Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Knowledge and Evidence for Buddhism

There has been a decent amount of rumination about what methods can and can't be used to determine knowledge (thought with evidence to support that thought) and what can be considered evidence or not when it comes to some of the buddhist teachings... rebirth, the different realms, etc. I was looking for some information regarding the scientific method and its history when I stumbled upon this site (oddly enough its a buddhist site). Keep in mind the author(s) is/are NOT anti-science, but rather anti-dogmatic about science and its claims to "correct" or "true" knowledge. I have included the links with an excerpt to "wet the palette". I encourage EVERYBODY who is remotely interested in knowledge and understanding to read these articles and explore the site further.

Dispelling Some Common Myths about Science
For example, certain religious ideas are considered to be knowledge by the people who hold them, knowledge of a superior sort that can only be provided by divine revelation, knowledge justified by pure faith alone. If that is knowledge, it is certainly a different kind of knowledge than what scientists develop using observable evidence and logic and experimentation -- but observation and logic and even experimentation are found in most human activities.
-------

The Myth of the Magic Scientific Method
Modern science is an amazing phenomenon, and people naturally wonder how it works. Oddly, science has never been thoroughly studied scientifically, so we have quite an array of different answers to this question, some of them accurate and some of them ridiculous. Unfortunately, the answer that became most popular was a guess made by some philosophers, which turned out to be worse than useless. Even more unfortunately, that guess is now commonly believed to be the simple truth about how science proceeds to develop new knowledge.

Discussions of methodology in science are clouded by a dreadful confusion because the phrase "the scientific method" is used in two very different ways, one appropriate and one highly misleading. The appropriate one speaks in a very general way of science as a powerful process for improving understanding.
-------

The Terrible Truth about Truth
Many people believe that science is the best route, if not the only route, to truth about the natural world. Other people, including many scientists, believe that scientific knowledge may not be perfectly true, but it is closer to the truth than other sources of knowledge and belief.

Both those views are misguided, not because of any problem with scientific knowledge itself, but because of our overly simple beliefs about it. In this essay I will argue that totally correct knowledge -- "truth" -- is neither the goal, nor the product, nor any part of the process of scientific work.
-------

Pseudo-science or Proto-science
Most scientists and people who are interested in science believe that certain subjects are intrinsically unscientific, or at least a-scientific -- topics that cannot be legitimately (or successfully) studied scientifically. This belief in the existence of "unscientific" topics is dangerous to the practice and teaching of genuine science.

Anything real can be studied scientifically. Whether someone's favorite topic corresponds to anything real or not may be an open question, a question that may never be answered.

For a scientists to claim that a topic is no more than "unscientific nonsense," or "psuedo-science," writing off an entire area of interest, when neither they nor any other scientist has ever actually studied it scientifically, is an expression of arrogance. "Unscientific" interests, a better term for which is "pre-scientific," are the necessary beginning point of scientific exploration in any new area. The exploration itself automatically improves the quality of the participants' understanding.
RebeccaSlobster

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I'm a little bothered by his writings. I couldn't find a biography for him, and I would like to know his background. I'm a little suspicious since I did find that he is very popular with "home-schoolers", and I know how many home-schoolers feel about science.

That's not to say I found everything I read through to be totally off base.

I agree with him that there is nothing special about the kind of person who can "do" science. After all, as a former science teacher I had 12 year-olds "doing" science. And I always laughed at (usually) girls who would say things like, "I can't do science, and my mother said she never could either."

But where religion comes in, there are a lot of people who just don't "get" science. For example, I had a secretary who was a born again Christian. One day she brought up Mormonism because she knew my hometown was where Joseph Smith founded Mormonism. She said, "Those Mormons. They believe that angel gave Jospeph Smith golden plates with their bible on it. If that's really true, why can't they show us the golden plates?" I replied, "Well, Sandie, do you believe God gave Moses the Ten Commandments on stone tablets?" "Yes, of course." "Can you show me the tablets?" "Well, that's different!" Now there's a person who can't...oops...doesn't have a mind that works scientifically. Same for people who "know" that evolution says man evolved from apes.

People are naive if they think science is always right. But "real" science is more right than just guessing.

People are naive if they think everything in science was initially discovered via the scientific method. No, scientists often stumble upon things, although those things are usually then verified through a more scientific procedure.

But let me give you an example of where I "use" science. When I prescribed a new medication, I look up the data. I want to know what side effects have been discovered, and how often. For example, one friend told me I shouldn't use a new medication because it caused seizures. So I looked up the data and found that fewer people using the medication had had seizures than in the control group who had taken only a placebo. That's science!

And, it's okay to have a religious belief that is not supported by science. It's not okay to support a religious belief with faulty science...or by no science, but say it's scientific.

B5C
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @vinlyn I can't help but feel what you are speaking about isn't science per se, but rather critical thinking. I would agree that critical thinking is definitely a skill that seems to be lacking in today's world and needs to be encouraged. Your example of the golden plates vs the stone tablets is great evidence of this. I wouldn't say that it's science that she needs, but the ability to see and analyze her own biases and assumptions. Critical thinking allows you and me to take a step back and abstract the gold plates and the stone tablets to media by which information is stored and recalled. She is so focused on proving her point that she misses that. I think that is what this author is saying in "The Terrible Truth about Truth". Rather than approaching it with a goal of truth or an end-point, lets approach it from curiosity and learning-which I think is what you espouse when it comes to rebirth.

I guess you bring to light and interesting question: what is really the difference between thorough critical thinking and science? Experimentation is certainly one answer; although, I arguably use experimentations in my critical thinking, haha.

I think overall science gives us a starting baseline and rules. It says, we all know where we are starting and what the rules are, so we know that at the end we can judge observations against other observations that have played the same game.

IMHO and for me personally (how I acquire and use data/knowledge), I don't think that science is the only game in town; I don't think its the only game that can provide evidence of something. I don't think we should ever blindly accept evidence (scientific or otherwise). If I am excluding anything that is not part of the science game, then what knowledge am I potentially missing?

I try to use belief lite. I take things that makes sense, I research and analyze, I experiment, and I keep my eye out for any additional information/data/knowledge that may refute, support, or redefine that belief. I use my personal experience as a computer: providing it some input and seeing what comes out, all the while keeping in mind that my "computer" is programmed differently than others, and it is always subject to change based on any new input.
    I think in this discussion you and I are pretty much in agreement...thus far. :)

• Haha... damn these non-controversial topics. :banghead:
    Cloud
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2012
    All right, I'll spend a few constructive hours debating the merits, superiority and limits of science.

To begin with, the page you reference is creationist grounding to minimize the importance of a scientific approach to investigating the universe. Even without noting that the website doesn't bother telling us who this "Dr Hawles" is or what he is a "Doctor" of (Divinity? Philosophy? Or is it a self-assumed title? Who knows? He has absolutely no webpresence at all. You actually must say, "anonymous" is the author for now) This tells us immediately that the people pushing this have no clue how science works. Tacking the title "Doctor" onto your name does not give you magical powers to penetrate the mysteries of the universe in every direction in spite of what your education, training and research actually is.

Thus the people who use this anonymous diatribe begin with an appeal to authority. This is from a real "Doctor" so he knows what he's talking about. That's not how science works.

For the rest, we could go through and point out the seeds of anti-science bias in the writing. For instance, "Oddly, science has never been thoroughly studied scientifically, " is total BS. I took several courses in college on the history and methods of science. A short google gives me my old text book, http://www.questia.com/library/76773537/studies-in-the-history-and-methods-of-the-sciences

There is nothing mysterious about the scientific method, and nothing comparable when it comes to investigating and forming conclusions about our world.

We can talk about the limits of science. One limit is, something has to actually exist before it can be studied and science applied to examine and determine the nature of it. By exist, I mean it has to have some sort of effect on reality that can be measured. We have become amazingly creative on finding ways to measure these effects. Black holes. Dark matter. Dark energy. We have found ways to measure how they effect the universe, even though we can't actually examine a black hole.

And I have not even touched on the subject of religion and faith versus science yet. How's that for a start?

• Cinorjer: I am curious as to why your book had nothing in it about scientism. You can find a nice book on scientism at Questia: Helmut Schoeck and James W. Wiggins, eds., Scientism and Values (Princeton, NJ: Van Nostrand, 1960), iii, http://www.questia.com/read/6148600

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Science is empty... ;)
  • According to Popper, empirical generalization, though non-verifiable, are nevertheless falsifiable. Scientific laws are testable. In the example, "God created the universe" no large number of observations can verify that God created the universe. Only the non-existence of everything can falsify it. Since the universe exists, ergo, God created the universe! Thanks Karl! :eek2:
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Songhill said:

According to Popper, empirical generalization, though non-verifiable, are nevertheless falsifiable. Scientific laws are testable. In the example, "God created the universe" no large number of observations can verify that God created the universe. Only the non-existence of everything can falsify it. Since the universe exists, ergo, God created the universe! Thanks Karl! :eek2:

This post seems contrary to what you normally post. I'm guessing that there is some sort of sarcasm here, though I don't quite catch the point of it, could you elaborate.

There was a post about a month back with some philosophy lectures that I'm still in the process of watching but so far I like the one on formal logic. While certain things such as the argument in your post can't be empirically disproven it can be logically.
  • Songhill said:

Cinorjer: I am curious as to why your book had nothing in it about scientism. You can find a nice book on scientism at Questia: Helmut Schoeck and James W. Wiggins, eds., Scientism and Values (Princeton, NJ: Van Nostrand, 1960), iii, http://www.questia.com/read/6148600

Because the word "scientism" was never generally accepted or used until creationists seized on it as a buzzword to mean any part of science that challenged their beliefs. It was redefined.

Scientism as originally coined meant the belief that science could be effectively applied to moral value systems as a part of the study of human behavior. Thus, people could build a moral framework strictly from scientific principles. Today there are philosophers and other thinkers that still attempt to do just that. However, all such attempts have deep flaws so far.

The term Scientism has come to be used in an attempt to claim science is a religion ruled by beliefs and dogma just like Christianity, and so religious beliefshould be taught as equally valid in the classroom. To naysayers, any appeal to science is scientism.

Science has limits. However, unlike all the other "isms" including religion, science is self-correcting in its beliefs.
  • Cinorjer:

Yes, the term "scientism" was around before the "creationists seized on it"—I mean the term was coined in 1877, found in Fraser's magazine for town and country (this is from the O.E.D.).
  • Bunks
    Science is empty...
    ;)
    Vispassana is empty too. :hair:
  • @Cinorjer I want to respond in greater detail to your previous post, but I am quite busy here at work. I will definitely write something up later or when I get home, but I did want to address something in the meantime.

I completely understand the "self-correcting" aspect of science: it's part of its beauty. It is the aspect that is supposed to keep people who use science from becoming dogmatic about their findings. It also gives us a clearer picture of reality each time we expose problems with our current theories. Where I find the dogma is more on an meta level. Holding fast to the idea that conclusions based in the framework of science somehow have a monopoly on evidence and knowledge. I understand that this is a slippery slope when it come to all sorts of absurd ideas and concepts. Which is why I stress critical thinking, and encourage the rejection of blind faith. Even some of the products of critical thinking and logic are not up to the task of withstanding scientific scrutiny; however, it doesn't make them any less reasonable/rational.

Science has a scope of the emperical world. How does it address experiences outside that scope? It doesn't. The dogma says, no scientific evidence equals no existence, until evidence otherwise is shown. Then somehow it pops into existence? Non-dogmatic science remains silent: the tool being used is not the right tool for the job. If you hold the dogma that in order for knowledge or evidence to be credible it must be available to science, then you ignore all the other tools in the tool box. You miss out on the whole experience. You look at a tree and think it is a forest. Will science ever step outside its self-imposed empirical boundaries? Should it? Only when a new tool is able to record, interpret, process, etc non-empirical (dare I say subjective) data.

In the meantime, I will see/use/praise science for doing what it does best; and I will continue to use a "personal science" to understand MY subjective experience. There are/will be others like me, and we will exchange and share our "personal science" conclusions in an attempt to guide each other and falsify our own personal beliefs and conclusions. IMHO, this is core of the buddha's suggestion to try it out for yourself. He conducted a "personal science" experiment and asks you do the same, to see if the results are the same. He gives a clear set of methods, raw data from his research, and provides conclusions. You want to see if his conclusions are valid, do your own research, which can and should include conducting your own experiments: experiments in your own experience, your own body, and your own mind.
    person
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Wow. some post. And that's you "quite busy here at work" is it.....? :D
  • The Oxford English Dictionary gives the following as the definition of science.
    “The state or fact of knowing; knowledge or cognizance of something specified or implied; also, with wider reference, knowledge (more or less extensive) as a personal attribute.”
    When a Buddhist cognizes pure Mind or Buddha-nature, that is science, too.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Songhill:
    Pure mind, Buddha nature. It's not so much. Hold it lightly, if you must hold it at all.
    Songhill said:

The Oxford English Dictionary gives the following as the definition of science.

“The state or fact of knowing; knowledge or cognizance of something specified or implied; also, with wider reference, knowledge (more or less extensive) as a personal attribute.”

Not from a scientific point of view it isn't.

The whole world does not revolved around dictionary definitions.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    A lot of people don't understand the scientific method and therefore make incorrect statements about it.

Here it is in a few sentences.

• @tmottes I believe you're singing to the choir. In fact, I talk about the limitations of science, which are as important to understand as the limitations of religion, "faith based beliefs" or whatever you want to call it.

Science cannot create a universal moral code, because the universe is not moral. It cannot create universal justice because the universe is not just. The universe doesn't care one bit if you suffer or not. Our social institutions don't even care if you suffer or not. In the sweep of humanity, life has been cheap and justice more likely than not meant who had the best weapons. Science can map social behavior and the human brain, but the human spirit has always been the one miracle that cannot be constrained by formulas.

Religion is a conscious human being looking up at the stars and down at a grave and asking, "Why? Why me?" Science can't answer that. Religion seeks to.

vinlyn
  • For those interested... I emailed the author of the articles in the OP asking him to provide his credentials. Here is his response.
    Ph.D. in cognitive psychology from the University of Minnesota.
    Emphasis on communication (perception of speech) and
    scientific methodology.
  • He has a phd in "scientific methodology" and says science has never been studied scientifically? Then what in the world was he doing all those years in university? Could you ask him how he feels about his article being used by creationist homeschoolers to attack science as no better than faith or revealed truth in such areas as evolution or the age of the world?
    Sabre said:

A lot of people don't understand the scientific method and therefore make incorrect statements about it.

It really isn't that simple, nor is it that "standard" (for wont of a better term).

You can't really reduce science and the scientific method down to a short video clip, anymore than you can reduce Buddhism down to a pamphlet.

• vinlyn:
    Not from a scientific point of view it isn't.

The whole world does not revolved around dictionary definitions.
    I will stick with the O.E.D. The Buddha was a scientist.

Being skeptical of the claims of the physical sciences is the way proper science is done—it has to question its own conclusions and the axiomatic, non-physical ground it rests upon—even its so-called laws. In a word, it invites its own destruction.

At one time the cosmological hypothesis of a big bang seemed true but with the discovery of non-cosmological red shift, the big bang lost much of its bang. A gravitationally derived universe is probably impossible. Gravity is too weak as compared with plasma. For those like Hans Alfvén, the big bang never happened. Nature could not care less about math or Einstein.

As far as the scientific method is concerned, it may not be the case that a implies only b. It is more like a could imply b, b1, b2, b3, etc.

Authoritative claims abound in science and technology—it sounds like triumphalism. But many of the claims were later proven to be wrong. For example, in 1933, Ernst Rutherford said, "The energy produced by the atom is a very poor kind of thing. Anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation of these atoms is talking moonshine." Before that, Lord Kelvin said, "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."

Buddhist need not pay too much attention to the present claims of science which will eventually be superseded by more claims; the old ones being into the dust bin of history along with the Saturnian model of the atom and Einstein's speed of light limit.
    ^^ If you said, "Buddha was an observer of human behavior," I'd say okay. If you said he was "wise". I'd say certainly true.

But he was not a scientist.

Period.
  • Vinlyn: The Bodhisattva became Buddha in virtue of cognizing ultimate reality; and with its cognition he escaped the bonds of the conditioned and samsara. Each one of us is capable of cognizing this super reality but, instead, we blindly cling to conditionality afraid to let go.
    "cognizing ultimate reality". Yeah, okay. Now I see that you have no understanding whatsoever of what science is.
  • @vinlyn I think that @Songhill is using what I described above as "personal science". Something that is trying to move beyond empirical science, but still have a consistent framework for understanding (subjective) experience. I don't know what other tools we can use to examine our non-emperical experiences.
  • Cinorjer said:

He has a phd in "scientific methodology" and says science has never been studied scientifically? Then what in the world was he doing all those years in university? Could you ask him how he feels about his article being used by creationist homeschoolers to attack science as no better than faith or revealed truth in such areas as evolution or the age of the world?

No, he said he had a degree in cognitive psychology with emphasis in scientific methodology. I can interpret that in a number of ways, so who knows. His email address is readily available on his webpage if you would like discuss his credentials further. I guess he might feel the same way as a knife maker. His articles are merely tools (information) that can be used to prepare food (promote knowledge) or kill (stifle it). I don't know the man; I only emailed him about his credentials because I didn't want an uncertain degree to prevent anybody from reading the articles with an open mind.
    tmottes said:

@vinlyn I think that @Songhill is using what I described above as "personal science". Something that is trying to move beyond empirical science, but still have a consistent framework for understanding (subjective) experience. I don't know what other tools we can use to examine our non-emperical experiences.

Believing what you want to believe is fine. Calling it science is not.

One man -- no matter who he is -- no matter what he says he saw...that's not science.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Songhill said:

Buddhist need not pay too much attention to the present claims of science which will eventually be superseded by more claims; the old ones being into the dust bin of history along with the Saturnian model of the atom and Einstein's speed of light limit.

Just a footnote to this interesting exchange of ideas:

It is not a flaw of the scientific method that scientific theories perish and new ones rise. It is the whole idea of it. We can actually learn something about the subject and our understanding - as limited as it is – will grow.

Religious beliefs don’t change. But that’s not what’s so great about them. When religious beliefs describe our reality as a matter of fact and they are dogmatic about it; they are just a form of blindness; an unwillingness to look at the facts and learn from them.
    RebeccaS
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @zenff, Basically revealed religion thinks it has it right forever and always, and science thinks it has it right "as far as it knows currently" and always adapts to new information. Every scientific theory we've ever had has worked in its time and has been in accord with the facts (through both observation and experimentation). It is only when a theory no longer works, when new facts disprove it, that it's changed.

So they're really working theories... practical ways of looking at things that are the best "big picture" we have at any one time. That's also the downside however, because we can't know for sure if our current theories are final. Religion's certainty can appeal very much to those who find scientific theory to be uncertain, even though religious doctrines can often not be proven by any method. It's a paradox. :)

Buddhism is kinda in the middle. It claims things are a certain way and says this can be known... but you have to follow the Path to know it. It's something that will be subjectively known rather than objectively proven.
    RebeccaS
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Cloud said:

Buddhism is kinda in the middle. It claims things are a certain way and says this can be known... but you have to follow the Path to know it. It's something that will be subjectively known rather than objectively proven.

This “subjective knowing” is not in the middle; not if it is about the world that we live in, in a matter of fact way. It is blind faith in steps. Buddhism (as a dogmatic belief system) says you don’t have to accept blind belief right away; you can take your time.

If we depended on “subjective knowing” we would still believe the world is flat. No meditator achieved what astronomers did. No Buddhist reached the idea of evolution through sitting on a mat and digging deeply in his own mind. What’s more important such ideas don’t get substantiated properly by sitting and meditating on it.

I think we have to see the limitations of Buddhism. I’m all for it; but I’m in the 21st century.
    The Buddha had absolutely no idea about many things.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @zenff, That wasn't the point of what I said anyway. :D The point of that post was the difference between revealed religion and science (and scientific theory).

As to the Buddhism bit at the end, you can ignore the "in the middle" since that's confusing. What I meant was that Buddhism is like scientific methodology in that one follows the steps given by another (i.e. the Noble Eightfold Path) to come to the same conclusion (i.e. Enlightenment). The difference of course is that it all takes place in the mind, it's not something that can be shown to others. It's like a science of the mind but of course it's not an official science. The closest thing it comes to is psychology, but it's not really that either. Buddhism doesn't feat neatly into either the "religion" or "science" categories and yet has elements of both.

I agree with you fully that the Buddha probably didn't know a lot of things, including things we've come to know since through science. He was just a man after all! What he did know was liberation, and that's what he taught. A lot of the other stuff might be overthrown by science, and we shouldn't cling to the teachings that are contradicted just because the Buddha taught them (if he even did). He even warned us not to do so. However we should still keep an open mind... if we're not certain they've been contradicted, they may still be right. Science hasn't contradicted rebirth, for one, yet neither has it proven it.

We should just focus on our practice. :om:
    There are no problems when we keep in mind the Buddha was just a human like us.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    vinlyn said:

Sabre said:

It really isn't that simple, nor is it that "standard" (for wont of a better term).

You can't really reduce science and the scientific method down to a short video clip, anymore than you can reduce Buddhism down to a pamphlet.

More can be said, but that's deepening instead of widening. What is said there is basically what it comes down to, at least in the exact sciences as I was taught.

You can also reduce Buddhism to the four noble truths. All else is a deepened explanation of those, but not something new.

But that aside - the big difference between science and Buddhism is that science works with falsification and Buddhism with validation. That's why Buddhism is a step ahead of science and will always be. Also important, science is as accurate as its description (the physical laws for example) while in Buddhism the description of things is always less accurate than reality.

But as a said before somewhere else, the value of science with respect to Buddhism is very limited. Even if things like rebirth/enlightenment are proven scientifically, it wouldn't be useful if we didn't realize them. As an example, science already seems to disprove the idea of free will, yet people who hear this still feel like they have some free will. However, if we see through it in meditation, we won't feel like that any longer and will behave accordingly. That's a big and important difference. The same will happen if we can verify things like rebirth; it'll change us as a person, while science doesn't nescessarily change anybody with it's knowledge - at least not on such a deep level.
    Cloud
    ^^ Hmm, I think we are in general disagreement...which is okay. I think we are in agreement on one aspect of the discussion, and that is the science is science, and Buddhism is Buddhism, and they are not the same thing. Just as somewhat of an aside, you'll note that nowhere in this thread have I said that Buddhism is better than science, or that science is better than Buddhism. They are just different ways of viewing life. There may be times when one supports the other, just as there are times one debunks some aspect of the other. Where I have the problem is when someone tries to say Buddhism is science, or Buddha was a scientist, or something along that line.
  • Yup, I wasn't directing the latter half of my reply towards you in particular, but just a general statement. I agree with you that science is for some things, Buddhism is for others. So "Knowledge and Evidence for Buddhism" won't really come through science.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yet HH the DL has said that - ..."if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."

I do believe that has not yet happened... So, if
    "Knowledge and Evidence for Buddhism" won't really come through science.

what of that declaration....?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    That would be evidence against Buddhism, which is something different than evidence for Buddhism. So it's another level. However, I think there won't be evidence against it either.

It also depends what we call Buddhism. In some of the suttas (I think mainly the later commentaries/abhidhamma) there are some things -about geography for example- that are clearly not true.

However, those are minor things, not essential for our understanding. So I wouldn't call those Buddhism. Buddhism to me is the four noble truths, eightfold path, dependent origination - all those central teachings.
    I see the difference, gotcha. Ta muchly...
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2012
    The problem is that the sutras and practices don't just teach the Noble Truths and life of Buddha and give detailed rules for monks to follow. The sutras also include information presented as literal fact that includes gods, demons, miracles, various alternate realms, and of course declarations about past lives and literal reincarnation. Now, anyone who studies the religions and myths of humanity over the ages expects this. Every culture had their own set of beliefs and myths including beliefs on what happens after death, and ancient India was no exception. Buddhism developed within the framework of existing beliefs and those beliefs influenced the monks that wrote the sutras. Obvious.

But unlike science, once Buddhism came to be regarded as Revealed Truth, then anything in the sacred scriptures is to be accepted and you are not allowed to challenge or change anything. Science questions assumptions from even the great thinkers of the past and anticipates old beliefs will be superceded by new knowledge. Religion rejects questioning since the assumption is the original Revealed Truth is by definiton pure and complete and any deviation from ancient teachings is curruption, not advancement.

There will never be a call from some scientific community to "Return to that old time science, the kind our grandfathers believed, where the earth was the center of the universe and everything made sense!"

Granted, Buddhism isn't as bad as most other religions. It started off grounded in human experience and tries to make the case that arguments about unprovable beliefs in gods and such are distractions. One sutra even slipped in a call to question and decide for yourself (but people, being what they are, insist the only conclusion an enlightened person should come to is that the sutras are right).

My own take is that the Dharma can withstand a bit of criticism, a touch of doubt, and seeing the monks and even Buddha as great thinkers, but just people. They were not gods. They lived before telescopes and microscopes and knew nothing about genetics or cells or dna, so a theory about past life karma causing birth defects seemed logical. Today we know better, but refuse to give up the belief because our sacred founders believed it.

There is a core set of observations that Buddha gave us about suffering, the cause and elimination. There is a wider set of instructions the other great Masters gave us as to the nature of our minds and how to change the way we think about ourselves and the world. It changed my life and that itself was a miracle. The rest is fascinating but irrelivent to me.
    zenffCloud
  • vinlyn:
    Believing what you want to believe is fine. Calling it science is not.

One man -- no matter who he is -- no matter what he says he saw...that's not science.
    Your definition of science is only one of many in the O.E.D. Here is definition 5b. I believe this is where you are coming from.
    In modern use, often treated as synonymous with ‘Natural and Physical Science’, and thus restricted to those branches of study that relate to the phenomena of the material universe and their laws, sometimes with implied exclusion of pure mathematics. This is now the dominant sense in ordinary use.
  • Great discussion everybody!
    vinlyn said:

There may be times when one supports the other, just as there are times one debunks some aspect of the other.

Does the "may" in the first sentence, apply to the second? And if not, what specifically has science debunked about buddhism (mainly the claims in the sutras)?
  • Perhaps the greatest fallacy of modern science is that people are taught, especially in the West, that science is the only means of knowledge. This is rubbish. Having studied Buddhism for over half my life I know that Buddhism is a spiritual science. It is the actualization of the thinking of Kingdon Clifford, Max Planck, Eddington, Arthur Young, Lothar Schafer and others of this breed who grasp that Mind is ultimate reality.
    tmottesperson
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    In what way does science hinder anyone practicing Buddhism?

I mean to say, is there anything that scientists say or do, or which is done on the advice of scientists, that puts people off Buddhism or makes it more difficult to practice?

Not just a rhetorical question, because I can think of a few possible things. Could be worth considering.
    lobster
  • Cinorjer: I don't find in your words a genuine, academic criticism of Buddhism. What they reveal, instead, is the all-too-common Western attitude towards Buddhism which comes under the rubric of secular Buddhism. What belies this attitude is a kind of intellectual colonialism in which science is the new missionary whose job it is, is to save Buddhism; to rescue it from its antiquated, outworn superstitions such as karma, rebirth and nirvana.
    edited September 2012
    @Songhill, (just to be precise), I'm just wondering what the heck makes you the authority to be able to judge or evaluate someone else's PoV in this way....
  • Songhill:
    intellectual colonialism
    The thing about intellectual colonialism is that it's difficult to halt. Better to meet the new ideas on equal terms.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I see the difference, gotcha. Ta muchly...
    It's again the thing that science works with falsification. This aspect of science has a lot of consequences. For example, claiming that science 'proves' there is no rebirth is saying experience proves that green-with-pink frogs don't exist. You can't say they surely don't exist just because you've never seen one (I guess you didn't :p ). So when science has never measured or shown rebirth (some disagree quoting Stephenson) that's in no way a prove for there being no rebirth.

That's why a lot of things Buddhism can verify fall outside of the range of science and I think we should be very careful when science seems to direct our understanding. Science has often proved itself wrong before - which is its strength but also its inherent weakness. When Einstein proposed his theories on relativity, not everybody believed him, preferring to stick with the old models. Likewise, Einstein did not want to take on the ideas of quantummechanics even when confronted with the evidence. He just couldn't take it because it was beyond his belief of how the universe should work. He couldn't belief the universe works with chance, or as he said "god doesn't play dice", well, so far it seems he does.

I think we should be careful to not have such fixed views based on science, especially when it is about subjects science knows little about - like rebirth. Science is fallible - it's meant to be. When we based on science take a view of how the universe should be, we make the same mistake as Einstein did.
    tmottes
  • @sabre

I really like this line. I feel it sums up things rather nicely.
    science is as accurate as its description (the physical laws for example) while in Buddhism the description of things is always less accurate than reality.
    Sabre said:

That would be evidence against Buddhism, which is something different than evidence for Buddhism. So it's another level. However, I think there won't be evidence against it either.

It also depends what we call Buddhism. In some of the suttas (I think mainly the later commentaries/abhidhamma) there are some things -about geography for example- that are clearly not true.

However, those are minor things, not essential for our understanding. So I wouldn't call those Buddhism. Buddhism to me is the four noble truths, eightfold path, dependent origination - all those central teachings.

Yes.

We might eventually find that certain things in Buddhism are not correct. But that won't mean the overall philosophy is wrong or needs to be discarded.