Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Competition

edited March 2013 in NewBuddhist.com
I am surprised to see how so much badge winning, awards, etc., seem a large part of a Buddhist website! I didn't know this was really what buddhism as a philosophy was about! ( somebody enlighten me?). I don't mean this as a criticism, I would like to know what people think.
Tosh

Comments

• chelachela Veteran
    I don't think people here are actively competing against each other to win message board badges. There have been other criticisms of these badges that I've seen in past posts. The first few that I received I thought were slightly "fun", but I quickly got past that and could care less.
    sndymornvinlyn
  • Thanks, I can get the 'fun' aspect too.
    Tosh
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Unless you actually LOOK to see what people respond to your posts as, or look on your profile page you don't even see them. I never look at posts I've written hours or days later to see what people "marked" them as. I don't care which button they clicked. I've never seen anyone here competing over them in any sense, they are just a fun little feature. I doubt most people write something just to see what kind of response they get. Attachment to them isn't good. But neither is aversion.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I think it's a nice way to acknowledge that you've seen a post, or that you want the poster to know - in one simple word - what you thought about their comment.
    I've never gotten the sense that anyone was actually "competing" for badges... wouldn't that be kind of silly?

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Blueaphid said:

I am surprised to see how so much badge winning, awards, etc., seem a large part of a Buddhist website! I didn't know this was really what buddhism as a philosophy was about!

It's flattering (or frightening?) that you think we NBers are the online representatives of Buddhism! :lol:
    chelaBunkskarastiriverflow
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Blueaphid said:

I am surprised to see how so much badge winning, awards, etc., seem a large part of a Buddhist website! I didn't know this was really what buddhism as a philosophy was about! ( somebody enlighten me?). I don't mean this as a criticism, I would like to know what people think.

The badges are simply a way of trying to get members (especially new ones) to be more active in the community and commemorate certain milestones, much like they do on Icrontic, NewBuddhist's sister site. They're about about community development and involvement, not about Buddhism per se. For more info about the philosophy behind the badges and reactions from the site owner, see this.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    So who's got the most LOLs? Who's winning?
  • So who's got the most LOLs? Who's winning?

I just looked.... 11 people have reached the "100 LOLs" badge. Since most reached the 100th LOL a month ago or longer, they probably have more than 100 by now.
    I got mine last week :D

No cash prize or coupons, though... :(

• I believe @lobster is in the lead with 252 LOLs, and

@federica is in 2nd place with 236 LOLs....