Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Combat! Begin

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
edited June 2012 in General Banter
From another thread (I hope the mods don't get mad at me! It's just a little dharma combat.)

@PHennings12
It's not that it "is" any of those things spoken.
But you just said it's a block of wood. If it's not a block of wood, then why did you say it's a block of wood?
It means that your perceptions of what I have said are in the realm of intellectualization.
How do you know what my perceptions are? I'm asking YOU the question!
Meaning you stick with describing your feelings of things and explaining what you know through words. What I am talking about is much deeper than what has been said.
But yet you keep on talking and saying this is chan, that is chan, this is chan. If it's not the words but it's deeper than the words, then why do you keep trying to describe it with words?
A block of wood, a drop of water, a hard boiled egg, they are all the same.
If they are the same, then why can you not eat a block of wood for breakfast and why can you not build a house with hard boiled eggs?
To realize this is to experience Ch'an. Ch'an itself is unable to be described in words.
If that is the case, then why did you even ask people to describe it with words and why do you continue to try to describe it with words? Why do you keep opening your mouth?!
All that can be said about it is what we experience with it. Movement and stillness. That is Ch'an. Breathing and not breathing. That is Ch'an. Thinking and not thinking. That is Ch'an. Experiencing and not experiencing. That is Ch'an. Living and dying. That is Ch'an. All that can be thought of and that can not be thought of is Ch'an.
That is a load of bullshit! Just more talking! Stick out your tongue so I can chop it off and feed it to a pack of wild dogs! Her doggy doggy! :) Bark, Bark, woof, woof!

p.s. Ok people don't freak out. It's called Dharma Combat, it's a "zenny" thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharma_combat

A little good natured dharma combat never killed anyone, or perhaps it has, now wouldn't that be something!

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Dharma combat is an oxymoron.

Is there anything that doesn't get justifyed or enhanced with a "ZEN" prefix these days?

I hope this thread can show this zafu pilot how the ego can be softened or disolved with it.
  • i dont like how dharma combat sounds, it's not combat it's teaching.. like a nice go game between a 9 dan and a 10 kyu... if two masters or 9 dans go up against each other it's not combat of a aggressive nature its a type of refinement that a knife goes up against a stone for.. when you get to a certain level that's how it is.. trust me, because i'm not even close to that level yet :D
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    In a sense they are the very same thing. An egg being boiled over a fire would be a part of the same scene and contain all three within it. If I look at a hard boiled egg, I can see the water that boiled it and the water that nourished the chicken who hatched it. I can see the flame or other heat source and that which it devours. All of this in one little egg.

Everything is a unique aspect of everything else.

Unique aspects of the same thing.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    The wind blows neither here or there.
  • I know it's supposed to be deep, but comments in the OP are hilarious!
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    The wind blows neither here or there.
    :D
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Why do you keep opening your mouth?!
    I agree. I think even the Buddha wouldn't tire of hitting @PHennings12 repeatedly in the clack with a Keisaku stick.

(I'm joking obviously)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Many a true word said in jest.... ;)

In absence of the Buddha as a contributing member, we Moderators have elected to carry out that specific task on his behalf, in any and all situations, without bias or prejudice.
    Combat unarguably ends with us.

Let's all be careful out there....
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    seeker242
    But yet you keep on talking and saying this is chan, that is chan, this is chan. If it's not the words but it's deeper than the words, then why do you keep trying to describe it with words?
    When I yell at a mountain, is it the mountain's understanding which causes the avalanche?

I'm not saying PHennings' approach was correct, but there is a reason to talk about zen without actually being able to explain it in words. I think such avalanches require a great deal of skill to cause, however.
  • Did PHennings agree to this challenge?

Also are we invited and should this even be a public spectacle?

Why am I being so serious?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Did PHennings agree to this challenge?
    It's not obligatory....
    Also are we invited and should this even be a public spectacle?
    I didn't see any specifics in the thread title....
    Why am I being so serious?
    Nobody needs to be serious.
    Except me, that is....
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    On a sidenote, I've often wondered how so many Zen practitioners seem to throw Right speech out the window.

I fail to see how being disrespectful could be considered "zenny" if "zenniness" is any sort of Buddhist attribute.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    seeker242
    When I yell at a mountain, is it the mountain's understanding which causes the avalanche?

Why would you yell at a mountain, mountain don't have ears! They can't hear you, it's just a big lump of rocks and dirt! If you go around yelling at mountains, people might start thinking you are crazy. Sort of like those poor people in the city who sit there and talk to the garbage can!

Gravity and an unbalanced snow pack is what causes avalanches. When one layer of snow is thicker than another. Because of gravity, the thicker layer becomes too heavy and eventually gives way and then WOOSH! Rumble, rumble, rumble.

However, in a populated area, sometimes people cause avalanches. They do it by shooting a large artillery round up into the side of the mountain. They shoot it off and it goes BOOM! And then it goes Woosh!, rumble rumble rumble.

Teachers in my school of zen call this "coming full circle". Or having a "360 degree mind". So at 180 degree mind, there is "no form, no emptiness". But if you stay at 180 degrees, you get stuck in "emptiness". One who is stuck at 180 is said to be "attached to emptiness" and not living in "the true space". At 270 degrees, they call this "freedom mind" because "form is emptiness and emptiness is form". But this is still not the "true space" either because you can not eat a block of wood for breakfast. However, when one comes "full circle" as they call it. This is the original position or 360 degree mind. A position where "form is form and emptiness is emptiness", once again. The interesting thing about 360 degree mind is that it's the same as 0 degree mind! So given that, everyone already understands chan because it's quite ordinary and not some "special thing" that one has to go out and "understand" because you already understand it. I like the circle analogy teaching. It's a good one!

:)
    On a sidenote, I've often wondered how so many Zen practitioners seem to throw Right speech out the window.

I fail to see how being disrespectful could be considered "zenny" if "zenniness" is any sort of Buddhist attribute.
    Because if the two people are not attached to words, then it doesn't matter what they say to each other. They could both call each other "complete idiot assholes" and then they would just both start laughing.
  • seeker242
    I'm not saying PHennings' approach was correct, but there is a reason to talk about zen without actually being able to explain it in words.
    AHA!! Mr. @PrairieGhost and Mr. @seeker242 are on the right path to understanding. They are the closest yet so far to answering the question which Mr. Lincoln closed. Keep going, guys. You almost have it!
  • Let us be clear here. This is not a challenge. This is a discussion. We are discussing something beyond what our words can give us an understanding of. The whole point of this discussion about Ch'an is NOT to explain.
    edited June 2012
    So are you going to answer my questions or not? Or do you simply not know how to answer them?! Answer the questions and stop side stepping them! :) Keep going? We almost have it? Almost have what? A cup of tea? Everyone already has a cup of tea! Actually, I don't have a cup of tea this morning. I have a cup of coffee and it's very hot. Who here has never had a cup of tea or coffee? It seems to me that most everyone already has!
    edited June 2012

Because if the two people are not attached to words, then it doesn't matter what they say to each other. They could both call each other "complete idiot assholes" and then they would just both start laughing.
    The point being "2 people". If only one person feels like that, the other will not comprehend the lack of attachment, and may well take offence, which is absolutely their prerogative.
    Right speech means being mindful, and watching what you say.
    Whether people would just start laughing is beside the point.
    Offensive is still offensive.

Edit note:
    On Lincoln's personal absence - I'm Lincoln. ;)

edited June 2012
    Let us be clear here. This is not a challenge. This is a discussion. We are discussing something beyond what our words can give us an understanding of. The whole point of this discussion about Ch'an is NOT to explain.
    This is not your thread.
    It is not your place to say what this discussion is - or is not - about.
    If you can't explain, make your exit now.
    don't start contributing vacuous, meaningless pseudo-deep zen~ish-statements.
    they really just make you look like an ass.....

edited June 2012

The point being "2 people". If only one person feels like that, the other will not comprehend the lack of attachment, and may well take offence, which is absolutely their prerogative.
    Right speech means being mindful, and watching what you say.
    Whether people would just start laughing is beside the point.
    Offensive is still offensive.

Edit note:
    On Lincoln's personal absence - I'm Lincoln. ;)

Yes, I agree. :) That is why it's not appropriate to call someone an asshole when you know beforehand that they would be offended by it. However, when you know beforehand that they would not, then you can pretty much say anything you want! On more than one occasion I have called a zen master an asshole and told him to shut the F$%& up! All he did was smile. PHennings12 has demonstrated to me that he would smile at this and not take offense. I like him! Someone who can take a punch and not get hurt, at least is seems that way. That is a good thing IMO. :)

If you can't take a punch now, just from some little words. You are going to be in big trouble when the biggest punch of all, comes calling, with the grim reaper at it's side. These little words are child's play compared to that! If you can't handle these little words, then how in the world are you going to handle that?! You're going to be in big trouble! :)
    edited June 2012
    He's not being asked to take a punch.
    He' being asked to be polite and respectful, and to not be maddeningly argumentative, because that's commonly called flaming/trolling, and is unacceptable forum etiquette.
    As has been said many time before, this isn't a democracy, and what Lincoln says, goes.
  • seeker242
    If you go around yelling at mountains, people might start thinking you are crazy.
    Yeah, I yell at them too :) .
  • Let us be clear here. This is not a challenge. This is a discussion. We are discussing something beyond what our words can give us an understanding of. The whole point of this discussion about Ch'an is NOT to explain.
    +10
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    If you can't take a punch now, just from some little words. You are going to be in big trouble when the biggest punch of all, comes calling, with the grim reaper at it's side. These little words are child's play compared to that! If you can't handle these little words, then how in the world are you going to handle that?! You're going to be in big trouble! :)
    You punch a new Buddhist with words no more than you would throw a full-speed sidekick at a new martial arts student. When you forget the skill level of your partners, that is when a moderator intervenes.
    I'm Lincoln. ;)
    Egads! :eek2:
  • If you can't take a punch now, just from some little words. You are going to be in big trouble when the biggest punch of all, comes calling, with the grim reaper at it's side. These little words are child's play compared to that! If you can't handle these little words, then how in the world are you going to handle that?! You're going to be in big trouble! :)
    You punch a new Buddhist with words no more than you would throw a full-speed sidekick at a new martial arts student. When you forget the skill level of your partners, that is when a moderator intervenes.
    I didn't know Buddhism was so violent.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

AHA!! Mr. @PrairieGhost and Mr. @seeker242 are on the right path to understanding.
    Just... wow... :skeptic:
    Let us be clear here. This is not a challenge. This is a discussion. We are discussing something beyond what our words can give us an understanding of. The whole point of this discussion about Ch'an is NOT to explain.
    Then why are you even on a discussion forum?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor
  • I didn't know Buddhism was so violent.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor
    +10
  • vacuous, meaningless pseudo-deep zen~ish-statements.
    they really just make you look like an ass.....

Speaking as an ass, I take offence to this. The pong of "Zen" on this thread does not rise to genuine ass-ness.. IMhO.

Zen teacher don't hit you with a stick 30 times for no reason!
    He's not being asked to take a punch.
    He' being asked to be polite and respectful, and to not be maddeningly argumentative, because that's commonly called flaming/trolling, and is unacceptable forum etiquette.
    As has been said many time before, this isn't a democracy, and what Lincoln says, goes.
    So Lincon is "the man" or "the opressor"?! I always thought Lincon was an abolitionist! Damm those history books! Lying to us all along!

As for the punching. I was really only referring to me punching people who can actually handle it. I was only talking about my own punches, not other people's. But yes, some people do go punching people when it would actually hurt someone else. That is not appropriate. :) For example, I could call Richard an asshole and I'm sure he wouldn't mind that. :lol:
    edited June 2012
    Little known fact: My dog is The Oppressor™, and I only carry out his demands.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

HHmmm.
    Such an educating thread. Makes me wonder how young I must of been to be attracted to Zen.
    Zen on this thread so far seems to be about vacuous statements, a lack of empathy, judgementalism of others, adversarial behaviour and the apparent belief that one can be free of karmic responsibilities.
    It clearly answered my question of whether Dharma combat, hardens or softens the Ego.

• If you can't take a punch now, just from some little words. You are going to be in big trouble when the biggest punch of all, comes calling, with the grim reaper at it's side. These little words are child's play compared to that! If you can't handle these little words, then how in the world are you going to handle that?! You're going to be in big trouble! :)
    Zen teacher don't hit you with a stick 30 times for no reason!
    -10 for excessive use of imagination.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2012

HHmmm.
    Such an educating thread. Makes me wonder how young I must of been to be attracted to Zen.
    Zen on this thread so far seems to be about vacuous statements, a lack of empathy, judgementalism of others, adversarial behaviour and the apparent belief that one can be free of karmic responsibilities.
    It clearly answered my question of whether Dharma combat, hardens or softens the Ego.

Two things.

This is internet chat about what Zen Buddhist teacher Charlotte Joko Beck called "Zen bullshit", and what too many people think Zen Buddhism is about..

.....and your statement about how immature you would have to be, to be attracted to Zen, based on apparently nothing more that what you are reading on internet chat.. is....
    vacuous statements, a lack of empathy, judgementalism of others, adversarial behaviour
    .... In a way I don't blame you for seeing it that way.. Zen more than any other stream of Buddhism has been popularized and celebrated as a mannerism. But like I say to my theravadin friends... it's a good idea to go to a Zen Sangha and engage it, and not judge Zen by "Internet Zen masters". It is a good idea to not judge Buddhism in general by the legions of the Enlightened online...

...and also, speaking as an old Theravadin myself... don't get uppity on other traditions.. it makes Theravadins look like chauvinsts. thats also an internet thing...

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @RichardH
    Well, It's not another tradition for me, its family.
    It's where I've lost the hair on my knees and ankles, doing zafu flights.

But my post does sound a bit like the religeous version of, in my day you had to milk 12 cows and break a new 4 mile walk through drifting snow just to get to school.

God, I've become my parents!
  • My dog The Oppressor™,
    +10
    @ozen Are you keeping tallysheets of all this?
    edited June 2012

Offending the other person is only a part of why I mentioned it. I'm surely not offended and it doesn't look like PHennings12 is offended but for one, there are other people besides us reading and for two, it is a breeding ground for negativity. I mean think about it... Why choose those words? It isn't for no reason whatsoever.

It isn't just about your thread or this forum or anything like that but I see a big difference in the style of Zen that would have teachers yelling "Mu" and hitting people with sticks and the style of Zen brought to us through Thich Nhat Hanh and the like.

Just a general comment/observation. I feel it misses something but I clean my glass daily so what do I know.

• @ozen Are you keeping tallysheets of all this?
    Yup. My money in on The Oppressor™ pup.
    edited June 2012

HHmmm.

Have you ever heard the statement "What you see in the world is a reflection of yourself"? That is a important statement! Especially when you are judging things.
    Zen Master Nansen saw the monks of the eastern and western halls fighting over a baby cat. He seized the cat and said, "If (any of) you can say (a word of Zen), you can spare the cat. Otherwise I will kill it." No one could answer. So Nansen cut the cat in two and killed it .

That evening Joshu returned and Nansen told him what had happened. Joshu thereupon took off his sandals and, placing them on his head, walked away. Nansen said, "If only you had been there, you could have saved the cat."
    Some guy putting a shoe on his head, in order to save a cat from being killed by a zen master, seems pretty juvenile, at first sight. A Zen Master monk even killed a baby cat! That is just completely and utterly ridiculous!! That is what I thought at first too. So much so that I said to myself. "Well, that is stupid, what is this bullshit??That is ridiculous, zen is complete nonsense!" Then I went looking into Tibetan Buddhism and other kinds of Buddhism and forgot about zen.

Then after a while I realized that some guy putting shoes on his head and walking away, sounds pretty nonsensical, but it actually isn't! It seems like a vacuous statement, but it's actually a very profound one. The question now is, what does some ridiculous act like putting shoes on your head, actually mean? It means more than it seems. This is precisely why zen is called a "special transmission outside the scriptures, not dependent on words and speech"

Since zen is not dependent on words, and you continue to attach to the words, a true understanding of what all this apparently nonsensical/juvenile/adversarial stuff means will never arise and your true eyes will remain closed to what "zen" really means.

Long ago in China there was a famous student of Zen Master Ma Jo named Han Ong. This is Han Ong's famous questions, "What is happiness? What is sadness?" His whole life he used only this speech to teach other people. Outside, happiness appears, luck appears, sadness appears, but he is not moving. "What is true happiness? What is sadness?" Not moving. This mind is very important. Originally there is nothing. If you attach to something, then you have luck, happiness, sadness, suffering, juvenile, offensive, good, bad, -- everything appears.

If you don't attach, this is clear mind. Then there is no sadness, no happiness, no unhappiness, no juvenile, no offensive, no I, my, me, mine -- they all disappear. So if you attach to name and form, if you attach to words, then your mind is also moving. Don't attach to anything. Then your mind is enough. Then appearing, disappearing, whatever happens outside doesn't matter. This means your mind moving is no good. If you make happiness, if you make sadness, that's no good. Don't make anything; don't attach to anything; don't hold anything.

A monk asked Zen Master Ummon,"What is Buddha?" Ummon answered him, "Dried shit on a stick."

Sounds pretty dumb, but it actually isn't if you look past the words.

Take this for example
    CASE 37. JOSHU'S OAK TREE IN THE GARDEN

A monk asked Joshu, "With what intention did Bodhidharma come to China?" Joshu answered, "The oak tree in the front garden."

Mumon's Comments:
    If you grasp Joshu's answer precisely, there is no Shakyamuni Buddha before you and no Maitreya Buddha after you.

Words do not express fact,
    Phrases do not reveal the delicate motion of mind.
    He who accepts words is lost,
    He who adheres to phrases is deluded.
    Bodhidharma come to China because of an oak tree in the garden? That's nonsensical! But only if you attach to the words.

p.s.

Buddhist practice is supposed to be a joyful experience! People who are joyful have a sense of humor and they can laugh. They are happy. Why does it appear that there is not much happiness being shown here in this thread? Is it because of the thread or is it because of the one reading the thread? I think it's the latter since one's own mind makes everything one sees. How you see things is a reflection of yourself. Buddhist teacher have always known this. I do think it's quite interesting now though that modern day western psychology now happens to agree.
    edited June 2012
    I see a big difference in the style of Zen that would have teachers yelling "Mu" and hitting people with sticks and the style of Zen brought to us through Thich Nhat Hanh and the like.

If you look into how things are conducted at the head Soto Zen temple, Eihei-ji, in Japan, founded by Master Dogen circa 800 years ago, things go on VERY differently there. It is a VERY different style compared to Thich Nhat Hanh and the like. But, it's still a zen temple and they still teach zen practice. They just smack you with a stick and occasionally shout at you. They might even actually punch you, lol. :)
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    seeker242, that was a beautiful post, thankyou for it.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @RichardH

This is internet chat about what Zen Buddhist teacher Charlotte Joko Beck called "Zen bullshit", and what too many people think Zen Buddhism is about..

I love it!

Another version..fertilizing the ego under a teaching hat.

Zen spoiler
    If something softens ego, explore it.
    If something hardens ego, drop it.

Dropped..
    I see a big difference in the style of Zen that would have teachers yelling "Mu" and hitting people with sticks and the style of Zen brought to us through Thich Nhat Hanh and the like.

If you look into how things are conducted at the head Soto Zen temple, Eihei-ji, in Japan, founded by Master Dogen circa 800 years ago, things go on VERY differently there. It is a VERY different style compared to Thich Nhat Hanh and the like. But, it's still a zen temple and they still teach zen practice. They just smack you with a stick and occasionally shout at you. They might even actually punch you, lol. :)
    I'm well aware of Dogen and that is the first real brand of Buddhism I studied as I was studying Taoism and it's just a natural direction from there. Yes, it's different than the Vietnamese style. I would probably burst out in laughter if a master hit me with a stick or started yelling at me. Not because of Satori but good old fashioned amusement. I wouldn't be able to take them seriously after that, lol. That's just me, mind you.

I wasn't really trying to steer off into this tangent, but to me it seems like going out of our way to use negative terms shows attachment rather than non-attachment.

Not a big deal or anything, I just find it curious. Harsh speech is harsh speech afterall. If two monks weren't attached being clean maybe if they spat on each other they could laugh that off too. Doesn't make it skillful practice by any means though.
    edited June 2012
    Negative terms are made negative by one's own mind, if you don't make them negative, they aren't negative, especially if you are not the one being spoken to!
    edited June 2012
    Negative terms are made negative by one's own mind, if you don't make them negative, they aren't negative, especially if you are not the one being spoken to!
    I think this is just a cop out, sorry. Did you think this was a private conversation?

• Negative terms are made negative by one's own mind, if you don't make them negative, they aren't negative...
    Indeed, lol. +10 to myself!