Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thich Nhat Hanh's critique of scripture based practice

"Insight can’t be found in sutras, commentaries, verbal expression, or —isms. Liberation and awakened understanding can’t be found by devoting ourselves to the study of the Buddhist scriptures. This is like trying to find fresh water in dry bones. Returning to the present moment, using our clear mind which exists right here and now, we can be in touch with liberation and enlightenment, as well as with the Buddha and the patriarchs as living realities right in this moment."

- Thich Nhat Hanh, “Simply Stop”
ZeroStraight_Man

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Nothing wrong with reading suttas or different Buddhists texts but I agree with Thich Nhat Hanh's assessment. Nice post :thumbsup:
    Wisdom23
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Eh, I understand where he is coming from, but I think reading the Suttras, while not technically needed, can be beneficial to ones insight and practice.

To me, the 3 biggest components for Buddhist practice, or any practice for that matter, are: 1.) Knoweldge (whether through scripture or experience), 2.) Compassion and 3.) Meditation.

Just my 2 cents. Now I'm broke. :p
    JeffreyriverflowlobsterMaryAnne
  • Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, 'Every thing is medial.' This really resonates with me and I think sheds some light on upaya (skilful means)--there is no final resting point where one can say 'I have arrived'--if we think we have 'arrived' then that is just more clinging. The reading the sutras and all other practices have instrumental value--anything less would be to stop and cling to that: even awakening is not 'attained.' Even emptiness is empty.

I forget in which koan it is where the mind 'drops away' but then 'dropping away' must also be dropped too! And so this is true not only of the sutras but of any Buddhist practice. They point the way only.

With unintended irony, here's a passage from the Vimalakirti Sutra (translated here by Burton Watson):
    [The sutras] teach one to rely on meaning, not on words; to rely on wisdom, not on consciouness; to rely on sutras that are complete in meaning, not on those that are incomplete in meaning; to rely on the Law [the Dharma], not on the person; to go along with the true form of things, realizing that there is no entering in and no destination.
    But none of this contradicts what Thich Nhat Hanh says, either. Insight cannot be found in sutras or any writings at all. At best, they are aids, which may be of greater or lesser use, depending on the person, depending on the situation.

To use a musical analogy: If you want to be a classical pianist, knowing music theory is important to know and understand--it helps in interpretation and performance to understand why a composition is composed the way it is--there is a logical, but creative, structure. Music theory has its use. However, you can study music theory till you are blue in the face--it won't make you a Glenn Gould or a Rubenstein!
    Glowlobsterchela
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Insight is not in the words we like or expect from celebrity Buddhists, it is in hydrating their platitudes with water of our innate wisdom. Insight does not come from Pavlonian mindfulness balls, bells or whistles. Not from quoting, not from chanting, not from following, not from meditating daily and twice on fundays. One day you will be a patriarch Buddha, perfect and flawless, listening and practising and no longer jabbering until your bones dry. You will read the road of others, like your own path. A child will be like a zen master. A sutra like clarity. A platitude will make you chant out loud, like a mindless drone and you will be silenced by your own arising. Expect nothing, everything awaits.

Number Six: Has it ever occurred to you that you are just as much a prisoner as I am?
    Number Two: Oh my dear chap, of course--I know too much. We're both lifers. Number Two: I am definitely an optimist. That's why it doesn't matter "who" Number One is. It doesn't matter which "side" runs the Village.
    Number Six: It's run by one side or the other.
    Number Two: Oh certainly, but both sides are becoming identical. What in fact has been created is an international community--perfect blueprint for world order. When the sides facing each other suddenly realize that they're looking into a mirror, they will see that "this" is the pattern for the future.
    Number Six: The whole Earth as the Village?
    Number Two: That is my hope. What's yours?
    Number Six: I'd like to be the first man on the moon.

And now back to the plum Village
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Prisoner
    riverflow
  • TNH is a very wise man and he is 100% correct in this quote.
    Some think being a Buddhist consists of nothing more than parroting a few quotes and spouting incomprehensible jargon to show off their superior knowledge.
    The heart should be your ultimate guide.
    Lucy_BegoodchelaMaryAnneTheswingisyellow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

"Insight can’t be found in sutras, commentaries, verbal expression, or —isms. Liberation and awakened understanding can’t be found by devoting ourselves to the study of the Buddhist scriptures. This is like trying to find fresh water in dry bones. Returning to the present moment, using our clear mind which exists right here and now, we can be in touch with liberation and enlightenment, as well as with the Buddha and the patriarchs as living realities right in this moment."

Sure, insight results from practice in the here and now, but those practices are described in the suttas. An obvious example is mindfulness based on the 4 foundations described in the Satipattthana Sutta, and mindfulness is something TNH places great emphasis on.

And of course TNH has written a number of commentaries on the suttas and sutras, which suggests he feels they are important and relevant.

;)
    poptart said:

Some think being a Buddhist consists of nothing more than parroting a few quotes and spouting incomprehensible jargon to show off their superior knowledge.

Hmmm. I'd rather listen to sutta quotes than misguided personal opinions.
    :p
    lobsterBhanteLuckyInvincible_summer

• Hmmm. I'd rather listen to sutta quotes than misguided personal opinions.

No, you'd rather pick fights on a forum than tolerate a differing opinion.
    Why should that be, I wonder.
    Invincible_summer
  • Insight can occur without the sutras. All the answers are already inside us. The problem is seeing what is inside clearly. The sutras are just the tools to help see clearly. So if everything is already clear, there is no need for the sutras.
    Like everyone stated, (sole reliance on) sutras without practice will get you nowhere. However, insight through practice without sutras, is possible.
    I think it is close to impossible to read and retain the thousands of sutras - so even with a subset (even just a few basics - even just the 4NT and 8FP), insight can be attained.
    It's what you emanate from the inside, rather than absorb externally, right?
    riverflow
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Look, how many of you would have progressed on this path, if you had not read any books or scriptures? A show of hands please.

Now, how many of you would not have practised anything like the Buddha's Dharma, if you had not read any books or scriptures? Hands up kids, how many?

There, I think that's settled; To follow the path requires personal practise, AND some kind of study. Or lacking a scripture or book, even better that you have a teacher who knows.

Enough of this 100% malarkey.
    Invincible_summer
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited February 2013
    But TNH doesn't say not to read them. He says, . Liberation and awakened understanding can’t be found by devoting ourselves to the study of the Buddhist scriptures
    Once we learn how to see reality as it is, why study the method further?
    riverflowpegembaraInvincible_summer
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited February 2013
    The only time I read Buddhist 'scriptures' is when I read the cut n pasted scriptures people post from time to time in this forum.
    And to be honest, if it's more than a good 2 paragraphs long, I don't read it all. Why? Because I find it more profound, more applicable, more meaningful to speak of the principles, teachings and ideals of Buddhism (or ANY spiritual path or philosophy), in our own current everyday language, because we are living in the current everyday world as it is now.
    Now that's only me...
    I'm not saying the suttas and other scriptures are 'useless' or whatever, only that for me, they are The Basics (the Precepts, the 8 Fold Path, & the 4 Noble Truths) all dressed up in their Sunday-Go-To-Church Best... but the reality is, one can be a 'good Buddhist' without the shiny shoes and embellishing extras.

Another way to put it, would be like trying to teach an American French Cooking, but only using the French language, when in reality, teaching them French cooking in English will do the job a thousand times better.

Edited to add: Ha! Just noticed the other cooking/cookbook analogies mentioned above... Is everyone as hungry as I am right now? LOL
    lobster
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Gui said:

But TNH doesn't say not to read them. He says, . Liberation and awakened understanding can’t be found by devoting ourselves to the study of the Buddhist scriptures
    Once we learn how to see reality as it is, why study the method further?

Sweet. As long as that attitude doesn't mutate into an anti-intellectual attitude of: "reading is useless and pointless, just follow what's inside of you naturally".
    Maybe one in a million could do that, but the rest of us need a little guidance.
    GlowInvincible_summerlobster
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Maybe when Thich Nhat Hanh wrote that he had this in mind:

"The nun Wu Jincang asked the Sixth Patriach Huineng, "I have studied the Mahaparinirvana sutra for many years, yet there are many areas i do not quite understand. Please enlighten me."

The patriach responded, "I am illiterate. Please read out the characters to me and perhaps I will be able to explain the meaning."

Said the nun, "You cannot even recognize the characters. How are you able then to understand the meaning?"

"Truth has nothing to do with words. Truth can be likened to the bright moon in the sky. Words, in this case, can be likened to a finger. The finger can point to the moon’s location. However, the finger is not the moon. To look at the moon, it is necessary to gaze beyond the finger, right?"
    http://www.myrkothum.com/the-meaning-of-the-finger-pointing-to-the-moon/
    JeffreyriverflowInvincible_summer
  • poptart said:

"misguided" is often subjective and open to interpretation, isn't it?
    Invincible_summer
    Good points @Glow
  • One Who Dwells in the Dhamma

"Monk, there is the case where a monk studies the Dhamma: dialogues, narratives of mixed prose and verse, explanations, verses, spontaneous exclamations, quotations, birth stories, amazing events, question & answer sessions.[1] He spends the day in Dhamma-study. He neglects seclusion. He doesn't commit himself to internal tranquillity of awareness. This is called a monk who is keen on study, not one who dwells in the Dhamma.

"Then there is the case where a monk studies the Dhamma: dialogues, narratives of mixed prose and verse, explanations, verses, spontaneous exclamations, quotations, birth stories, amazing events, question & answer sessions. He doesn't spend the day in Dhamma-study. He doesn't neglect seclusion. He commits himself to internal tranquillity of awareness. This is called a monk who dwells in the Dhamma.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.073.than.html

BhikkhuJayasaraInvincible_summerBhanteLucky
    MaryAnne said:

poptart said:

Yes, of course. By misguided here I mean personal opinions about Buddhism which are not grounded in an understanding of Buddhist teachings. And reading the suttas and sutras is a good way to develop that understanding.
    BhanteLucky
    MaryAnne said:

Because I find it more profound, more applicable, more meaningful to speak of the principles, teachings and ideals of Buddhism (or ANY spiritual path or philosophy), in our own current everyday language, because we are living in the current everyday world as it is now.

OK, but where do you obtain your understanding of these principles?
    Daiva said:

It's what you emanate from the inside, rather than absorb externally, right?

It's both really.

Sweet. As long as that attitude doesn't mutate into an anti-intellectual attitude of: "reading is useless and pointless, just follow what's inside of you naturally".

Absolutely. And according to Buddhist teaching we're all deluded anyway.

;)

• And according to Buddhist teaching we're all deluded anyway.

;)

Some more than others, apparently. :p
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Another way to put it, would be like trying to teach an American French Cooking, but only using the French language, when in reality, teaching them French cooking in English will do the job a thousand times better.
    The sutra language is out dated and many hallowed doctrines are neither applicable or skilful. However few of us are in a position to update or differentiate. Fortunately as the dharma moves and integrates with new cultures, we shall enjoy these adaptions, original styles and hopefully improvements. The value of diversity is cajun dharma . . . :clap:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

That's a quite traditional zen view. Zen Masters have been saying things like that for eons. Zen scriptures, like the Lankavatara Sutra, The Platform Sutra, etc. even say the same thing, ha!

riverflowInvincible_summer
  • Jeffrey said:

What good is sutras then, I wonder. Is it unlike the map leading the treasure chest in Treasure Island?
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013

MaryAnne said:

Because I find it more profound, more applicable, more meaningful to speak of the principles, teachings and ideals of Buddhism (or ANY spiritual path or philosophy), in our own current everyday language, because we are living in the current everyday world as it is now.

OK, but where do you obtain your understanding of these principles?
    I personally gained my level of understanding of these teachings and principles from delving into books, written about Buddhism and its core principles, over the years; and reading about meditation - both within and outside the Buddhist realm of meditation; by reading articles, watching documentaries, and listening to video lectures, all from well respected sources, namely learned Buddhist monks / teachers.

I leave the suttas to the scholars and clergy, much like I would leave the Bible and Torah in their lengthy entirety to the scholars and clergy, but would take their teachings in classes or lesson form if I wanted to learn about them.

I went to Catholic school, (back in the day) and in those years in Catholic school, never once did I read directly from the Bible. We read from workbooks, and mimeographed sheets (damn, I'm OLD) and listened to lectures about what the Bible said and what it had to teach... I didn't actually read a real Bible myself until I was out of Catholic school.

So yes, one can learn all one needs to learn to be a practicing Buddhist without actually wading through the suttas/sutras themselves. Will they ever be a Buddhist monk or nun? No, most likely not, but that's not everyone's goal...
    Jeffrey
  • Why does he say we can be in touch with "the patriarchs"?
  • MaryAnne said:

poptart said:

Yes, of course. By misguided here I mean personal opinions about Buddhism which are not grounded in an understanding of Buddhist teachings. And reading the suttas and sutras is a good way to develop that understanding.
    But it would still be only your opinion that someone else is misguided or not truly understanding or applying the Buddhist teachings correctly. After all, you don't live their life, and you don't know their mind.

One man's 'misguided adventure' is another man's ultimate Journey.

• TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited March 2013
    -
    BhanteLucky
    MaryAnne said:

MaryAnne said:

poptart said:

But it would still be only your opinion that someone else is misguided or not truly understanding or applying the Buddhist teachings correctly. After all, you don't live their life, and you don't know their mind.
    Sure, but sometimes people just get it wrong. I ran a Buddhist group for 5 years and there were quite a lot of beginners turning up, some of them with some odd ideas about Buddhist teachings and practice.

MaryAnne said:

So yes, one can learn all one needs to learn to be a practicing Buddhist without actually wading through the suttas/sutras themselves....

I agree with you there, but I'd still recommend anyone with a serious interest in Buddhism to spend some time with the source material - it's fascinating and rewarding.
    riverflow