Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do we (USA) have so many prisoners?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Federica, I just pointed out the things I was doing in areas that are of passionate concern for me.
  • There are many people in the US who are born in into a situation and or society where they have pretty much these choices, either join a gang or get beaten on a regular basis or killed. Many of these kids do not have a father figure in the family which causes a lot of problems as it is, so a gang offers up a family status, they feel accepted and loved. In return they have to go and kill other gang members due to the colours they fly. A lot of these people have good hearts, but as they have said themselves, when they need to, they can turn into animals. The black gang member has become a scape goat, they are that way and not a product of what has happened over the past 70 years... Yea right!
    edited September 2012

There are many people in the US who are born in into a situation and or society where they have pretty much these choices, either join a gang or get beaten on a regular basis or killed. Many of these kids do not have a father figure in the family which causes a lot of problems as it is, so a gang offers up a family status, they feel accepted and loved. In return they have to go and kill other gang members due to the colours they fly. A lot of these people have good hearts, but as they have said themselves, when they need to, they can turn into animals. The black gang member has become a scape goat, they are that way and not a product of what has happened over the past 70 years... Yea right!

I'm no expert, but I'm not sure I agree with you. The suburbs around Washington, particularly in the Northern Virginia area where I lived, have a definite gang problem. As a principal, I was updated a couple of times a year about the gangs that operated in some of the neighborhoods within our school's boundaries. For the most part, these were not local wannabe gangs. They were actual subsidiaries of L.A. gangs such as MS-13, a transnational gang with the greatest presence in the L.A. area, although it is estimated that in northern Virginia its members number in excess of 3,500.

While my school was not heavily gang-populated, each year we had a few students who we knew to be in gangs, and others who were attracted to gangs...primarily Latino students who lived in a couple of neighborhoods along US-50 in Fairfax County. Here's one point where I disagree with what you wrote -- some percentage of teenaged boys in those neighborhoods were in gangs, while others were on the fringes. Yet most were not. So, it seems, at least in many cases to be a choice. Every actual gang kid that I can think of in our school had a father, usually one that worked damn hard at multiple jobs. To be honest, I think you're unintentionally stereotyping.

And this statement: "A lot of these people have good hearts, but as they have said themselves, when they need to, they can turn into animals." This is bizarre thinking, Tom.

Sorry, you and I are often in agreement on lots of things...but not this.

• @thailandtom
    Tom , In the USA, the most successful group of immigrants is Nigerians. They attend elite universities and create business at an incredible rate. They come here without the belief that they cannot succeed . How do we instill this belief in the black population here?
    People like Bill Crosby, whom speak of such things (as did Obama initially) are often vilified in the black community.
    By the way, have you watched any hip hop videos in the past ten years ? Very poor role models for the youth , black or white, preaching a sorry and sad lifestyle (bitches and money) to young impressionable minds locked in a can't win prison of their own creation.

@sndymorn, that is interesting, and I recall other studies from back a while that showed that actual African immigrants have a higher "success" rate than African-Americans. But, we need to be careful not to imply too much here -- after all, there are many successful Black people here in the States. Many are well-respected professionals, while others hold down good, substantial jobs, are enrolled in good colleges and universities, and lead stable lives with a superb family environment. Just sayin'.

I agree about hip hop. The lyrics are a disgrace. Every generation has its own music, but the degrading of women (just for starters) ought to be a wake-up call.
    sndymorn
  • Thank you @vinlyn Yes I do not want to denigrate entire culture(s). This post concerns race because slave labor using prisoners was mentioned in the video. I must be careful not to offend.
    I apologize to those I mislead by my clumsy commentary.
  • I think it's because rich white people are scared of poor black and brown people.

There, I've said it.

'70% of prisoners in the United States are non-whites.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States#Prison_population
    Morningstar
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Gangs are a bit of a problem where I live. They're primarily Carribean, we have a huge Jamaican community.

It's part of their culture. You just have to listen to primarily black music - hip hop & rap etc. They like it and they want it a lot of the time. We can whine about socio economic problems all we want, but the fact of the matter is that's the lifestyle they want to lead a lot of the time. Most of our gang members a pretty young, teens to mid twenties, they look up to those people, want to be like them, and they all love gang culture.

So I don't think it's fair to say white people are just scared of black people. I cross the street whenever I see anyone, regardless of their color, obviously into that culture and mentality. I don't want to be anywhere near them.

It's the culture that is the problem, not the color of their skin.
  • ^^No doubt. Culture is a major issue.

I used to live in Chicago. Know what the youth in lower SES areas are fond of? Forming packs of ~20 teens, going up to the "middle/higher" SES areas, and beating people up. Just because. And/or they would go into stores and steal everything they can get their hands on, knowing no one can stop them due to massive power in their higher numbers.

It undoubtedly stems from culture. No twelve year-old kid is born and decides they want to join a gang, beat people up, and rob stores through intimidation. Many people who associate with this culture are not only indifferent to such violence, but condone it.
  • I've seen that before, not in gangs, we didn't really have those where I used to live, it's just what kids did. Come together in a big group just to cause trouble, usually of a violent nature.

I would argue that they do want to though. If that's what the people they look up to are doing it makes sense to me that they would want to follow in their footsteps.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    RebeccaS:

'It's the culture that is the problem, not the color of their skin.'

mynameisuntz:

'It undoubtedly stems from culture.'

I see.
  • @RebeccaS - what I meant to say is that no twelve year-old independently arrives at the thought of, "gee I want to form a group of twenty peers and go around beating up unsuspecting people." They want to do it because their culture reinforces it as ideal.
  • Oh, sorry, I missed that. Yeah, I totally agree :)
    edited September 2012
    Where does culture come from?

Do cultures arise in isolation, or co-dependently?

RebeccaS:

'I cross the street whenever I see anyone, regardless of their color, obviously into that culture and mentality. I don't want to be anywhere near them. '

Do you think that on some level they know that?
    edited September 2012
    Culture comes from tradition, mostly.
  • Where does culture come from?

Do cultures arise in isolation, or co-dependently?

RebeccaS:

'I cross the street whenever I see anyone, regardless of their color, obviously into that culture and mentality. I don't want to be anywhere near them. '

Do you think that on some level they know that?

Yes. And I think they like it. They see it as power. They can think what they like though, as long as they do it away from me.
  • Strong cultural identity view arises from hardship. It's a coping mechanism.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Behaviors and beliefs of a particular group. While I wouldn't put it as simply as "rich whites are afraid of people with different color of skin" I do think that is part of it, on a much more complex level. It goes back to our (white people's) constant quest to dominate every culture that is different from mostly Anglo-Saxon culture. It seems like a very long time ago to us now, but considering the history of humanity, the time period where other races were considered by whites to be savages, was not very long ago at all, and the fallout from that for those cultures has been huge.

Not only did we see them as lesser people, but even today, we seek to assimilate them into our culture, all but completely erasing their own culture. While today most of us realize this is wrong, racisim exists on levels even in people who declare themselves non-racist. I have a very close friend who lives in Ottawa and is an Ojibwe First Nations, and we have discussions about this stuff all the time. My discussions with her and her family have lead me to believe racism and oppression exists very much today, and even in the people who believe they are not racist. The cultures are very different, but the divide between them in the US has mostly been caused by white people, and there is no denying that.

Some people make an argument that it's time to move on, to get over the past, to live with what we have today. But I don't think one single white person has an idea of what it's like for your entire generations of people, your language, your spiritual beliefs, your way of life to disappear at the hands of others who insist you will learn their way. I don't think without being part of one of those groups, you can say you have even an inkling of how it affects people individually or as a cultural group, to still today be told "you don't matter and we don't value you" as we continue to break promises and hold beliefs that allow some people to control other people's basic human rights.
  • Strong cultural identity view arises from hardship. It's a coping mechanism.

Hardly. I know a lot of wealthy people who are strongly identified with their culture.
  • Where does culture come from?

The response to one's environment is probably one contribution to culture. So, in this case, a child responding to an environment consisting of: pro-violent peers, lack of authoritative oversight, lack of opportunity, etc.
  • RebeccaS:
    Yes. And I think they like it. They see it as power. They can think what they like though, as long as they do it away from me.
    Who wants power? Those who feel powerless.
    I didn't mean to say that I didn't believe racism and oppression existed before talking to my friend, lol. Just that I saw it in a different way, even within myself. How even the need to differentiate people by their color of skin when intending no harm, is racist. It's a very difficult thing to break regardless of your intention of using such divisive words.
    edited September 2012
    Not necessarily :lol: Think of multi-millionaires who constantly want more money. They don't do it because they feel poor. It's a greed thing, a status thing. And greed and status aren't solely reserved for the wealthy. These are just very base kinds of human instinct, available to anyone.
    sndymorn
    edited September 2012
    Violent music and culture is frightening if you fear violence, but if you can see beyond that, you see there are hearts there, like anywhere else.

When you see someone's heart, it's impossible to fear them, whatever they do to you.

• But is seeing the heart of the oppressed what comfortable, prosperous people fear most of all in this world?
  • RebeccaS:
    Hardly. I know a lot of wealthy people who are strongly identified with their culture.
    I think that suits my point better than yours.
  • RebeccaS:
    These are just very base kinds of human instinct
    But are they?
    edited September 2012
    I stay away from violent people out of self respect. I'm not denying fear of violence, but I'm not exactly scared of it, either. I've seen a few fights in my time (I'm from a bad area myself) and can stand my ground, I'm also a firearms enthusiast and am quite comfortable around guns. However, I don't invite those negative cultures and energies into my life and avoid them wherever possible.

"Being brave doesn't mean you go looking for trouble" (yeah I just quoted the lion king) :lol:

I don't look at things in terms of poor little victim and big bad perpetrator. That viewpoint serves nobody.
  • RebeccaS:

But are they?

Yes. They are.
    karasti said:

Behaviors and beliefs of a particular group. While I wouldn't put it as simply as "rich whites are afraid of people with different color of skin" I do think that is part of it, on a much more complex level. It goes back to our (white people's) constant quest to dominate every culture that is different from mostly Anglo-Saxon culture. It seems like a very long time ago to us now, but considering the history of humanity, the time period where other races were considered by whites to be savages, was not very long ago at all, and the fallout from that for those cultures has been huge.

Not only did we see them as lesser people, but even today, we seek to assimilate them into our culture, all but completely erasing their own culture. While today most of us realize this is wrong, racisim exists on levels even in people who declare themselves non-racist. I have a very close friend who lives in Ottawa and is an Ojibwe First Nations, and we have discussions about this stuff all the time. My discussions with her and her family have lead me to believe racism and oppression exists very much today, and even in the people who believe they are not racist. The cultures are very different, but the divide between them in the US has mostly been caused by white people, and there is no denying that.

Some people make an argument that it's time to move on, to get over the past, to live with what we have today. But I don't think one single white person has an idea of what it's like for your entire generations of people, your language, your spiritual beliefs, your way of life to disappear at the hands of others who insist you will learn their way. I don't think without being part of one of those groups, you can say you have even an inkling of how it affects people individually or as a cultural group, to still today be told "you don't matter and we don't value you" as we continue to break promises and hold beliefs that allow some people to control other people's basic human rights.

Quite honestly, I think it's about time to get a broader perspective.

Because we're living in it, all you seem to see is a White culture attempting to dominate non-White cultures. Guess what..it's a big world out there, and other cultures -- non-White -- have attempted to dominate other cultures -- also non-White -- for long periods of time in the world.

For example, all I hear is about how the Whites dominated the North American Indian populations. It's all but unknown to read about how certain Plains Indians cultures, continually dominated -- through death and destruction -- other Indian cultures. To be more specific, some Indian cultures (particularly Puebloan Indians) in what is today New Mexico at first welcomed Spanish/Mexican incursions into the area, because they hoped that the Spanish/Mexican presence would keep the Plains Indians at bey.

In Southeast Asia, as time passed, dominant cultures changed, but were always there -- at various times the Khmer (ancestral Cambodians) were dominant for centuries, the ancestral Burmese were dominant, and the Thais were dominant. And not that far away, Pakistanis and Indians are still fighting for dominance in that sphere. In the Far East, Japan has long tried to dominate its neighbors (and at one point the world), and what exactly do you think China is attempting to do in our historical period?

I could go on. But suffice it to say that one culture attempting to dominate another culture has gone on for centuries, and is not limited to White against non-White cultures.

RebeccaS
    edited September 2012
    RebeccaS said:

RebeccaS:

But are they?
    Yes. They are.

I think greed is co-dependent with ignorance.

If you see yourself as incredibly vulnerable, what is there to do but build a fortress, and if you can't do that, storm the fortresses of others. That goes for the rich as well as the poor in this world.

It's just that the rich have the castles. The street kids have whatever they can find.

person
  • Ignorance or arrogance. Or both :lol:
    Of course it isn't limited to white vs nonwhite. I never said it was. But in talking about the topic at hand, cultures that have been long oppressed (and not just in the US, but around the world) do not just "get over it" to suddenly live in peace with those who oppressed them. In other areas of the world, this still shows itself as civil wars. In the US, that is no longer the case but the war between cultures still goes on, and still has victims. It's easier for me to see and talk about the white vs nonwhite because yes, it is what I live. I live in an area with Native Americans as the major minority. But it's not my viewpoint as a white person, it's come in talking to other minority groups about how they really feel about it, not just learning about it from so-called American history text books, which are the worst books you can read on American history. (not saying that is what you do, Vinlyn, just what I see/hear a lot of when the topic comes up.) In a much more minor way in my personal experience, just being female I've been held back in some ways, and even in those minor ways, it sucks, and it does devalue you on some level unless you have the skills to fight against it internally...and not everyone has those skills (going back to Maslow's hierarchy...you can't have the skills to be internally happy and such if you are fighting to put food on the table). In my world, it's only been wages. When I started my job in 2005, I started at the same time as my now-husband. I had a 4 year degree. He did not. He got a higher starting wage, and when I found out and asked a manager later on, it was because "men tend to have better technical skills than women." Just another way that the groups in control keep a hand over the "lesser" groups. And it does happen. Just harder to see when you aren't part of any of the lesser groups. The farther down the ladder you are on "lesser groups" the worse it gets.
    edited September 2012
    I didn't oppress anyone, but history somehow falls on my shoulders? Nonsense.
    Of course it isn't limited to white vs nonwhite. I never said it was. But in talking about the topic at hand, cultures that have been long oppressed (and not just in the US, but around the world) do not just "get over it" to suddenly live in peace with those who oppressed them.
    Because I'm white and white people did some shitty things it somehow has something to do with me? I would class that as racism.

It's just stupid if you ask me.
    RebeccaS said:

I didn't oppress anyone, but history somehow falls on my shoulders? Nonsense.

Of course it isn't limited to white vs nonwhite. I never said it was. But in talking about the topic at hand, cultures that have been long oppressed (and not just in the US, but around the world) do not just "get over it" to suddenly live in peace with those who oppressed them.
    Because I'm white and white people did some shitty things it somehow has something to do with me? I would class that as racism.

It's just stupid if you ask me.

Overall, I agree with you, Rebecca.

Just depending on what era of American history you want to look at, there's been a lot of prejudice against White subgroups. Take a look at how the Irish were once treated...and the Italians...and that's just for starters.

• It's shitty that shitty people did shitty things, but these things happened to the people before us, not us. If we just let it go maybe we could end it once and for all.
  • RebeccaS said:

It's shitty that shitty people did shitty things, but these things happened to the people before us, not us. If we just let it go maybe we could end it once and for all.

When you say, "just let it go," what specifically are you referring to?
    edited September 2012
    The history. I don't mean forgetting it, I mean not letting it affect our lives now. We should never forget the things that have happened lest they happen again, but we should move on rather than letting it weigh on the shoulders of generation after generation, propagating it.

White guilt, I guess.
    But the problem is that we tend to think it's over and let it go, that we (overall white people as a group in the US) are no longer racist and oppressing other groups, but that isn't true. Shitty people still do shitty things in the name of politics and the economy. I'm not saying that black people join gangs and kill people because white people are evil. It's just a line of thinking that goes that far back for a lot of them. Overall, it's on each individual to rise above their challenges and to see other people for who they are-just other people. It's on other races to see me as another person just as it is on me to see them as just another person. But if you ever study racism and how deep the ties run as far as sociology goes, it's there. Looking at it from a point of view of "that black guy versus me" is not what I am talking about. But the overall history and sociological impacts. Does the guy walking down the street look at you and say "damn white woman, it's her fault I don't have a good job." No, I don't think so. But the overall fault (as in a devisive crack, not blame) that runs behind how our whole economy lets people get rich on the backs of the poor has a lot of racial ties to it. And if you believe the rich white people don't control a whole lot of what happens in America, I want some of what you're smoking.

• mynameisuntzmynameisuntz Explorer
    edited September 2012
    RebeccaS said:

The history. I don't mean forgetting it, I mean not letting it affect our lives now. We should never forget the things that have happened lest they happen again, but we should move on rather than letting it weigh on the shoulders of generation after generation, propagating it.

White guilt, I guess.

The issue is that history has paved the way to the present, which is still rife with institutionalized discrimination and oppression. I agree with not blaming people just because they are of the same background as the original oppressors, but the idea of just moving on is difficult considering the times are still unfavorable for the oppressed.
  • I guess I just don't see who is oppressed anymore, not in our countries. I'm not saying that shitty people have been irradicated, just that it's not the majority anymore and most people don't buy into it. We still have nazis! But they're fringe groups on the edge of society and have nothing to do with most of us.
  • If you do not see the oppression then you may not be looking for it very thoroughly. It is most certainly there. Based on your username I will assume you are a female, and thus you belong to one of those populations who sees discrimination still.
  • Not really. In places, sure, but in our countries and with our laws? Not so much.
  • mynameisuntzmynameisuntz Explorer
    edited September 2012
    RebeccaS said:

Not really. In places, sure, but in our countries and with our laws? Not so much.

Sexual discrimination laws, rape laws, abortion laws, politicians targeting Planned Parenthood specifically due to birth control/plan B services, wage gap, the lack of protection for female troops from sexual assault, the objectification of the female form, etc.

I mean, on average a woman makes $0.77 for ever $1.00 a man makes for the same qualifications, education, training, and job - controlling for variables such as state/county wage, cost of living, etc.

Discrimination absolutely exists.
    In the US, gays are still oppressed. They are not allowed to have a lot of legal rights with their partners that hetero couples share (I realize that is not the case in Canada, but it still is here). Women's health rights are still oppressed by some groups, and one of the guys seeking to be president, would like to oppress them further for ALL women, and he has a lot of supporters. The job I spoke of where I was hired for less pay because I am a woman, was in working for McDonald's tech support. A huge company and a huge employer. Not a small fringe group. In the area I live in, all minorities are still oppressed, and the same is true of a good part of the whole state I live in (though thankfully not all). If you are black and enter a store here, you will be watched and followed by employees. When I was younger I dated a black guy, and it happened to ME. Even when I wasn't with him, even being a local from a well known family, I was no longer trusted in stores because I dated a black guy.
    RebeccaS said:

White guilt, I guess.

I agree.

My great great grandparents came from Ireland, probably during the potato famine. Ended up in western New York. Based on the time frame and location, were probably canal diggers. Poor as dirt. Became farmers. Struggled. Were looked at as the "poor Irish"...

...and it had nothing to do with me. Didn't know them. Didn't exist when they existed. Never even saw a picture of them or knowingly touched or saw anything they had ever possessed.

karasti said:

...I'm not saying that black people join gangs and kill people because white people are evil...

I hope you're not saying that, because most gang crime is on other gangs or fringers.

Sexual discrimination laws, rape laws, abortion laws, politicians targeting Planned Parenthood specifically due to birth control/plan B services, wage gap, the lack of protection for female troops from sexual assault, the objectification of the female form, etc.

I mean, on average a woman makes $0.77 for ever $1.00 a man makes for the same qualifications, education, training, and job - controlling for variables such as state/county wage, cost of living, etc.

You make some good points, but just because one doesn't believe in federal funding for Planned Parenthood, doesn't make one an oppressor. I don't believe in federal funding for local libraries. Am I trying oppress those who can read?

• vinlyn said:

You make some good points, but just because one doesn't believe in federal funding for Planned Parenthood, doesn't make one an oppressor. I don't believe in federal funding for local libraries. Am I trying oppress those who can read?

Depends. Are you (general "you") targeting Planned Parenthood because of the services they provide for women, or because you are trying to remove funding from all similar medical service centers regardless of their focal treatment? That is, are you trying to stop women from having access to birth control/abortion/plan B treatment(s)? Or are you simply trying to remove federal funding from the medical sector without targeting certain services over others?

Furthermore, to illustrate what I am saying, most all health insurance plans provide coverage to men for hormonal treatments. These plans do not provide the same to women for their hormonal treatments because said treatments are often forms of birth control (despite their utility in being prescribed for hormonal treatment). Even though many birth controls are prescribed for estrogen/progesterone treatment, people do not want these covered under health care solely because they are classified as birth control.

I call that sexist.

vinlyn said:

Depends. Are you (general "you") targeting Planned Parenthood because of the services they provide for women, or because you are trying to remove funding from all similar medical service centers regardless of their focal treatment? That is, are you trying to stop women from having access to birth control/abortion/plan B treatment(s)? Or are you simply trying to remove federal funding from the medical sector without targeting certain services over others?

Furthermore, to illustrate what I am saying, most all health insurance plans provide coverage to men for hormonal treatments. These plans do not provide the same to women for their hormonal treatments because said treatments are often forms of birth control (despite their utility in being prescribed for hormonal treatment). Even though many birth controls are prescribed for estrogen/progesterone treatment, people do not want these covered under health care solely because they are classified as birth control.

I call that sexist.
    But that's exactly what I disagree with. Just because you don't believe in federal funding for birth control, doesn't mean you are oppressing women. Now, if you are trying to pass a law against the use of birth control, that may be oppression. In case you hadn't noticed, we need to stop funding everything that we currently fund. Even as a former educator, I think there is some federal funding of schools that can be cut.

This discussion has been closed.