Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are we simply waiting it out?

Karma will run its course, and we'll have to go through it. And once it's exhausted, we won't return. So are we basically waiting it out? All activities - worldly and spiritual - are simply about making this 'waiting' a little more pleasant, is that it?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think that makes sense so long as you aren't creating any new karma. How's that going for you?
  • I am just asking. Not asserting.
    Sorry, I've got a lot of smart ass in me. All I'm saying is that we're always creating new karma so its never exhausted.
    IndigoBlueSky9
  • person said:

Sorry, I've got a lot of smart ass in me. All I'm saying is that we're always creating new karma so its never exhausted.

But according to budhism, isn't liberation possible only after karma is exhausted?
    I'm not totally sure that's how it works. My understanding is that liberation occurs when one sees through the illusion of the self, at that point one no longer creates karma. I guess that's why I asked how that was working for you.

So maybe in nirvana there is an exhaustion of karma but that doesn't occur simply by waiting it out.
  • I think it would be frightening to wait it out in terms of what has not caught up with us.
  • I think we stop creating new karma when liberation is attained-
    But we still live out remaining karma while we live out the rest of this life. Since no new karma is made though- we don't have to come back again.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We got to keep making the good stuff, and eliminate/exhaust the bad stuff.
    As far as I understand.
    but then, some things are beyond me, other than dealing with current stuff as best I can. That's exhausting enough without worrying about exhausting Kamma....
    mfranzdorf
  • If you are always waiting you are not doing. Now..... now ....... now :om:
    IndigoBlueSky9
  • Hi music:
    Karma will run its course, and we'll have to go through it. And once it's exhausted, we won't return. So are we basically waiting it out? All activities - worldly and spiritual - are simply about making this 'waiting' a little more pleasant, is that it?
    Striving does not cause enlightenment.

But striving for enlightenment may indicate that we are closer to the end of suffering. So it is better to strive.
  • Hi music:

Striving does not cause enlightenment.

But striving for enlightenment may indicate that we are closer to the end of suffering. So it is better to strive.

I believe there is a process, the striving is a realisation that there is a problem with life, it is full of suffering. Then one strives to become cured, however you then need to realise that striving to get cured makes you still sick, so I think it is best to start striving and then getting to a point where you see clearly that it is not skilful.
  • Yes, I agree, ThailandTom.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2012

Yes, I agree, ThailandTom.

Can I ask what is with the commas? It sounds really sarcastic if you say it to yourself or as if you are looking down on me. Just the way it has come across to me on reading it that is all :) And people please just call me Tom from now on, cheers me dears.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    It's just punctuation. Sorry.

To me, saying:

Yes I agree ThailandTom. Sounds like I'm saying it like a mach*... wait, forget it.

I'm not looking down on you. :) Tom.

*machine
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Everyone has their own style or writing and to me it just sounded that way when I read it to myself, I read it out loud and it had a sarcastic tone to it. This is an example I guess of how the same thing or situation can be totally different from different perspectives. I wasn't having a go at you either, I was just asking out of curiosity.
  • Oh, I see what you mean now. No, not that way.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    music said:

No, that's essentially how the doctrine of the Jains is presented in the suttas (e.g., MN 101). From the Buddhist point of view, we simply have to eliminate the production of kamma in the present, not wait and exhaust all of our kamma, which is a good thing if we assume for the moment that all of the teachings on rebirth are literally true since it'd be statistically impossible to exhaust all of our kamma due to the fact that a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3).
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Karma is only an appearance such as "the sun rises in the east". Actually you cannot find karma when you examine this moment. Thoughts arise from nowhere and cannot be pinned down. The three times: past, present, and future are delusions. Without time or reference there is no karma. At the same time karma matters to a suffering being. A buddhist sage said: "my view is vast as the sky. But I respect karma like finely ground flour."
  • music said:

No, we're not waiting it out at all. That sounds so passive. We're doing everything we can to have right motivation, in order to create the conditions for as much positive karmic fruition in the future as possible. For one thing, that helps compensate for any "errors" we may have made in the past. And for another, it helps speed our eventual Liberation. And besides, it's just plain the right thing to do. :)

JeffreyRebeccaSThailandTom
  • Jason said:

music said:

No, that's essentially how the doctrine of the Jains is presented in the suttas (e.g., MN 101). From the Buddhist point of view, we simply have to eliminate the production of kamma in the present, not wait and exhaust all of our kamma, which is a good thing if we assume for the moment that all of the teachings on rebirth are literally true since it'd be statistically impossible to exhaust all of our kamma due to the fact that a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3).
    I understanding that we eliminate present karma, but the storehouse of karma (especially the past which determines our present and future) must be wiped out, right? Or, wouldn't birth continue based on those unresolved karmas?
  • Karma is dependent on ignorance. Without ignorance no karma is created.
  • Past karma would only be relative to a present 'self'. Since there is no self or lifespan or being that we can find now that means that there can be no relationship between the past karma and a self here and now.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Karma is dependent on ignorance. Without ignorance no karma is created.

I think you're forgetting that people can make a conscious decision to practice non-skillful acts.

• vinylyn, it's just a traditional teaching, the 12 links of co-arising. The conscious choice to make an unskilfull action would be based on ignorance. In this instance ignorance doesn't mean unconscious rather it means shying away from experience.

Because we shy away from an experience there is an 'it out there' and a 'me in here'..

If you crack that nut it all comes apart and the Buddha qualities such as love take over.
    person
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

No...because we aren't being propelled by some force outside ourselves either toward, or away from, liberation. All motion comes from ourselves. And until we have cut the bonds of cyclic existence, we continue to create karma.

I found these explanations immensely helpful:

From Khensur Rinpoche:

"Without overcoming the mind of ignorance all the mental afflictions that derive from it cannot be overcome, so one will continue to create karma and be born in cyclic existence." (Khensur Rinpoche, commentary on the Heart Sutra, Somerset, England on 17 -20 August 2007)

Yangsi Rinpoche:

"And if we are to discuss liberation, it is first essential that we have a clear idea of what liberation means. The three realms--the desire, form and formless realms--are the realms of cyclic existence, but they are not cyclic existence itself. Liberation from cyclic existence does not merely mean liberation from these places.

Nor does liberation merely mean liberation from delusions and karma. This is part of it, but not the totality. Liberation from cyclic existence means liberation from the bondage of the continuum of our aggregates, which are created by delusions and karma...

Liberation must be attained within our very own minds, as what binds us to cyclic existence also exists within our very own minds. Cyclic existence ends when we cut the continuum of the bondage of delusions and karma by the direct realization of emptiness. This is the only antidote powerful enough to achieve this result." (Yangsi Rinpoche, Practicing the Path)

From the Dalai Lama:

"Once we gain a direct realization of emptiness, we no longer accumulate karma to propel rebirth in cyclic existence. As we gradually deepen our direct realization, so that it permeates our entire experience and destroys the afflictions, we eventually eliminate the root of grasping at intrinsic existence altogether and the continuity of rebirth in cyclic existence is cut. This is true freedom, or liberation, where we no longer create new karma through ignorance, where no conditions exist to activate past karma, and where the afflictions have been destroyed at their root." (XIV Dalai Lama, The Middle Way: Faith Grounded in Reason)
  • even after liberation, the remaining karma will still work.
    you just stop creating new karma.
    at the point of death, that is when the karma is exhausted.
    this entity called I is then completely extinguished.
    person said:

I'm not totally sure that's how it works. My understanding is that liberation occurs when one sees through the illusion of the self, at that point one no longer creates karma. I guess that's why I asked how that was working for you.

So maybe in nirvana there is an exhaustion of karma but that doesn't occur simply by waiting it out.

• There is nobody to whom the karma belongs to. I'm not sure about this one.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Since there is no seperate self, wouldn't wholesome acts be beneficial for all? What I mean is, if we are liberated and no longer feel the need to create good karma for our individual selves, would it not make sense to continue creating good karma for a spilling over so-to-speak?

If Buddha kept adding good karma to the pot after his awakening, I can only hope we all strive to do the same.

If not for us then for the rest of us... Seeing as how there is no real difference.

• Do good, get good . . . while you wait . . .
  • don't know...i'm not enlightened.
    I focus on the here and now. One day at a time.
    Jeffrey
  • i think we need to plants seeds of good virtue so when they ripen we can experience some good karma. dont forget some buddhists believe that karma is carried with you when you are reborn so you could be paying of life times of karma. So i would recommend being mindful and just be a virtuous person
    ThailandTom
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

Not as long as you are still making new karma because if that is the case, you will be waiting forever! That would be like sitting there waiting for a bathtub to drain out all the water, when the spigot is still on and running. In this case, the tub will never go empty, so you will be waiting forever!

What there is to do it not just sit there and wait, but to turn off the spigot! And you turn off the spigot by practicing and removing ignorance, greed and hate from your mind. Only then can the spigot be turned off. The only way to stop this whole thing is not to wait, but to get enlightenment.
    :)
    Sile
  • Wisdom23 said:

i think we need to plants seeds of good virtue so when they ripen we can experience some good karma. dont forget some buddhists believe that karma is carried with you when you are reborn so you could be paying of life times of karma. So i would recommend being mindful and just be a virtuous person

Going back to one of my verry first insights into karma through a book by the Dalai Lama, hey the ryhmes lol. Anyway, yes the seedof karma we plant or throw do not always land on fertile soil, they can ripen very soon or they can take aeons to do so. So on that note why not plant the better seeds now as it is only going to come back at ya in the future some time, and furthermore I always like the idea of diluting ones negative karma in the present.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I think we stop creating new karma when liberation is attained-
    But we still live out remaining karma while we live out the rest of this life. Since no new karma is made though- we don't have to come back again.

Yes, that's how it's described in the suttas.
  • I think we stop creating new karma when liberation is attained-

What about the Ahrant? I have read that they are still subject to past karma...
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I think we stop creating new karma when liberation is attained-

Yes, that's what he said..
    edited October 2012
    music said:

I understanding that we eliminate present karma, but the storehouse of karma (especially the past which determines our present and future) must be wiped out, right? Or, wouldn't birth continue based on those unresolved karmas?

No, that's not my understanding at least. Essentially, kamma is a nonlinear and self-sustaining process of conditionality, and when present kamma is stopped, the kammic system (sort of speaking) breaks down, dissolves, falls apart, ceases to function, is no longer relevant.

Early Buddhists, however, did think that kamma was tied to lifespan, so to account for living arahants, they surmised that one aspect of kamma that had to play itself out after awakening was that which determines, influences, or supports the length of one's present life. For example, in addressing whether kamma ripens for an arahant, Phra Noah answers (from a typical Theravadin point of view):
    Karma doesn't exist, it is just acts that have been performed. They may give results, or they may not, depending on things like one's later actions, and other impersonal factors.

The existence of the arahant is not entirely dependent on karma, but it is true that once there are no supporting factors (like karma) for their life, their life ends. This is true for all beings. The only difference is that the arahant is not creating further karma, so a) their life span may be shorter (it may also be longer due to non-performance of bad karma!) than non-arahants, and b) at death there will be no relinking, which requires karma.
    So, in that sense, I suppose there could be some 'waiting,' but I don't tend to see it that way, as if one is just waiting to die or something. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu is often prone to saying, "We're not committing spiritual suicide here."
    ThailandTom
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    The way I understand it, it's not simply ever-increasing good karma that causes enlightenment. An increase in good karma (ripening) can create favorable conditions for practice, and that practice can eventually result in our enlightenment. But simply wiping out negative karma and creating positive karma, alone, isn't the same thing as eliminating the root of grasping and breaking the cycle of existence altogether.

The reality is that without developing wisdom and insight, we are not likely to accidentally establish new patterns of behavior which accidentally generate increasingly-good karma.

Jason
    edited October 2012

I'm not sure about other traditions, but in Theravada, kamma is divided into different categories, and there's one category called garuka-kamma that's considered to be so weighty or indefinitely effective that it must play itself out if the conditions are ripe, even for arahants. For example, from Narada Mahathera's The Buddha and His Teachings:
    No person is exempt from this class of Kamma. Even the Buddhas and Arahants may reap the effects of their past Kamma.

The Arahant Moggallāna in the remote past, instigated by his wicked wife, attempted to kill his mother and father. As a result of this he suffered long in a woeful state, and in his last birth was clubbed to death by bandits.

To the Buddha was imputed the murder of a female devotee of the naked ascetics.

This was the result of his having insulted a Pacceka Buddha in one of His previous births.

The Buddha's foot was slightly injured 'when Devadatta made a futile attempt to kill Him. This was due to His killing a step-brother of his in a previous birth with the object of appropriating his property.
    I think the idea is debatable, though. For one, many of these stories and/or the idea that the ripening of past kamma was the cause are found in the commentaries and not the suttas themselves; and even then there are discrepancies. Take the story of Maha Moggallana's death mentioned above, for example. From his entry in Buddhist Dictionary of Pali Proper Names:
    According to the Commentaries (J.v.125ff) his death resulted from a plot of the Niganthas. Moggallāna used to visit various worlds and return with his report that he had discovered that those who followed the Buddha's teaching reached happy worlds, while the followers of the heretics were reborn in woeful conditions. These statements diminished the number of the heretics and they bribed brigands to kill Moggallāna. They surrounded the Elder's cell in Kālasilā, but he, aware of their intentions, escaped through the keyhole. On six successive days this happened; on the seventh, they caught him and beat him, crushing his bones and leaving him for dead. Having recovered consciousness, with a great effort of will, he dragged himself to the Buddha in order to take his leave, and there he died, to the sorrow of the deva worlds. This sad death is said to have been the result of a sin committed by him in a previous birth. Acting on the instigation of his wife, he had taken his blind parents into a forest, where, pretending that they were attacked by thieves, he had beaten them to death. For this deed he suffered in hell for innumerable years, and in his last birth lost his life by violence.

The account in DhA.iii.65ff. differs in several details. The thieves tried for two months before succeeding in their plot and, in the story of the past, when the blind parents were being beaten, they cried out to the supposed thieves to spare their son. Moggallāna, very touched by this, did not kill them. Before passing into Nibbāna, he preached to the Buddha, at his request, and performed many miracles, returning to Kālasilā to die. According to the Jātaka account his cremation was performed with much honour, and the Buddha had the relics collected and a Thūpa erected in Veluvana.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Well, go do it. Go sit down and wait it out. I bet you you can't. Desires will pop into your mind, you'll want to do stuff, experience stuff.

As soon as we're really able to sit and wait, there is nothing more to wait for.
  • I didn't mean literally sitting and waiting. I meant more like going where the tide takes us, safe in the knowledge that all events and circumstances are just karmic manifestations.
  • rejoice! your boundless ignorance and delusion will not diminish the void.
    thank god, something you can't be blamed for.
    Jeffrey
  • music said:

I didn't mean literally sitting and waiting. I meant more like going where the tide takes us, safe in the knowledge that all events and circumstances are just karmic manifestations.

Same thing will happen :p

edited October 2012
    music said:

I didn't mean literally sitting and waiting. I meant more like going where the tide takes us, safe in the knowledge that all events and circumstances are just karmic manifestations.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. However, it should be noted that not everyone will agree that "all events and circumstances are just karmic manifestations." Some see kamma as only a single aspect or conditioner of experience.
  • He not busy being born is busy dying.
    Bob Dylan
    PrairieGhost
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

I think the "safe in the knowledge" feeling has definite applications. If you use that as a way to calmly and optimistically approach practice, that can (imho) be hugely valuable. Because imagining that it might take eons and eons to attain liberation can be daunting and depressing; but if your attitude is, "It's all good food for practice," that's really healthy.

Without using the good attitude as a support for wisdom practice, though, without cultivating insight, that good attitude just means we'd bob around endlessly--maybe with a good attitude, but not ultimately helping ourselves and others all that much. If you add genuine practice developing wisdom and insight to your good attitude, though, then you could be a really happy person, and one who is helping others to become happy--and most importantly, helping yourself and others become enlightened.

There could be cheerful tolerance, but no ultimate happiness to be found bobbing around; eventually it becomes obvious that something more needs to happen. Once you develop wisdom and insight, you begin to realize that cheerful bobbing utterly pales in comparison to even the most beginning taste of ultimate liberation.

The cheerful bobbing is probably close to the idea of being in a god or demi-god realm; soaking in pleasant feelings, but mistaking those for liberation. It's like an old Hocak tale of an ant living under a log; he jumped high one day--no other ant had tried this--and bumped his head on the bottom of the log, prompting him to opine, "Only I, only I, can touch the sky!" He thought that was the sky, but it was only his limited experience of the bottom of the log. Exciting, but not the sky.

More worrisome, the tide--which is only our karma from previous actions--is not guaranteed to keep us bobbing in pleasant circles. Karma increases, and even the slightest negative karma from the past or present can be expanding into something heavy, and then you are bobbing not-so-cheerfully again. We are always flirting with disaster, and the chances of accidentally bobbing happily for multiple lifetimes are very low.

A more applicable metaphor, given the rarity of human life and other lives that afford opportunity for practice, might be doing cartwheels at the edge of the Grand Canyon. The chances of messing up are significant ;) So be happy and cheerful at the edge of the Grand Canyon, but make a constant and sustained effort to direct your cartwheels away from the edge while you're at it.

musicPrairieGhost
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    music said:

Some manifestations can cause suffering and some can allieve it... Unless a nhilistic stance is taken, the logical choice is obvious.
  • Here is utterance(udana) by Adhimutta as he simply waits out his time.

Whatever's compounded,
    wherever a state of becoming's obtained,
    all that has no one in charge:
    so says the Great Seer.
    Whoever discerns this,
    as taught by the Awakened One,
    would no more grasp hold of any state of becoming
    than he would a hot iron ball.
    I have no 'I was,'
    no 'I will be.'
    Fabrications will simply go out of existence.
    What's to lament there in that?
    For one who sees, as it actually is,
    the pure arising of phenomena,
    the pure seriality of fabrications,
    there's no fear.
    When seeing the world with discernment
    as on a par with grass & twigs,
    finding no 'mine-ness,'
    thinking, 'There's nothing of mine,'
    he feels no sorrow.
    Dissatisfied with this carcass,
    I'm unconcerned with becoming.