Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dalai Lama endorsing Humanism?

If you haven't seen his recent Facebook post here it is:
All the world's major religions, with their emphasis on love, compassion, patience, tolerance, and forgiveness can and do promote inner values. But the reality of the world today is that grounding ethics in religion is no longer adequate. This is why I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.
http://io9.com/5942616/dalai-lama-tells-his-facebook-friends-that-religion-is-no-longer-adequate

What do you think? Is religion a wall that prevents love and compassion?

Comments

• The DL has Facebook? Wow, he's more modern than I am!

I think it's easy to take potshots at religion or religious institutions. Maybe they do present an obstacle to realizing love, compassion, and Enlightenment. But they're created by humans, so we're back to the buck stopping here--with us. Humans create those institutions, probably initially out of idealism, but they can quickly degenerate to serving mundane goals: power, fame, greed, lust, whatever. They can fall prey to jeaousy, anger, the whole gamut. So...then what? Institutions are only as good as the humans in them. Would we do away with all those obstacles by doing away with the institutions? The obstacles are carried around in humans' heads and hearts. Would there be a lesser likelihood of them manifesting if there weren't institutions to fight over control for?

I don't have answers. Only questions at this point.

But really, these spiritual values exist independently of religion anyway, don't they? We don't need a religion to tell us what's right and wrong, and that helping others is the right thing to do.

What does it mean, " a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion"? Isn't spirituality by definition an expression of spiritual impulse that is outside the control of "religion", which we usually take to mean "organized religion"? I think the trend in Western society, at least, is already there, this has already been realized to a degree.
    Cloud
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited September 2012
    B5C said:

If you haven't seen his recent Facebook post here it is:

All the world's major religions, with their emphasis on love, compassion, patience, tolerance, and forgiveness can and do promote inner values. But the reality of the world today is that grounding ethics in religion is no longer adequate. This is why I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.
    http://io9.com/5942616/dalai-lama-tells-his-facebook-friends-that-religion-is-no-longer-adequate

What do you think? Is religion a wall that prevents love and compassion?

I'm guessing there are several components to his conviction--one, that religious conflict remains a problem, and two, that increasingly fewer people identify themselves as religious.

It seems to me that religions often foster love and compassion within a religion, but not always between religions. Religions have always clashed, though, so I'm wondering if the bulk of his statement has to do with the second fact (shrinking religious population).

Religion and culture used to be all but inseparable; it would be as accurate to say that cultures taught ethics, as it would be to say that religions taught ethics. But traditional cultures and traditional community lifeways are endangered species; even "global" religions are endangered species to some extent, so with both culture and religion waning, there's a danger of being left, in a few hundred years or so, with an ethics-less, money-obsessed world culture. We might think it's already happened, but we actually have quite a lot of culturally and/or religiously-driven ethics in place. I do think this could be changing, though. The thing about religions and cultures is that they are very deeply rooted; they get passed from generation to generation or at least have been for thousands of years.

Humanism is a nice thought, but in order to guarantee its longevity one would have to entrench it in people as deeply as a religion--in which case it has become, basically, just another religion. I suppose if it had built-in, secular logic, such as the tenet to never accept things blindly but rather "examine everything to see if it proves out," it could end up being a better religion--oh wait, there's already one like that ;)

• “This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

Dalai Lama

" If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it.”

Dalai Lama

“As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery… we have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace. The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion, while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility are the sources of peace and happiness.”

Dalai Lama

“Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.”

Dalai Lama

“All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness ... the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.”

HHDL has many quotes and quips regarding attachment to the religious side of Buddhism practice, as well as other religious practices....

He da MAN. :thumbsup:
    person
  • In that statement, the Dalai Lama is rather bravely putting buddhism above Buddhism.
    vinlyn
  • I enjoy listening to the US Intelligence Squared debates. Recently I heard one on whether the world would be better off with/without religion. If anyone is interested in listening, here is a link to the debate.
    person
  • The key to what the Dalai Lama said lies here:
    a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.
    Thinking of religion as a system of faith and worhip, Wikipedia gives a nice explanation of "spirituality" which is somewhat different than religion.
    "Spirituality is the concept of an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being; or the "deepest values and meanings by which people live." Spiritual practices, including meditation, prayer and contemplation, are intended to develop an individual's inner life. Spiritual experiences can include being connected to a larger reality, yielding a more comprehensive self; joining with other individuals or the human community; with nature or the cosmos; or with the divine realm. Spirituality is often experienced as a source of inspiration or orientation in life. It can encompass belief in immaterial realities or experiences of the immanent or transcendent nature of the world."
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited September 2012
    One small note - I believe the Dalai Lama is referring specifically to ethics, and how ethics are best supported in conventional life, which nowadays might be better achieved through a non-religious system, i.e. secular ethics.

Secular ethics are not meant, however, to replace for Buddhists the practices in concentration and wisdom which strive to focus the mind, lead to realization of the nature of mind, and ultimately become enlightened.

Secular ethics aren't actually intended to replace the more comprehensive system of ethics for committed Buddhist either; rather, to work toward a foundation of transcultural ethics, which would hopefully inspire more peace and harmony in the world.

Ethics is a huge part of Buddhism, but not the only part. Absolutely, religions are not (or may not be) necessary for a decent, ethical worldwide culture; but this is to some extent a different issue from developing deep practices on extensive ethics, concentration and wisdom, within a religion, as a personal goal. Safe to say, though, that worldwide ethics would be a wonderful foundation from which people might be inspired to move toward those further goals.

tmottesVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    He has a whole book about this very topic, appropriately called "Beyond Religion." It's in my Kindle but I haven't read it yet. I always took comments like this to be, within the context of his other sayings and books, that the only way people are going to come together is if they use the kernel of their own beliefs to live their lives. If that happens, the vast majority of people, from Muslims to Christians to Jews to Buddhists to Atheists will be living lives based on kindness, love and compassion. It's everything else that gets in the way of those simple things. When people feel the need to constantly label and segregate themselves into "I am this, this and this...and that means you are THAT and not THIS." That's where the problem comes in. The Dalai Lama, I think, seeks to get people thinking on removing those labels and borders we place on and around ourselves to make us feel distinct from the person next to us. When really, we are all the same no matter what our identifying characteristics are.
    SileMaryAnne
  • I believe you can still be a Humanist, and still be religious. He is not exactly saying to choose one over the other from what I have read. "Getting" your ethics and moral code from Humanism only means to use the facilities within yourself that you, and everyone else has had without any supernatural prodding to do so. To be a good person, because it is the right thing to do anyway, not because a God or ancient texts command you to then threaten some sort of potentially eternal punishment.

Not to mention that the term "Humanism" has a dozen or so different definitions, and it becomes even harder to guess at what exactly he is saying. Or perhaps, he wishes to leave it for a more open interpretation, so we can all make his statement work for us, in some way.
    DaftChrisKundo
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Religion does not compromise love and compassion. People CAN use it in such a way to where it is harmful, but in and of themselves most religions have the teachings of love and mercy at its core. Hell, even LeVayen Satanism states to give love ad respect to those who need and deserve it the most.

Also, Humanism does not necessarily mean that one is not religious. Yes, Secular Humanists are the most well known, but there are also Religious Humanists; those who believe in God, but believe that our lives on Earth are more important than obsessing over our salvation.

Also, even if the Dalai Lama is endorsing Humanism...so what? I always thought that some humanistic teachings were already a part of Buddhism?
    MaryAnneKundo
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I was wondering if I myself had the correct notion of what "Humanism" was.... so I looked it up on several sources. This was one of the most simple and straightforward definitions:

" When the first letter is capitalized, "Humanism" describes the secular ideology that espouses reason, ethics, and justice, while specifically rejecting supernatural and religious ideas as a basis of morality and decision-making.[7]

Religious humanism developed as more liberal religious organizations evolved in more humanistic directions. Religious humanism is a unique integration of humanist ethical philosophy with the rituals and beliefs of some religion, although religious humanism still centers on human needs, interests, and abilities.[8] "

I was a little "off" in what I thought Humanism was before I looked it up.
    I thought it meant that one viewed humans as "superior" on all levels over animals, nature and the world as a whole. I think I was wrong because I didn't see superiority mentioned in any of the definitions I came across....

• And to the post above ^ I think I need to add that No, I myself don't believe that humans are 'superior' -on all levels- above animals, nature or the world as a whole....
    I never did. I just wasn't exactly correct about what Humanism meant.
  • I don't like Humanism. I think there's just too much room for ego. I've never met a humanist I liked yet, every one of them has been arrogant as hell. :shrugs:
  • @RebeccaS, That's kinda like vegans, many come off as arrogant, but I'm sure there are plenty who don't have a superiority complex. Likely the same with humanists.
    Sile
  • Yeah I'm sure there's a few... I just think the ideology in itself is flawed. All religions are based on the idea of a higher power of some kind... Something "bigger" I guess, than the ego. With humanism, it's just us making the rules and that means a lot of room for great error. I don't know... It makes me feel uneasy anyway :)
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited September 2012
    RebeccaS said:

With humanism, it's just us making the rules and that means a lot of room for great error.

IMHO I don't see any religion, philosophy or human involved institutions different to that. :)
  • I don't really see religion keeping humans on track with ethics and morality any better than humanism or anything else. Some of the greatest havoc and suffering in the world has been wreaked in the name of religion.
  • it can or can't be a wall, i think it depends on the situation and other factors. generally it's all how people use it. people will be however they want to be then maybe justify it with religion or whatever
    Sile
  • RebeccaS said:

Yeah I'm sure there's a few... I just think the ideology in itself is flawed. All religions are based on the idea of a higher power of some kind... Something "bigger" I guess, than the ego. With humanism, it's just us making the rules and that means a lot of room for great error. I don't know... It makes me feel uneasy anyway :)

I can understand uneasiness related to seeing humanism being driven by selfish ego needs - most humanistic theory I have been involved with ( in psychology and the arts ) has acknowledged our interconnectedness with all other life on the planet. But then I am a vegan - lol.
    tmottes