Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is your ideal meditation space ?

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited October 2012 in Meditation
It'd be nice to a have a large house with a zen sand garden in the back. I'd rake it every morning and evening and then sit down beneath the shade of a tree and allow my gaze to settle on the the waves of it all. I'd sip on my icy cold water and just sit and sit till nothing of me remains. Till the past is dead and the future no longer concerns me and all that matters is listening to and watching the birds jump about and tweet in the trees. Enjoying the scent of the lavenders wafted over by the breeze pass over my nostrils and all I would be able to do is enjoy everything within my the range of my senses. And then with the sound of a car horn life calls back to me again and the burdens of society returns. I really wish the serenity of a zen garden could be found even within the least beautiful or peaceful of places. Perhaps I should sit and meditate on my breath a bit. What is your ideal meditation space ?
Jeffrey

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2012
    The ideal meditation space is always this very moment.
    PremaSagarRebeccaSpoptart
  • My ideal meditation space is outdoors in a quiet area, under a shady tree, where I can hear the wind in the trees. It really takes me to a calm, quiet place in my mind, and it's easy to meditate.
    MaryAnne
  • ZeroZero Veteran

What is your ideal meditation space ?

The space between my ears...
    sova
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

But has it got a widescreen TV? :p
    PrairieGhostMaryAnne
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Ooh - lovely question. I know we're not supposed to get attached, even to meditation spaces - but I find myself dreaming of "the perfect" one often, just last night in fact. I'm with @Dakini on the outdoors thing, though I'd love to have a sunny, airy shrine room in my house as well; something that would invite us all to use it for that purpose, and would be dedicated to that purpose.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    PedanticPorpoise:
    But has it got a widescreen TV?
    Yeah, but good luck wiring it up. :)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Wherever the mood strikes me, really. But I normally like to head out into the forest to a certain stump and sit on it. I haven't been able to do that though since we now have some wild boar out there. They are fiercely territorial. If I did go back there it'd only be with my .357 magnum so... I'd rather just leave them be.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

PedanticPorpoise:

But has it got a widescreen TV?
    Yeah, but good luck wiring it up. :)

Some solar panels would be handy to power all the domestic equipment..... ;)
    PrairieGhost
  • This is a real place, a few miles from my home... Island Beach State Park. Beautiful, pristine, sugar sand beach, salty air, and mostly isolated 9 months out of the year.
    It's not unusual to see migrating whales, dolphin, foxes, and all sorts of land and sea birds. I can sit on that beach for hours and just ..... be.

Yeah, New Jersey isn't all urban areas and industry in the shadows of Philadelphia and New York City. We have lots of beautiful areas.
    lobster
  • SileSile Veteran
    Omg - this is beautiful. I can just feel the sand. Gorgeous shot.
  • The location where I find myself at, at that moment. :D
  • Mine would be the place where I am at that moment in time. It could be a place with a baby crying outside or road works, or a mountain top with a cold wind, wherever it may be, it is the place to be.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I normally meditate at home, which is just fine, familiar, mostly quiet in the morning especially in the winter. But this is my favorite place. It's a high overlook along a hiking trail near my home. You have to hike about 2 miles to get to it, and it's pretty populated in the summer, but in the spring and fall, it's quiet and lovely.
    PrairieGhostMaryAnneSilelobster
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I would just like a spare room, lol. Nothing fancy... just a blank wall and some cushy carpet.

Right now, my meditation spot is in front of the only empty wall we have, next to a bookshelf in the only room in my apartment, lol. But not living alone makes it difficult with the shared space and all.
    Sile
  • A major purpose of meditation as I understand it is to see through my ideals, including those about the ideal place to meditate :)

I try to practice when I am not actively engaged in any task. Waiting in line, driving, sitting in a stupid meeting at work, taking a shower, doing the dishes or walking are all great opportunities for letting go of habitual patterns of the mind by focusing on the here and now and/or a mantra. I am far from always getting satisfactory results and I am sometimes bitterly frustrated but I firmly believe that "real life" is where meditation needs to happen first and foremost.

However, I have found that it is very beneficial to have consistent formal sitting practice. Just like an athlete cannot perform in a competition without training in the gym, so it is unlikely to be able to live mindfully without practicing for that in a simplified and safe environment. I've found that practicing in my sangha with like minded individuals is most conductive to that end. The place I go to is in an urban setting, nor particularly beautiful and far from quiet. But it does seem to hit the karma harder than any solitary practice I've ever done in majestic natural settings.
  • guys, it is good practice to put a shrine set up in a matchbox. I will try and do one shortly. Bit of doop, birthday candle, mantra scroll, pic of buddha etc.
    It is not the place or size that matters, it is what you do with it . . .
    As the daka said to the dakini . . . :thumbsup: