Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So many stories and so much drama

One of the things that attracted me to Buddhism is the simplicity of the teachings and the lack of strict dogma and blind faith. However, the more I learn about world Buddhism, the more my head is filled with the complicated stories that ask for blind faith, the internal fighting and scandals, the tragedies of institutionalization-- the ugly human complexities that I believed the teachings should move us through. I am struggling with these realizations, especially in the light of where these complexities stem from-- the holders of what is thought to be pure, traditional Buddhism. These things are precisely the things that have kept me from accepting Christianity into my life.

Without going into great detail about the many specifics of what I'm referring to, for the sake of right speech, I want to reject all of the human complexities tied into traditions and go straight for the heart of Buddha's teachings, because I feel that the heart of the teachings rejects these stories made by human tradition since the Buddha left the earth. To me, it seems that those things held on blind faith (accepted by many because "it is the way it is"), those things that are prescribed by someone who is supposedly the Dharma holder, goes against the teaching that we should reflect the lesson within ourselves, test it out, and see for ourselves if it is true. Furthermore, it seems to me that part of meditation is to cut through the stories that we tell ourselves to reveal the "truth". But when I look at the ancient traditions in so many cultures, all I see are stories.

It seems that the more I know, the more confused I get about whether or not I am actually Buddhist.

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I like to KISS

" keep it simple stupid"

the further you get away from the original teachings the more complicated they become and for me personally seem much more disconnected from what I see as the original message.

Never confuse cultural practices.. and "cultural buddhism" with what the Buddha taught. Even in Theravada, which is considered the closest to the original teachings, the most "orthodox" , there are cultural influences that don't quite make much sense to me.

If you want what is considered the "true words of the Buddha" you need not look further then the 4 Nikayas(collections of Suttas from the Tipitaka). This is what Bhante G teaches at Bhavana Society and only from these. He practices and teaches directly from the "words of the buddha".

Digha Nikaya (Long Discourses of the Buddha)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/index.html

Majjhima Nikaya ( Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/index.html

Samyutta Nikaya ( Connected Discourses of the Buddha)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/index.html

Anguttara Nikaya ( Numerical Discourses of the Buddha)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/index.html

also.. humans are humans, regardless of what they call themselves, they, like all beings, are immersed in attachment, aversion, and ignorance and they float in Samsara going from life to life. Don't expect humans to be anything other then what they are :)
    chela
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    well, i am not a Buddhist, rather i am Hindu.

till now, i have not bought a single book on Buddha's teachings, rather for the last 1.5 years, whatever i have read about Buddha's teachings is through online internet available free pdf files on various sites. there is no buddhist monastry near my official workplace and neither do i have time to find and go to a buddhist monastry. so you can consider that i am not a buddhist from any angle.

From the last 1.5 years till now, i have studied about what Buddha taught about these things - 4 noble truths, 3 characteristics of anicca, dukkha and anatta, 12 links of dependent origination, 8-fold path - which i think is enough to know and practice. so till now, i have not tried to find the various lines of Buddhism and i think going forward also, i will not try to find about the teachings of the various schools of Buddhism. even though, i have been reading the teachings of Ajahn Chah and listening the dhamma talks given by Ajahn Brahm.

i think just staying with the basic teachings of Buddha and trying to practice it shall be enough. like understanding a statement taught by Buddha that - 'all conditioned things are impermanent, unsatisfactory and non-self, rather all conditioned phenomena arises due to its conditions arising and ceases due to its conditions ceasing'. if we can practically see this statement inside us in meditation, i think it shall be enough.

but since i am nowhere in my meditation experience, also whatever i have said above is based on my theoretical understanding, also since i am not a Buddhist, so if you find my above statements not making any sense, then please feel free to consider me a complete idiot and also please feel free to ignore the above statements.

• but since i am nowhere in my meditation experience, also whatever i have said above is based on my theoretical understanding, also since i am not a Buddhist, so if you find my above statements not making any sense, then please feel free to consider me a complete idiot and also please feel free to ignore the above statements.

Your statements make perfect sense, and seem to be in line with what the others have said thus far. Also, I am meditating daily, yet feel as though I have very little meditation experience (as far as meditation having changed anything in me, other than I am a little calmer and less reactive). I am also processing Buddha's teachings from a mostly theoretical understanding, plus a little of what "just feels right" (my heart, I suppose).

just an addition with some specific suttas backing up what others have said about the basics(4nT, Noble 8fold path, dependent origination etc), Important Suttas for learning the basic unfettered teaching -

The first Sermon - Setting the wheel of Dhamma in motion - One of the most important Suttas to learn the basics of the Buddha's teaching(if you want to look at alternate translations the different author links are up top)-

"Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting the Wheel of Dhamma in Motion "
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.than.html

Noble Eightfold Path explained further -

"Magga-vibhanga Sutta: An Analysis of the Path "
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.008.than.html

Dependent Arising -

"Maha-nidana Sutta: The Great Causes Discourse"
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.15.0.than.html

many of these are quite long and complicated, don't feel bad if You can only read them in small doses. the Suttas are written words left over from an oral tradition so for us to read them today can be daunting. Take your take, read as much as you want, and take it in.
  • Thank you very much, @Jayantha. I suppose it may be beneficial that I am an English major and am used to reading difficult texts and spending a lot of time chewing on them.
    BhikkhuJayasara
    chela said:

Thank you very much, @Jayantha. I suppose it may be beneficial that I am an English major and am used to reading difficult texts and spending a lot of time chewing on them.

seems like you are ready for the Suttas then! the largest complaint of the Suttas is really the repetition, but again thats a left over from the oral tradition to help people remember, it sure does that.
    chela
  • Thank you for giving me confidence that it really can be so simple and drama-free. :om:
    chela said:

Thank you for giving me confidence that it really can be so simple and drama-free. :om:

In the Sangha hall(community meeting place) at Bhavana Society there is a plaque on the wall that says " More Dhamma, less Drama"... That always sticks with me as a reminder :).

chela
  • The only true story is the sense of dissatisfaction can be overcome. There is a way for us.

It is rare for people to examine, acknowledge and overcome. Some people, many here, are dedicating their efforts to the process. They can attain. Sincere perseverance or fantasy Buddhism? Our choice. :wave:
    howchela
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited February 2013
    chela said:

One of the things that attracted me to Buddhism is the simplicity of the teachings and the lack of strict dogma and blind faith. However, the more I learn about world Buddhism, the more my head is filled with the complicated stories that ask for blind faith, the internal fighting and scandals, the tragedies of institutionalization-- the ugly human complexities that I believed the teachings should move us through. I am struggling with these realizations, especially in the light of where these complexities stem from-- the holders of what is thought to be pure, traditional Buddhism. These things are precisely the things that have kept me from accepting Christianity into my life.

Without going into great detail about the many specifics of what I'm referring to, for the sake of right speech, I want to reject all of the human complexities tied into traditions and go straight for the heart of Buddha's teachings, because I feel that the heart of the teachings rejects these stories made by human tradition since the Buddha left the earth. To me, it seems that those things held on blind faith (accepted by many because "it is the way it is"), those things that are prescribed by someone who is supposedly the Dharma holder, goes against the teaching that we should reflect the lesson within ourselves, test it out, and see for ourselves if it is true. Furthermore, it seems to me that part of meditation is to cut through the stories that we tell ourselves to reveal the "truth". But when I look at the ancient traditions in so many cultures, all I see are stories.

It seems that the more I know, the more confused I get about whether or not I am actually Buddhist.

If I am not mistaken, Buddhism should be about accepting what you think is right after investigating and rejecting what is wrong after investigating. When you can't investigate, just take what works for you. It is just like picking the blooms from the garden. You just take your pick. If you are going to scrutinize every detail, your head will spin sometimes especially if it is not build to do the scrutiny work. In any case, don't worry so much about accepting Buddhism. Accept yourself!
    chela