Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sooo I told my mother off pretty harshly earlier today.

Just as the title says. We got into discussing the Election (big mistake I know, to ever discuss politics) And I mean... she was so blatantly racist, it was disturbing. She never called Obama by name, always calling him "Monkey" or "Nigger" And she said that Obama was probably going to win because of all the "Stupid niggers going to vote." and I mean, I just snapped. I was having a bit of a nic fit, but to me she just crossed a line and in a temporary moment, I failed in my efforts to maintain proper speech and action. I told her that she should be racist on her own fucking time, and then I told her to get away from me, that I didn't want to be around someone like her right now.

I am planning to apologize, I'm just piecing together the words. But I mean... I feel it was a righteous anger, she seemed to be taken aback by what I had said. So I am hoping that the sudden jarring I gave her might cause her to re-think her positions on race. Because in my eyes, there is only one race, the Human Race. And you don't even want me to repeat what she thinks about gay marriage or gays in general. In fact, I couldn't bring myself to type it out, out of principle. It took all my might to muster the courage to say the N word on here, if only in a quote.

I just don't know. Do you think I was right in saying something, anything at all to her? Should I have not been so harsh? to be clear I did raise my voice.
lobstercaz

Comments

• Bravo.
    Parents may be ignorant, racist, homophobic and non-buddhist. Both my parents were anti-semitic. One was even Catholic. That is our world.
    One of the biggest things to do is apologise even in the face of righteous anger. It took a long time for my mother to comprehend her racism. Occasionally she slips into stereo typing and I am still angered . . .
    It can come as quite a shock that others have not had the opportunities for introspection we have. Hate and ignorance is something we have to be compassionate towards but not get angry? Let us say we may develop more equanimity but it will never be easy except for those who have flattened out their emotions into skilful means . . .
    cazDaltheJigsaw
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Tame!
  • you are right in your own way. i can understand your situation but i must say that instead of shouting at her, you could have ignored her for a while and then speak to her softly when you got little cool down. you could have explained to her about her negative notion and make her realize her mistake.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Standing up against racism and similar concepts is not wrong.

And this idea that politics and religion shouldn't be discussed...nonsense.
    cazkarasti
  • I don't think you have anything to apologize for. If anything, she should apologize to you.
  • Zayl said:

I was having a bit of a nic fit, but to me she just crossed a line and in a temporary moment, I failed in my efforts to maintain proper speech and action.

I feel it was a righteous anger, she seemed to be taken aback by what I had said. So I am hoping that the sudden jarring I gave her might cause her to re-think her positions on race.

Do you think I was right in saying something, anything at all to her?

Should I have not been so harsh? to be clear I did raise my voice.

I can relate to the nic fit... the response seems extreme but right at the time.

I would be interested to hear an argument that criticises you for standing up against prejudice and your attempt to pass on your realisation.

Anger is anger - it has an effect on you and the recipient - doesn't sound like you are content with this effect (either on you or your mother) - so I guess, you should try to understand your response and consider this for next time - whether or not it jarred her to reconsider may not (and it doesnt sound like it does) negate the effects of anger in the equation - you may be able to achieve the result you seek without the effects that you do not seek.

Whether you can ever change your mum's relationship to reality is another thing.

You're a hero in my eyes for saying something, anything - I feel for you in that it has created issues that you would otherwise have not faced - I hope that both you and your mother are able to resolve the issue.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Zayl said:

Just as the title says. We got into discussing the Election (big mistake I know, to ever discuss politics) And I mean... she was so blatantly racist, it was disturbing. She never called Obama by name, always calling him "Monkey" or "Nigger" And she said that Obama was probably going to win because of all the "Stupid niggers going to vote." and I mean, I just snapped. I was having a bit of a nic fit, but to me she just crossed a line and in a temporary moment, I failed in my efforts to maintain proper speech and action. I told her that she should be racist on her own fucking time, and then I told her to get away from me, that I didn't want to be around someone like her right now.

I am planning to apologize, I'm just piecing together the words. But I mean... I feel it was a righteous anger, she seemed to be taken aback by what I had said. So I am hoping that the sudden jarring I gave her might cause her to re-think her positions on race. Because in my eyes, there is only one race, the Human Race. And you don't even want me to repeat what she thinks about gay marriage or gays in general. In fact, I couldn't bring myself to type it out, out of principle. It took all my might to muster the courage to say the N word on here, if only in a quote.

I just don't know. Do you think I was right in saying something, anything at all to her? Should I have not been so harsh? to be clear I did raise my voice.

I don't think there is anything you have to apologise for its your Mom who needs to be apologising and recanting her views.
  • Where did you get the idea that "Right Speech" means accepting abuse or being a doormat to people spewing hatred?

It upsets you when the mother you love spews racist language in a conversation with you. It should upset you. It makes your mother sound and look ugly to most people in the world. She needs to be told that. She needs to learn that this sort of thing is not socially acceptable anymore and that hurtful speech has consequences. So ask her not to talk like that around you anymore, as a favor to you. When she slips and launches into another rant, interrupt and ask her not to talk like that around you and if she refuses, leave.

Right speech means also standing up for those who are under attack instead of remaining silent. She knows using this sort of language is rude and vulgar. The rude people of the world count on other folks being timid or embarassed.

That doesn't mean stop loving your mother or showing how much you care for her. She's someone with a bad habit, not a bad person. Somewhere in life she learned to behave this way, and she can unlearn it. At the least, you have the right not to be subjected to it, even by your own parents.
    lobsterYaskanMaryAnne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    totally agree with @vinlyn. If we just turn the other cheek all the time, we never make progress. Conversations need to happen for change to happen. If no one ever spoke up about politics we'd still be living in the 1870s where women were fined for voting. I think when you speak to her again, it would to point out in a cooler frame of mind whey you got so upset. I'm sorry, but not all opinions are ok and people need to know that and stop hiding behind the "it's my right to have an opinion" idea. Some opinions are just wrong and need to be changed so the world can make progress. Thankfully, we made quite a bit of it last night.

And conversations do work. My mom is a Catholic who 2 years ago would have voted a straight conservative ticket. Now she is speaking out (slowly and tentatively) in favor of equal rights and that believing in God doesn't mean cowtowing to religious talking heads. Change happens, and it happens through these conversations.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    This was not really just an angry outburst at a novel view from your Mom. Her attitudes must have been deeply disturbing to you for some time. This sounds more of a dam of things unsaid by you, finally breaking.
    Why do you think you were angry at your moms racism, instead of just being sad for her state of suffering?
    Are there any skillful means on your part or ways to interact with her that might better demonstrate the worth of compassion, empathy, sympathy, tenderness or love?
  • Since she is your mom and
    I assume you knew she was racist to begin with, what did you expect? Perhaps you were bating her . Any one who uses such language (except , of coarse if you are black , which is another can of worms in my opinion) and uses it regularly is to be avoided. Since she is you mother and not avoidable so to speak you must certainly learn to avoid the topic. I am sure you saw it coming. Or, maybe you are very young . In that case, learn from your mistake.
    RebeccaS
  • I don't think you did anything wrong in making a stand -- bigotry is just not ok no matter who it comes from. I don't believe that right speech or having compassion for others means you have to be a push over when it comes to important issues.

Now was using the language that you used the most effective way to deal with your mother, or could you have made your point better? I don't know, since I don't know your mom. I don't think you need to apologize exactly, but perhaps you can use this as an opportunity to start a more useful dialogue with her.
    sndymorn said:

Since she is your mom and
    I assume you knew she was racist to begin with, what did you expect? Perhaps you were bating her . Any one who uses such language (except , of coarse if you are black , which is another can of worms in my opinion) and uses it regularly is to be avoided. Since she is you mother and not avoidable so to speak you must certainly learn to avoid the topic. I am sure you saw it coming. Or, maybe you are very young . In that case, learn from your mistake.

Speaking only for myself and my experiences, sometimes avoiding topics isn't possible. For instance, I have very strong political view points, and knowing this I try to avoid political discussions in the workplace. However, that doesn't mean that coworkers honor that when I tell them I don't want to talk about it. At my last job I told the one guy I was stuck in a room with all day that I didn't want to talk about it (and I said it numerous times), and that did not stop him for a moment. In the poster's case, I don't know who started the conversation or how easy or not it is to avoid such a conversation, but I would hesitate to lay too much blame for the disagreement taking place -- at least not without knowing more of the facts.

Also, if someone says something truly awful (racist, homophobic, etc), the people around them should say something. Not saying anything allows such thinking and behavior to continue. Some beliefs do need to be challenged. That said, there are ways to do that that are more appropriate and effective than others.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Well, if you caused her to rethink her views, then what appears to be an outburst of Wrong Speech may prove itself to be Skillful Means. This is sometimes how Buddhist teachers teach.

Sometimes it's best to be genuine, rather than intellectualizing everything. Time will tell what kind of fruit your action will bear. Give us an update when the time comes.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Do not worry friend! I have been through it all. For me, it was because I am in an interracial relationship; I have been through tears, sweat, pain and etc. But it does get better. You have to overpower them with your logic/common sense and compassion. Be there for them, as they are truly in pain. Enable yourself to love even though at times it might be difficult. I promise you that it does get better! I'm the living proof!
    JeffreylobsterZeroDakini
  • If we make a list of things we hate, it may include things such as ignorance, bigotry and narrow winded mind trolls. What do we love? Sometimes it is easier to journey with what we love as much as we can . . . :clap:
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    If you hang around the Tibetan monks, you will notice that they never correct anyone. At least, I have never seen them do this.
    Even when a student starts insulting the monk during class, even to the point of raising their voice in anger* the monk remains compassionate and gentle and does not get involved with arguments.

When a student responds to a teaching by speaking up and saying "That's not true", or "That is wrong", or "This is how it is ....", the teacher listens without interrupting, and when the student is done, the teacher gently says, "I'll have to think about that", or "You might be right", or some other non-confrontatious response.

When a student starts boasting about something they have experienced and then asks the teacher if this is "good" ... the teacher looks at them with such gentle kindness and says "yes" .. even when it's something that they told us last week to try to avoid. They never correct the student ... at least, never in front of the other students, as far as I have seen.

They never confront. They treat all beings with respect, as if they were their kindest of kind mother, to whom they owe a huge debt of gratitude.

In all ways, they are our role models. They show us that we are not responsible for teaching others how to be "proper" or "correct". That our responsibility is to enlighten ourselves, and then help others who ask for help to attain enlightenment.

Yes, I can see the teachers turning the other cheek.
    If you have not been exposed to these life-long monks raised in the dharma, I suggest you start taking teachings from them. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a living role-model is worth a million.

Note* I have only seen one person yell at a monk. The monk was teaching about compassion and about viewing all others as our kind mother. One person in the audience stood up and asked how one could see others as a kind mother, if they had been raised in foster homes and had never known what a kind mother is like. As he talked about his life, he became angrier and angrier and more and more personally insulting to the monk ... you could hear the pain behind his anger cracking his voice. It was so sad ... and that is how the monk responded; as if it was terribly sad.
    When we decide to step onto the path of Buddhism, we need to stop viewing life in conventional ways. If others upset us, we are to see this as an excellent opportunity to apply mindfulness and observation to our own upsetness (is that a word?) ... not to try to deal with whatever is actually upsetting us, which is the way of ego, not Buddhism.

this is the model, the paradigm:

Eight Verses for Training the Mind

by Langri Thangpa

With a determination to accomplish
    The highest welfare for all sentient beings
    Who surpass even a wish-granting jewel
    I will learn to hold them supremely dear.

Whenever I associate with others I will learn
    To think of myself as the lowest among all
    And respectfully hold others to be supreme
    From the very depths of my heart.

In all actions I will learn to search into my mind
    And as soon as an afflictive emotion arises
    Endangering myself and others
    Will firmly face and avert it.

I will learn to cherish beings of bad nature
    And those oppressed by strong sins and suffering
    As if I had found a precious
    Treasure very difficult to find.

When others out of jealousy treat me badly
    With abuse, slander, and so on,
    I will learn to take on all loss,
    And offer victory to them.

When one whom I have benefited with great hope
    Unreasonably hurts me very badly,
    I will learn to view that person
    As an excellent spiritual guide.

In short, I will learn to offer to everyone without exception
    All help and happiness directly and indirectly
    And respectfully take upon myself
    All harm and suffering of my mothers.

I will learn to keep all these practices
    Undefiled by the stains of the eight worldly conceptions
    And by understanding all phenomena as like illusions
    Be released from the bondage of attachment.

http://www.khandro.net/practice_8verses.htm
    and, with commentary:
    http://www.dalailama.com/teachings/training-the-mind

• They never confront. They treat all beings with respect,

This hasn't been my observation at all. Some are all too quick to confront, rudely, even, and pass it off as a "teaching". That works for some students. For others...not so much.

I'm curious to learn how things worked out for the OP.

• @Zayl

If there is anything to apologise about it is for losing your wick, not for voicing your disapproval of her racist views. I've noticed when I raise my voice and speak harshly the situation escalates and everybody stops listening... they just hear the shouting... not good when you're trying to get a point across. So you can say sorry for the anger and calmly tell her how offensive her beliefs are.
    MaryAnneDakinisndymornFoibleFull
  • Maybe that was Right Speech. J/K. I don't know.

But she probably needed to hear something like what you said.
  • The trick is to hold anger, love, and wisdom all in the same breath!

Can we do it? Or are we and others going to burn?

It's a fine line to walk!
    Dakini said:

They never confront. They treat all beings with respect,

This hasn't been my observation at all. Some are all too quick to confront, rudely, even, and pass it off as a "teaching". That works for some students. For others...not so much.

I'm curious to learn how things worked out for the OP.

I've heard about some of those teachers, the ones who are not able to "walk the walk" ... and about one in particular. This is very sad. There is that old saying in our Western culture: "Those who can, do. Those who can't teach." But that should never apply in Buddhism. I think only those who "can" should be teaching Buddhism. Perhaps this is why the teachings tell us to take 3-5 years evaluating a teacher before deciding if they are qualified (through their behavior) to teach you.

I guess I am very fortunate to have found good teachers. These teachers are all older Asian monks (Several Tibetan and one Sri Lankan), and perhaps it is the culture they have come from or perhaps it is their length of time practicing, or their dedication ... or whatever???

• I've heard about some of those teachers, the ones who are not able to "walk the walk" ... and about one in particular. This is very sad. There is that old saying in our Western culture: "Those who can, do. Those who can't teach." But that should never apply in Buddhism. I think only those who "can" should be teaching Buddhism. Perhaps this is why the teachings tell us to take 3-5 years evaluating a teacher before deciding if they are qualified (through their behavior) to teach you.

I guess I am very fortunate to have found good teachers. These teachers are all older Asian monks (Several Tibetan and one Sri Lankan), and perhaps it is the culture they have come from or perhaps it is their length of time practicing, or their dedication ... or whatever???

You got some good ones. It's not about culture; all cultures produce selfless people, and ego-driven people, all kinds of people. And yes, it's important to evaluate a teacher, but sometimes sanghas have visiting teachers for short- or medium-term, so it's not always about evaluating for a long-term student/teacher relationship.

• Look at my profile photo , im following Buddhist ways, but do I look the kind o fperson that would tolerate people using the N word around me. Its a harder word to say through your gums ;), dental treatment isnt cheap these days, do not tolerate racism no matter what path your on.