Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan Buddhism

trendybuddhatrendybuddha Explorer
edited February 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I have been a diamond way buddhist for some time, I don't want to start a huge discussion about that group. But I am now looking for something else, as I found that it was really not my cup of tea. I loved doing ngöndro though, so I want to practise that. I am wondering if generally people do not recommend tibetan buddhism? I read a discussion here where there were so much back and forth on abuse etc... my view is though that in any religion there will be abuse, because people are people. And they do bad things.

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Each to their own. What do you want ?
    Tosh
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I practice Tibetan Buddhism. You are right, there are bad people in pretty much every area of life. No sect of Buddhism is immune to it. As long as you are not abusing anyone, or being abused by a teacher or protecting someone who his being abusive, then I don't see why there should be a problem with Tibetan Buddhism. It is still valid regardless of some bad apples. If it is what speaks to you, then practice it. Or, practice it some to learn whether it is what is right for you. It happens to be right for me and many others.
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • trendybuddhatrendybuddha Explorer
    edited February 2013
    I have found a new group I think I might be very comfortable practising with, but I don't want to be someone who excuses abuse or anything like that. I just want to practise ngöndro, and try to be a better human-being. But I think it is hard to close my eyes if I notice that there might be something not right going on. I think this group has a woman as one of their most important advisors. I am a person who gets lots of energy if I am in a good buddhist group, I think I would really grow and learn a lot from it. I am also very eager on ngöndro, so the ngöndro thing is really important to me.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

I have been a diamond way buddhist for some time, I don't want to start a huge discussion about that group. But I am now looking for something else, as I found that it was really not my cup of tea. I loved doing ngöndro though, so I want to practise that. I am wondering if generally people do not recommend tibetan buddhism? I read a discussion here where there were so much back and forth on abuse etc... my view is though that in any religion there will be abuse, because people are people. And they do bad things.

Tibetan Buddhism as far as I can tell is the most popular type of buddhism in the USA due to the Dalai Lama and famous people. I'm not sure even myself as a Theravadan who does look at TB with wonder sometimes and say.. what?, would go so far as to NOT recommend it for some people.

The Buddha talked about even the dhamma itself being a raft that, once you cross the stream of samsara and reach the far shore(Nibbana), you don't pick up the raft and carry it, you leave it there. The different schools are just rafts to eventually be dumped on the far shore anyways, find what works for you and stick with it.
    BunksInvincible_summerInc88Sile
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The only way to really find a teacher/group that will work for you is to try them out. I only have one choice, but it turned out that choice was perfect for my needs and is a splendid addition to my practice and my life. My teacher is the spiritual advisor of a rather small sangha. There are many 50 different members in 3 different cities that he works with. He operates out of his apartment. He is a terrific teacher and does not get caught up in politics and other such things.

I don't see how you practicing what works for you, is excusing or supporting abuse. Unless you are sending money and resources to those who abuse, or purposely ignoring something you could do something about, then it should not be a problem. We do what we can to have an effect on the bad in the world, but we cannot do so in all cases. You can find bad things in the world no matter what branch of what religion you choose to follow. I find Buddhism nice in the way that you are not supporting something larger. When I choose to donate, the money goes to help my teacher, and I cam comfortable with where the money goes. As opposed to how I felt when I used to attend church and was demanded to give a certain % of my money to support the church and it's missions without knowing where that money went entirely.

In the end, the question is, is what you choose helping you to become a better person, and thus positively influencing the world around you? If yes, then I say that is what you should do. If we cannot have a positive impact on the people and the world immediately around us, we cannot cause it to spread further. Buddhism, for me, is not something to keep to oneself, but something you practice and in effect share with the world around you as a result of that practice. That is why I like Tibetan Buddhism more than many others, because it encourages that rather that focusing solely on yourself.
    trendybuddha
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I also practice Tibetan Buddhism, aka Mahayana. I love it. I would definitely say there are bad people in every religion, and sect. but it's not about who is abusing it, it is about what you think about the practices, and beliefs. If the practices and beliefs fit your preference, then go for it. :)
  • It sounds like you enjoy ngondro. So if there is no abuse in the center you visited sounds like it is a good fit for your practice. If there is abuse I would not go to that center at all.
  • If this is the Buddhist tradition that interests you, then you should continue to explore it. All groups will have their good and bad apples. I don't view it as something you need to be paranoid about, you just have to use common sense and realize that teachers are human too and therefore not infallible. If you can keep that in mind, then you should be able to keep yourself out of trouble.
  • I practice Tibetian Buddhism as well.

Check out Reggie Ray. I enjoy him as a teacher because he teaches the essence of Tibetian Buddhism in a modern context.

And he brings it all back to ones own practice and unfolding as the human spiritual journey.

I practice not to wear another set of clothing. I desire to be happy and useful to those around me. And I treasure this life I have. No time for any other bs.

So maybe Reggie Ray may sync with you. Maybe not. Either way shop around for an authentic lineage that speaks to you.
  • Follow the well known Hindu heretic, Shakyamuni (the Buddha previously known as Prince).

When practicing, you are the Buddha (just snoozing), you are the Sangha (community of internal facets of Buddhist Self) and you are the source of inspiration (dharma).
    Practice in all the realms of being with the three jewels and the lama will emerge . . . and guess who it will be . . . You!
    howBunksInvincible_summerNirvana
  • I really believe in following your gut; and I also, personally, believe in praying/sending energy/making aspirations to find the right school or center, and then seeking with an open heart.

There are millions of happy practitioners in every possible school and sect; the key is to find what's right for you. Of course you may be limited to what is in your own area; just go to teachings, talk to students, and see what feels right. Usually (in my experience) one will kind of jump out at you.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran

I am wondering if generally people do not recommend tibetan buddhism?

A few months ago and I would not have recommended TB myself but times change, stuff happens and karma accumulates. The public perception of a school often has no bearing on whether it is right for you or not. I have followed a couple of groups which have spotless reputations and yet contain people with whom I would have been ashamed to share a species. They probably taught me more than the nicest teachers could have but being around them was not conducive to practice. I am now following a group with a "dodgy" reputation but which contains some really good, genuine teachers and people in general.

I think the problem is, for me at least, the ego thing. I am not an egoless, perfect being and so in order to practice effectively I have to be around people who are going to support my practice or at least not cause me to falter. Until we manage to get some serious realizations under our belts I suspect it is the same for everyone so look around, we have more centres and teachers than we have ever had, in person, on the net and in books. Finding a group where you can practice calmly and diligently seems to be more important than whether they do this or that specific practice. I don't know of any group that would object to you carrying on with your Ngondro if you already have the necessary permissions and teachings to start.
    lobsterSileBunks
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    @TheEccentric if you don't trust the Dalai Lama I recommend reading the Wisdom of Forgiveness. The Dalai Lama is a motivational figure to me.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Why do we expect teachers to transcend their own failings any better than we do.
    Trying to straddle the spiritual/ political divide like the pope or DL has, seems like a job that would display few of us in a favourable light, given the expectations and scrutiny that I read about here.
    I see them as little more than the enertia of the organizations that spawned them.

Scapegoats for the critical, deities for the spiritually myopic or just beings dealing with the cards they've been dealt with..

Those people defaming the DL usually sound like folks who just don't know themselves or their own particular teacher well enough.
    MaryAnneCoryInvincible_summerlobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Tibet was a medieval society full of abuses. If Westerners didn't cling to a romanticized, child-like vision of Tibet and a fairyland Shangri-la, this news wouldn't be so controversial. Besides, it's not as if the DL's were the only ones who wielded any power and who might overdo it at times. Abbots, lamas, tulkus, and landowners/serf-owners were all part of the power structure. All sects, including NKT, have their scandals. So what else is new?

Back to the OP's concern, I don't think the fact that there are abuses necessarily means anything for her specific center. All it means is that it's helpful to keep a good ear to the ground, and not suspend one's critical thinking skills entirely. Even the DL says to spend years checking out teachers before you hand over your trust completely. But for beginners' study, it shouldn't be difficult to find a decent group.
    Invincible_summerPatr
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I studied Tibetan Buddhism for about a year before deciding that it wasn't for me. Nothing wrong with it; it just doesn't resonate with me. Honestly, I'm probably more in tune with Theravada or a Mahayana sect. If wants wants to practice this type of Buddhism, I'm not going to stop them.

If one finds wisdom in TB, who am I to discourage them from their journey or practice?
    Invincible_summer
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I studied Tibetan Buddhism for about a year before deciding that it wasn't for me. Nothing wrong with it; it just doesn't resonate with me. Honestly, I'm probably more in tune with Theravada or a Mahayana sect. If wants wants to practice this type of Buddhism, I'm not going to stop them.

If one finds wisdom in TB, who am I to discourage them from their journey or practice?
    TheEccentricInvincible_summer
  • Tibetan Buddhism also includes mahayana sanghas such as mine.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Pejorative and off-topic posts removed.

This is a discussion on Tibetan Buddhism, not a platform for broadcasting inappropriate negative political judgements.

Feel free to create a thread, if you deem it appropriate.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    We have a poet among us. Sometimes he doesn't quite stick to the topic, though who cares?
    lobster said:

Follow the well known Hindu heretic, Shakyamuni (the Buddha previously known as Prince).

When practicing, you are the Buddha (just snoozing), you are the Sangha (community of internal facets of Buddhist Self) and you are the source of inspiration (dharma).
    Practice in all the realms of being with the three jewels and the lama will emerge . . . and guess who it will be . . . You!

Thanks, @lobster (previously known as Prince)?
  • how said:

Why do we expect teachers to transcend their own failings any better than we do.

Because they're spiritual leaders and have devoted themselves to the spiritual life, so they're held to a higher standard than mundane leaders. But in the US we even expect political leaders to maintain some decency, so why not those who are believed to be devoted to ethics and spiritual values as a way of life?

Patr
    edited February 2013
    Dakini said:

Because they're spiritual leaders and have devoted themselves to the spiritual life, so they're held to a higher standard...

Wouldn't you think????
    However, once people get privileges, unless held in check by a scrupulous examination of conscience daily (which the religious need to do), corruption sets in.

Perhaps a New Monasticism is needed that doesn't force people intent on the monastic vocation to be the asexual creatures they cannot truly be. If it's on the mind, one is not abstaining. And if one is not "abstaining," then how in the heck can you go to an aloof superior monk for counsel? I know of a pdf publication by that above-cited name which I believe was published some months ago in AMERICA magazine. It is written by Rory McEntee and Adam Bucko.

I think the higher standard should be primarily about truthfulness and integrity. Keeping pure and undefiled by the world entirely is perhaps setting ones mark too high, even for the severely introverted hermit.

• Well, some married clergy and monks, both Eastern and Western, still get carried away with the easy pickings among their "flock". I think there needs to be more accountability built into the system at all levels.
    edited February 2013
    Well I'm not a purist like some.
    Society, taken too seriously, can be viewed by a true Lover as an organized band of plotters trying to bore people to death.

Whether secular or religious, when sexual instincts are at work, everyone has a cross to bear when it comes to doing the "correct thing" all the time. These sexual instincts are very strong and are very deeply encoded in our whole being in sundry ways; these encodings or "surges" are put there biologically to preserve the species by reproductive activity. Nature is prodigiously wasteful: just look at the superabundant production of substances in the body —substances that will never even be used. That's the way nature is and that's the way with sex. (Sects {no distinct diff in pronunciation}, on the other hand, are very stingy. ¶ Which causes more mischief? —who can say? But humanity can get by without sects, I am sure.)

Now, mind you, when the unrealistic expectations that societies forge cause people to cover up their true natures, I don't look for truthfulness or real compassion to superabound, either. "Building more accountability into the system at all levels" is such a nice businesslike approach to the usual bullshit about telling ourselves that purity of heart is all about sexual purity and some almost bland holiness that is completely detached from the warmth of an intimate encounter with a lovely person. I really wonder that maybe all the systems that include abstaining from sex are based on maintaining centralization of power —from today's nuclear family, to the monastic communities, and including the parish churches from medieval times onward.

How much does "society" depend on all these claims (such as total monogamy) we put on each other? The fault, I think, lies in ourselves. We're too afraid to step out of ourselves and be ourselves and too quick to condemn others who don't follow the rules we've been loyal to "all these years." —"How Dare THEY?"
  • I am wondering if generally people do not recommend tibetan buddhism?
    Western Vajrayana will be awesome. As an operative alchemist and heretic daka and Buddha in the next few months, I would recommend Buddhism in practice, not culture. Culture is dependent on environment.
    Carry on with Ngöndro, carry on with the path, one day you will be giving advice . . . And if it is good, good will come of it . . .

Good Luck :clap:
    Nirvana