Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is life deterministic or libertarian?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
Basically, do we truly have free will or is our life determined by our surroundings and circumstances?

Personally, I think our lives are more deterministic. Of course we can choose to do what we want to do, but ultimately our surroundings determine whether or not our choice is "correct" or not.

Let me use an example:

You wake up early to make it to a big, important meeting. You get in your car and head out onto the interstate. About half an hour later you are involved in a massive pile up and are severely injured. You made the choice to leave early, but you couldn't control the pileup from happening. As a result, you were involved in said pile up. like wise, if you made the choice to leave around your regular time, you would have missed the wreck, but you would have been late.

We can make our own choices, but our surrounding circumstances, in the end, dictate what happens to us.

Comments

• The universe is inherently non-deterministic. This is according to QM (quantum mechanics).
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think on the macro level of everyday life Newton rules and things are deterministic. When we get into mental factors, assuming mind is more than only the physical brain, science really doesn't have much to say.

In my mind the mental process of decision making is deterministic. I don't think this means events are set in stone though. To me the Buddhist view is that the pure nature of the mind/awareness only exists in the present and the Buddhist view is that the mind and body support each other like two reeds standing against one another to produce consciousness.

So take for example the decision to choose cake or fresh fruit for dessert. One's craving may naturally arise when the senses come into contact with the choice dependent upon biology and memory. If we lack awareness we merely follow our craving. Each of us has a certain level of awareness of our mental arisings, which can be trained through meditation. If we become aware of our craving occuring without instinctively reacting to it the knowledge of eating cake enters into the causal stream and will give rise to other thoughts about the health benefits of eating fruit vs. cake or any other pertinant knowledge.

This is where volition (cetana) comes into play and my understanding gets fuzzy. Volition is likened to a foreman who energizes and directs the other mental factors while also being considered a conditional mental factor. So one of the choices wins out and volition empowers that one to give us the energy to carry it out.

My take on free will is still a work in progress so take it with a grain of salt. Long story short I think there is a choice between libertarian free will and linear determinism where the present moment (aka awareness) adds lubrication and flexibility to a deterministic macroscopic universe.

The probablistic universe of QM adds another twist that also adds some room for flexibility.
    DaftChris
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    "You can't control your circumstances, but you can control how you react to your circumstances."

which will, in effect, change one's circumstances

yes, we have free-will, but i don't think anyone would believe that it is so easy to spot without practice.
    lobster
  • The question to be answered is who the “I” is that is supposed to have this free will.
    There would have to be something unmovable in us setting things in motion; a God-creator of decisions. This something has not yet been found.

What we do find is the brain which is a complicated organ, a lot more complicated than it appears to us in our conscious experience of it.
    The brain does a lot of its decision making outside the purview of our conscious experience and so we get the wrong impression that we actually can make decisions out of the blue: that we have a say in the matter; that we have a free will.

The way I see it our most fundamental mistake is ”Cogito ergo sum”. The thinking appears to come from “me”.
    It doesn’t. The thinking is a non-personal process in the brain. There is no thinker; no outsider who is in control of it.
    The thinking is an inside job. The process has stealthy origins in our unconscious brain activity.
    It is camouflaged with the illusion of a “me” who is making all these decisions.

The question is why and how exactly this happens; which is “the hard problem of consciousness”.

Another aspect maybe is that our decision making is such a complex process that we cannot predict the outcome very well. We cannot predict the weather very well; but that doesn’t mean the weather has a will of its own.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    If dependant arising is correct, then this rules out free will. Nothing that relies on causes and conditions can be free.
    Patrlobster
  • Songhill said:

The universe is inherently non-deterministic. This is according to QM (quantum mechanics).

I think this is such an important principle for even a stabinthedark attempt at understanding the universe.

• Tosh said:

If dependant arising is correct, then this rules out free will. Nothing that relies on causes and conditions can be free.

Not necessarily;dependent arrising is about conditioned phenomena, not necessarily about emergent and stochastic phenomena; these would be "unconditioned" or "cause independent" whilst DO remains deeply, foundationally and profoundly true:)

• sova said:

yes, we have free-will, but i don't think anyone would believe that it is so easy to spot without practice.

Can you even clearly define what free-will means? I can't and I have studied and taught it for decades.

If like me, you cant explain or define what it would even be, then perhaps one would not wish to state anything about free-will as if it was a fact, na?

:)
    Florian
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    DaftChris said:

Basically, do we truly have free will or is our life determined by our surroundings and circumstances?

Personally, I think our lives are more deterministic. Of course we can choose to do what we want to do, but ultimately our surroundings determine whether or not our choice is "correct" or not.

Interesting question. I'm not sure of the answer myself, but I've found myself leaning more towards causal determinism as of late. Also, we've had similar discussions before, a few of which can be found here if you're interested in checking them out:

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/305054/
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/277893/
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/164898/
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Tosh said:

Not necessarily;dependent arrising is about conditioned phenomena, not necessarily about emergent and stochastic phenomena; these would be "unconditioned" or "cause independent" whilst DO remains deeply, foundationally and profoundly true:)

This sounds interesting. What do you mean by emergent and stochastic phenomena? Are you saying that our will is unconditioned; existing all by itself; and unaffected by other stuff?

Sam Harris (a neuroscientist) gives a good talk on 'free will' here:

He (from memory; I've not watched this in a while) says that free will doesn't exist either.

I like these discussions also; I'm a recovered alcoholic and I remember trying time and time again to not drink, yet I always ended up drinking; until I was shown how to create the causes and conditions which mean I don't need to drink anymore.

lobster
  • Tosh said:

This sounds interesting. What do you mean by emergent and stochastic phenomena?

By "emergent" I mean arising from its parts but not the same as its parts. Most human phenomena are emmergent. I think the Buddha knew this utterly.

By "Stochastic" I mean totally random. I am not sure if the Buddha talks about this.
    Are you saying that our will is unconditioned; existing all by itself; and unaffected by other stuff?
    No. I am saying I don't know what "free will" means:p
    I like these discussions also; I'm a recovered alcoholic and I remember trying time and time again to not drink, yet I always ended up drinking; until I was shown how to create the causes and conditions which mean I don't need to drink anymore.
    Well this is where the goodness emerges from the pondering, then:)
  • thickpaper:
    Not necessarily;dependent arrising is about conditioned phenomena, not necessarily about emergent and stochastic phenomena; these would be "unconditioned" or "cause independent" whilst DO remains deeply, foundationally and profoundly true .
    Pratitya-samutpada (often trans. dependent origination) is not explained well by modern Buddhists. Often they have it confused with parasparapeksa (interdependence) which is a term used in one school of Vedanta.

Actually pratityasamutpada is a profoundly simple term. It just means that conditioned phenomena are arisings/compositions from the non-arising unconditioned absolute, like a rope is made from muñja grass or a clay pot is made from clay.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    There is dependent origination of consciousness perceiving sense object. But our experience is our minds. Determinism is the perspective of time which makes me wonder because time can be deconstructed. There are phenomena and a mind, but they are interlocked and rise up together with phenomena.

Taking mind and body as separate results in a 'me' that is opposed to bad things and craving good things. Because it is in fact not under the consciousness control this results in frustration.
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Tosh said:

Think you hit bullseye here. You have just pointed out the notion that clarifies why is it that the future can be seen (by very gifted people).

• Songhill said:

thickpaper:

Not necessarily;dependent arrising is about conditioned phenomena, not necessarily about emergent and stochastic phenomena; these would be "unconditioned" or "cause independent" whilst DO remains deeply, foundationally and profoundly true .
    Pratitya-samutpada (often trans. dependent origination) is not explained well by modern Buddhists. Often they have it confused with parasparapeksa (interdependence) which is a term used in one school of Vedanta.

Actually pratityasamutpada is a profoundly simple term. It just means that conditioned phenomena are arisings/compositions from the non-arising unconditioned absolute, like a rope is made from muñja grass or a clay pot is made from clay.

Thanks. Is one of these the 12 Niddanas and one actutual DO as in "This happens that happens..."?

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Patr said:

Tosh said:

Think you hit bullseye here. You have just pointed out the notion that clarifies why is it that the future can be seen (by very gifted people).

My understanding is that we always have a choice.
    From both my TB practice and experience as a Catholic practitioner I find a choice definition the most useful definition of free will to work with.
    Practice involves becoming aware of our choices and invariabily leads to the recognition of a greater range of choices and responses to events rather than narrowing them, in my experience.
    Having the ability to predict how things will eventuate involves clarity of the specific causes and conditions involved and knowledge of the patterned responses of individuals.

• DaftChris said:

You wake up early to make it to a big, important meeting. You get in your car and head out onto the interstate. About half an hour later you are involved in a massive pile up and are severely injured. You made the choice to leave early, but you couldn't control the pileup from happening.

As a result, you were involved in said pile up. like wise, if you made the choice to leave around your regular time, you would have missed the wreck, but you would have been late.

[You left early because the meeting was important. You did not want to be late. If it was an ordinary day you would not have to make that "choice"]

Choices were made based on prior causes and conditions or circumstances. The so called "freedom" we get is similar to the choice we are given when an armed robber says to us,"Your money or your life?"
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Thus by accepting the theory of causation and conditionality, Buddhism avoids the two extremes of sabba.m atthi (everything is) and sabba.m natthi (everything is not) and advocates sabba.m bhavati, "everything becomes," i.e., happens by way of cause and effect. It is also because of this theory that Buddhism could avoid the two extremes of niyativaada (determinism) and ahetu-appaccaya-vaada (indeterminism). According to the former everything is absolutely pre-determined, according to the latter everything happens without reference to any cause or condition. According to both there is no room for free will and as such moral responsibility gets completely ruled out. By its theory of causation Buddhism avoids both extremes and establishes free will and moral responsibility. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/various/wheel186.html

personDaftChrissova
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited October 2012
    “according to the latter everything happens without reference to any cause or condition”
    That sounds like a completely absurd idea, but actually I read that Nisagardatta (Advaita) took this position in which all causal relationships are denied. All phenomena appear in and are caused by the Self. (That is my understanding anyways of his position).

So your quote, @seeker242, is not very much of a middle position, because it needs to drag in a very obscure extreme.
    It is simply claiming free will without much explanation to support it.
    In fact saying that "everything happens by way of cause and effect” is what I would lable as deterministic.
    I would like to add that “deterministic” is not the same as predictable.
    In other words, the deterministic nature of these systems does not make them predictable.[3][4] This behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Perhaps he did not give much explanation to support the philosophical theory of free will because doing so is not really all that relevant to actually walking the path. The central point, IMO, was to point out that you can choose to shape your karma in a skillful manner. If you could not, then you would never be able to escape from it. You can choose to engage in right speech, actions, etc, and chose to abstain from wrong speech, actions. I think the Buddha said lots of things that he did not completely explain, because explaining them would not further one on the path, so there was no point in explaining them. What matters is how you actually act, speak etc in daily life. What matters is that one follows the precepts and acts accordingly. The Buddha really was not a "philosopher". He was just a teacher of suffering and the end of suffering.
  • I agree.
    And even if free will ultimately is an illusion, it is what we have to work with. All we can do is act upon our decisions.
  • It's a huge topic but my view would be that we make a mistake when we oppose freewill and determinism. It may be better to go back a stage and examine the whole idea of agency and action.
  • Life has many twists and turns. Whether or not we make out of this karmic maze depends on which actions we take. I believe life is somewhat like that. When we make the wrong choices, we wander on endlessly trying to find a way out. Freewill plays a role in which steps we take. When we take the wrong path we suffer, and wander on through the deterministic labyrinth.
  • in the idea of brane splitting or the multiverse, each decision effects the future we experience.
    So the future is set each time we make a decision to change it.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    DaftChris said:

I think one benefit of practising mindfulness is to become aware that we do have a choice, instead of just reacting in habitual ways.
  • Control what you (think you) can, don't worry about the rest.
  • Songhill said:

The universe is inherently non-deterministic. This is according to QM (quantum mechanics).

Just because we can't determine it, doesn't make it inherently so.
  • My view would be that it is a mistake to see Freewill-Determinism as a contradictory pair of propositions. They would be a category-error, not a true contradiction. As such, they can be 'sublated' or reduced, such that they become two ways of looking at the same phenemenon. This would be 'compatibilism', which is the view endorsed by the majority of philosophers on this particular issue, even among the 'non-mystical' crowd. It seems to me that compatabilism would be the correct Buddhist position on any metaphysical dilemma, and that this would be one meaning of the term 'middle way'.

It is not an insignificant thing that Thickpaper has studied freewill for long time and cannot decide what it is. This suggests to me a sound analysis. On close examination freewill is indististinguishable from determinism, or at least the distinction is meaningless.

But in the end it may be necessary to go back to the whole idea of action and agency to sort the freewill problem out. If we believe that we act, that we are an independent active agent, then the problem is probably intractible.