty of inherent existence. This isn't a view and to be taken as a view would be terrible.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    There is meaning but the mistake we make is in thinking that meaning is an inherent truth. Meaning is like art. It exists but it wasn't there before we painted it.
  • Labels such as existence and non existence do not apply to things that arise dependently on cause/conditions.
    I arose dependently. Did I exist before I existed?
    Thus they are empty of inherent existence. This isn't a view and to be taken as a view would be terrible.
    But it is a view. What's wrong with having a view?
  • It exists but it wasn't there before we painted it.
    Then how did we paint it?
    I arose dependently. Did I exist before I existed?
    But it is a view. What's wrong with having a view?
    There is no i other than the minds nominal assertion of i, my, me, mine.

A view is baseless and ultimately will lead to suffering.
  • Buddhism is a view...
  • Buddhism is a view that leads to the freedom from views. Emphasis is on direct realization rather than following dogma.

The words point to a non dual reailty that has no reference points.
  • Uh, you just wrote that a view will ultimately lead to suffering and now that a view leads to the freedom from views. Sounds like you mean that some views are right or good and other views are wrong or bad. That's pretty much everyone's view.
  • No dependent origination is not a view. It is how experience is occuring.

By examining one starts to see how any view on reality is a misperception.

Ignorance. We believe that things have instrinsic existence or essences. Thus we grasp, cling, lust over, suffer.

With the view of dependent origination we start to see how reality is conpletely dependent on causes/conditions.

That isn't a philosophical assertion. It is experiential. Thus holding right view isn't a view but a total deconstruction of all views.

Right view is no view.
    The only view worth having is the buddhas point of view. Because it is the only view that frees us from views.

• right view isn't a view
    Then how do you know it's right?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @Iktomi, Trungpa rinpoche translated right in the eightfold to mean complete. (I think) For example if you are at work you get the hang of things and you just know what you are doing. You don't have to think of it. So right view encompasses things. In meditation all these arisings come up but you don't spin out at any one of them. By removing obstacles the truth becomes clear. When it is clear we know, we are confident. If a mistake is made the mistake is included in the completion.. The completion is ongoing.. The problems we have our empty. We don't have to know how to solve them. One way or another we work with them. Dynamically. As Thich Nhat Hanh says 'we must interbe'.

When I say obstacles one obstacle could be that we think we know, and another obstacle could be that we think it is impossible to know by anyone or even just by us.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    as this has descended into hair-splitting, and has deviated completely from the original question - and is thus, off-topic - thanks to all those who hit it out of the field - moved to 'general banter'.
    Knock yourselves out.
  • Whether there is agreement or disagreement reality is staring nakedly at us.

Either there is stress and suffering or the cessation of suffering/stress.

Each mind stream must find what works. But the message is universal. Faith or confidence is assured when happiness and peace follow.
  • And i am sorry for going off topic!

Bad habit of mine.

Bad habit of mine.
    I took exception to the idea that meaning is projected onto the world by us, if that's what you were saying.

Bad habit of mine.
    I took exception to the idea that meaning is projected onto the world by us, if that's what you were saying.
    Yeah that is what i was asserting.

Everything seems very impersonal until we make it personal. But then again those are all projection/imputation.

Lovely talking :)
  • The subject is meaning and not personal/impersonal. Everything does not seem meaningless until we make it meaningful.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Any comments?
    Was it really off topic?

Before we can assess whether meditation and the world are what is stated, we should try to reach some form of consensus on the meaning of meaning...

Language limits our discussion somewhat... the concepts are very abstract at root and abstract subject matter doesnt lend itself well to definition... if we play a zero sum game (conflict game) then we are just duelling with definitions.

I think there is subjective meaning (Taiyaki style) and objective meaning (Iktomi style).

Subjective - Taiyaki's point carries considerable weight - meaning is ascribed by us because it is experienced by us - physicists are known for saying that things are so because we observe them as so... take away the observer and what is left? Subjective meaning is illusion.

Objective - this is a tough one... for there to be an objective test / meaning there must be an objective archetype (a reasonably ordinary man on the street for example) - a fictional objective observer is created and it is this fiction that determines the nature of the objective reality or meaning - put in another way 'if a tree falls in a forest and there is no observer is there a sound?' - the objective model states yes , the sound waves still travel through space and fade... but there is no way to prove that - so what is needed is an act of 'faith'.... (i.e. that when I observe it it occurs so I assume / have faith / believe that if I dont observe it it is still so).

The question is: Do you believe in a God? If that is too strong then do you believe that Buddha nature is tangible?

Personally for me (and I say this as my purpose is not to propound a faith or to offend or undermine anyone else's faith), the 'subjective meaning' is illusion and the faith required for the 'objective meaning' is also illusion - there is nothing left to ponder.

So I think in answer to @jll - your teacher was probably just trying to tell you something to encourage you to meditate - you should print this out and show him - sure it will bring a smile to his face... perhaps he can also weigh in and help us out over here!
  • @Zero

:) right on!
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Upon re-reading the final paragraph I wrote I am somewhat patronising the poor teacher - sorry if youre reading this - another way of looking at his pithy encouragement is that by considering it on face value you meditate more (positive) and by considering deeper, you may reach a conclusion that cant be transmitted easily with language (positive) - I did not intend to imply that the teacher was not authentic and reasoned - in my experience, true teachers say little and convey large...
  • edited January 2012
    Any comments?
    Comprehending the meaningless world is (vipassana) meditation.

Meditation is not something separate from the meaningless world.

Kindly tell your dear teacher.
    If the world is meaningless where does a meditation belong? Kindly ask your dear teacher.
    The Buddha said: "The world is suffering; suffering is the world".

The end of suffering (Nirvana) is not the world.

The Buddha said the end of suffering is "Lokuttara", meaning "above-beyond the world".

Kindly tell your dear teacher.

• Meditation is the most meaningful thing in this meaningless world.
    Any comments?
    Was it really off topic?

Before we can assess whether meditation and the world are what is stated, we should try to reach some form of consensus on the meaning of meaning...

Language limits our discussion somewhat... the concepts are very abstract at root and abstract subject matter doesnt lend itself well to definition... if we play a zero sum game (conflict game) then we are just duelling with definitions.

I think there is subjective meaning (Taiyaki style) and objective meaning (Iktomi style).

Subjective - Taiyaki's point carries considerable weight - meaning is ascribed by us because it is experienced by us - physicists are known for saying that things are so because we observe them as so... take away the observer and what is left? Subjective meaning is illusion.

Objective - this is a tough one... for there to be an objective test / meaning there must be an objective archetype (a reasonably ordinary man on the street for example) - a fictional objective observer is created and it is this fiction that determines the nature of the objective reality or meaning - put in another way 'if a tree falls in a forest and there is no observer is there a sound?' - the objective model states yes , the sound waves still travel through space and fade... but there is no way to prove that - so what is needed is an act of 'faith'.... (i.e. that when I observe it it occurs so I assume / have faith / believe that if I dont observe it it is still so).

The question is: Do you believe in a God? If that is too strong then do you believe that Buddha nature is tangible?

Personally for me (and I say this as my purpose is not to propound a faith or to offend or undermine anyone else's faith), the 'subjective meaning' is illusion and the faith required for the 'objective meaning' is also illusion - there is nothing left to ponder.

So I think in answer to @jll - your teacher was probably just trying to tell you something to encourage you to meditate - you should print this out and show him - sure it will bring a smile to his face... perhaps he can also weigh in and help us out over here!
    I haven't posted anything that implies objective meaning. I clearly stated that I only object to the notion that we project meaning onto the world. Meaning is very much fluid, obviously. According to Buddhist teaching everything, such as meaning, the world and us, arise together. We don't project meaning onto things. It is all arising and falling away together.
  • Each mandala arises out of nothing and then diffuses into nothing.. This happens in each meditation and with each breath.
    Hi Jeffrey...
    Can you please elaborate on this...I wonder the details of your description of mandala...you using it symbolically?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @zen_world, mandala can be symbolic but actually it is how everything is in all of the 5 skandas. It is like connections or bonds. In order for us to be on this forum we have to already be hooked into mandalas. Buddhism is a mandala. The infrastructure of all our locales and the workplaces that enable us food leisure and toilet. A body is a mandala.

You can kind of get a vibe in Ken Wilbur's stuff if you are interested you can 'get the goods' there. Try googling wiki holon Ken Wilbur. But it's just the vibe of a non-buddhist though influenced by teachings of the mandala principle.

Trungpa taught mandala principle.. sorry but I am very new to mandala teachings, just listened to a talk this morning Unfortunately I don't believe the talk is yet available to the general public.

In our practice it's kind of like the triple gem. Even if you are very deluded and even become a demon if you take refuge in the triple gem and come into contact with awakened people eventually you get straightened out. It's like you are a meth addict and then you relocate out of your supply mandala (samsara) and then go to be a monk and exist in the buddhadharma mandala..

a stupa is not only a symbol but because of the very real bonds created in the sangha the power of the stupa can actually transform into dharma. It is said that even thinking of a stupa can transform.

But check out 'holons' by Ken Wilbur.
  • thanks Jeffrey...that was very informative...I will check out KW....
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Apologies @Iktomi - I misinterpreted one of your posts and ran with it
  • No problem Zero!