Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Life is Crazy! I just graduated with BS in Psychology but getting laid off in January

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited December 2012 in General Banter
Wow! Life and the Universe is Amazing! I just graduated with BS in Psychology...Being laid off in January...
I am ready to move and change my path towards service to others. I am also ready to heal myself further, in order for me to help others. Thanks everyone! Please, send positive thoughts my way! :) Hope you all are doing well! By the way, I am definitely uneasy, but happy nonetheless!

Thanks,
Leon
ToshMaryAnneWisdom23

Comments

• Good thoughts your way, Leon. Gratz on the graduation.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Good thoughts your way, Leon. Gratz on the graduation.

Thank you so much!!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Congratulations, Leon!

Try not to let the little stuff get you down: As I understand it, the world is scheduled to end (again) on or about Dec. 21.

More seriously, best wishes.
    DaltheJigsaw
    genkaku said:

Congratulations, Leon!

Try not to let the little stuff get you down: As I understand it, the world is scheduled to end (again) on or about Dec. 21.

More seriously, best wishes.

Thank you as well! You right! I need a change; this job was killing me mentally. I even told my family and relatives, after end of December I will be done with this job in January .Will start looking for something else in my expertise (Counseling and Marriage and Family Therapy). It is time! It definitely is time! Perhaps, I can take some time off for myself and heal myself further.
    By the way..Irony is quite strong...
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Congratulations!

And congratulations on losing your job! Now you can get an even better one :)
    DaltheJigsaw
    RebeccaS said:

Congratulations!

And congratulations on losing your job! Now you can get an even better one :)

You right! Definitely!:) Hope you are doing well!
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Good luck Leon! Please let us know how you go looking for a new job
    DaltheJigsaw
    Bunks said:

Good luck Leon! Please let us know how you go looking for a new job

Thank you!:) I definitely will! Hope you are doing well!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Congratulations, and good luck to you! I hope you find a job that will be of the most use to you and those you counsel. It's a great field, and much needed. Blessings to you as you start your new path.
    DaltheJigsaw
    karasti said:

Congratulations, and good luck to you! I hope you find a job that will be of the most use to you and those you counsel. It's a great field, and much needed. Blessings to you as you start your new path.

Blessing to you ! And thank you!
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Congratulations.
    You will find something worthwhile. Bravo.
    Will do some extra practice and puja to send your way :)
    DaltheJigsaw
    lobster said:

Congratulations.
    You will find something worthwhile. Bravo.
    Will do some extra practice and puja to send your way :)

Thank you! I hope so. I am worried, not going to lie...
  • Best wishes LB.
  • Congrats on graduating, Leon! Bear in mind that with this economy, any port in a storm will do. If someone will hire you, even outside your area of expertise, consider taking the job. From there you can continue applying for openings in your field. But at least you'll have a paycheck coming in.
    Just had an idea. I'm sure this isn't what you had in mind, but you could look at university job listings in your area, and see if there are any openings for staff jobs in the Psych Dept. University jobs are actually pretty cushy. Some are part-time, which would allow you to continue the job search.
    DaltheJigsaw

Best wishes LB.

Thank you!!
    Dakini said:

Congrats on graduating, Leon! Bear in mind that with this economy, any port in a storm will do. If someone will hire you, even outside your area of expertise, consider taking the job. From there you can continue applying for openings in your field. But at least you'll have a paycheck coming in.
    Just had an idea. I'm sure this isn't what you had in mind, but you could look at university job listings in your area, and see if there are any openings for staff jobs in the Psych Dept. University jobs are actually pretty cushy. Some are part-time, which would allow you to continue the job search.

Beautiful!! Thank you! That is a great idea! I am volunteering for teaching English and reading! I will see if I can perhaps tutor, by getting a certification?
  • If you're by a big university I used to just hand out flyers to kids coming out of class. We are talking over one hundred people in the lecture hall. Out of all of that I found about 5 students to tutor and 2 stuck with it for a long time. Good money for graduate school for me. I enjoyed tutoring more than doing research. :) Except for the one guy I couldn't help, he just didn't take to chemistry and I felt bad.
  • OK, Leon, here's another thought. If you get a university job, by which I mean office staff, with full-time employment they usually let you take a class for free each semester/trimester. You can use that to take classes to beef up your qualification. Like Teaching English as a Second Language, if I got your drift right, or you can use it to get a free M.A. A friend of mine got an M.A. and a PhD that way. It takes patience, but in the end, it pays off. Of course...this depends on there being openings at a uni in your area (aside from the school you attended, there's Cal Berkeley, and community colleges), and your ability to be competitive for whatever jobs are available. Anyway, it's just something to keep in mind.
    Jeffrey said:

If you're by a big university I used to just hand out flyers to kids coming out of class. We are talking over one hundred people in the lecture hall. Out of all of that I found about 5 students to tutor and 2 stuck with it for a long time. Good money for graduate school for me. I enjoyed tutoring more than doing research. :) Except for the one guy I couldn't help, he just didn't take to chemistry and I felt bad.

Well, it's not through my University it's San Jose State University. But they find people I can tutor. However, I will tell you that I am loving it! I love it! I am thinking of getting certified to tutor English/Reading/Writing one on one. :) Any thoughts?
    Dakini said:

OK, Leon, here's another thought. If you get a university job, by which I mean office staff, with full-time employment they usually let you take a class for free each semester/trimester. You can use that to take classes to beef up your qualification. Like Teaching English as a Second Language, if I got your drift right, or you can use it to get a free M.A. A friend of mine got an M.A. and a PhD that way. It takes patience, but in the end, it pays off. Of course...this depends on there being openings at a uni in your area (aside from the school you attended, there's Cal Berkeley, and community colleges), and your ability to be competitive for whatever jobs are available. Anyway, it's just something to keep in mind.

Those are such great ideas! Thank you so much! I am definitely going to look into that. I love the idea about Teaching English as a Second Language! That is sucha great idea! I am trying to figure out a good program. I think that would be more beneficial, (Teaching English as a Second Language).
  • Life is crazy is bad news. The good news is you are not!
    DaltheJigsaw
  • LeonBasin said:

Well, it's not through my University it's San Jose State University. But they find people I can tutor. However, I will tell you that I am loving it! I love it! I am thinking of getting certified to tutor English/Reading/Writing one on one. :) Any thoughts?

How do you get certified for this?

Dakini said:

LeonBasin said:

How do you get certified for this?

There is a few Certification organizations offering these certifications.
  • congratulations!!!
    how about practising NEP which leads to PhD in life, i mean liberation
    upekka said:

congratulations!!!

You know what! That is a great idea! I think I am going to be doing that instead. Going to find me a job, that I somewhat like and focusing on my spiritual life instead. As being a human is rare, therefore, I should be focusing on liberation!
  • upekka said:

congratulations!!!

Nep won't feed or clothe us. We'd still need jobs.
    music said:

upekka said:

congratulations!!!

True, but I think the point here is not to forget about the "real," purpose?
  • LeonBasin said:

music said:

upekka said:

congratulations!!!

As Buddhists, I guess we all know that. But the real world cannot be ignored, especially when it's an unfair, unforgiving place.
  • music said:

LeonBasin said:

music said:

upekka said:

congratulations!!!

As Buddhists, I guess we all know that. But the real world cannot be ignored, especially when it's an unfair, unforgiving place.
    @music has a point and so does @LeonBasin. However it is possible to be self sufficient without taking on a 9-5 that consumes the majority of your life (aside from sleep of course). Ideally if one aquired a skill, and instead of being hired by a large company, was able to work as a private contractor in their field of work, they could balance their time to be helpful of both aspects of life. We could also of course choose to live off the land, like many many before us have, but I personally don't have the guts to. I haven't relinquished modern comforts enough to go that far.
    music said:

LeonBasin said:

music said:

upekka said:

congratulations!!!

Exactly!!
    music said:

LeonBasin said:

music said:

upekka said:

congratulations!!!

Exactly!!
    Cole_ said:

music said:

LeonBasin said:

music said:

upekka said:

congratulations!!!

@music has a point and so does @LeonBasin. However it is possible to be self sufficient without taking on a 9-5 that consumes the majority of your life (aside from sleep of course). Ideally if one aquired a skill, and instead of being hired by a large company, was able to work as a private contractor in their field of work, they could balance their time to be helpful of both aspects of life. We could also of course choose to live off the land, like many many before us have, but I personally don't have the guts to. I haven't relinquished modern comforts enough to go that far.

Any suggestions?
    LeonBasin said:

Cole_ said:

music said:

LeonBasin said:

music said:

upekka said:

congratulations!!!

Any suggestions?

I mean what industry are you in? What do you do for a living? Having own business is the best way to at least cut the ties.
  • Personally, I wouldn't recommend being a private contractor, not right out of school, anyway. First you need to build a network of contacts, as a potential future customer base. That would best be done working for someone else. As a contractor, the paycheck isn't steady, there's a lot of record-keeping required for the IRS, unless you get really successful, you won't make enough money to have enough Social Security contribution to qualify for benefits if you end up needing them, and it's a ton of work to launch and develop your own business. Health insurance will cost a small fortune monthly.

It's so much easier to go into the office and put in your 8 hours, or your 6 hours, or your 4 hours, and collecting a paycheck, and insurance benefits. You could compromise, and work part-time, and start developing a private business on the side...
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Leon I know you'll be fine =)

Whatever that could possibly mean. Hahah =)

peace and long-lost salutations. the uncertainty of the fabric of reality is nothing to fret. keep on weavin' ^.^
    DaltheJigsaw
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Best of luck. Hope you land on your feet!
    DaltheJigsaw
    sova said:

Leon I know you'll be fine =)

Whatever that could possibly mean. Hahah =)

peace and long-lost salutations. the uncertainty of the fabric of reality is nothing to fret. keep on weavin' ^.^

That is so beautiful!:)
    Nevermind said:

Best of luck. Hope you land on your feet!

Thanks! I just need a job in Social Services!:) I will be happy! Helping others!!
    sova
  • Well congratulations on just graduating, I guess on being laid off aswell, surely there is a better place to work for using your degree.
    DaltheJigsaw
    JosephW said:

Well congratulations on just graduating, I guess on being laid off aswell, surely there is a better place to work for using your degree.

I believe so as well!~ I will update you guys. However, currently I'm volunteering as a tutor for English for ESL/Adults and Retirement Home. I have unemployment for a year, but after that who knows. I hope to find something in a year???? I hope the economy improves....!
  • Good to know you have some leeway for finding a job. The social svcs. idea sounds very good. Would it require a civil service exam, or state test? Your unemployment will support you in your job search, that's great. They say that finding a good job is a full-time job in itself. Best of luck!
    Dakini said:

Good to know you have some leeway for finding a job. The social svcs. idea sounds very good. Would it require a civil service exam, or state test? Your unemployment will support you in your job search, that's great. They say that finding a good job is a full-time job in itself. Best of luck!

Thank you!! No, no examination at this time, but that can all change. For now, I am focusing on Volunteer work and looking for a job in customer service area. Will see what happens! Thank you all! And thank you Dakini!:)