Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are the 'three marks of existence' FACTS.. Or just a 'buddhist' concept?

I dont want people to get defensive towards buddhism!

I would just like 'your' opinion!

Im just wondering is it 'Fact' that there is 'No self' - there is no 'I'

And if you believe its 'fact' can you share your experience as to when you 'realized' this for 'yourself' !

Also My question only arises because if things are 'facts' then that means 'Everyone' - (all religions) would agree with this 'non self'

Is that true? Do all religions agree or is it, like, a buddhist concept which now you believe it is true through your practice in buddhism..

Comments

• It is verified and verfiable fact. It does not mean the experience of I or self does not exist. It means that the I does not exist or can not be found in the component parts. We look for the I in some forms of meditation. Guess what? Not found. :wave:
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    zenmyste said:

For me, the definition of 'fact' itself is sufficiently challenging...
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Well for me personally the first two, Anicca(impermanence) and Dukkha(unsatisfactoriness), are utterly verifiable through my own experience up to this point.

the third Anatta(not-self) I think is the hardest to come to see through your own experience. I think I've been picking at the surface but I truely do not see "not-self" in everything... yet. That is one of the marks of a stream-winner, wisdom of not-self.

So to sum up-

Anicca(Impermenance)- all things are forever changing, even science supports this fact by showing us that our cells die and new cells arise every second. We also know that this universe had a beginning and it will have an end..there will be a time when all the gas from all the stars dies out and the universe goes black once more.

Dukkha(unsatisfactoriness) - The level of this one really does depend on the individual. Some can only see that there are some things in life that are "suffering" or "unsatisfactory". While others can see that even in what we consider the most "happy" things in life.. there is unsatisfactoriness. Because we do not know that all things are impermanent we cling to things, and when they change ( arise/pass away) we suffer because of our ignorance.

Anatta( Not-self) - Again I cannot speak with much experiential wisdom on this. But we are supposed to come to realize that there is not-self in everything. What is this body? is there a self in this mind? in this arm? leg? our speech? where is this "self" and what makes up this "self", just this, the five aggregates, form, feeling, perception, mental formations, and consciousness.
  • They are modes of seeing which bring letting go or release.

If taken to be ontological truths then one will stagnant. One uses the view to facilitate dropping.
    mettanandosova
  • At the risk of sounding like a cliche...there really is only one way to find out.
    ThailandTomInvincible_summersova
  • When you factually understand that nothing that you truly can control over it and that "existence or self" that have no control of whatsoever, in itself is a fact :D
  • Making something into a fact basically makes the inquiry dead. When the inquiry is alive then there is no more bullshit to had and no true abiding place to cling to and to rest. Concepts are useless unless applied.
    sova
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Fact.

Conditioned Phenomena are Impermanent.

There is suffering it pervades all of Samsara.

There is no Inherent Self things are illusory.

These are 3 true things that are verified by logic and experience.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited January 2013
    caz said:

Fact.

Can you please share your experience of realizing things are ILLUSORY??
    How do you ''know'' things are not 'real'

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I think they're a characteristic of all conditioned phenomena, particularly in terms of the five aggregates. All conditioned phenomena are inconstant, arising, persisting, and passing away due to a variety of causes and conditions (AN 3.47). And whatever is inconstant is inherently stressful due to the opposing conditions or tensions that both sustain and assail the manifestation of conditioned phenomena, and this process of conditionality has the potential to causes mental stress and suffering with the presence of clinging in the mind. Moreover, anything that's inconstant, subject to change, stressful, and not under our complete control isn't fit to be called 'self.' Self is that which is "permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change" (SN 24.3). When looking at my body, feelings, perceptions, thoughts, and consciousness, for example, none of those things are characterized by constancy in my experience. All change. None are completely under my control. I can't say, "Let my body be thus, let my body not be thus" (SN 22.59). And when something happens to one of these phenomena (e.g., unwanted change, injury, illness, etc.), or arises that I don't like or can't get rid of (e.g., unpleasant thoughts, annoying songs, etc.), and gives rise to unpleasant or painful feelings, it causes me stress and suffering due to my attachment to these things as 'me' and 'mine' (SN 45.165). Whether or not anyone else believes this to be true, I've found it to be so in my own experience.
    Brianmettanandolobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

We look for the I in some forms of meditation. Guess what? Not found. :wave:

Though not finding something doesn't prove non-existence.
    :p
    taiyakilobster
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I exist but not as 'I' exist. anatta means not-self - meaning not-mine. anatta does not mean no-self. Moreover, there is difference between self and Self. Buddha did not answered the question - whether there exists a Self or not. what Buddha taught was - whatever we can perceive through our six senses is not-self, because whatever is perceived through conditions is already conditioned, so impermanent, so it cannot be an entity in and of itself, so it cannot be a self, so it is not-self.
  • They are considered seals because for the most part when we examine reality with the lenses of the three marks then automatically there is letting go. If we let go then we can safely assume we are seeing the three marks. Both work together.

The three marks cannot be ontological truths but rather they are experiential.

Impermanence as an experience is neither permanent, nor impermanent. Its like everything is complete change, thus absolutely nothing is happening. Changing without reference points. Thus nothing changing, nor is there a basis to designate something as changing. Just complete change. But really that doesn't line up with our dualistic/inherent thinking, which assumes changes requires something not changing and changing itself is something changing. Well when you experience and push through the projections of subject/object you find a fractal which is changing but absolutely nothing changing. Paradox to the mind, very apparent in direct experience.

And what does that conclude? Absolutely nothing for the mind but everything for liberation. It basically means that everything is liberating itself continuously and no antidotes are required. But to arrive at that conclusion requires tremendous letting go as a state of being.

What about non-self?

In direct experience there is absolute no "er", subject. Directly hearing a sound there is only sound, only the process of hearing. Then we project hearer, which is a thought that references a certain location. So experience is then built with time, subject, reference points. But again in experience there is only the sound. If one actually practices in such way then anatta can be known to be obvious as it is always the case. It is only thought that references an assumed subject.

What about suffering?

Everything is suffering because we conceive the world as real or unreal. Is or isn't. The assumption is that there is actually independent things out there or in here. Not only that we give time, location, subjects, meaning, preferences to inherent existence. So even if we see through the illusion of self or the subject we still haven't seen the illusion of the phenomenal world, which the self is made up of. We drop thoughts and come to experience everything in the six doors. But then we cannot see the emptiness of the six doors thus we suffer. Ignorance is the greatest spell that is casted by the mind.

The point of all this isn't just dry intellectual theory. It is to examine everything in our experience without coming to a conclusion. There are no conclusions: just suffering and the release of suffering.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • Not to be a buzz kill:

Facts, opinions and experience.

Subjectivity and objectivity have no true hierarchy other than the assumed functioning and assumed bias we have.

Buddhism as a whole is about suffering and the end of suffering, which basically requires no objectivity or subjectivity.

So the real question and crux of the meaning is does the view taken bring more suffering or does it bring less suffering?
    sova
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    lobster said:

It is verified and verfiable fact. It does not mean the experience of I or self does not exist. It means that the I does not exist or can not be found in the component parts. We look for the I in some forms of meditation. Guess what? Not found. :wave:

Nothing can be found in the "component parts," yet things are found. You're answering a different question.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    What do you think is the difference between facts and concepts?

For a concept say: Force = mass x acceleration

But when we test that concept we find that the reality of the world fits the concept.

But that is dealing with external reality and not the mind.

External reality and the mind are separate?
  • No nevermind they are not separate, I agree with you. I was just trying to make a distinction between something that is an experiment where we are supposed to removed from the testing and something in which we are a participant. My science example the experiment the scientist is supposed to be removed from the workings he is investigating.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    zenmyste said:

caz said:

Fact.

Can you please share your experience of realizing things are ILLUSORY??
    How do you ''know'' things are not 'real'

All phenomena are as "real" as Dreams, For although they appear they do not truly exist by way of having no established Inherent existence, In Lamrim Meditation we are taught to look for the Truly existent Body, Self, Phenomena when the search is applied with wisdom these objects cannot be found to exist in the way they appear and their appearance to Samsaric being is that of Inherent existence/True existence this is the object of negation, Clinging to the delusion of Self-grasping is what keeps us firmly placed in Samsara.

It is important to note no one disputes the conventionality of the objects themselves simply their mode of existence.

Again all things are like dreams for although they appear they do not truly exist !
    Jayantha said:

Dukkha(unsatisfactoriness) - The level of this one really does depend on the individual. Some can only see that there are some things in life that are "suffering" or "unsatisfactory". While others can see that even in what we consider the most "happy" things in life.. there is unsatisfactoriness. Because we do not know that all things are impermanent we cling to things, and when they change ( arise/pass away) we suffer because of our ignorance.

Unsatisfactory satisfaction, hmmm. Is that like unhappy happiness? I don't understand why it can't also work the other way around, like satisfactory dissatisfaction or happy unhappiness. And how can we not know that things are impermanent? Have you ever known anything that doesn't change?
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Don't some religions believe in a soul?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    taiyaki said:

Not to be a buzz kill:

Facts, opinions and experience.

Subjectivity and objectivity have no true hierarchy other than the assumed functioning and assumed bias we have.

Buddhism as a whole is about suffering and the end of suffering, which basically requires no objectivity or subjectivity.

So the real question and crux of the meaning is does the view taken bring more suffering or does it bring less suffering?

I think if properly understood, it would bring less suffering. Instead of getting us to cling to either objectivity or subjectivity, it blurs the distinction between them.

• @jeffrey 8 fold path is not a concept, is a fact. A fact of present but the quality of it depends on one, the practitioners themselves, and two the concept of non practitioner exploring buddhism as an ideology or symbolism.
    Jeffrey
  • Bunks said:

Don't some religions believe in a soul?

Indeed they do. Where is it? How is it different to a mind arising or other dream fantasy? Some believe it has to be constructed. Some believe that dogs and women don't have souls (Jains).

Belief - a form of delusion for the childish?
    Belief is not required in Buddhism. Find your self, soul, yidam and father christmas all dissolving . . . Into Nothing.

Sorry guys, might have to start speaking the Truth if I (or my incarnated soul - try not to laugh) intend to wake from the dreams imposed on us by ignorance, no matter how revered the source . . .
    :wave:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    zenmyste said:

Also My question only arises because if things are 'facts' then that means 'Everyone' - (all religions) would agree with this 'non self'

Most religions don't agree with non-self, so it's quite controversial. :)
    I think the 3 marks of existence are analagous to a scientific theory, we observe carefully and see whether our experience supports the hypothesis.
    lobster
  • zenmyste said:

And if you believe its 'fact' can you share your experience as to when you 'realized' this for 'yourself' !

Is that true? Do all religions agree or is it, like, a buddhist concept which now you believe it is true through your practice in buddhism..

At one time, there is a religion that believed that the earth is flat and the earth is the centre of the Universe. That does not make it a fact.Most probably, even if it is a fact, religions are not obliged to come to an agreement.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2013
    In the heretical path of sufism, I found my 'soul'. It has a paradoxical nature, it exists and has no nature or qualities but it has experiential expression. So one could say it is non existent and present. Which is nonsense but as close as can be said. In a strange way all mystics speak the same language, usually obliquely. Buddhism too addresses and aims for very high states, what in sufism is called fana.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fana_(Sufism)
    In Buddhism meditation leads to the non arising of our lower persona, which begins to dissolve as we recognise its inherent falsity. There are other ways, they have their meditations . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muraqaba

As I said to the Buddha only this morning: 'Are you sure you don't exist?' ;)
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited January 2013
    only the path to awakening can be shared. other peoples personal experiences cant exist in your mind because its a matter of perception.
    Jeffrey
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2013
    All phenomena are as "real" as Dreams, For although they appear they do not truly exist by way of having no established Inherent existence, In Lamrim Meditation we are taught to look for the Truly existent Body, Self, Phenomena when the search is applied with wisdom these objects cannot be found to exist in the way they appear and their appearance to Samsaric being is that of Inherent existence/True existence this is the object of negation, Clinging to the delusion of Self-grasping is what keeps us firmly placed in Samsara.

It is important to note no one disputes the conventionality of the objects themselves simply their mode of existence.

Again all things are like dreams for although they appear they do not truly exist !
    Everything is a combination of things and does not exist by itself as an independent entity. "Sankhara" is a Pali term used for an aggregation, a combination, or an assemblage. The word, is derived from the prefix san meaning "together" and the root kar meaning "to make." The two together mean "made together" or "constructed together" or "combined together." "All things in this world," says the Buddha, "are aggregates or combinations." That is to say, they do not exist by themselves, but are composed of several things. Any one thing, be it a mighty mountain or a minute mustard seed, is a combination of several things. These things are themselves combinations of several other things. Nothing is a unity, nothing is an entity, large or small. Neither is the sun nor moon an entity, nor is the smallest grain of sand an entity. Each of them is a Sankhara, a combination of several things.

Things seem to be entities owing to the fallibility of our senses — our faculties of sight, hearing, touching, smelling and tasting, and even thinking. Science has accepted the position that our senses are not infallible guides to us. A permanent entity is only a concept, only a name. It does not exist in reality.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/gunaratna/wheel102.html

Actions too are compounded - sitting, standing, walking, urinating.
    A simple act of breathing is a combination of in breath, out breath, diaphragmatic and chest movements, chemical sensors in the brain, cellular metabolism etc, etc. Likewise swallowing is also compounded - tongue rolling, pushing the food into the pharynx, food mixing with saliva etc. In other words, all phenomena (actions and objects) are sankharas. Labels do not adequately describe reality! Emptiness is everywhere.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    @Pegembra, I have abusive psychotic voices and it all goes too fast to have the view that they are not entities. It's so hard to make any progress on these ideas. I guess what helps isn't that idea, but rather just say it will get better (and worse) and that these voices are not permanent. It seems that 'impermanent' helps me more than 'non-self'. I think that is true for a lot of people who understand 'this too shall pass' but not 'non-self'. Why is one mark easier to see than the others.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited January 2013
    zenmyste said:

Well, either it is a fact or mysticism is nonsense and ten thousand sages, prophets, holy men and skilled experimenters have been lying for millenia. I prefer to think it is a fact.

It is pretty obvious that not all religions agree that it is a fact that the 'I' is a mental contruction. Many religions place no store in investigating such things, and would regard the consequence of this idea, which would be that 'I am God', just as we all are, as an heretical idea, the work of the devil. For an objective God to which I am subject, as required by most forms of theism, an independent self would be a logical necessity.

Before investigation it will seem obvious that the 'I' of everyday life is 'me' and that 'I think' and that 'I am'. All of the 'wisdom traditions', however, claim that the 'I' is not there when we go looking for it. As these are the only traditions in which people actually investigate these things empirically, it seems safe to assume that no-self is one of Wittgenstein's facts about the universe, a fact of ontology.

No-self is not an especially Buddhist concept, I think, but Buddhism is such a fantastically well-organised religion intellectually, philsophically, didactically and practically that these concepts often seem much more clear here than elsewhere. There is only one mysticism, however, since we're all studying the same phenomenon, and so the same idea is there in Sufism, Theosophy, Kabbalism, Taoism, Seikhism, Vedanta and so forth/ It is bound to be there, since if what is real is a unity, as mysticism claims, then a plurality of independently-existing 'souls' or 'selfs' would clearly be impossible.

Of course the reality of no-self can only be spoken of by people who know it as a fact. The rest of us must take it on trust or suspend judgement. But no-self can be proved in logic, and I don't think it would be necessary to be a buddha to be very sure that it is a fact.
    lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @zenmyste -- Gautama did not say there was "no self." He did say there is no abiding self.

Facts are what anyone might verify. So ... verify it or not, it's no skin off my nose.
    lobster
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited January 2013
    genkaku said:

@zenmyste -- Gautama did not say there was "no self." He did say there is no abiding self.

Omg, forgive my ignorance, but is that what is meant by the 'no self' concept - (no abiding self)

If so, what a silly thing for me to even question!

Of course that is a 'fact' yes!

Like i said, pls everyone excuse my ignorance!
    lobster
  • The skhandas are not the self @zenmyste. The form skhanda is all physical things in the world and your body. That is not you. Same with the mental faculties. At the same time I cannot imagine a being without being able to receive (open) aprehend (clarity) and respond (sensitive) so those three are the heart of man. But just a feeling 'good' or a perception or a citta (compound realm of thinking?) or the overall consciousness (senses and mind and faculties of wisdom),,, that is just events that occur and are not necessarily the fundamental mind.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Um, my sense of selfness' meaning is that there is one collective permanent consciousness-- for now that is as far as my mind can reach. "I" can be part of it, timeless, or "I" can be suffering and impermanent and thus of no part of true selfness.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    impermance is only suffering when you cling to a impermanent thing as permanent. Actually, dude, you are engangered in believing in a collective permanent consciousness. What have you ever known that is permanent? Ever have a loved one die? They are gone from the world of your mind. Yet I do agree that there is an unconditional buddha nature that we need to find. So the problem is to make effort not to cling to things we wish were permanent such as promotions or new hobbies. But yes I agree that there is a buddha mind network, perhaps! We can only see nirmanakaya, but I imagine samboghakaya there is the realization of the true unconditional self.
  • If there is an unconditioned Buddha nature surely it would find us ? Or find itself.

Next time you meditate on the breath try becomng aware that you are being breathed.
    Its just as valid.
  • Yes the buddhanature is also looking for us. ie the universe has a heart rather than just cold dead nothingness. We experience joy and dullness or whatever feeling in response to the universe and it is the good earth to support us. We don't have to get a different universe; this one will do.
  • Jeffrey said:

impermance is only suffering when you cling to a impermanent thing as permanent. Actually, dude, you are engangered in believing in a collective permanent consciousness. What have you ever known that is permanent? Ever have a loved one die? They are gone from the world of your mind. Yet I do agree that there is an unconditional buddha nature that we need to find. So the problem is to make effort not to cling to things we wish were permanent such as promotions or new hobbies. But yes I agree that there is a buddha mind network, perhaps! We can only see nirmanakaya, but I imagine samboghakaya there is the realization of the true unconditional self.

To be honest, I'm absolutely lost when it comes to the concept of self or no-self in Buddhism. I just can't seem to find an explanation or description of it that clicks with me. With that said, the following comment may exist through reason of ignorance. If so, apologies. I'd also appreciate it if someone could take the time to really break it down for me. But anyway, as I was going to say:

It appears to be a universally agreed upon sentiment in Buddhism that clinging and attachment are, for a lack of a better word, "bad" things. Now, for me I don't quite understand what's so wrong with that. I don't see there being anything wrong with attachment....to a point, of course.

The way I see it is that a Buddhist would say, for example, not to grow some sort of attachment to a car, like many people seem to do (including myself) as it's quite obvious (to me at least) that there's a very slim chance you'll have the same car for the entirety of your existence. So with that in mind, I am still somewhat "attached" to my car. I like it, I'm happy when I get to drive it and so on. However, I won't go so far as to literally fall in love with it or something as I know that despite all my efforts, I'm going to lose it some day. When that day comes, I will be disappointed, even sad, but not as much as I would be if I were overly attached to it.

So my question is, what's wrong with attachment as long as you don't take it too far? Sure there will be some suffering of some sort at one point or another, but what you get in suffering you can possibly get even more happiness out of, and once you get past the dissatisfaction of sadness of the loss, you can maybe even look back with fondness, which will maybe squeeze a bit more happiness out of it.

So....yeah. :P
  • 'to a point' is key! if you were unattached you wouldn't be burdened if you lost your car. But there is nothing wrong with appreciating the car, tuning it up, washing it, and detailing it. What people don't get is that Buddhism means what it says. If you have no attachment you can deal with life with meeting it head on. I think I experience this oddly with my mental disability. I fear losing my comfort if I lost social security and my family. So even though I have what I need because I could lose it I still worry and I don't think I deserve it.

One question @Captain_America is if you have tried meditating. All the verbal diarrhea I could spew means nothing compared to trying meditation 30 minutes a day for 6 months. If you haven't done that I challenge you. Ideally you need hints from a teacher. However it is like riding a bike in that nobody can teach you balance and it is possible to learn to ride a bike with no teacher.

So it is 'to a point'. A small letting go gives a small peace and a big letting go gives a big peace.
  • @Captain_America

http://www.byomakusuma.org/Teachings/MarshlandFlowersReader5.aspx?article=117

"What the Buddha taught is a true way to celebrate every moment of your life, not a negation of life.
    You can be swimming in the middle of all the objects of desire and have no attachment or clinging to it and that is true renunciation. However, it must be said that for some people renouncing the objects themselves does help in the real renunciation of the Kama Sankalpa. So, this is a very individual thing.

Actually, if you renounce your Kama Sankalpa towards all objects of the world then you are free to enjoy them without any fear and hope or clinging to them in the hope that it will last; or fear that they might go away. Then we enjoy it while it is there and when it goes away, you enjoy its absence too. This is what the Buddha meant by: When seeing, just the seen; when hearing, just the heard... (drishte drista matram bhavishati, srute..) which is an oft repeated statement in the Zen Buddhist tradition - as when sitting, just the sitting; when walking, just the walking...

Then you are free to enjoy every moment freely without hope and fear (hope that it will last forever or fear that it might go away). And this is the true enjoyment of life (a true celebration of life, of this moment); also called drishta dharma. What the Buddha taught is a true way to celebrate every moment of your life, not a negation of life; a true celebration of what every moment presents, not a negation of what is presented. It is the ordinary mind under the influence of ignorance that negates the moment in front of us in search of our imagined happiness and thus misses out on the real world.

We are constantly hankering after a past memory or an imagined future and continually missing out on the only reality which we have which is the present moment. This constant hankering after memories of the past or craving for an imagined future is what is meant by Kama Sankalpa. This is also called Trisna which means thirsting or craving; and this is the eighth factor in the chain of 12 interdependent origination. (Dwadas nidan). It is that which ties us to samsara which is a synonym for suffering

So what the Buddha taught was not life denial but rather the true way to live life fully with all its richness. If there is outer renunciation of objects, as there is in the Sravaka system, it is always as a means to weaken the Kama Sankalpa and not as a thing to hold on to as something great in itself; not something to glorify. If that happens, then the renunciation of the outer worldly objects itself becomes an object of Kama Sankalpa. In that case, it defeats the purpose and just becomes another source of further clinging. Thus the act of renunciation gets glorified and used as a means of boosting one's ego.

This does not mean you stop renouncing. Now you renounce even the renunciation. One still continues to live one's life as a renunciant. In the process of explaining kama sankalpa we touched upon the chain of 12 interdependent origination. We will have to deal with that later as that is crucial to the understanding of Buddhism. Now let us move on to the third type of suffering."
    JeffreyrobotFlorian
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

To my somewhat weird-to-mankind perspective, consciousness is non-physical, and not constrained by normal bounds of mentality limits. BTW, I too have a mental disability, but use it to stretch my part of the universal consciousness if I can.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey said:

To be honest, I'm absolutely lost when it comes to the concept of self or no-self in Buddhism. I just can't seem to find an explanation or description of it that clicks with me. With that said, the following comment may exist through reason of ignorance. If so, apologies. I'd also appreciate it if someone could take the time to really break it down for me.
    As Jeffrey eludes, no-self can be experience in a meditative state, when the area of the brain responsible for a sense of self is quieted (for a small measure of time). Other than that, no-self is no different than anything else, in being impermanent, at least in experience or appearance.
  • zenmyste said:

If someone treats Buddhism as facts, they would be more happy than lost IMO.

• Jeffrey said:

@Pegembra, I have abusive psychotic voices and it all goes too fast to have the view that they are not entities. It's so hard to make any progress on these ideas. I guess what helps isn't that idea, but rather just say it will get better (and worse) and that these voices are not permanent. It seems that 'impermanent' helps me more than 'non-self'. I think that is true for a lot of people who understand 'this too shall pass' but not 'non-self'. Why is one mark easier to see than the others.

You are not alone in finding that anicca is easier.

"Friends, even though a noble disciple has abandoned the five lower fetters, he still has with regard to the five clinging-aggregates a lingering residual 'I am' conceit, an 'I am' desire, an 'I am' obsession. But at a later time he keeps focusing on the phenomena of arising & passing away with regard to the five clinging-aggregates: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance. Such is feeling... Such is perception... Such are fabrications... Such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' As he keeps focusing on the arising & passing away of these five clinging-aggregates, the lingering residual 'I am' conceit, 'I am' desire, 'I am' obsession is fully obliterated.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.089.than.html
    Jeffrey
  • Perhaps I can come up with an analogy to explain the differences between facts, teachings, and direct experience that would help to clarify. Maybe not. :)

Imagine you would like to know if you could get to Burlington by taking Highway 61 (a fact.)

So you get a map (Buddhism) that shows yes Burlington is on Highway 61.

But you still have not gone to Burlington via Highway 61. What good is this knowledge about what route to take unless you actually make the trip?

The 3 marks of existence, anicca-dukkha-anatta, are the way things are. More importantly, Insights into the impermanent, unsatisfactory, and selflessness of all phenomena (including the aggregates) leads to freedom. A meditation practice is required. When you understand the way it is, rather than the way you wish it were, you stop clinging.

Best Wishes
    JeffreylobsterStraight_Man
  • Thanks Taiyaki. Nice post.