Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thinking of joining the Michigan Militia Corps (MMC)

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't have much of an opinion on the militia thing. As someone else said, find the middle way and trust your decision. I think you'll do that.

I only wanted to bring up a couple related points:
    #1 You can quit the military, to a degree, without getting arrested or anything. I joined the Naval Reserves and quit about 5 months later. But, in the reserves you study and do other things for 6 months before you go to boot camp/training, and it was within that 6 months so maybe that made a difference. I will not be able to join the military again, as quitting basically meant a dishonorable discharge, but I was ok with that considering my circumstances. I don't have any desire to join other government employment and could explain it if needed.

#2 If survival and search and rescue is your main motivation, then there are other options, too. I have a WFR certificate and I volunteer with our county (run by the Sheriff but has many volunteers) for search and rescue. Wilderness First Responder takes about 5days of full time training, and has to be renewed (and is a bit costly, like $650 initially and $200 to renew) but it was terrific fun, I learned a lot, and I use it because we spend a lot of time outdoors. In most outdoorsy areas classes are offered many times a year.

We have weapons in our house, and we enjoy using them. I prefer archery because I find it more challenging and less annoying (we live within 2 blocks of a shooting range and the noise gets annoying). It makes me a bit uneasy to think of citizens just running out and fighting against a cause they find offensive, but I don't know enough about it to really comment. If it were me, I'd ask some more questions about how they plan to use their arms, in what situation, etc. If they would be working with local agencies and the agencies know about this, then that is different than if they are like behind the scenes planning on being vigilanties. Just worth asking about.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The militia only makes sense to me for 3 minutes following watching the "Walking dead". Then I wake up.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Zayl

My apologies if my posts have contributed to your feelings of being attacked. My criticism was aimed solely at the MMC, not you personally.

Having said, I stand by my comments about them, and I'm happy to hear you've decided not to join.

I know you can get whatever you were looking for with them (survival training, community, fun etc) from other sources, minus all the potential downsides to joining a militia group.

Metta to you
  • Zayl said:

Welp, relax because Buddhism has nothing to do with this discussion, which is why I posted it in general banter. And you're all making it sound like that are bastardly, murdering insurgents. I've visited them again since I made this thread and took a very objective look around. They call themselves a militia but are anything but. Seems to be more of a social club for adults that teaches some survival and first-aid skills then shoot off their guns for the hell of it (I find that bit fun, myself.) while some of the more elderly members grumble about constitutional rights, the younger members only repeat a half-hearted, manufactured response. Indicating they do not believe what they say, but do so to spare themselves an earfull from the older members. In essence after looking at them really deep, they're a bit of a joke really. I'm not going to join.

But seriously 10/10 for making generalizations on here, all of you should be proud in your ignorance. From the way you make it sound, we're overrun by anti-government insurrectionists with a racist agenda that are plotting the next civil war. But oh, wait, guys in the woods with guns mildly concerned about constitutional law? Oh they absolutely must be murderous psychopaths. Right? I mean right? What else could they be?

I think this forum does such a wonderful job of claiming to be open-minded, accepting, and compassionate. But you're just the same as everyone else you decry. I've had it. All religions are the exact same bullshit. Adhere to exactly what we say or the entire community condemns you. I'm just over it. I mean, going by what else I read in other threads we should all be damn monks living on a mountain. But I hardly think any of you are so holy. You see something you might not like, and bear in mind I am NOT only talking about this thread... You see something you do not like and you see it as free license to act all high and mighty and to piss all over someone else's ideals.

@zayl I read through all the comments before you posted this reply. I didn't come to the same conclusion that you did, I just saw a bunch of people giving their opinions, but of course I wasn't looking into joining either.

~~~~~~Unsolicited Advice Below (feel free to ignore)~~~~~~

Have you stopped to analyze why you had such a strong reaction to others opinions? Not really the content of their posts and how it didn't fit with your view, but your reactions to that difference. I ask because I have found that when I have reactions similar to yours, I find it is a good opportunity for my practice.
    DaftChris
  • @Tmottes

I'd say that in essence I needed to know how people really felt and what they really thought. If I had to just narrow it down, I reacted honestly, because I needed others to react honestly. To share what was really on all of our minds. Consider it something that functioned as an "internal conflict of voices and ideals" but since I am absolutely terrible at that, I sort of need to rely on others. So, I argue with people sometimes and say what is really on my mind so that they might do the same. This is how I solve some of my problems I guess?

Anyway, does anyone know what is needed to be an overseas Red Cross volunteer?
  • Zayl said:

@Tmottes

I'd say that in essence I needed to know how people really felt and what they really thought. If I had to just narrow it down, I reacted honestly, because I needed others to react honestly. To share what was really on all of our minds. Consider it something that functioned as an "internal conflict of voices and ideals" but since I am absolutely terrible at that, I sort of need to rely on others. So, I argue with people sometimes and say what is really on my mind so that they might do the same. This is how I solve some of my problems I guess?

Anyway, does anyone know what is needed to be an overseas Red Cross volunteer?

That makes sense... Carry on. :)
  • I'm glad it did, 'cause I'm looking at what I posted there and it seems a tad convoluted, haha. And I just want to be clear I have no hard feelings against anyone here. After all, you've all helped me out in a great fashion in the end. Have a pretty song.

My sister looked into it several years ago. I know at the time they basically had openings you applied for (since everyone wants to go to Australia and such, lol) once you were accepted as a volunteer. Anyone can volunteer, but they place people based on need and the volunteer's skills. International aid work is a wonderful, wonderful thing just be cautious about what it really is. In some of the countries they work in, there is a danger in being an American. You might also look into the International Committee of the Red Cross, they probably have some information on their webpage. The regular red cross US page has teaching modules you can do and lots of information to look through if you are considering being a volunteer.

You'll find your niche :) Good for you in seeking it out! I always wanted to join the Peace Corps and teach in other countries, but I made the choice to have children instead.
    This page breaks down the different kind of volunteers and what is generally expected of them. To get all expenses paid (or get a paid position) you need to be very highly specialized and your skills need to be needed. If you are looking for shorter assignments (not years at a time it's better if you have some skills (teaching, building, etc) and can pay your own way, or part of it.

http://www.coyotecommunications.com/volunteer/international.html