Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do Buddhism view same sex marriage?

footiamfootiam Veteran
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Today
Would Buddhism or you advocate same sex marriage?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I would, yes. As for Buddhism, I can't really speak for it as a whole, but I don't see anything in it that would oppose such a thing. Social norms and institutions change all the time, and I don't see anything inherently negative about two people committing themselves to one another.
    RebeccaSSabrefedericaSeaOfTranquility
  • Jason, you make me think about two people of the opposite sex tying the nuptial knots, getting approval from the higher authorities and then the two betray each other. Tiger Wood's marriage or Elizabeth Taylor's marriage may be approved butere i th
  • I was just saying just now, some big stars married and their marriages go bust too and sometimes, there are cases of cheating, adultery, I mean. What's good in that?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    There doesn't seem to be anything in nature against same-sex couplings. It's humans and their religions and distaste for such an idea that are against same-sex marriage.
    RebeccaSSabre
  • I think that ideas about marriage in societies and religion initially would have come about to try and ensure for the needs of children - rather than as an attempt at control as it can appear now.
  • @andyrobin You mean that people used to feel they had to have children to propagate the religion or something?

I saw a video on that once, and it was only made a few years ago! Some Christian organization was saying that all the Muslims are having loads of babies, and if the Christians don't start having more babies the Muslims will outnumber the Christians. It was like a call to breed.

It was completely and utterly nuts.
  • Cloud said:

There doesn't seem to be anything in nature against same-sex couplings. It's humans and their religions and distaste for such an idea that are against same-sex marriage.

So too polygamous unions.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    sndymorn said:

Cloud said:

So too polygamous unions.

Careful...you're moving towards Rick Santorum! :D
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @sndymorn, Indeed! It's all human likes and dislikes. This is why we have so much division, people who think/do one way are not generally accepting of people who think/do other ways. This is just more clinging creating suffering.

Acceptance is something hard-earned in this world. It seems to always be traditional views fighting against an expanding consciousness that recognizes we're only hurting ourselves. It's obvious that the expanding consciousness is winning over time... look at what else we've conquered, such as inequality of the sexes and slavery. It's only a matter of time before LGBT couples have equality, so people fighting against it seems a battle already lost. If they could see things in this way perhaps they'd be more accepting (instead of drawing out a fight that causes nothing but harm).

We're still growing up as a species.
    Sabre
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    If 2 folks wish to publicly state their wish to partner with each other, what business is it of mine or Buddhism to object unless someones a minor. Hell, if a group of people want to do this, why not?
    I can't see Buddhism objecting, only whatever cultural associations that a particular form of Buddhism was foolish enough to adopt.
    SabreCitta
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cloud said:

Indeed! It's all human likes and dislikes.

A great man once said:

It's good that we all have different tastes and like different things.
    Otherwise, you'd all be after my old lady!

~ George Carlin
    Vastmind
  • I am a newbie Buddhist and a long time lesbian. My wife and I got married in Toronto 4/16/04, we currently live in Florida. Still waiting for our marriage to be legal here...tick tock. It gets really old after a while though, not that we will ever stop "fighting". I just cannot understand why someone else gets to decide who I can or can't be legally married to.
    Sabre
  • TO baby! Yeah, it sucks over in the States. I don't get it. People should grow up. I have gay friends, they're exactly the same as my straight friends. I don't see what all the fuss is about, why anyone shouldn't be allowed to marry the person they love. It's all so childish, and freakishly controlling.
    Sabre
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Interesting that you should ask this since this just happened a few days ago...

This unconventional ceremony on Saturday was the first same-sex Buddhist wedding held in Taiwan, where a landmark bill to legalize same-sex marriage has been pending since 2003.

I find it interesting that the article notes that Taiwan is generally accepting of same-sex marriage, but even in Taiwan, there is a base of vocal anti-gay Christians.
    Before we get too critical about the situation here in the States, look around at how the situation is in Africa and the Middle East. And, there are only 10 nations (out of 196) that recognize same sex marriage.
  • Everyone looks like a saint in comparison to Africa and the Middle East :lol:

It's a good point though.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    It's very understandable, but in a way I think it is a bit sad that the opinion of some religions gets reflected upon others. It seems to be indoctrinated into us that religion sort of equals or even may contain in whatever way the suppression of certain people. But it shouldn't be like that, don't you think?

Starting from blank. If you were to found a religion, what should that religion do? Or what should religions do in general? I think they should value compassion, equality, kindness, gentleness. Not only towards people who happen to like people of their own gender, but also amongst genders, amongst races and amongst different types of species.

So personally I would advocate for same sex marriage loudly. Because that's one of the jobs of religions as I see it, to advocate equal rights. Sadly, a lot of opposite sounds come out of certain corners of religion. To do that, is not practicing religion to me. Luckily, in my country it is very well accepted and it is already legal. This should be like that in the entire world. To me that's 100% obvious, for a body is just a shell, what's underneath doesn't have a gender. It's totally insane that people of equal gender can't marry one another if you see how little difference there actually is between men and women.

With all my kindness to anybody who is in a situation of liking their own gender, but doesn't feel like sharing it, can't act on it, or can't marry or is in another way limited.

Here is a video that may shed some more light.

And some reading:
    http://sujato.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/1430/
    VastmindKatsova
  • Cloud said:

You mention humans, and it makes me wonder if animals perform gay acts.
  • footiam said:

Cloud said:

Yep, they do. Not sure if it's just ones in captivity or not, but it definitely does happen :)
  • Rebecca, people do not cry foul over that, do they?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    footiam said:

Cloud said:

Yes they do. Have you never seen a gay dog? I have, personally. It's something natural that happens. This is one of the reasons I find it funny when some people think being gay/lesbian is a choice. Some people have gay/lesbian experiences out of choice, but your actual sexual preference is anything but a choice.

• I haven't seen a gay dog but I have seen a happy one. I just mentioned to Rebecca, people strangely do not create such a ruckus over gay animals.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    They don't expect dogs or other animals to follow human conventions. Whatever they believe is right for humans, and often it's related to what their religious beliefs tell them is right, that's their concern (and they want it to be shared by everyone else).

There aren't many reasons people would make a ruckus over a gay dog for instance. Either they have a gay dog and don't like it going after the same-sex (because gayness disgusts them), or they have a straight dog and don't want a gay dog going after it (for the same reason). Generally people don't care what animals do, and consider humans to be something else.
  • I don't know... I've heard stories... I remember some outrage about a gay penguin in a zoo? :lol: people can be insane sometimes.
    Jeffrey
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @RebeccaS, I don't know why people would care so much if a penguin were gay, unless they're taking it to mean (as it does) that gayness is something naturally occurring and not chosen, which could upset their beliefs about human gayness. People don't want anything to suggest that their disgust or distaste is actually what's wrong, rather than what they're disgusted with.
  • @Cloud I think that's exactly what it's about. There's this quote "even if it's true I don't believe it". People will do anything to protect their beliefs, even flying in the face of all rationality and evidence. I think we all have that propensity, but some people just seem to have it in spades :lol:
    Cloud
  • Cloud said:

They don't expect dogs or other animals to follow human conventions. Whatever they believe is right for humans, and often it's related to what their religious beliefs tell them is right, that's their concern.

There aren't many reasons people would make a ruckus over a gay dog for instance. Either they have a gay dog and don't like it going after the same-sex (because gayness disgusts them), or they have a straight dog and don't want a gay dog going after it (for the same reason). Generally people don't care what animals do, and consider humans to be something else.

I suppose that has to do with that 'I' factor. You would not want your own kind to be different from you, and be out of line with your beliefs.

Rebecca just mention something about an outrage over a gay penguin in a zoo.
  • RebeccaS said:

I don't know... I've heard stories... I remember some outrage about a gay penguin in a zoo? :lol: people can be insane sometimes.

Did not hear about that. It must be Batman's penguin! I wonder if the gay penguin speaks back.
  • I think it was in Canada. These two boy penguins were in love, and they ened up separating them! I'm not sure what happened after that, it was one of those flash in the pan sensationalism stories that wasn't really followed long term. It was sad though.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    footiam said:

I suppose that has to do with that 'I' factor. You would not want your own kind to be different from you, and be out of line with your beliefs.

Tightly connected with that is validation of your beliefs. If other people are allowed to be different and it's not called or considered "wrong" by the greater humanity, that in a way invalidates your beliefs... and you'd take that to be a kind of personal attack against those beliefs. It's the same as someone attacking your identity. If you believe you're a good person, but everyone else says you're not, this would not go down well with you. It's not often people will adjust their beliefs because they conflict with the views of others; they'd much rather that others adjusted their views.

So this is why people who are anti-homosexual want the greater society to also be anti-homosexual, to not allow for things like gay marriage. It's a direct hit on their ego if it's otherwise.

RebeccaS
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Straight people shouldn't be imposing a straight marriage ideal upon gay/lesbian couples any more than people who object to interracial couples should be imposing a same-race ideal (and believe me they would if they could). It's all motivated by dislike of difference, it's all discrimination and bigotry. The government is the institution that's supposed to be beyond our differences and treat people with equality... it has the power to establish equality without requiring anyone to change their beliefs, or forcing any religions to do anything they don't want to do. The religions that would marry LGBT couples should then be allowed to do so, and the government recognize those marriages (as well as allow the same kind of courthouse marriages that non-religious people often get).

At least that's my opinion on the whole matter. If the government does anything toward establishing inequality rather than equality, like enforcing a ban on same-sex marriage or making it federally illegal, then I'll wash my hands of government entirely. I'd probably take to protesting at that point since I'd no longer consider the government to be performing its function and to have become something ugly. :D Hopefully though like all other things, for instance inequality of the sexes and slavery, the government will eventually establish equality.
  • RebeccaS said:

I think it was in Canada. These two boy penguins were in love, and they ened up separating them! I'm not sure what happened after that, it was one of those flash in the pan sensationalism stories that wasn't really followed long term. It was sad though.

It's not that God is crazy. People are! I suppose the two penguins must be cooped up in the same cage for a long time!
  • Cloud said:

Straight people shouldn't be imposing a straight marriage ideal upon gay/lesbian couples any more than people who object to interracial couples should be imposing a same-race ideal (and believe me they would if they could). .

That makes me wonder - what if it is the other way around, gays being imposing for a change. How would you think the straights one would react?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @footiam, Whaddaya mean, like gay/lesbian people saying straight people can't get married? Straight people would react badly to that, just as LGBT people react badly to the same treatment. :) Or did you have some specific example in mind?

LBGT people aren't trying to impose upon straights at all, they're not trying to take anything away from them, they just want equal rights (to marry) and to be otherwise left alone. They're not even trying to force any religion to marry them to my knowledge... there are religions that would marry them of course, and if not then they should be able to get a courthouse marriage like many non-religious people do. Marriage isn't something owned by straight people alone, or even by religion, and yet it's straight people and religions that are opposed to allowing gay/lesbian marriage.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The whole issue becomes easier to empathize with if you look at it another way.

Change Straight People to Slave-Owners... (Actually understand this as Slavery-Accepting Majority!)
    Change LGBT People to Slaves...

Should Slave-Owners have the right to impose their will, through votes or any legal action, upon Slaves (to keep them enslaved)? We know the answer is No, so it should be the same for Straight People and LGBT People. The straights shouldn't be allowed to keep the gays/lesbians "enslaved" to unequal treatment through any means. There has to be a "higher humanity" that sees the discrimination and says this isn't right. We need another Abe Lincoln... so it's clearly something the government or the President should be fixing, as representing all of the people and not just a particular majority that doesn't like being told they're bigots.

We should be smart enough, cognizant enough of our history, to see this as fundamentally no different from other civil rights issues of the past, such as inequality of the sexes and slavery.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2012
    RebeccaS said:

@andyrobin You mean that people used to feel they had to have children to propagate the religion or something?

I saw a video on that once, and it was only made a few years ago! Some Christian organization was saying that all the Muslims are having loads of babies, and if the Christians don't start having more babies the Muslims will outnumber the Christians. It was like a call to breed.

I think my thought was about religion's role in maintaining social order and control.
    Traditionally religions have had an interest in marriage to protect the welfare and ensuring the needs of children and the women who mothered them are met by men in patriarchal societies. With this aim in mind, heterosexual marriage and having children is presented as the ultimate source of happiness and fulfillment and many do not question this.
    Cloud said:

The whole issue becomes easier to empathize with if you look at it another way.

Change Straight People to Slave-Owners... (Actually understand this as Slavery-Accepting Majority!)
    Change LGBT People to Slaves...

Should Slave-Owners have the right to impose their will, through votes or any legal action, upon Slaves (to keep them enslaved)? We know the answer is No, so it should be the same for Straight People and LGBT People. The straights shouldn't be allowed to keep the gays/lesbians "enslaved" to unequal treatment through any means. There has to be a "higher humanity" that sees the discrimination and says this isn't right. We need another Abe Lincoln... so it's clearly something the government or the President should be fixing, as representing all of the people and not just a particular majority that doesn't like being told they're bigots.

We should be smart enough, cognizant enough of our history, to see this as fundamentally no different from other civil rights issues of the past, such as inequality of the sexes and slavery.

I think that comparing being a gay person and not being able to marry -- to -- slavery is not appropriate. And in fact, many Black people have expressed great offense at doing so.

However, you are correct that oppression of any group of people is wrong.

I'm very wary about the role of government in all of this. Passage of laws that protect the rights of every group...okay. But I think we have to be very careful when we want government to work at changing the way people think about almost anything. That gets into very dangerous territory.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    It's not that type of comparison, it's an analogy. Obviously slavery was much worse and was "active", whereas this has been a "passive" issue. If the analogy works, then it has done its job... some people don't get it unless you change the circumstances to show how it's "like" something else we recognize easily as wrong. This isn't as bad as slavery, but we can see how the general principle is the same; we can begin to empathize and understand how discrimination is perpetuated.
    MaryAnne
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    RebeccaS said:

@andyrobin You mean that people used to feel they had to have children to propagate the religion or something?

I agree the motivation and reasoning is incorrect, but the foundation and basis of the argument - isn't. Many young, newly-wed indigenous nationals of western countries are deliberately avoiding having children - because they'd rather have the other things money can buy - so national domestic populations are definitely declining.
    However, immigrant populations are, conversely, increasing.
    For example, the most common name for boys in the UK last year, was Mohammed.
    Or as one young Muslim man said to me discussing political strife, unrest and terrorism: 'we don't need to bomb you. We'll just out-breed you.'

And that is precisely what is happening.

immigrant families are having as many children as they can, who are largely paid for and supported by the state, which means that illegal immigrants become completely impossible to deport and re-home.
    Furthermore, they are actively encouraged by their faith to have as many children as they can.
    whereas there is no such mindset amongst the white indigenous population, therefore there are far fewer domestic nationals being born.

• It's like the uterus has become a weapon :lol:
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    federica said:

Many young, newly-wed indigenous nationals of western countries are deliberately avoiding having children - because they'd rather have the other things money can buy - so national domestic populations are definitely declining. However, immigrant populations are, conversely, increasing.
    For example, the most common name for boys in the UK last year, was Mohammed.
    Or as one young Muslim man said to me discussing political strife, unrest and terrorism: 'we don't need to bomb you. We'll just out-breed you.'

And that is precisely what is happening.

immigrant families are having as many children as they can, who are largely paid for and supported by the state, which means that illegal immigrants become completely impossible to deport and re-home.
    Furthermore, they are actively encouraged by their faith to have as many children as they can.
    whereas there is no such mindset amongst the white indigenous population, therefore there are far fewer domestic nationals being born.

Wow... wow... wow...

and wow...

stunned
  • Good example of how divisive the different religions of the world can be when we cling and identify more with being a Buddhist or a Christian or whatever rather than following the teachings.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cloud said:

It's not that type of comparison, it's an analogy. Obviously slavery was much worse and was "active", whereas this has been a "passive" issue. If the analogy works, then it has done its job... some people don't get it unless you change the circumstances to show how it's "like" something else we recognize easily as wrong. This isn't as bad as slavery, but we can see how the general principle is the same; we can begin to empathize and understand how discrimination is perpetuated.

In the same way my teenage daughter used the argument to debate for human's living in western countries in the 21st century to choose a vegan diet ... She successfully presented a compelling argument that to continue to eat animals would be viewed in the same way as slavery is now by the end of the century - the analogy has validity in terms of legalising gay marriage also, I suggest.
  • I think the reason governments support heterosexual marriage is for the returns of procreation and the expected effects of a stable family life on the development of the fledgling generation, and most major religious beliefs support that. However, since society is degrading this seems to be no longer valid. A lot of marriages simply don’t last and become broken.

To the Orthodox Christian their sole purpose is illumination and union with God. Marriage is a spiritual mystery or sacrament given to the Church to support that purpose. If one is not blessed to live a monastic life then their blessing is marriage becoming one flesh in their offspring. A homosexual marriage is barren in this regard.

I know it’s difficult for people not associate this belief as a personal attack as there are many in our society in favor of heterosexual marriage that are ignorant and behave badly towards others.

Since “Marriage” as seen in most major religious traditions is a spiritual concern perhaps a civil union is more appropriate for a secular society.

Also, the Orthodox Church will never consider marriage as other than between a man and a woman. Does the government have the right to say and dictate to the Church its spirituality that it must do otherwise?
    Florian
    Silouan said:

I think the reason governments support heterosexual marriage is for the returns of procreation and the expected effects of a stable family life on the development of the fledgling generation, and most major religious beliefs support that. However, since society is degrading this seems to be no longer valid. A lot of marriages simply don’t last and become broken.

To the Orthodox Christian their sole purpose is illumination and union with God. Marriage is a spiritual mystery or sacrament given to the Church to support that purpose. If one is not blessed to live a monastic life then their blessing is marriage becoming one flesh in their offspring. A homosexual marriage is barren in this regard.

I know it’s difficult for people not associate this belief as a personal attack as there are many in our society in favor of heterosexual marriage that are ignorant and behave badly towards others.

Since “Marriage” as seen in most major religious traditions is a spiritual concern perhaps a civil union is more appropriate for a secular society.

Also, the Orthodox Church will never consider marriage as other than between a man and a woman. Does the government have the right to say and dictate to the Church its spirituality that it must do otherwise?

I think you present a good discussion here.

I try to keep in mind that the people on both sides of the argument think that their position is the most logical.

I do agree with you that governments shouldn't be able to tell a church what their religious beliefs are.

Interestingly, decades ago, a reporter asked Barry Goldwater what he thought of the concept of gay marriage, and he responded that government should be involved in marriage in any capacity...that it was basically something for churches to decide.

SilouanMaryAnne
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    That's entirely correct that government shouldn't be able to tell any religious institution what to do, or what to believe. The government shouldn't force any religious institution to marry same-sex couples or anything like that, and as far as I understand... they're not trying to. Anyone who thinks their religion is going to be impinged upon has an irrational fear, because the government wouldn't mess with their religion. Rather it's the religions that wish to impinge upon everyone else.

If the Catholic church doesn't want to marry same-sex couples, for instance, that's its business! However if other religions or the government want to marry same-sex couples, then it doesn't matter one iota what the Catholic church thinks or whether it recognizes that marriage (the Catholic church is just the Catholic church)... the only people left in a lurch would be Catholic same-sex couples who want to get married. They'd have to either go against Catholicism and have a government/courthouse marriage, and probably get excommunicated for doing so, or leave the Catholic church altogether. That'd be their choice. Religion maintains the power it has over its adherents.

It's really about the government recognizing marriages. That's what counts, because the government is all of us. Individual religions, some of which would actually perform same-sex marriages, are not the ones that speak for the rights of everyone. Religions are free to keep whatever beliefs they want, but that doesn't mean others have to abide by them!
    taiyaki
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    So what if Christian churches won't marry same-sex couples? The counter-argument should be that there are religions that would marry same-sex couples, including some Buddhist as well as Unitarian Universalist. So that takes religion right out of the picture, if we're letting all religions be equal. The problem is we're not going by religious equality, we're going by a majority of people holding to a certain religion and wanting to impose their religion's views upon everyone else. It's a numbers game. That kinda kicks religious freedom in the nuts, so the government shouldn't allow it to be about religion at all. I mean if a Unitarian Universalist church married a lesbian couple, why  should the government not recognize it? It should be about humanity, and the only real arguments should be on the level of humanity, not differing religious views.

The only real "humanity" argument is one of procreation, but were these people ever going to have kids of their own to begin with? No. They may in fact have artificial insemination or a surrogate, or adopt, but their activities would never result in any decrease or detriment to the population. So what's it about? "Love". They love each other the same as straight couples, and that's the real reason people get married. So there's no real hold-up in recognizing them as married and affording them all the legal rights and privileges of marriage in the States. Cutting out religion cuts out the bullshit, because obviously it's all about "one" religion and not about "all" religions (or none) like it should be anyway.
    Jason
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I hear ya, @Cloud.

Personally, I'm baffled by people who view same-sex marriage as some sort of de-evolutionary step from what they perceive to be 'real' marriage (i.e., two committed couples of the opposite sex who love each other and want to be/start a family), as if same-sex relationships are somehow less than heterosexual ones in some fundamental way and don't deserve the host of rights, benefits, and protections that marriage confers, presumably because that'd mysteriously erode the legal and/or spiritual institution of marriage. However, I've seen nothing as of yet to suggest anything of the sort in states and countries where it's legal; and it's not like heterosexual marriages don't already attempt to do that, e.g., drive-thru Vegas weddings officiated by Elvis.

And as for the argument that marriage is all about creating a family and raising kids (a common one it seems, lately), a lot of married heterosexual couples can't or simply choose not to have children, so marriage obviously isn't just about procreation. Besides that, same-sex couples can adopt, as well as have children through in vitro fertilization, previous relationships, etc., just like heterosexual couples, so I don't really see that as a good arguments against two committed couples of the same sex who love each other and want to be/start a family.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Jason, I've said the same things myself before (at least that entire second paragraph), I'm with ya. :)

I truly believe that it boils down to simple bigotry, that people fighting against it are fueled by their distaste/disgust for homosexuality. They'll put a different face on it, try and say it's because of their religion or something, but it's really just them (a hardened heart against homosexuality). We'll eventually move past this just like we moved past slavery, but it's still a battle... those who like it the way it is (and don't want it changed), versus those who recognize that it's wrong the way it is. In time we always seem to be able to overcome such issues, but when we're knee-deep in the shit it can seem like a never-ending battle!

If people just had a little hindsight and looked to our history, to all the similar issues we've had that we now clearly understand as wrong (but didn't then), perhaps they could open their minds and their hearts and see... but people don't seem to want to learn from our past mistakes. "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." (Douglas Adams)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    RebeccaS said:

It's like the uterus has become a weapon :lol:

You think you're kidding...
    This is what Imams are advocating in Mosques....

Zerocarolann