Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pushing Back

Have you ever had the time to meditate but you kind of struggle to actually do it?

I had that experience very often and I felt judgemental like I just hadn't 'gotten it' to make my meditation more comfortable to sit.

But today the thought occurred to me that it is like weightlifting. Maybe it is normal to have this 'resistance' and it is just like going for a jog or lifting barbells. The resistance may be normal.

So my question is whether I should be lighter and spacious and can transcend the weight. Or should I style myself 'a weightlifter' and try to get pumped up like I would if I were pursuing an exercise regime. What do you think?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It's no different really than establishing any sort of routine for your life. What motivates someone is different. Some people can just do it because they set their mind to it. Some people can do it as long as they can see a good reason to. Some people can only get it done if they talk themselves into it every day.

I treat it the same as my exercise. I love to workout, however getting myself out the door or down into the gym (which is even in our garage) is the hardest part. I just remind myself "every time you work out, you are glad you did. So go start, and see what happens" and never once has it happened that I started, and didn't finish. Meditation is the same. I know I get benefits from it, and I just remind myself that I enjoy it and feel good after, so then I just make myself start and I always complete it once I start it. Following through for me is the easy part. Starting is the hard part.
    Inc88Jeffreypersonlobster
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    Normally for me when i know i have time in my day to meditate i like to "warm up" right before i sit down by just watching my breath and keeping it at a calm steady pace. It tends to help me relax a little a head of time and when it comes time to sit i allow myself time to get comfortable and then an extra minute to make sure im ok with how im arranged before i make a full commitment on not moving

Going with your weightlifting analogy that warm up seems to help gear you into meditating especially if your day has been stressful/messy and sometimes it can be better if you meditate only for 5-15 min but make sure to practice regularly instead of an hour long session once a week. Like in weight lifting start at a comfortable level and work your way up :]
    Jeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    As a kid, I used to hate brushing my teeth. Parental pressure, time and the dentist helped cure me. Now I don't even think about it.
  • Resistance is futile . . .
    Just sit for a moment with the 'push back'. If I say let's just 'sit and chill out', how simple, how easy, how effortless.
    So stop 'doing meditation'. Sit and chill out. You will be assimilated.
    :)
    Meditation is not hard. Too easy in fact. What is hard is 'doing'.
    Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Sometimes I think that my practise is just a habit of meditating before I get the time to ruminate whether I should, or not.
    lobsterJeffrey
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2012
    If there wasn't any resistance, then there would be no need for "right effort", yes? :)
    Jeffrey
  • When we are not meditating, we can always fine tune our lifestyle and practice, to me that is also a form of meditation. When we are not meditating, we can still use meditation techniques in our everyday lives. Observing our thoughts and discerning our actions should be helpful to us in every way. That part of meditation we can use all the time.
    Jeffrey