Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Something I have noticed lately... is it possible..???

edited April 2012 in Buddhism Today
..that we are being prepared, whether through conscious action or by subconscious action directed by an impulse of some kind, for contact with extraterrestrial beings or species? Ok, now before you laugh me out of here (and believe me, if I were you sitting in your chair reading this, I would be prepared to do just that), please let me explain a bit.

First and foremost, when it comes to skeptics about such things as ghosts, aliens, monsters, bigfoot, psychic powers, etc, I am one of the biggest. While I don't discount that anything is possible, I also do not give my belief easily to that which cannot be either proven, or directly experienced by myself in some fashion or another. Hence, my love of Buddhism, and it's pratical approach to enlightenment, without all the "magic", while still allowing for people's belief in it - not negating or condemning it as in many religions.

Ok, now that the disclaimer is complete - lately, I have been watching some shows about aliens on Science Channel, Nat Geo, The History Channel and others - shows like "Ancient Aliens", "Alien Encounter", even "Through the Wormhole" with Morgan Freeman - and in every show, they have made a statment similar to 'we may one day encounter an alien species, and that day may come much sooner than you think.' Even Michio Kaku, who is an highly esteemed scientist, has predicted that we WILL make contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence within the next 40 years. Add on top of that movies such as "The Tree of Life," which had some very heavy and symbolic imagery related to cosmic evolution, or the movie "Malencholia" by Lars Von Trier about an undiscovered planet coming into contact with the earth, or even "Another Earth" about - well another earth - I could go on and on.

Within the last week or 2, I have had a very strong sense that we as a race are being prepared for something that is going to happen soon. And I am not saying it is some big conspiracy or anything. It is just as likely that there is something moving in the collective subconscious that is manifesting itself on our material plane. But I still can't help but think that something - something big and new and out of this world (bad pun) - is coming. And this doesn't even take into account the whole 2012 thing, which I don't really buy into.

So my question is this : am I the only person who has noticed this? Have you had moments where you might have thought, "gee, it's weird that they said _____ ", or "wow, this is like the 10th show about ____ I've seen this year - what's up with that?" Or maybe some other anomalous or strange event/feeling/intuition? I am curious to hear what others here think, especially given the fact that there really isn't much discourse, direction or content about any of this in Buddhist text or doctrine that I know of.

As always - many blessings : )

Kwan Kev

Comments

• There is no such thing as reality TV.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2012
    nothing wrong with watching these shows, they are well done and very compelling.

but just watch this guy videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/V00D00SIXXX/videos

he goes trough a bunch of these shows and analyze (dissect) them
    (the silly ones)
  • I know it can sound very silly, and easy to dismiss as "craziness" - especially for the skeptical, such as myself. And I am old, wise and discerning enough to know not to believe everything/anything I see on tv, internet, books, etc. I was merely wondering if anyone else had any intuition about any of this, that's all.

: )
  • There are billions of suns! One or two must have advance life ... sure, why not. It would be ignorant to believe it's just us.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    You are exposing yourself to these thoughts, ideas, findings -- it's only conclusive that as a result you are more aware of these scenarios.

Wonder whether you will still have this sense of connection once you shift your interests.....
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @Kev...you have fallen prey to television ratings.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I believe your "very strong sense that we as a race are being prepared for something that is going to happen soon" is coming from your interest and wowness from watching these shows... I agree that the possibility of other life in the universe is real, and that does stir curiosity in the possibilities, but I never get the the feeling that we are being groomed for anything, have made contact, or any secret dealings have occured.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @Kwantum_Kev. You are being prepared to be disappointed in many ways... then die.
    Everything you know and love and care about is impermanent... any big cosmic meaning you are giving life is a fabrication in your mind. All will be lost. The movie will end.

So what are you going to do?

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Cool thread.
    @Kwantum_Kev. You are being prepared to be disappointed in many ways... then die.
    Everything you know and love and care about is impermanent... any big cosmic meaning you are giving life is a faibrication in your mind. All will be lost. The movie will end.

So what are you going to do?

I like what you have said.
  • edited April 2012
    @RichardH - you must be a blast at parties! Lol : ) While I understand the truth in what you have said, I do think it comes off as quite nihilist - something that is often dsicussed at length in this forum. But, as you wish.

One could easily say the same thing about the doctors trying to help cancer patients, the space program, fighting childhood ilness, painting, vounteering at animal hospitals - we/they are all going to die anyway, right? So why take an interest?

I prefer to take a more positive, inquisitive approach towards life, knowing that in the end, yes - all is impermanent. But I do not believe that there is no 'meaning' to life - nor do I believe that is a strictly Buddhist belief. What you speak of reminds me more of nihilistic atheism than Buddhism my friend - but that's just my opinion. It seems to me that often, those who wish to "expound" their Buddhist wisdom say things like that - yet I don't recall ever hearing HHDL ever say anything close to that. I wonder why that is? Perhaps because while what you say is true, and something we need to know and reckon with inside ourselves, it does not necessarily have to color everything we say with the sense that all is death, and nothing matters - which is what I, in my ignorance, naviety and simple mind, got out of your comment.

I will continue to wonder, question, seek, laugh, love and enjoy what time I have on this planet, knowing that in doing so, I am benifiting all sentient beings by keeping my mind and heart open to all that is.

Many Blessings -

KwanKev
    MaryAnne
  • @Lady_Alison - thank you for answering in the spirit intended : ) I too believe, as do many other people, that the universe is just too big for it to be just us here. And personally, I find it fun to wonder about - have since I was a kid.

Many Blessings -

KwanKev
  • I'm having a hard time with the concept of using Buddhism to defend the belief that we are being prepared for an ET introduction
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    @Lady_Alison - thank you for answering in the spirit intended : ) I too believe, as do many other people, that the universe is just too big for it to be just us here. And personally, I find it fun to wonder about - have since I was a kid.

Many Blessings -

KwanKev
    Also, don't forget the theories of multiple universes, and adjacent universes, and other dimensions. The possibilities for other intelligent life forms would seem to be quite high.
  • Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @Lady_Alison - thank you for answering in the spirit intended : ) I too believe, as do many other people, that the universe is just too big for it to be just us here. And personally, I find it fun to wonder about - have since I was a kid.

Many Blessings -

KwanKev
    I don't want to be murdered for my belief but whether microscopic or macroscopic ...both have held such wonder and have convinced me of the existence of a supreme Creator.

Imagination and ingenuity is what pushed the very best scientists.
  • @Telly03 - I am not trying to "use" Buddhism to defend anything. I am trying to say that the assertion that there is no meaning to life is a core Buddhist belief, to me, does not seem to be an entirely accurate assessment.

As I stated in my initial post - I am merely curious to see if anyone else has had similar thoughts, and that it is a subject there is no real discussion about in Buddhist text, so I thought it would be interesting to ask. That's all. I figure if we can discuss abortion, the government, nuclear power, sex and other topics, why not aliens?

:S

Many Blessings -

KwanKev
  • Your right @Kwantum_Kev , my apologies
  • Direct answer to OP- I have not noticed this feeling.
  • @telly03 you can prepare the Thanksgiving feast when they come and descend on us. A real Hawaiian feast, even! Lol

Smoked pig! Luau
  • @telly03 you can prepare the Thanksgiving feast when they come and descend on us. A real Hawaiian feast, even! Lol

Smoked pig! Luau
    Yep, I better start practicing to make sure I get it right :) You only have one shot at the first impression

• ZeroZero Veteran
    So my question is this : am I the only person who has noticed this? Have you had moments where you might have thought, "gee, it's weird that they said _____ ", or "wow, this is like the 10th show about ____ I've seen this year - what's up with that?" Or maybe some other anomalous or strange event/feeling/intuition?
    Tv /film / entertainment sort of follows a pattern - there's a rough formula - so if we all start watching a particular show then it creates a trend and based on viewing figures, there's then a demand for competition and then there is a wave of supply to meet demand and the demand feeds the supply - then there's saturation and it all starts again.

We now have opportunity to access almost all of the output simultaneously - if your interest is sparked by a trend, there is an immense volume of data available simultaneously.

Are 'they' bombarding you? Yes - but its most likely driven by sales... and if you switched the channel, you would see proportionately more topics that are not concerned with your chosen trend.

I havent felt like anything is going to reveal itself any more now than it has in the past - that said, every day is an adventure and something fascinatingly amazing reveals itself.

I know a person who saw a UFO first hand - straight up - I have to ponder because this person is not profiteering / doesnt care whether you believe or not / is honest, kind, outwardly normal - I havent seen any aliens yet but I'm definitely up for meeting them if theyre around - first question, any thoughts on god / religion? second, WTF is quantum mechanics about? Third, are you seriously as stupid as me? bah!
  • I've thought about why our planet is alone with life. One weird idea would be that we are in a prison of sorts. Banished to a solar system devoid of life. And we don't get to rejoin the galactic society until we reach what we call Nirvana.

I've always thought it was strange that the other planets in our solar system don't have life what so ever. We can't even confirm if there's life in the form of bacteria on any other planet in the solar system. Sure, the conditions for life are very strict and particular, but out of 9 planets (I count Pluto too), there's only ONE that has any form of life? Suspiciously strange.
  • We're either alone in the universe or not. Either truth is staggering.
    So my question is this : am I the only person who has noticed this? Have you had moments where you might have thought, "gee, it's weird that they said _____ ", or "wow, this is like the 10th show about ____ I've seen this year - what's up with that?" Or maybe some other anomalous or strange event/feeling/intuition?
    Tv /film / entertainment sort of follows a pattern - there's a rough formula - so if we all start watching a particular show then it creates a trend and based on viewing figures, there's then a demand for competition and then there is a wave of supply to meet demand and the demand feeds the supply - then there's saturation and it all starts again.

We now have opportunity to access almost all of the output simultaneously - if your interest is sparked by a trend, there is an immense volume of data available simultaneously.

Are 'they' bombarding you? Yes - but its most likely driven by sales... and if you switched the channel, you would see proportionately more topics that are not concerned with your chosen trend.

I havent felt like anything is going to reveal itself any more now than it has in the past - that said, every day is an adventure and something fascinatingly amazing reveals itself.

I know a person who saw a UFO first hand - straight up - I have to ponder because this person is not profiteering / doesnt care whether you believe or not / is honest, kind, outwardly normal - I havent seen any aliens yet but I'm definitely up for meeting them if theyre around - first question, any thoughts on god / religion? second, WTF is quantum mechanics about? Third, are you seriously as stupid as me? bah!
    That was awesome!:)
    I've thought about why our planet is alone with life. One weird idea would be that we are in a prison of sorts. Banished to a solar system devoid of life. And we don't get to rejoin the galactic society until we reach what we call Nirvana.

I've always thought it was strange that the other planets in our solar system don't have life what so ever. We can't even confirm if there's life in the form of bacteria on any other planet in the solar system. Sure, the conditions for life are very strict and particular, but out of 9 planets (I count Pluto too), there's only ONE that has any form of life? Suspiciously strange.
    Great points!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I don't watch those shows, I follow politics, so I have a feeling the world is coming to an end.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @RichardH - you must be a blast at parties! Lol : ) While I understand the truth in what you have said, I do think it comes off as quite nihilist - something that is often dsicussed at length in this forum. But, as you wish.

One could easily say the same thing about the doctors trying to help cancer patients, the space program, fighting childhood ilness, painting, vounteering at animal hospitals - we/they are all going to die anyway, right? So why take an interest?

I prefer to take a more positive, inquisitive approach towards life, knowing that in the end, yes - all is impermanent. But I do not believe that there is no 'meaning' to life - nor do I believe that is a strictly Buddhist belief. What you speak of reminds me more of nihilistic atheism than Buddhism my friend - but that's just my opinion. It seems to me that often, those who wish to "expound" their Buddhist wisdom say things like that - yet I don't recall ever hearing HHDL ever say anything close to that. I wonder why that is? Perhaps because while what you say is true, and something we need to know and reckon with inside ourselves, it does not necessarily have to color everything we say with the sense that all is death, and nothing matters - which is what I, in my ignorance, naviety and simple mind, got out of your comment.

I will continue to wonder, question, seek, laugh, love and enjoy what time I have on this planet, knowing that in doing so, I am benifiting all sentient beings by keeping my mind and heart open to all that is.

Many Blessings -

KwanKev
    The First Noble Truth is what the Buddha expounded . .... and it seems like a very serious downer... kind of hard core. It invites us to not run from it, but to be right there in ...to be honest... the very last place we want to be.. Through that gutsy practice... there is realization of great Joy. It isn't a superhuman feat, but it does take commitment... and lots of people know a kind of freedom and joy that is otherwise impossible.. Just being a Buddhist forum and all.. eh?

Anyway.. I would love a big historic alien revealing evolutionary quantum leap thing..

Sure.

• More recently they have found 'super earths' in our galaxy. They are planets that orbit giant red dwarfs which are dying stars. However, they are really quite close to these stars so can receive a nice bit of heat, but not too much. It is thought they contain water and there are hundreds of them known to scientist now. Although they are about (if I can remember), 45 light years away.
  • Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
    edited April 2012
    More recently they have found 'super earths' in our galaxy. They are planets that orbit giant red dwarfs which are dying stars. However, they are really quite close to these stars so can receive a nice bit of heat, but not too much. It is thought they contain water and there are hundreds of them known to scientist now. Although they are about (if I can remember), 45 light years away.
    So we can't go there and be back before dinner.?

We need some of that intergalactic orange spice...mua'dib!
  • No sorry Alsion, we cannot. Plsu dinner suck anyway, it is what I cooked, meatball surprise. The surprise is that the meat is not meat, but in fact tightly compact compost dyed with meat colouring and falvour. Your orange spice is fyutile here :shake:
  • edited April 2012
    @RichardH - thank you for the thoughtful reply. And thanks to all who offered up their thoughts on this. I have always found it an intriguing subject, and remember thinking to myself when I was a child gazing up at the night sky and thinking of all the billions of stars out there - why? All of this and it's just us? Seems quite a waste of space (pun warning) to me.

@still_learning - VERY cool thoughts! Quite interesting to ponder.

@Zero - you really captured it well, and I appreciate you sharing about your friend. Like the list of questions too! (what IS up with quantum mechanics...??? Lol)

@lamaramadingdong - classic quote, thanks for sharing.

And as far as the whole 'marketing' aspect of it and the way the entertainment industry serves up what we demand, if it comes down to yet another "reality" show about people buying/selling/finding/catching something, or even better, another house full of 20 somethings getting drunk, fighting and - well, you know - I'll take shows about aliens any day! LOL. Of course, some shows about the Eightfold Path, the Four Noble Truths and such would be nice too - but I fear they might be even more rare than UFO sightings ; )

Many Blessings to all,

KwanKev