Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non-Self and Personality

This is something I cannot figure out.
If there is no me or I - no enduring soul - the self is just an illusion
what accounts for our varying connections to different people?
i dont get how personality fits into this equation...

Comments

• The equations of personality varied from the level of wisdom. the accounting principle varied according to wavelength, infra, x-ray frequencies....lol
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Our heart connections are outside of space and time. My guru wrote a book about death called 'there is more to death than dying'. In it she describes her Buddhist practice of relaxing into her heart connections at the time of death. This obviously makes sense with the bodhisattva practice in that your are staying with you loving (and otherwise) connections to others. The personality might change however on next life. And the personality can change in this life for that matter! We are not static beings.
  • interesting - so what does that mean exactly - 'relaxing into her heart connections' ?
  • You would have to read the book, I haven't read it yet! I guess it would mean remembering the love you experienced in samsara and letting go of the suffering. So it's like you pan for gold and you let go of the silt and 'let be' the gold. That analogy shows also that you can cling to tightly to the gold, but living beings awaken us more than just worldly possessions. It's like the story of the man who went to heaven but they wouldn't let him bring in his dog. So he left the pearly gates and kept going down to a shoddy poor town but they let him bring his mangy mutt in there. When he asked about heaven they said, 'oh those people are in hell, this is the real heaven.'
    Deepankar
  • The self is "like" an illusion. Not an illusion.

There is a major difference in what is asserted.

To understand the lack of inherent existence of self one must understand dependent arising.

For instance the personality is the result of past causes/conditions. It's not like there is some entity behind collecting, and waiting for life to be experienced. You are exactly the experience itself. Thus you are complete action of body, speech, and mind always moving always in flow due to causes/conditions.

Thus personalities can apparently exist, yet they are not findable because they don't exist like how we perceive them to (inherent existence thus giving status of is or isn't).

So we can say everything is like an illusion.

Because if we say it is an illusion, well that is a negation, which is basically an affirmation. You can only negate that which you deem as real or was once real.

If we say its real, well then where is it? Things are changing and moving about. Where is the exact essence of everything? And if we're honest and we don't assert and give into our thoughts then we'll come up empty handed.

So really illusion like is the best answer because well things functions and experiences are had. But there is no ground.

But that also means liberation as well for those who can intuit it.
    lobster
  • beautifully written, thank you so much. this is what i was trying to remember.
  • I'll give you a more positive spin on this.

Each moment you are fully yourself and when you are fully yourself then you are intimate with everything.

When you are intimate you recognize the sacredness of life and your life. Then you die fully into this moment, this life.

And each moment you are born and then you die. Nothing is left yet there you are.

So your life as it is in its continual unfolding is the sacred dharma manifesting as a coreless magic trick.

When the heart catches this then the only response is to weep.

I hope this reaches you.
  • edited January 2013
    Your own dream may offer some insight. And in sleep without dream, whats the personality trait that can be in accounting, the only accountancy is the personality of the environment,bed, pillow and the living dead ...lol
  • it did reach me. and i do think to bear witness to this sacred dharma manifest is so amazing - completely natural yet not analytically understandable.
    Deepankar
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

This is something I cannot figure out.
    If there is no me or I - no enduring soul - the self is just an illusion
    what accounts for our varying connections to different people?
    i dont get how personality fits into this equation...

The short answer seems to be that different people are illusions also.
  • Nevermind said:

i understand that in theory, but in practice our connections with others are so drastically varied that i find theory and practice out of sync here.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    So we "exist" in a sense only.
  • We don't exist. You will not find an 'I' in any of the components of the conditions that give rise to 'personality'. In this sense we are empty or illusionary. We also have a very real sense or awareness of a distinct sense of self. Meditation and the eightfold path generate the conditions of a real being. Awake.
  • We have personalities but they are subject to change. There is an 'I', look in the mirror, is there a person there? Of course there but it is an illusion, it is you but not what most people consider that person to be is an illusion. Our personalities are always in flux, we react to things and have traits we have come to learn as we have grown, this is just natural. The non-self in Buddhism points to actually seeing who is there and what you really are with the third eye of mindfulness. Wise monks and nuns are not like robots without personalities, look at the Dalai Lama, always making jokes, laughing and throwing snowballs at people. Ajahn Brahm another guy who is always laughing and making jokes, we are human beings..
    lobsterJason
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Hmm, Lobster doesnt exist, what a thought!!
    Well I do and a lot of others as well.

Its clearly written in the sutras that there are 2 kind of truth, the conventional everyday and the ultimate truths.

In the conventional, we all exist, otherwise, theres no world. In the ultimate, its only theres no fixed, unchanging independent entity. Each person is everchanging ( look at our cell division, our personalities, our minds) all changes over time. We are shaped by our surroundings, interaction with others, our food, aging, sickness, this is the basis of interdependent origination. The 'no-I, not-self' speak is confusing.

Look at a table, it exist conventionally, the truth ultimately is that its made up of molecules and atoms. Is it correct to say theres no table or it doesnt exist... well only if you're discussing the Dharma, otherwise people might think you need to be institutionalised.

All the major concepts of Buddhism are linked; (Inter)dependent origination, Mind only, impermanence, rebirth, the realms of existence, Karma and whatever else.
    It would be an incomplete picture if we discard notions that we have yet to understand, and say this is the 'new' path.

Nope, we must to strive to understand, not discard, the unknown.
    ThailandTomlobster
  • One thing I would like to add OP is my experience with this problem, getting your head around what the Buddha is trying to teach here. I once thought that when I would finally fully understand non-self, dependent origination and emptiness that I would see the world physically different in some way. I though that my actual vision would transform into some kind of 'wisdom vision' LOL, don't ask how it would look because I cannot put that into words, the fact is it is going to look similar to what it did before, apart from the obvious changes of weather, aging etc. The trick is to see things for how they really are, accept them for how they really are and to be ok with things how they are.
    PatrJeffrey
  • Two hands both empty, one contains the idea of an orange. Which has more orange?
    Clap the hands nothing there.

Now let us cloak the orange with causes for a tree, blossom and fruit and place the fruit in one hand. Now the conditions are more real because more real orangeness is manifest and clings to the zest. Now which hand is holding the real?

In a similar way the components of being arise. Very real. Experienced as real. What is empty of reality is the ideas of self, experience of imaginary or real, static and certain oranges. All this fuss over nothing . . .
    Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    lobster said:

All this fuss over nothing . . .

It certainly feels like something though; what a good illusion. Even when I kinda understand it intellectually, I can't see through it.

In A.A. we're taught that we can't stay sober purely on self knowledge. Some knowledge is needed, but we need do to do more than just understand our condition at an intellectual level.

I think this 'seeing through the illusion of self' is a bit like that, conceptual understanding only gets us so far.

• Tosh said:

lobster said:

All this fuss over nothing . . .

It certainly feels like something though; what a good illusion. Even when I kinda understand it intellectually, I can't see through it.

In A.A. we're taught that we can't stay sober purely on self knowledge. Some knowledge is needed, but we need do to do more than just understand our condition at an intellectual level.

I think this 'seeing through the illusion of self' is a bit like that, conceptual understanding only gets us so far.

I think that when people say 'see things and yourself for how they really are' it is often misunderstood, it may come across as literally seeing as in looking with your eyes. That is not the case, you need to see as in understand how they operate in this world and interact with the mind, this can be done by viewing things as they arise with mindfulness which is the 3rd eye, so I guess it is kind of like looking :P
    lobster
  • Rather than 'see' we could say 'sense' or 'become aware of the essence' or 'suchness'. This suchness has no qualities independent of their originating arisings. There is no soul, divine non transitory force, that is any more real than software, when the computer is off.

Gosh I almost sound as if I know what I am talking about. Must cut down on imagining I am Manjushri.
    http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/manjushri
    ThailandTom
  • lobster said:

Rather than 'see' we could say 'sense' or 'become aware of the essence' or 'suchness'. This suchness has no qualities independent of their originating arisings. There is no soul, divine non transitory force, that is any more real than software, when the computer is off.

Gosh I almost sound as if I know what I am talking about. Must cut down on imagining I am Manjushri.
    http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/manjushri

Yes, this is where the English language can throw a few problems into the equation. The translations from the original Pali can cause some confusion from time to time. Mental observation, sensing is a good one as that is what we become more aware of along with the 6th sense in Buddhism, consciousness.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I knew a man who was witty, kind, and compassionate when he was around his friends or even strangers. Everyone liked him. But when he got behind closed doors with only his wife and stepson, he was a cruel tyrant who looked for ways to humiliate and belittle the people who depended on him for food and shelter. Because of this, when his stepson tried to tell people what sort of torture he was going through, nobody believed him. After all, they knew this man.

Which one of these is this man's true personality?

It's true, what the posters above say, that no-self doesn't mean you don't exist. It means that permanent, unchanging thing we think of as ourself is an illusion. A false appearance. Your personality - the face you present to the world - is dependent on the skandhas that make up your mind all working together in response to your perceptions. You react in some ways like a chamelion to the situation around you and attempt to play the role you've learned.

It's easy to look and act enlightened on a meditation mat. Wait until someone cuts in line in front of you at a checkout counter and see what happens to that enlightened mind.

VastmindJasonlobstercarolann
  • Personality is a mixture of many things such as upbringing, personal experience, habits, genetics, and health. It is mostly our perception of "us". What accounts for the varying connections to different people is dependent on what we perceive "I" to be. To an extent we exist because of our minds, but the self that does not exist is the attached, clinging, and craving self that is also created in our minds.
    Jeffreylobster
  • driedleaf said:

What accounts for the varying connections to different people is dependent on what we perceive "I" to be.

See, I dont think my varying connections to people is dependent on whether or not I think I am like this or that. Arent some connections to others more instantaneously - not based on what we perceive them to be like analytically or ourselves.
    ThailandTom
  • If we have a certain perception of "I" and a certain perception of another person that we feel quite attached to, those perceptions could influence our interactions with the other. For example, we may think "I am more intelligent than people give me credit for" and also "he is quite pompous, using fancy language and big words". Then, we might not be so friendly toward that person. But, what if we realize that our perception of "I" and of the other are not neccessarily true. Then, it could be the case that we are causing ourself grief that is not neccessary by holding these quite rigid ideas about "I" and "them".

Really, if we are all in constant flux as the result of an interconnection of causes and condition with all other things, then any idea of "what I am" or "what you are" is bound to have limited usefulness and the potential to cause suffering.
    driedleaf
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

that no-self doesn't mean you don't exist. It means that permanent, unchanging thing we think of as ourself is an illusion. A false appearance. Your personality - the face you present to the world - is dependent on the skandhas that make up your mind all working together in response to your perceptions. You react in some ways like a chamelion to the situation around you and attempt to play the role you've learned.

It's easy to look and act enlightened on a meditation mat. Wait until someone cuts in line in front of you at a checkout counter and see what happens to that enlightened mind.

A better explanation than most I've seen on this topic. Thank you!

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the thread everyone....so far, so good. :clap:
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited January 2013

Nevermind said:

The short answer seems to be that different people are illusions also.

i understand that in theory, but in practice our connections with others are so drastically varied that i find theory and practice out of sync here.
    Maybe just try to keep in mind that all the goofy jargon like no-self, not-self, no abiding self, no inherent self, etc etc, simply points to impermanence. And everything is, apparently, impermanent. Not only selves are impermanent, of course. There are rocks, trees, galaxies, and there are selves, but all of it is apparently impermanent. That's not a bad thing actually, because if anything was permanent or unchanging it would be completely frozen and dead.
    Jeffrey
  • And everything is, apparently, impermanent
    Except enlightenment? :rolleyes:
    Emptiness is form and form is emptiness . . .
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddhismglossarye/g/enlightendef.htm

It might just be that the personality has to change and align with the impermanent, become more flexible, open and virtuous . . .
    Good gracious, in order to be enlightened, we have to bcome more enlightened. Who would have guessed.

Oh Buddha
  • See, I dont think my varying connections to people is dependent on whether or not I think I am like this or that. Arent some connections to others more instantaneously - not based on what we perceive them to be like analytically or ourselves.

We see labels, we label, and we fall into labels accordingly and "instantaneously". What accounts for the labels? Perception.