Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is your opinion of the "New Atheist" movement?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited February 2012 in General Banter
For those who may not know, "New Atheism" is (in a nutshell) the collected ideas and writing of prominent 21st century atheists. It takes a different approach from, for lack of a better term, traditional atheism which tolerated religion; It claims that, because of scientific progress, religion, faith and superstition need to be criticized and exposed to rational arguments. Some of the leading individuals of this movement include Dawkins, Harris, Stenger and the late Htchens.

I myself am an Agnostic Atheist, but there is just something off-putting about those who subscribe to New Atheism. I don't want to say that it is militancy, because, realistically, militant atheists write books at the most. While militant Christians bomb abortion clinics and radical Islamists suicide bomb whatever they can.

It's also not the fact that it criticizes faith and religion. I do that all the time and, likewise, people have criticized my lack of belief. A good debate is always good to have, as long as people try to maintain some composure. Besides, there is nothing "new" about an Atheist using logic to criticize religion.

Honestly, I think it is because the N.A. movement has almost made itself into what atheists don't have: a religion. During arguments, many will refer to one of the many books written by the various authors to reinstate their claims and there have been quite a few atheists I have seen that have gone beyond just admiring people like Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens. That type of commitment (and almost obsession) with any ideology is quite religious in any context; just don't tell that to any of them. They won't like that.

Also, on a semi-related note, what do you think of TheAmazingAtheist?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Personally, I don't feel that science does know enough at this time. To me it seems like evangelical Atheism and I agree with your take that it does smell like a religion, and dogmatic at that.
  • I think the amazing athiest is rude to be rude and doesn't come off to me as very intelligent.

I like Hitchens approach because it is more of a debate than an irritated rant, and he comes across as very intelligent and focused which allows him to be blunt without being rude. Religion bothers him more than it bothers me, but he does make some good points.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I think it bothers me because in a way, they have become what they hate. At times, it can come off rather, "Don't push your beliefs on me, I'm going to push mine on you!"

But on the other hand, it's not like I don't understand that Christianity is the majority (in America and many other countries)... and it is nice to hear people being loud and open about alternate views. *shrugs*
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Agnostic Atheist"....? :wtf:

Is such a thing possible? :scratch:
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @ Federica

It just means that while I don't personally believe in any god(s), I don't believe that I can disprove one's existence. Just like no theist can 100% prove any god's existence.
  • It's an oxymoron to be quite blunt.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2012
    It would appear not - but I'm still not convinced....

http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutagnosticism/a/atheism.htm
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    "Agnostic Atheist"....? :wtf:

Is such a thing possible? :scratch:
    Have you learned nothing from me?
    Oh, hellooooooo my little absentee.....! :thumbsup:
  • @ Federica
    It just means that while I don't personally believe in any god(s), I don't believe that I can disprove one's existence. Just like no theist can 100% prove any god's existence.
    Why wouldn't this simply make you an agnostic? Or is this one of those hair-splitting things, a fine-tuning of definitions? You reject the idea of the existence of God, so that makes you an atheist. But you acknowledge that you can't definitively prove there's not God. That's the agnostic part. Is that how it works?

(Sorry, MG, I never did get the concept.)

yumi both....

I just think it's a bit of prevarication and gilding the lily....
    and if I'm completely honest, you might as well throw in 'Theist' as well, at this rate, because i just think fundamentally, anyone who sits that far across the fences is just hedging their bets and playing it safe.....
    I would much prefer people didn't pussyfoot around.
    Plant your staff and don't be so indecisive....!
    I was a R.Catholic for 40 years or so, and I'm damn sure of exactly which camp i fall into.

:thumbdown:
  • With Iran stepping up their war threats, stating that they will use pre-emptive strikes to secure their national interests, and conducting war games dubbed "Sarallah," or "God's Revenge," I can see why some people feel religion can be harmful towards humanity.

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    Religion has a function in people's lives that science can't provide. I think tolerance is essential to any ideological position.
  • edited February 2012
    Most atheists are agnostics. Most agnostics are atheists.
  • edited February 2012
    The definitions following are the modern usage of the words.

Theist: Belief in a deity.
    Atheist: Lack of a belief in a deity.
    Gnostic: Position that we can ultimately know whether or not a god exists.
    Agnostic: Position that we can't ultimately know whether or not god exists.

Gnosticism can also be known as a "Strong position" and Agnosticism known as a "Weak position."

So people can be 1 of 4 things.

Gnostic Theist: Belief that a god does exist, and we can ultimately know this is true.
    Gnostic Atheist: Belief that a god doesn't exist, and we can ultimately know this is true.
    Agnostic Theist: Belief that a god does exist, but we can't actually know if this is true.
    Agnostic Atheist: Lack of a belief in a god because we can't ultimately know if one exists.

Many religious people and theists are Gnostic Theists.
    Most self-proclaimed atheists and agnostics are Agnostic Atheists.

How to tell what you are:

Do you personally hold a distinct belief in a deity of any sort?

If you do not believe in a deity, you are an atheist.
    If you do believe in a deity, you are a theist.

Do you believe your position is absolutely correct?

If you do, you are gnostic.
    If you don't, you are agnostic.

Problems may occur when defining "deity." Deity is typically defined as: a recognized preternatural or supernatural immortal being, who may be thought of as holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, and respected by believers.

Buddhism, assuming you don't consider devas or Bodhisattvas deities, is typically seen as an Agnostic Atheistic religion, or even Apatheistic.

Apatheism is the belief that belief in a deity does not matter. It is typically seen as a form of Agnostic Atheism.
  • edited February 2012
    Here is a chart.

When I decided I was no longer a Christian, or a believer in God, I wanted to figure out the term to define my beliefs, as to let people accurately know what my beliefs were when I was asked.

After looking for a while, I considered myself an agnostic, but eventually found out that just calling myself an agnostic was not entirely accurate. Most agnostics do not hold any belief in a deity, making them atheists as well. So, I was actually an agnostic atheist.
    Nice post @Bekenze
    Do you believe your position is absolutely correct?

If you do, you are gnostic.
    If you don't, you are agnostic.

Buddhism, assuming you don't consider devas or Bodhisattvas deities, is typically seen as an Agnostic Atheistic religion, or even Apatheistic.
    I guess I wonder about the absolutely part with some question. I believe that whether a God (or the absolute nature of reality) exists or not is knowable I just don't think that I personally know it at this time. So I wonder where that puts me, I'd put myself more in the line of gnostic athiest but I'm not sure my position is absolutely correct. I have more confidence that the answer is knowable than in what the answer actually is.

What am I!? :existential crisis:
  • edited February 2012
    If you doubt you are absolutely correct, then you are probably agnostic.

I do not think a deity exists, in fact, I think the chance of that happening is very low, but I can not honestly say to myself that I am absolutely correct, because I admit knowledge about a deity existing is truly unknowable.

Think about it this way. Which one of these do you agree with the most?

I know God exists. (Gnostic Theist)
    I know God does not exist. (Gnostic Atheist)
    I think God exists. (Agnostic Theist)
    I think God doesn't exist. (Agnostic Atheist)
    what about the person who really doesn't care one way or the other, and prefers not to waste time pondering it, because there are more constructive things to do?

No allowance made for that category of person, i see......
    If you doubt you are absolutely correct, then you are probably agnostic.

I do not think a deity exists, in fact, I think the chance of that happening is very low, but I can not honestly say to myself that I am absolutely correct, because I admit knowledge about a deity existing is truly unknowable.

Think about it this way. Which one of these do you agree with the most?

I know God exists. (Gnostic Theist)
    I know God does not exist. (Gnostic Atheist)
    I think God exists. (Agnostic Theist)
    I think God doesn't exist. (Agnostic Atheist)
    Well, I think God doesn't exist but I believe that the existence or not of God is knowable. So I'd say I'm a gnostic athiest. But I'm not absolutely sure we can know so maybe I'm an agnostic gnostic athiest. :wtf:
  • edited February 2012
    what about the person who really doesn't care one way or the other, and prefers not to waste time pondering it, because there are more constructive things to do?
    You must have missed where I said that, my dear Federica. I said it is called Apatheism.
  • Apathy sounds negative to me, at least where I am from. What about Unboundism? So the name can be positive and celebratory.
  • @Jeffrey

Make a Wikipedia article on it and then it will become official. :p
  • Religion has a function in people's lives that science can't provide. I think tolerance is essential to any ideological position.
    For an example of not being tolerant, news today is that Iranian Courts convicted the converted Christian Pastor for apostasy, and gave him a death sentence.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    The new atheist movement (dawkins, hitchens and harris). is right in the face of modern religion. They basically believe that the fundamentalists are correct in their interpretation of religion in general and seem to react to them with that assumption.

I don't know what good it's doing. Religions like Christianity and Islam or Judaism seem harder for me to understand than say Buddhism or Taoism.

Just some quick thoughts.

And amazing athiest... sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I think he's too extreme and starts talking about stuff he doesn't know much about.

I think Buddhism is a sort of ;if you don't wanna have a religion, then fuck it don't be a buddhist who cares.' maybe filling your mind with buddhist ideas isn't for you.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Without the New Atheist movement. I would not be who I am right now.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    right on dude
  • A "new atheist movement" sounds like a religion.
  • Sounds like “religious; non religious; religiously non religious; non religiously religious“. their perception is based on self quantified love. It is for sure that this NA cant argue their way with the space or their own uncontrollable dream state arises when they are enjoying in deep sleep.
  • From what I remember the New Atheist movement's concern is to convert on-the-fence agnostics to committed atheists. NA thinking/persuasion is very black-and-white, very either/or. B&W thinking is also the pattern in fundamentalist religions. Oddly, I think the NA movement has been more successful converting B&W thinking fundamentalists to B&W thinking atheists. Sam Harris was very useful to me in my life, when I was emerging from a conservative evangelical faith.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    A "new atheist movement" sounds like a religion.

Buddhism seeks to go beyond views of this or that to get to no view, that is where wisdom is. Good is not the same as bad, Atheism isn't the same as Theism. They are a view though and the goal is to move beyond this/that dichotomy to wisdom.
  • Without the New Atheist movement. I would not be who I am right now.
    Sounds like any true adherant of a religion!
  • B5CB5C Veteran

It may change you, but it does not make it a religion.

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:

1.The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
    2.Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Atheism
    a·the·ism/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
    Noun:
    1. The theory or belief that God does not exist.

Not a religion.
  • lol just like all the justifications made by adherants of religions!
  • i think extreme atheists like dawkins are the correct antidote to extreme religious beliefs. for example the intelligent design thing in schools, killing for god or gods etc...
    edited February 2012
    The issue I have is that this brand of Atheism defines itself against Theism. So in the Buddhist sense it is a polarization and a negative reflection rather than a true negation.
  • edited February 2012
    Speaking as a possibly imaginary giant hedgehog, I suspect God is probably imaginary but I can't prove it.... ;)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

It may change you, but it does not make it a religion.

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:

1.The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
    2.Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Atheism
    a·the·ism/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
    Noun:
    1. The theory or belief that God does not exist.

Not a religion.
    You see things so black and white.

Here's another definition of religion that doesn't mention God or gods at all: "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith".

• I went to see Alain De Botton speak on just this topic last week. He is an atheist but rejects the hardline, intolerant, Dawkins-esque brand of atheism. Indeed, he suggests that there are aspects of religions that are of benefit to modern secular society. Have a look on Google or YouTube. He's an interesting guy.
  • Religion has a function in people's lives that science can't provide. I think tolerance is essential to any ideological position.
    For an example of not being tolerant, news today is that Iranian Courts convicted the converted Christian Pastor for apostasy, and gave him a death sentence.
    See, now, this is an argument I see made often by atheists. It's a strawman. Of course the example you provide is one of hideous intolerance. But I don't see logically how that in itself justifies intolerance on the other side. Are persecution and hate crimes worthy of intolerance? Yes, I'd say so. But faith does not automatically equate to persecution.

As for my own position, I'm an agnostic. But even if I was firmly religious or atheist, I imagine my response would be the same.

• B5CB5C Veteran
    But faith does not automatically equate to persecution.

"Study says religious people distrust atheists as much as rapists

+
    A new study by the University of B.C. says religious people distrust atheists more than they do persons from other religious groups, gays and feminists. The study found that the only group religious people distrust as much as atheists are rapists.
    The research involved six studies conducted with 350 American adults and nearly 420 university students in Canada. The study posed a number of hypothetical questions and scenarios to participants. In one of the studies, participants presented with description of an untrustworthy person found it to be more representative of an atheist than Muslims, Jews, gays and feminists.
    Gervais, according to RichardDawkins.net, said that the only group the participants distrusted as much as atheists was rapists.
    Doctoral student Will Gervais, according to Science Daily, co-authored the study with University of British Columbia Associate Prof. Ara Norenzayan and Azim Shariff of the University of Oregon. The study published in the online Journal of Personality and Social Psychology said the attitude of religious people to atheists has a significant impact on their welfare in society and often limits their job opportunities.
    According to Science Daily, Gervais observed:

"Where there are religious majorities (that is,in most of the world), atheists are among the least trusted people. With more than half a billion atheists worldwide, this prejudice has the potential to affect a substantial number of people."

Gervais said that the negative attitude to atheists is striking since atheist are not a "coherent, visible or powerful social group." According to Gervais:

“People are willing to hire an atheist for a job that is perceived as low-trust, for instance as a waitress. But when hiring for a high-trust job like daycare worker, they were like, nope, not going to hire an atheist for that job."

The researchers concluded that:

"Outward displays of belief in God may be viewed as a proxy for trustworthiness, particularly by religious believers who think that people behave better if they feel that God is watching them. While atheists may see their disbelief as a private matter on a metaphysical issue, believers may consider atheists' absence of belief as a public threat to cooperation and honesty."

Huffington Post reports that the study was significantly motivated by a Gallup poll survey which found that only 45 percent of Americans would vote for a qualified atheist as president. Gallup showed that this figure was the lowest among several hypothetical minority candidates, implying that atheists were the least trusted group in America.
    The researchers emphasized, however, that distrust was the major factor in the prejudice against atheists, not hatred or disgust. The researchers said that identifying distrust as the major factor in the prejudice against atheists would help to combat it.
    Atheists, however, do not return the hard feelings against them, the researchers say. According to Gervais, atheists tend to be indifferent to people's religious beliefs when assessing their trustworthiness:

“Atheists don’t necessarily favour other atheists over Christians or anyone else. They seem to think that religion is not an important signal for who you can trust."

http://digitaljournal.com/article/315425

"

• B5CB5C Veteran
    edited February 2012
    This is from liberal Rhode Island:

• And this study is of course representative of every single religious person... Studies and statistics can be skewed/sampled to serve confirmation bias.

You're on a Buddhist forum. Buddhism is (or can be seen as) a religion. If you're so anti-religion, why are you here? That's not said in a nasty tone, by the way. Hard to convey tone via the written word. Is it a "oh, but Buddhism's different" thing? Why, because you personally subscribe to it?
  • I'm really finding it interesting that people on a Buddhist forum are trying to find arguments to justify intolerance....
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited February 2012
    And this study is of course representative of every single religious person... Studies and statistics can be skewed/sampled to serve confirmation bias.

You're on a Buddhist forum. Buddhism is (or can be seen as) a religion. If you're so anti-religion, why are you here? That's not said in a nasty tone, by the way. Hard to convey tone via the written word. Is it a "oh, but Buddhism's different" thing? Why, because you personally subscribe to it?
    You haven't heard of Stephen Batchelor? The only reason it became an religions because others turned it into an religion. I don't the Buddha wanted to create an freaking a religion with monasteries, monks, and spirits.

• See, now, this is an argument I see made often by atheists. It's a strawman. Of course the example you provide is one of hideous intolerance. But I don't see logically how that in itself justifies intolerance on the other side. Are persecution and hate crimes worthy of intolerance? Yes, I'd say so. But faith does not automatically equate to persecution.
    I do not know every statement made by these new atheist but as far as i know the only reason they attack belief is because of the irrational and inhuman thinking that comes with some beliefs. Like discriminating other people because they dont share the same belief etc... I dont think they attack belief per se, i doubt they would say anything against someone who says "oh i believe in a god but that doesnt change my behaviour towards other people."

If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us. ~Hermann Hesse

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us. ~Hermann Hesse

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Which is true. You don't see that many atheists going around trying to ban religion. The only thing that Atheists want to ban is religion in government.