Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monks/Nuns and Supernatural Abilities *cue erie music*

I know there will be those who will say I'm most likely off my rocker (and perhaps I am anyway), but to those who do believe in such things, why do you think Buddhist monks and nuns take a vow to not reveal any gained supernatural/psychic abilities from their practice?

I am speaking from experience in terms of having seen it live. I have met a few monks and nuns who were able to read my mind (freaked me OUT!) as well as could astral project or bi-locate (whatever it's called) to a place and give a detailed account of what it looked like, to just being able to see the past, present, and future specifically and accurately.

I've dabble with divination techniques myself over the years, and have just recently started getting into meditation. I notice when I meditate, my tarot card readings and the sort are better and I'm more in tune. I really don't think there's anything special about having pronounced psychic abilities-- I think we're all capable of using them, but like anything in life some start off stronger than others, while some never bother to develop them.

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent here, but back to the question: why do you think they (at least most of them) vow not to reveal their abilities? I understand the over all goal is to not have any attachments and be seduced by the power and excitement of it all, but if they're using them secretly isn't that just as bad as announcing their abilities to others? Also, I'm sure there are laypeople out there who haven't taken vows who have these abilities as well... so perhaps it's just a normal evolution of mankind and there's really no need for secrecy, you know?

And, no, I'm not wearing a tin foil hat as I type this. :D

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @RainbowTara
    Why do you think Buddhist monks and nuns take a vow to not reveal any gained supernatural/psychic abilities from their practice?

I am unaware of this vow.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    ya know.. I often wonder if I'm the only person who could give less then an iota whether monks can float or call down fire from the sky.

teach me dhamma in a way I've not experienced before.. then i'll be impressed.
    caz
  • edited December 2012
    how said:

@RainbowTara
    Why do you think Buddhist monks and nuns take a vow to not reveal any gained supernatural/psychic abilities from their practice?

I actually heard one of the monks (not Ajahn Brahm) say this and speak quite extensively on it on one of the BuddhistSocietyWA YouTube talks.
  • Jayantha said:

ya know.. I often wonder if I'm the only person who could give less then an iota whether monks can float or call down fire from the sky.

teach me dhamma in a way I've not experienced before.. then i'll be impressed.

Well, I guess I'm not as enlightened as you are, but I find it quite amazing. Just as amazing as I do watching a ladybug or a thunderstorm or Christmas lights twinkle.
    I'm fairly sure it goes back to the time of the Buddha not to talk about attainments or show off powers..I couldn't shoot off a Sutta right now though.

• And, no, I'm not wearing a tin foil hat as I type this. :D

LIAR!

Just joking.

Considering just about everything seems like a miracle if you really look at it, anything is possible.

But If there was someone with some serious supernatural powers, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to keep it to themselves.

There are a lot of things that have happened that I just have no logical explanation for, but how do you logically explain a human? Like how the heck did that even happen? Just walking on this earth is a miracle haha.
    RainbowTara
  • Cole_ said:

There are a lot of things that have happened that I just have no logical explanation for, but how do you logically explain a human? Like how the heck did that even happen? Just walking on this earth is a miracle haha.

I know! I'm still trying to figure out how cameras and the internet and all these physical-yet-abstract things work. It all seems so surreal.
    edited December 2012
    Talk by Ven. Dr. K Sri Dhammananda

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/whatbudbeliev/31.htm

The Buddha also expressly forbade His disciples to use miracles to prove the superiority of His teachings. On one occasion He said that the use of miracles to gain converts was like using dancing girls to tempt people to do something. Anyone with the proper mental training can perform miracles because they are simply an expression of mind over matter.

The following story illustrates the Buddha's attitude towards miraculous powers. One day the Buddha met an ascetic who sat by the bank of a river. This ascetic had practised austerities for 25 years. The Buddha asked him what he had received for all his labour. The ascetic proudly replied that, now at last, he could cross the river by walking on the water. The Buddha pointed out that this gain was insignificant for all the years of labour, since he could cross the river using a ferry for one penny!

The Buddha says that a person can gain miraculous power without gaining spiritual power. He teaches us that if we first gain spiritual power, then we automatically receive the miraculous or psychic powers too. But if we develop miraculous powers without spiritual development, then we are in danger. We can misuse this power for worldly gain(Pataligama-Udana). There are many who have deviated from the right path by using their miraculous powers without having any spiritual development. Many people who are supposed to have obtained some miraculous powers succumbed to the vain glory of obtaining some worldly gain.
    Cole_RainbowTaralobster
  • Jayantha said:

One day the Buddha was waiting by the river bank for a boat to ferry him across the river. An ascetic passed by and proudly showed off his miraculous power, crossing the river back and forth by treading over the water.

The Buddha smiled and asked him, "How long did you train to attain such power?"

"It took me thirty years!", said the ascetic.

The Buddha replied, "Thirty years? Well, I can cross the river using the boat for only one penny!"

Hahaha... yes, I remember AB telling that joke during one of his talks (and I think he was touching upon the psychic ability topic when he did).
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    how said:

@RainbowTara

Generally speaking, monks and nuns are prohibited by the Vinaya from displaying supranormal powers to lay followers: "A miracle of psychic power, a superior human state, should not be displayed to householders. Whoever should display it: an offense of wrong doing" (Cv.V.8.2). The reason behind this rule seems to be to prevent them from being misused, e.g., used to impress people, gain converts, get better alms, etc.

Lying about having supranormal powers is an even more serious offense, being a parajika or defeat: "Should any bhikkhu, without direct knowledge, claim a superior human state, a truly noble distinction of knowledge and vision, as present in himself, saying, 'Thus do I know; thus do I see,' such that regardless of whether or not he is cross-examined on a later occasion, he — being remorseful and desirous of purification — might say, 'Friends, not knowing, I said I know; not seeing, I said I see — vainly, falsely, idly,' unless it was from over-estimation, he also is defeated and no longer in affiliation."

For more info, check out "The Buddha's Attitude to Miracles."

RainbowTara
  • Cole_ said:

I know! I'm still trying to figure out how cameras and the internet and all these physical-yet-abstract things work. It all seems so surreal.
    It's all an illusion, and life is like a dream ;)
    Jayantha said:

The following story illustrates the Buddha's attitude towards miraculous powers. One day the Buddha met an ascetic who sat by the bank of a river. This ascetic had practised austerities for 25 years. The Buddha asked him what he had received for all his labour. The ascetic proudly replied that, now at last, he could cross the river by walking on the water. The Buddha pointed out that this gain was insignificant for all the years of labour, since he could cross the river using a ferry for one penny!

Ahaha that cracked me up. Unless the power has practical use, It's pretty pointless. Enjoy the miracles that are already all around us.
    RainbowTara
    Cole_ said:

Cole_ said:

It's all an illusion, and life is like a dream ;)
    Jayantha said:

Ahaha that cracked me up. Unless the power has practical use, It's pretty pointless. Enjoy the miracles that are already all around us.
    The Buddha has a few sarcastic funny remarks like that in the Suttas lol.. a comedian that guy :P
    Cole_
  • Jason said:

For more info, check out "The Buddha's Attitude to Miracles."

Thank you!
    :thumbup:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I have the power of being able to instantly recognize someones face on the street that I haven't seen since kindergarten and freak them out with uncalled for affection.

If only they had the same superpower no one would be talking about restraining orders.

If the court discloses my powers, does that count as a broken vow?.
    Cole_
  • how said:

I have the power of being able to instantly recognize someones face on the street that I haven't seen since kindergarten and freak them out with uncalled for affection.

If only they had the same superpower no one would be talking about restraining orders.

Depends. Were you wearing your spandex uniform and cape at the time?
  • how said:

Heck yeah it does! Someone call the dharma police immediately!
  • edited December 2012
    Cole_ said:

Unless the power has practical use, It's pretty pointless.

But some of those powers could be very beneficial. Missing children... preventing mass shootings... finding my iPhone when I'm late :D ...

But I know that even if it had good intentions, such as trying to find a missing person, it probably interferes with the karmic lessons/path of those involved and that's why it is prohibited as well.
  • edited December 2012

Cole_ said:

But some of those powers could be very beneficial. Missing children... preventing mass shootings... finding my iPhone when I'm late :D ...

But I know that even if it had good intentions, such as trying to find a missing person, it probably interferes with karma and that's why it is prohibited as well.
    Bingo, everything happens for a reason according to karma. Best we try to work on changing the hearts of the people rather then trying to interfere with direct karma ;)
  • edited December 2012
    Cole_ said:

Bingo, everything happens for a reason according to karma. Best we try to work on changing the hearts of the people rather then trying to interfere ;)

Not trying to be a pest, but just trying to figure out all of the angles and play devil's advocate... but... okay, what's the difference, then, of having 100% proof positive knowledge you know where a missing child is located because you're psychic, and having 100% proof positive knowledge you know where a missing child is located because you used other skills you've developed in your lifetime (i.e. scientific method/deduction/reasoning/investigation)? Isn't the latter also interfering with karma then? (Again, I'm trying to use the argument that everyone is capable of developing psychic/supernatural abilities, because everyone can, just like everyone could be enlightened some day.)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Helping someone isn't always helping them, I suppose. However, that makes it pretty tricky to find out when it is ok to help and when it isn't!
    I find it an interesting topic. I'm not sure what I really think of it yet, but I've heard more than one story from monks claiming various psychic abilities. Lama Dudjom Dorjee told a story during a retreat about he and a brother eating part of a food gift that was to go to his uncle at a retreat cabin and the uncle knew exactly what had happened as if he'd been there.
    I don't believe in actual miracles so to speak, I do think there are vast amounts about the mind and it's possible "powers" that we do not understand yet, so I believe such things are capable.
    But if Buddha didn't want such things spoken of to lay persons, why are stories of it in some of the sutras? Or was it because he was teaching monks at the time and not lay people? But clearly he would have known his teachings were taught to lay people as well, so why mention them?
    RainbowTara
  • edited December 2012
    Yes, karasti, I find it all fascinating. Not in a "ooh, look at the sideshow freak who will tell me my future!" sorta way, but rather, "ooh, look-- human beings are capable of evolving so much more in so many ways!" And, hey, to be honest? I wouldn't mind being able to fly and do some cool, different things I wasn't born being able to do. :D I think we can still be humble and use our "supernatural" gifts for good and publicly and not interfere with the universe's way of handling things. Just like the saying goes: Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Eventually it will come to the point that something such as being able to read someone else's mind will be second nature, just like brushing our teeth.
  • In my city, there is a dharma store. I swear the owner has some sort of awesomeness power. He always gives me a discount, which must be that awesomeness manifesting! lol

But on a serious note, he has freaked me out on several occasions. The first time I walked into his store, he asked me to help him write a sign, which really isn't that odd, right? It is when this is how he asks: "Ah, so you want to be an English teacher? Can you help me with this sign? My English is not so good." What's so strange? Well, I had never met him before and becoming an English teacher is one of my goals. I wasn't wearing, holding, or doing anything that gave it away.

The second time I walked into his store. We talked for a good 45 minutes. During our chat, he suddenly turns the conversation to impermanence, death, and how we all should be mindful of it. I wondered why he had changed the conversation so quickly, but I didn't mind. I was just happy to have a good conversation. On my way home from the store, my mother called me and told me my paternal grandmother had passed earlier in the day. I didn't even know she was ill. I immediately stopped, cried, then freaked out for a little bit.

With concern to your question, super natural powers are not really meant for display. If they're inadvertently developed from practice, then they are either to be ignored or used through skillful means to help one along the path. This doesn't just apply to monks; it's for lay people as well. If you can use them to help others, then it's fine. The Buddha uses his powers, which are really just manifestations of his realization, to help people in the sutras.
    RainbowTaraJeffrey
  • edited December 2012

Cole_ said:

Bingo, everything happens for a reason according to karma. Best we try to work on changing the hearts of the people rather then trying to interfere ;)

Not trying to be a pest, but just trying to figure out all of the angles and play devil's advocate... but... okay, what's the difference, then, of having 100% proof positive knowledge you know where a missing child is located because you're psychic, and having 100% proof positive knowledge you know where a missing child is located because you used other skills you've developed in your lifetime (i.e. scientific method/deduction/reasoning/investigation)? Isn't the latter also interfering with karma then? (Again, I'm trying to use the argument that everyone is capable of developing psychic/supernatural abilities, because everyone can, just like everyone could be enlightened some day.)
    You answered your own question on that one, it still is interfering with karma, but we accept that and find the child anyways out of attachment and compassion. No one says you can't do it, that's your choice, sometimes we accept taking karma on ourselves to do what we feel is right. Lots of old Buddhist stories tell about that. Sometimes even, out of self sacrifice, they become enlightened. Just be careful what you mess with, some things are just simply out of our control and they are supposed to be.
  • Cole_ said:

You answered your own question on that one, it still is interfering with karma, but we accept that and find the child anyways out of attachment and compassion. No one says you can't do it, that's your choice, sometimes we accept taking karma on ourselves to do what we feel is right. Lots of old Buddhist stories tell about that. Sometimes even, out of self sacrifice, they become enlightened.

See, this is where I wonder why we just don't all sit in a cave in silence and not bother one another until we die. :-/ Everyone (hopefully) tries to help out everyone else in this world. Some of it may be karma-related, and some may be interfering, etc. It's so confusing because how do you know when not to step in and help? How do you know what's something you should be doing to set things right, and what you should be staying out of because it's not your fight to begin with? For example, did helping that poor old lady cross the street prolong her life and threw everything off balance? Was I just supposed to watch her get hit by a car and do nothing because that was her path? Maybe our futures aren't that flexible, though, and that wouldn't have happened anyway? Should I refrain from reading the news and handling money and living a layperson's life as well? Only then would I be closer to not interfering with the karma-cycle.

Anyway, I babble. One question raises another raises another. It's all very confusing. But back to the main point-- I do understand what you mean by interfering with karma. I now understand a little better why, perhaps, the monks and nuns cut themselves off from the layperson's world.
    Jeffrey
  • edited December 2012

Cole_ said:

You answered your own question on that one, it still is interfering with karma, but we accept that and find the child anyways out of attachment and compassion. No one says you can't do it, that's your choice, sometimes we accept taking karma on ourselves to do what we feel is right. Lots of old Buddhist stories tell about that. Sometimes even, out of self sacrifice, they become enlightened.

See, this is where I wonder why we just don't all sit in a cave in silence and not bother one another until we die. :-/ Everyone (hopefully) tries to help out everyone else in this world. Some of it may be karma-related, and some may be interfering, etc. It's so confusing because how do you know when not to step in and help? How do you know what's something you should be doing to set things right, and what you should be staying out of because it's not your fight to begin with? For example, did helping that poor old lady cross the street prolong her life and threw everything off balance? Was I just supposed to watch her get hit by a car and do nothing because that was her path? Maybe our futures aren't that flexible, though, and that wouldn't have happened anyway? Should I refrain from reading the news and handling money and living a layperson's life as well? Only then would I be closer to not interfering with the karma-cycle.

Anyway, I babble. One question raises another raises another. It's all very confusing. But back to the main point-- I do understand what you mean by interfering with karma. I now understand a little better why, perhaps, the monks and nuns cut themselves off from the layperson's world.
    Lots of monks pretty much do that, It's retreating or being a recluse. On minor instances, like being kind and helping the lady across the street, the karmic reaction isn't significant in either way, but trying to stop big events can become a problem. It reminds me of a book I read when I was young, the series was called PennDragon, one of the books took place during the early 20th century when the Hindenburg fiasco took place, the main character had lived in the future and knew it was coming, he wanted to stop the tragedy from happening, but the changes it made in the future were far worse then the tragedy itself. They broke it down in the book and told how it changed things, can't remember the exact details, but the moral of the story was that interfering with the balance on a grand scale can have devastating effects. Oh and I forgot to add, you'll know when you should and shouldn't interfere, trust yourself :)
    RainbowTaraDandelion
    edited December 2012

Cole_ said:

But I know that even if it had good intentions, such as trying to find a missing person, it probably interferes with the karmic lessons/path of those involved and that's why it is prohibited as well.
    I'm not so sure. The basic premise behind kamma is that there's a cause and effect relationship between our actions and how they're experienced, not that we have certain lessons we must learn in life. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu puts it, "It's simply the fact of action—you do something unskillful, it's going to come back in an unpleasant way." In the same way, if you do something skillful, it's going to come back and be experienced in a pleasant way. Kamma, then, is essentially a causal process tied to our intentions. In fact, the Buddha defines kamma as intentional actions of body, speech, and mind (AN 6.63). The word itself simply means 'action.'

The way I see it, trying to find a missing child out of compassion would be a skillful action on your part, and their being found would be a happy result. It should also be noted that monks and nuns are prohibited from displaying supranormal powers to the laity, but they can still use them to benefit people without making a display of them; and in his commentary to the Vinaya, Buddhaghosa suggests that it's worth breaking certain rules if it's for a good reason (e.g., to help save someone's life).
    RainbowTara
  • Jason said:

Cole_ said:

it's worth breaking certain rules if it's for a good reason (e.g., to help save someone's life).
    Agreed. Trust your judgment if the time comes you must make a choice like that. If you look deep within yourself, you'll find the answers. :)

But again, don't go messing with the balance on a grand scale! Hehe. ;)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I have met "Buddhist" masters of esoteric schools who certainly promoted their own woo woo powers but they seemed uncomfortable in the presence of an objective meditater. It seemed these powers needed the support of a believing congregation to be able to be manifested. I believe they thought they were using the power of greed positively but all I saw was just another enslaved human being.

All beings are capable of meditative experiences that might be called transcendent or special to worldly eyes but these arise unbidden from an egolessness that is helm less. In other words..it requires the goal of goalessness which makes for a very unwieldy phenomena..

The Buddha's path is just a trail of dropped attachments.
    "Special" or "supernatural" is just something else to be shed onto the path behind you.

lobsterkarastizenff
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I don't think they take a vow. To the contrary, in traditional societies, they're sought out for their divination abilities. Some gain a reputation for being quite good at it.

Speaking of locating missing children, a computer tutor I hired once said she did volunteer work as a psychic with the local search-and-rescue people, locating lost hikers and skiers in the mountains. She must have had some successes, because she's on call with them.
    RainbowTara
  • I remember sitting in a local cafe with Buddhists towards the end of an intense retreat. People were content just sitting and there was little conversation. What might be surprising was how questions were answered occasionally when they had not been vocalised. No one seemed aware of this as strange because it isn't . . .

From my own experience, not having vows of secrecy, any abilities develop when we have the capacity to use them in service to others. Using them for self aggrandisement or self interest and they disappear . . . :) Really no big deal.
    Dandelion
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Control Fire. Join kung-fu maybe? if you have these powers.

But to answer, psychic phenomena is hard to prove because you get on the wavelengths of other than psychic when you try to prove. Selection bias for example answers a lot of questions of close encounters of the third kind (old movie).

• I have met a few monks and nuns who were able to read my mind (freaked me OUT!)

I love it when this happens! There's so much more to reality than meets the eye! I'd love to hear more about these stories...

RainbowTara
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    During my mental breakdown some lady showed up at my door. She was from the neighborhood and asked if I needed her to buy groceries. I was grieving my mothers death even though she had not really died so I said yes and had her buy bread and milk and maybe beer. I don't know why she did that. Unexplained mystery. I've had other mysteries, but still it's just this ol' bod' and ol' mind keeping on keeping on. I thought she was a good witch or whatever paranormal being.
    plutonian
    edited December 2012
    Dakini said:

I don't think they take a vow. To the contrary, in traditional societies, they're sought out for their divination abilities. Some gain a reputation for being quite good at it.

are you talking about Buddhist monks? or people with powers in general?

It wouldn't surprise me at all but that is certainly "wrong livelihood " if monastics -

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-ajivo/index.html

Wrong livelihood for contemplatives
    ... reading marks on the limbs [e.g., palmistry]; reading omens and signs; interpreting celestial events [falling stars, comets]; interpreting dreams; reading marks on the body [e.g., phrenology]; reading marks on cloth gnawed by mice; offering fire oblations, oblations from a ladle, oblations of husks, rice powder, rice grains, ghee, and oil; offering oblations from the mouth; offering blood-sacrifices; making predictions based on the fingertips; geomancy; laying demons in a cemetery; placing spells on spirits; reciting house-protection charms; snake charming, poison-lore, scorpion-lore, rat-lore, bird-lore, crow-lore; fortune-telling based on visions; giving protective charms; interpreting the calls of birds and animals ... [The list goes on and on]

— DN 2
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I you have read this before forgive my repeating it.
    When Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was still in the robe he was Abbot of a monastery in Scotland. It was rumoured that at night he floated cross legged down the corridors.
    I asked him about this..he looked at me enigmatically for a few minutes and then said " ( Dharma name ) ..dont be stupid. "
    Do I think he did really float down the corridors but was concealing the fact...no I dont.

It reminds me of another story of the teacher who met a man who has spent many years mastering the ability to walk on water..he had got so good at it after 20 years of practice he could walk across the river.
    " What a waste of time " said the teacher " the ferryman will take you across for a penny "...
    The Dharma has one purpose...to end suffering..not to produce David Blaines.
  • Citta said:

I you have read this before forgive my repeating it.
    When Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was still in the robe he was Abbot of a monastery in Scotland. It was rumoured that at night he floated cross legged down the corridors.
    I asked him about this..he looked at me enigmaticaaly for a few minutes and then said " ( Dharma name ) ..dont be stupid. "
    Do I think he did really float down the corridors but was concealing the fact...no I dont.

It reminds me of another story of the teacher who met a man who has spent many years mastering the ability to walk on water..he had got so good at it after 20 years of practice he could walk across the river.
    " What a waste of time " said the teacher " the ferryman will take you across for a penny "...

So what does this have to do with my story posted above, though? Are you trying to imply that I am lying or imagining things?

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    No I am saying that siddhis ( supernatural powers ) ..even if they are genuine..are another distraction to be dropped. I would strongly recommend that you get hold of a copy of " Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism " its widely available.
  • edited December 2012
    Citta said:

No I am saying that siddhis ..even if they are genuine..are another distraction to be dropped.

Yeah, I understand that many people here who are hardcore Buddhists and further along the path that I am (apparently) don't care about such things. And that's great. I hope to be at the point some day, too, where I am so enlightened as well that if I saw a monk transform into a lion in front of my eyes I would not be the least impressed or curious. But since I know I'm not quite even close to that point yet, guess what? I think it's super awesome that people can read minds and fly and stuff. :D It's like a secret evolution of the body, mind, and spirit that no one discusses and I find it fascinating. If that makes me horrible in terms of properly practicing Buddhism for now, so be it. But let me look at the shiny objects and drool while I still can, because it really does amaze me. :D Maybe my path consists of getting all this woo woo stuff out of my system so it doesn't phase me in the least or interfere with my practice later on in life.
  • Its not a question of being "further down the path."..that is a another distraction.
    You are here...you are breathing...you can love and laugh. You can feel rain on your skin and wind in your hair..you dont need baubles.
    Jeffreyhow
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The greatest Siddhi's we can develop are that of Great Compassion and Supreme wisdom. :)
    Cittaseeker242lobsterzenff
  • edited December 2012
    Citta said:

Its not a question of being "further down the path."..that is a another distraction.
    You are here...you are breathing...you can love and laugh. You can feel rain on your skin and wind in your hair..you dont need baubles.

But what is the difference between feeling the rain on my skin and wind in my hair and breathing, and reading minds and flying over mountaintops? Why can't the same pure emotion be felt in all of the above things? Why is there a negative connotation assigned to "supernatural" abilities, but not simplistic ones, like the 5 senses we all agree upon?

We are evolving all of the time. One day we are most likely all going to be reading minds and levitating and such. It will be second nature, just as speaking is now. We didn't always look and act like this way as human beings. We are the work of billions of years of evolution. Back when we were first evolving, I bet you no one thought we'd be doing the things we do today. It would have been seen just as taboo back then and probably considered sorcery and the sort.
    JeffreyDandelion
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    No matter how much we do or do not evolve sentient life will be characterised by dukkha, anatta and anicca...all sentient life is according to the Buddha.
    This has nothing to do with supernatural powers real or imagined.
    It starts with us here and now, as we are, in these changing bodies with each in and out breath.
  • edited December 2012
    Citta said:

No matter how much we do or do not evolve sentient life will be characterised by dukkha, anatta and anicca...all sentient life is according to the Buddha.
    This has nothing to do with supernatural powers real or imagined.
    It starts with us here and now, as we are, in these changing bodies with each in and out breath.

Then why did you say this?:
    Citta said:

All of those things you listed are not characterized by dukkha, anatta, and anicca as well. So I am confused. Can you please explain more what you mean?
  • When you feel the rain on your skin and the wind in your hair or the sadness that comes and goes in your heart..there they are..fresh and real. You can then see clearly for yourself given time how dukkha arises ..you can see that all these things are without permanence or solidity. You can let go of them.
    Telepathy or jewellery or prophetic ability or fur coats cannot add anything to that..
    Liberation in Buddhist terms comes from seeing things as they are... No special ability is needed ..no siddhis. Just time and patience and the quieting of the mind.
    Jeffrey
    edited December 2012
    I'm agnostic when it comes to things like the existence of supranormal powers, although I've met monastics who I suspected may have been capable of reading minds so I'm open to the possibility. That said, it should be noted the presence of supranormal powers like psychic abilities in and of themselves aren't signs of enlightenment, they're simply byproducts of a well-developed meditation practice. One can posses such powers and still be slaves to their defilements. The most well-known example from the Buddha's time is Devadatta, the Buddha's cousin, who had developed supranormal powers yet still tried to kill the Buddha and take over leadership of the monastic sangha after he refused to put Devadatta in charge. (It's said that his abilities disappeared after plotting this hostile takeover, however.)
    lobster
  • edited December 2012
    Citta said:

When you feel the rain on your skin and the wind in your hair or the sadness that comes and goes in your heart..there they are..fresh and real. You can then see clearly for yourself given time how dukkha arises ..you can see that all these things are without permanence or solidity. You can let go of them.
    Telepathy or jewellery or prophetic ability or fur coats cannot add anything to that..
    Liberation in Buddhist terms comes from seeing things as they are... No special ability is needed ..no siddhis. Just time and patience and the quieting of the mind.

So according to your theory, the sense of touch is okay, but the sense of "perception" (i.e. the 6th sense that everyone has but is still underdeveloped) is not "fresh and real." I totally disagree. 1000% disagree. There is nothing "dirty" about our 6th sense. If there was, meditation wouldn't heighten that ability in those who have it. Like @Jason pointed out: "That said, it should be noted the presence of supranormal powers like psychic abilities in and of themselves aren't signs of enlightenment, they're simply byproducts of a well-developed meditation practice." You are associating misdeeds and impurities with the 6th sense. Our 6th sense just is. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just there, like sight, touch, sound, smell, and hearing are just "there."

Therefore, if someone can read minds or levitate and so forth, it's just there. It's kind of "new" to us that's why I, personally, am fascinated by it. But it holds no real power and is just something we all can do, but haven't cultivated yet. That's why I think it's so neat. But just like playing the piano, some are born naturals, some are hard workers and eventually do it well, and some just don't care or don't want to and never try. "Psychic abilities" (for lack of a better term) are beautiful, natural things to behold. And I appreciate that beauty, just like I appreciate someone who can paint well or calculate math problems well or be a loving parent.
    JeffreyDandelion
  • It's a distraction for those who hear of such abilities and for those who possess those abilities.

But at the same time they are attainments as a by product of clarity.

Just like anything and everything. From the view point of clarity it is the mandala worn as an ornament. From the view point of ignorance it is poison.

For a monk their vows are more important than their lives. And in general most of Buddhist does not like to share their experiences or attainments. Everything is very hush hush and done in private with those who are trusted.

Just my opinion.
    JeffreyDandelion
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I said nothing at all about "dirtiness," "impurity "or "misdeeds". Each of those terms have been introduced into the discussion by you. I am quite happy to agree with Jason's description of supranormal powers as byproducts..a byproduct by definition not being the point of the exercise.
    But please feel free to disagree 1000%..but lets be clear what we are disagreeing 1000% about.
    NB Jason also said that he is "agnostic " about the existence of such powers.
  • taiyaki said:

It's a distraction for those who hear of such abilities and for those who possess those abilities.

You know this as fact, then?
    lobster