Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is your Buddhist goal?

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
Every time someone mentions their goal of attaining enlightenment, it gets me wondering. I don't think I have ever consciously aimed for enlightenment. It's always been one of those things that in the day to day, I feel rather unconcerned with (also lumped in that group: God, reincarnation, etc.)

My practice has always been more primarily geared towards the results that I can see: compassion, appropriate action, decrease in stress, eradicating wrong views, etc. For me personally, it is a little victory when I encounter a situation in which I react differently (more appropriately) than I know I would have in the past, before Buddhism. But then again, I am an independent practitioner, just reading my books... so I have no way of really knowing how my practice matches up with others.

So, what's your goal here? Do you actively strive for enlightenment? Do you just use Buddhism as a means of decreasing suffering and delusion? Do you believe you will be enlightened?
Wisdom23JeffreylobsterMaryAnneThailandTomDavidDeepankarDavetheseekerRenataSileThaiLotusJasondriedleafTheEccentric

Comments

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Lose 10 lbs.
    zombiegirllobsterDeepankarsova
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    If I have a goal it would be to foster the best sense of compassion I can.

I guess if I was enlightened I could help more people to awaken in kind but if I'm far enough away, that could mean focusing on myself too much when I could be helping others. Helping others seems to do more for my awareness than aiming for enlightenment anyways.

MaryAnneDeepankar
  • simply to create a better me so i can help, spread the love and happiness to others. Well in a nutshell lol
    MaryAnneDeepankar
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Nibbana...
    Deepankar
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    In my meditation I seek to feel good and delve into the mysteries/expand my mind.

In terms of my life I hope for peace and non-delusion. My voices I hear are a great theatre, but other things too like transforming daily boredom, loving kindness, more alive, understanding, and easy going and open.

I can see how some/most of those relate towards going in the direction if not the actual realization of nirvana
    MaryAnneDeepankar
  • Nothing short of Buddhahood. Life is way too short and fragile to have small goals.
    lobsterDeepankarsova
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I just want to be happy. Sounds selfish huh? Well much of my practise involves the practise of compassion and it's that that provides meaning to my life.
    MaryAnneBunksDeepankar
    Tosh said:

I just want to be happy. Sounds selfish huh? Well much of my practise involves the practise of compassion and it's that that provides meaning to my life.

just as we know we individually want to be well, happy, and peaceful, so too do all beings wish to be well, happy, and peaceful. In knowing this for yourself you know it for all beings and develop equanimity and compassion for all beings.

nothing wrong or "selfish" with that. When I finish the guided metta meditations I do on the BC, I often talk about how I think that is part of the problem in western society. We are always taught to put others first and that it is "selfish" to think about ourselves. This is one of the major reasons I'm not a big fan of the whole bodhisatva concept in Mahayana. You can't hope to have compassion and empathy for all beings if you can't have it for yourself first.

MaryAnneRenatazombiegirl
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    One step at a time. :)
    lobsterMaryAnneDeepankar
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I think I'm on the same train as you, @ZombieGirl.
    I rarely worry about reaching "enlightenment". No, to be honest, I never worry about that!

I view Buddhism as a means (for me) to dwell in a reality of serenity, compassion with as little 'suffering' as possible (by detaching from unnecessary desires and cravings) and therefore living this life as happily as possible.

At the same time by walking the Buddhist path and honoring the 8 fold path and precepts, I am contributing to the happiness and serenity of my family, community and the world at large. ;) Win, win, as far as I'm concerned, right? :D
    ToshDavid
  • Do you believe you will be enlightened?
    No belief required. I will be enlightened. One person at a time.
    David
  • @Jayantha, that's true that you need to have compassion for yourself. That's the case in the Mahayana as well. We have a practice mandala and all the stress from the mandala stresses the center. We have to be careful to take care of the center enough so that it can manage the stress. Otherwise the whole mandala will come apart. It's also how Trungpa Rinpoche and Pema Chodron teach metta meditation starting with yourself. For that matter Theravada does teach metta meditation thus it is similar to the Mahayana Bodhisattva path.
    sean
    Jeffrey said:

@Jayantha, that's true that you need to have compassion for yourself. That's the case in the Mahayana as well. We have a practice mandala and all the stress from the mandala stresses the center. We have to be careful to take care of the center enough so that it can manage the stress. Otherwise the whole mandala will come apart. It's also how Trungpa Rinpoche and Pema Chodron teach metta meditation starting with yourself. For that matter Theravada does teach metta meditation thus it is similar to the Mahayana Bodhisattva path.

@jeffrey well said friend and that you for the education and clarification :) Sadu
    sean
  • The same goal we try to complete every night pinky, to try and take over the world!!!

But that is a very good point zombiegirl, I don't think I myself have ever thought "yea I want to be an enlightened being", maybe at the very start the thought may have seemed appealing, but Buddhism throws up goals daily for me. It is life, Buddhism is life with a different set of glasses to view it with. It is the same life as it was ever going to be, but you tackle each goal and hurdle with a different mindset. So my ultimate goal is to be A-OK with how things are around me at any given moment, to just be.
    seanMaryAnneJeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    lobster said:

Do you believe you will be enlightened?
    No belief required. I will be enlightened. One person at a time.

I agree with this.

• I prefer to think life is like one of those bingo ball sorters. One by one everyone will get enlightened. I'm just moving forward hoping that with continued practice my life will suck less and maybe be better the next time around.
    MaryAnne
    Jeffrey said:

@Jayantha, that's true that you need to have compassion for yourself. That's the case in the Mahayana as well. We have a practice mandala and all the stress from the mandala stresses the center. We have to be careful to take care of the center enough so that it can manage the stress. Otherwise the whole mandala will come apart. It's also how Trungpa Rinpoche and Pema Chodron teach metta meditation starting with yourself. For that matter Theravada does teach metta meditation thus it is similar to the Mahayana Bodhisattva path.

It's interesting that we have to take care of ourselves in order to be able to take care of others while caring for others helps us to see the worth in ourselves.
    Jeffrey
  • Ultimately, I want to be a better human being and help others.
    BunkslobsterMaryAnneRenata
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

It's interesting that we have to take care of ourselves in order to be able to take care of others while caring for others helps us to see the worth in ourselves.
    One of the many paradoxes in buddhism!

You need to find yourself to lose yourself...
    cazThailandTomMaryAnne
  • SileSile Veteran
    Wonderful, wonderful question. I wish from the bottom of my heart to attain enlightenment for the sake of myself and all similarly-suffering beings, and yet my negative actions/lazy inactions don't reflect this. So I hope to somehow improve down this path little-by-little, always hoping for a lot-by-a lot. My teacher's instruction, on the other hand, was simply to "be kind." That was the only vow. Sometimes I feel that's a full-time job at which I fail constantly, but which bears fruit even in the inadequate effort.
    MaryAnne
  • Do you actively strive for enlightenment?

What a selfish goal. What a waste of useful aspiration. :confused:
    I actively try and find in others what they already 'have' . . . which a little buddha bird told me . . .
    Is enlightenment.
    It is kind of the kind thing to do . . . Might take my mind (whatever that is, if anything) off my self obsession . . .
    :thumbsup:
  • I submit that one who has a basic understanding of Buddhist thought would probably say something along the lines of: My Buddhist goal is to have no goal.

...but me personally? My goal is to suffer.

My greatest attachment is the world itself; should I detach from this world entirely and reach nirvana, I would leave it alone to its own demons and devices, and frankly, I'm arrogant and crazy enough to believe that I can make some kind of a difference in this crazy world for the better. Therein, my goal is to reincarnate as many times as possible, to deny nirvana, because my happiness is nothing when I think about the pain of the world, and how I could use my talents to help it, if but even in the smallest of ways. When everyone can ascend to nirvana, then I will. Until that day, I will remain here, in one form or another, forever, by choice.

There is much work to be done, and many people to be helped.
    Jeffrey
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    As for me, I'm outta here ASAP. Stream Entry will be enough for this life though... That's my goal.
    Sile
  • As for me, I'm outta here ASAP. Stream Entry will be enough for this life though... That's my goal.

What's the rush James? hehehe
  • ...but me personally? My goal is to suffer
    Outstanding. The dark side. :clap:
    Too much of a woos to embrace suffering. [sob]
    Maybe I should have another look at those Mahayana vows . . .
  • lobster said:

...but me personally? My goal is to suffer
    Outstanding. The dark side. :clap:
    Too much of a woos to embrace suffering. [sob]
    Maybe I should have another look at those Mahayana vows . . .

I remember a long while ago somebody made a thread about what is the meaning of life, or what is the point of life. I replied 'suffering' which basically it is. Life is suffering, no getting away from that, so the sooner you get to know suffering the sooner you will want to be free from it, and hopefully eventually you will.
  • suffering is clearly not something we all want to be free of . . .
    Volitional suffering is a high calling . . . :bowdown:
  • lobster said:

suffering is clearly not something we all want to be free of . . .
    Volitional suffering is a high calling . . . :bowdown:

Not volitional suffering, that is what the Buddha tried before he found the correct path, the middle way. if you are suffering, suffer, unless you can put a stop to it of course, but don't create unnecessary suffering for yourself either. If you are suffering, observe it, understand it, don't embrace it or try to push it away, just be and watch it pass.
    lobster
  • mettanandomettanando Veteran
    edited January 2013
    No goal. Despite all temptation. Breath follows breath.
    RenataGuiBunks
  • just be and watch it pass
    Yes indeed. Will have to pass the Bodhisattvas volitional rebirthing scheme when I come to it . . . :rockon:
  • All beings to attain Bodhicitta before I completely enter bodhi.
    Jeffrey
  • edited January 2013
    Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
    They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
    Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
    ~Lama Surya Das~

This quote is the basis for my goal. To find joy and fulfillment and to share that with the others in my life. Even if it is only in passing, I wish that the joy I have been able to find, maybe just my smile or great attitude, will brighten anothers day.
    Jeffrey
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Great replies to this thread! Keep 'em coming :D
    novaw0lf said:

I submit that one who has a basic understanding of Buddhist thought would probably say something along the lines of: My Buddhist goal is to have no goal.

...but me personally? My goal is to suffer.

My greatest attachment is the world itself; should I detach from this world entirely and reach nirvana, I would leave it alone to its own demons and devices, and frankly, I'm arrogant and crazy enough to believe that I can make some kind of a difference in this crazy world for the better. Therein, my goal is to reincarnate as many times as possible, to deny nirvana, because my happiness is nothing when I think about the pain of the world, and how I could use my talents to help it, if but even in the smallest of ways. When everyone can ascend to nirvana, then I will. Until that day, I will remain here, in one form or another, forever, by choice.

There is much work to be done, and many people to be helped.

Maybe you're a Bodhisattva of the Earth. It is said that they continually choose to reincarnate for humanity. :) I feel the same, btw.
    Renata said:

Not only that, but conceptually I also realized that if one becomes fixated on the 'goal' of enlightenment- what is really happening? If we see enlightenment as a goal, like some kind of a holy, transcendent promotion, and then grasp it with all our might, we are simply replacing our current attachments with yet another.

These are my thoughts as well but I wasn't able to articulate them as eloquently as you have. :) The finger pointing at the moon and all that...
  • I do not know.

But I sense that the path is leading in the right direction and so I'm walking it.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Pondered this over the last couple of days - very interesting.

Goals to me are a lot like vision - the current object of my focus seems to be my current goal.

As for Buddhism… for me, that seems to sit most comfortably with as few hindrances as possible – in that context, goals have progressively presented themselves as hindrances.

A very loose example; I enjoy gardening – there was a time when I would plan what I wanted to achieve much like the rest of my life – nowadays, I potter where the wind takes me… bulbs are thrown resting where they lay, plants shout for attention and multiple logistics-lacking trips to the shed… so much more opportunity to simply ‘garden’.
    Jeffrey
  • i want to learn how to cope with the shit that life throws at me on a daily basis... i dont know about that enlightenment lark yet though.
    Brian
  • The shit that life throws IS enlightenment.
    Its all a matter of where we stand.
    lobsterBrianBunks
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Goals are dreams inside dreams. Strive without hope and without despair. Drink your tea.
  • Soon I have an appointment with 'Mr Cushion'. I will sit on him. It is the kind thing to do. What other kind things are possible? Smile more? Make efforts to be a better person? If I keep this up I could be a Buddha before anyone knows it . . . :om:
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Gui said:

Goals are dreams inside dreams. Strive without hope and without despair. Drink your tea.

On reflection,this seems completely upside down. My task is not to forget the 3rd noble truth, the Heart Sutra... But I have heard these things. What excuse do I use now?

• Thanks @zombiegirl - you are very kind! I am glad that what I wrote may have helped you in some way. _/|\_
  • mettanandomettanando Veteran
    edited January 2013
    One of my first teachers was Ajahn Munindo, now Abbot of one of Ajahn Chahs monasteries.. at Harnham in the UK.
    He suggests that instead of goal orientated practice we develop Source orientated practice.
    Focusing on the here and now, in this body.
  • Do you just use Buddhism as a means of decreasing suffering and delusion?
    Just?
    That to me is the whole of the Middle Way.
    Our suffering is based on the delusional way we interact with experience. Dwelling in negativity, past, future and fantasy.
    As we clear some of these tendencies we just quite naturaly and inevitably move towards enlightenment . . . :clap:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    lobster said:

Do you just use Buddhism as a means of decreasing suffering and delusion?
    Just?
    That to me is the whole of the Middle Way.
    Our suffering is based on the delusional way we interact with experience. Dwelling in negativity, past, future and fantasy.
    As we clear some of these tendencies we just quite naturaly and inevitably move towards enlightenment . . . :clap:

"Do you actively strive for enlightenment? Do you just use Buddhism as a means of decreasing suffering and delusion?"

I didn't mean to belittle it. I meant for it to be read by taking the sentence before it into account. I view those aspects as intrinsic to Buddhism as well, thus I used the 'just' to imply that you are doing those things but without actively striving for enlightenment (which was the first question). Sorry, I should have worded it a little better/used a semi-colon/perhaps added an "or" to make it all one sentence. ...Ugh. Grammar.
  • @zombiegirl your wording is fine. I was rather unskilfully bringing peoples attention back to where we are going and why. We are on a path for a variety of reasons. Some of us will become Buddhas, in this very body, in this very year [shrug]

Failure is an option :D