Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being a Hindu and a Buddhist?

2»

Comments

• @ absolute
    It seems that all major "religions" that have their origin in India have "kamma-vipaka" (action and its fruit) as an important aspect. Sometimes, I have this idea that "kamma-vipaka" is indeed the "creator" god - that everything is conditioned by ones actions (words-deeds-thoughts).
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    @vinlyn

I think your missing the point. Caz isn't saying your views are wrong or ignorant, your entitled to your own beliefs, but your on a Buddhist site and some ideals from other religions contradict what the Buddha taught e.g. devotion to an eternal creator god(s)/unchanging soul. You can say you practice Buddhism and any other religion but, when practicing "Buddhist right view" and elimination of desire(among other things), when you desire to worship an everlasting god(s) it pushes the purpose of Buddhism to the side.

Now imo it be best to say one is a Muslim,Hindu,Christian,ect that practices Buddhist ethics/concentration/whatever aspect but imo you cant give your heart to both and say you are both. If you want to progress down a Buddhist path eventually you will have to abandon a number of things, other religious views being one.
    lobsterStraight_Man
  • DaftChris said:

There are a ton of threads about "Can I be a Buddhist and a Christian/Muslim/etc." and, of course, it is entirely possible.

However, what about being a Hindu and a Buddhist? It may seem like an obvious answer of "yes", but there are many similarities between the two. So much to the point that many beliefs and ideas overlap one another (karma, rebirth, consciousness, etc.). Also, at least in my experience, many Hindus don't like Buddhists.

Don't know much about Hinduism but I probably have heard this somewhere - that when Buddha preached, he used the common terms prevalent at that time. Karma is one such terms. Karma in Buddhism is probably different from the Karma from Hinduism. The difference could even be subtle.
  • Takuan - Agree entirely.

DaftChris - I think your most recent quote above is telling. Most opposition to Hinduism within Buddhism seees to be based on narrow (usually theistic) interpretations of the former. This is not necessary. It would be easy to see the two as teaching the same truth and a similar method for discovering it. Of course, there are many different kinds of Buddhists and Hindus and much disagreement between them, but it is not difficult to reconcile the two religions, and when we do I would sugest that we have interpreted their scriptures correctly.

If they are inconsistent, such that we cannot find the same truth in both of them, then it becomes very difficult to explain how they can be so similar, or how the writers of the late vedas could know so much but still get it all wrong.

The relationship between the two Brahmans and Atman/atman is enough on its own, it seems to me, to show that both religions are teaching the same message, just as both use God-talk as a way into hearts and minds.

As Tukaun says, it is nonduality that is the issue. All religions or wisdom tradtions that teach this are going to be fundamentally equivalent however much their practices, traditions, rituals, language, practices etc. may vary.

I feel that the best way to syncretise religions is to study their metaphysics. Then we do not get distracted by superficial differences. Any religion teaching nonduality will have the same metaphysical foundation, and will suffer the same misunderstandings due to the difficulty of putting this teaching into words.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    absolute said:

but you know buddhist don't believe in any soul and creator of all everything right. however buddhism and hindiusm are believe in karma samsara and to do meditate and lots of similarity words have in both religion , but their fundamental are very different from each other you know soul creator and etc. in fact buddhism have deities and devas but they are not ultimate person or existence according to the buddhism all 6 kind existence are circle each other in samsara right

You cannot say what all Buddhists believe.