Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How come we forget our previous lives?

Given, it would be too much to remember and carry along, but we could remember mistakes and try to avoid them this time around. How does this take place? And is the memory also in the consciousness as well as the brain, as I some people do remember past lives clearly?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I'll give you the real answer -- nobody knows.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I'll give you the real answer -- nobody knows.

Some do, but do not care to respond, as they want us to find out on our own.
    blu3ree
  • Because we are not at the state of an Ahrant or Buddha and cannot see the full cycle of karma? To be honest, it is not something important, what is important is how you act now, and now and then now
    Jeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I couldn't tell you the way it works, of course. But my own opinion on why we don't consciously remember it is because think of how much it might impact our lives, if you knew even the totality of one of your past life, much less possibly hundreds of them. We wouldn't be able to live a real life now, I don't think. Yes there might be benefits to having learned lessons once and thus remembering them not making the same mistakes again, but there would be a lot of negatives, too. If I was violently murdered in my last life, I guess I'd rather not know that, for whatever reason. Probably sounds silly, but just how I am, lol. I do think that they are stored deeply in what we call our sub-conscious, but I think it takes a fair amount of work for most people to retrieve them, and that there are good reasons for that.
  • Given, it would be too much to remember and carry along, but we could remember mistakes and try to avoid them this time around. How does this take place? And is the memory also in the consciousness as well as the brain, as I some people do remember past lives clearly?

How come we forget our previous lives? Please find below my long explanations for your perusal: -

Firstly, we need to analyse deeply into the cycle of dependent origination as below: -

The Cycle of Dependent Origination

Every existence does contain with the three basic elements - energy, matter and space. These basic elements would subject to the balance and the imbalance phenomena. Under a balance phenomenon, these elements would start to integrate with each other to create an aggregate activity. Under an imbalance phenomenon, these elements would start to disintegrate from each other to create a segregate activity. Let us glance into the following cycle of dependent origination: -

Balance leads to stability. Stability leads to aggregation. Aggregation leads to agitation. Agitation leads to information. Information leads to knowledge. Knowledge leads to representation. Representation leads to memory. Memory leads to compulsion. Compulsion leads to ignorance. Ignorance leads to blindness. Blindness leads to disorientation. Disorientation leads to confusion. Confusion leads to irrationality. Irrationality leads to impulse. Impulse leads to sparkle. Sparkle leads to inkling. Inkling leads to volition. Volition leads to awareness. Awareness leads to consciousness. Consciousness leads to manas. Manas leads to mind and body. Mind and body lead to sensation. Sensation leads to six sense bases. Six sense bases lead to conductivity. Conductivity leads to contact. Contact leads to stimulation. Stimulation leads to feeling. Feeling leads to experience. Experience leads to craving. Craving leads to grasping. Grasping leads to clinging. Clinging leads to unsettling. Unsettling leads to becoming. Becoming leads to creation. Creation leads to birth. Birth leads to energising. Energising leads to mobility. Mobility leads to hauling. Hauling leads to aging. Aging leads to draining. Draining leads to death. Death leads to fragility. Fragility leads to segregation. Segregation leads to diffusion. Diffusion leads to imbalance. Imbalance leads to adjustment. Adjustment leads to alignment. Alignment leads to new balance.

The principle in effect: -

A stream of balance phenomena would conjure up aggregate activity,
    A stream of aggregate activities would conjure up information,
    A stream of information would conjure up memory,
    A stream of memories would conjure up ignorance,
    A stream of ignorance would conjure up volitional impulse,
    A stream of volitional impulses would conjure up consciousness,
    A stream of consciousness would conjure up body and mind,
    A stream of body and mind would conjure up six sense bases,
    A stream of six sense bases would conjure up contact,
    A stream of contacts would conjure up feeling,
    A stream of feelings would conjure up craving,
    A stream of cravings would conjure up clinging,
    A stream of clinging would conjure up becoming,
    A stream of becoming would conjure up birth,
    A stream of births would conjure up aging,
    A stream of aging would conjure up death,
    A stream of deaths would conjure up segregate activity,
    A stream of segregate activities would conjure up imbalance phenomenon,
    A stream of imbalance phenomena would conjure up new balance phenomenon.

Thus the conditional phenomena would continue repeatedly to depict the rising and the falling activities in the dependent nature. At the end of the day, it is difficult for one to see into the ultimate truth because the mind is dependent arising and the presence in the waves of dependent phenomena has clouded the mind from discerning the reality of circumstances i.e. ignorance arises. Nevertheless, the wise Buddha has laid emphasis that one should see in all angles of things or matters while searching for the ultimate truth or reality. Without it, any conclusions made out of one’s observation would not be balance or in a wholesome nature.

• Birth and Rebirth

Rebirth does not mean trans-migration. An individual soul does not migrate from one physical body into another body. No, it just won’t fit at all. Every individual or thing that exists would not be the same - it could only be in a similar condition e.g. twins are similar but never the same individuals. Every individual is unique respectively and no individuals would be the same even though they do share some sort of the same genes before time.

On this pretext, you may have heard in various stories whereby a spirit or ghost has the ability to possess into the body of an individual but it never absolutely overtakes the soul of the possessed individual. This is because one cannot simply exchange the soul at one’s whim and fancy. Even individuals with the most powerful magic charm could not perform this feat. Also, you have heard of organ transplant cases, whereby the recipients need to take immunosuppressive drugs to treat transplant rejection – live long.

In Buddhism, rebirth refers to evolving consciousness or stream of consciousness of a person upon death and the consciousness arising in the new person is neither identical to, nor entirely different from, the old consciousness, but forms part of a causal continuum or stream with it. The basic cause for this persistent re-arising of personality is the abiding of consciousness in ignorance; when ignorance is uprooted, rebirth ceases. For example, a flame is transferred from one candle to another, or a fire spreads from one field to another. In the same way that it depends on the original fire, there is a conditioned relationship between one life and the next; they are not identical but neither are they completely distinct. And for a further clarity, let us ponder into the following illustration: -

The Coffee in a Cup

Let say Coffee Original is one of the special brewed drinks: -

300ml hot liquid water =>
    70% coffee powder => 100% Coffee Original in cup Jumbo
    30% condensed milk =>

Supposedly, the cup Jumbo has broken apart by accident and the content has splattered around i.e.

30% onto the table,
    40% onto the floor,
    5% onto the wall,
    10% onto the drain,
    5% vaporised into thin air,
    10% remained in the broken cup.

A cleaner took up a rag and wiped off the remaining liquid coffee in sequential order starting from the table, the floor and then the wall. In a repeated gesture, the cleaner squeezed off the wet rag and the remaining coffee liquid flowed into three separate cups i.e.

Cup 1 80% already filled with tea liquid mixture.
    Cup 2 90% already filled with mocha liquid mixture.
    Cup 3 55% already filled with mineral water.

Let say 300ml of properties is a benchmark for a qualified special brewed drink. The cleaner then filled up the respective cup rooms with liquids derived from the rag that are by and large the remaining of Coffee Original derived from the table, the floor and the wall.

In this case, the respective 300ml of liquids in Cup 1, Cup 2 and Cup 3 is dependent on the Coffee Original before a new special brewed drink is made possible. However, this does not mean that Coffee Original is the only dependent source or ingredient. Respectively, Cup 1, Cup 2 and Cup 3 would need to depend upon many other sustaining factors as well such as the already partially filled liquids and new cups before qualifying as special brewed drinks.

As a conclusion, the new liquid mixture arising in Cup 1, Cup 2 and Cup 3 is neither identical to, nor entirely different from, the old coffee liquid, but forms part of a causal continuum or stream with it. There is a conditioned relationship between one liquid and the next; it is not identical but neither is it completely distinct.

The beauty of the nature is that it allows all sorts of processes taking place such as aggregation, segregation, evolution, mutation, assimilation, etc. As a consequence, every existence would not be totally the same or different from each other. We are all closely inter-dependent, inter-woven and inter-related with each other since the dawn of time in a very comprehensive and complicated network of existence – just like the Christian believes that all mankind derived from Adam and Eve.

And it is possible for rebirth to take place from a single source into different identities at any various point of time, just like how the genetic lineage works for generations. This is how we explain the destiny of being siblings, being life partners, being close friends in one’s lifetime. Somehow or somewhere before time, the so-called relevant individuals are inter-related or derived from the similar source of predecessors. Thus in the present lifetime one has the chance to meet and know with the relevant beings and not the other non-relevant beings.

Inevitably, under the natural law of attraction, anything that belongs to the same ancestry would somehow tend to attract with each other, no matter how far or near distance, how long or short time period, etc. So by now, one would know what the phrase, ‘Destiny is made in Heaven; Man looks for his other half; We shared with a common chemistry’, would mean in the general context.

Generally, most individuals could not recall their respective past lives because they have inherited much assimilated element-dots derived from myriad of predecessors. However, some individuals did remember vividly on their past lives and could relate it well in their present lives. A higher density of any particular element-dot inheritance would mean a higher retention of genetic information that determines the particular pool of behaviour of a predecessor.
    CinorjerThaiLotus
  • Store Consciousness

It is also known as the sub-conscious mind that is somehow independent from the physical body. Store consciousness would act like a museum whereby one could discern with the memory and the information aggregates. This is because within the sub-conscious aggregates, one would discover the sub-memory aggregates. Within the sub-memory aggregates, one would discover the sub-information aggregates. In other words, it is a place whereby one could see through the ‘seed treasures’ of Kamma accumulated from the retained sub-information throughout the series of one’s past lives.

Store consciousness is responsible for the birth and rebirth conditions of individuals. When a person is lying dead, all the aggregates of consciousness would leave the body. However, only the store consciousness would sustain in liberated conditions out of the physical body but not the mind consciousness and the sense consciousness. The switch of the mind consciousness and the sense consciousness would be turned off and it would not carry on beyond the grave because these two types of consciousness are dependent on the physical body for arising – just like shadow follows the body.

In other words, store consciousness (where all kinds of seeds and information are kept) would stay behind in a condition known as the stream of consciousness (always flowing, always present, never interrupted) and the basic cause for the persistent re-arising of personality is the abiding of store consciousness in ignorance; when ignorance is uprooted, rebirth ceases. Ignorance and memory aggregates are closely inter-dependent of each other. The memory aggregate has two main functions i.e. deposits and withdrawals of information – the act of retaining and recalling facts. The rise of ignorance has to depend on the withdrawal of deposited information from the previous events and the deposited information can only be redeemed from the memory aggregate.

Therefore, it is not correct to mention that a newborn being has no memory of a previous life. Every single newborn being would surely bear with the seeds of Kamma deriving from the previous lives. The seeds of Kamma are comparable to deposits of information and the fruits of Kamma are comparable to withdrawals of the deposited information upon maturity. In other words, it is not that the newborn being has no memory of a previous life but rather the fruits of Kamma have not ripened yet. Only upon maturity could the newborn being start to recall events related to his or her previous lives. As a conclusion, without store consciousness, the law of Karma would be impossible in the realms of existence.

What is an Enlightened Mind?

The mind comprises of two terms i.e. conscious and sub-conscious. The role of conscious mind is like mind-in-command i.e. the mind that can lead, take charge, concentrate, make decision and convey action. An enlightened mind can be described as a conscious mind with liberation from the thoughts i.e. instead of being the thoughts; the perspective is shifted to watching the thoughts churned out by the sub-conscious mind. In other words, it means the conscious mind would make observation without identifying with the thoughts – the sub-conscious mind. This liberation from thought identification to thought observation is called the experience of the Buddha nature.

During the process of observation, the enlightened conscious mind could also discern with the so-called memory fragments of the previous lives subdued within the sub-conscious mind. This is because within the sub-conscious aggregates, one would discover the sub-memory aggregates. Within the sub-memory aggregates, one would discover the sub-information aggregates. In other words, the enlightened conscious mind could see through the ‘seed treasures’ of Kamma accumulated from the retained sub-information throughout the series of one’s past lives in crystal clear and without hesitation.

Besides seeing through the past life events, an enlightened mind could also foresee into the future events. In a layman term, it is named as a de-ja vu experience or some kind of time travelling to the future condition. This is because an enlightened mind is highly illuminated and vigilant to any development of circumstances; surpassing time.

Patr
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I read that it's because we're distracted.

I also read that to remember it happens around the 4th jhana in meditation.

Personally I believe I was a Buddhist monk in my most previous life for a variety of reasons/evidences.
    blu3ree
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2013

Given, it would be too much to remember and carry along, but we could remember mistakes and try to avoid them this time around. How does this take place? And is the memory also in the consciousness as well as the brain, as I some people do remember past lives clearly?

It's difficult enough for me to remember what I ate a week ago, let alone try to recall a possible lifetime before this one.

Memory is a complex phenomenon, and memories routinely get created and forgotten, partially due to the fact that our neural networks, which are thought to store and retrieve memories, are constantly changing, with increases and decreases in the number of neurons in the brains and the number of connections between neurons. As such, it could be that memories are solely stored in the brain', and when the body dies, all memories are lost (as is basically the physicalist position).

Or perhaps our memories are stored/carried on via some difficult to access medium, e.g., genetics, storehouse consciousness a la Yogacara, morphogeneic field, etc. As for how such a transference of memory is possible (if indeed such a thing even exists), it may take place on the quantum level, kind of like 'spooky action at a distance' where two entangled particles communicate with each other instantaneously, even over great distances.

This could also go to help explain rebirth — which in Theravada is viewed as an instantaneous process whereby the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new moment of consciousness in a being yet to be born — occurs. Through meditative practices, it may be that one is able to increase neuron count and connectivity and/or access memories that are buried away in the recesses of our mind, which itself may not be as completely dependent upon or tied to matter, or more precisely, this particular physical body, as science suspects.

This is all just speculation on my part, however, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. Just offering some food for thought.
    lobsterpersonStraight_Man
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    I've recently read the Dalai Lama's book and I found the bits about reincarnation and selection of the next incarnation very interesting. I've always considered reincarnation to be a nonsense but am more open minded now. During selection a young child is said to clearly recognise associates of and belongings of the previous incarnation and thus there is no doubt he is the correct child they have found. This is true of the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama. He also speaks of some children being very quick to learn sutras as though they already know them and are just refreshing their memory.
    blu3ree
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Some people remember, but in infancy and toddlerhood, they're so distracted by everything in their new life, the memories gradually fade. The new child becomes acculturated to the material world and his/her new parents, and gradually forgets the spiritual zone he just came from, and his previous life.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Lee82 said:

I've recently read the Dalai Lama's book and I found the bits about reincarnation and selection of the next incarnation very interesting. I've always considered reincarnation to be a nonsense but am more open minded now. During selection a young child is said to clearly recognise associates of and belongings of the previous incarnation and thus there is no doubt he is the correct child they have found. This is true of the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama. He also speaks of some children being very quick to learn sutras as though they already know them and are just refreshing their memory.

Which is interesting because elsewhere he says that he has no memory of any previous births..
    That actually he was told that he remembered those things.
    What if we have no such memories because Ajahn Buddhadasa is correct when he says that the concept of serial births is part of the general illusion that comes with our view of time as sequential and linear..and that actually everything is always now ?
    Lutz
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    @Citta He did say that of his own life but he was also responsible for the search party to find the next Panchen Lama and seemed to be in no doubt that it was the reincarnation of his friend that he had discovered.
    When I met the boy the boy for the first time, I had no doubts about his identity. He behaved in a way that made it obvious he knew me, though he also showed the utmost respect. On that first occasion, I gave little Ling Rinpoche a large bar of chocolate. He stood impassively holding on to it, arm extended and head bowed all the time he was in my presence. I hardly think any other infant would have kept something sweet untasted and remained standing so formally. Then, when I received the boy at my residence and he was brought to the door, he acted just as his predecessor would have done. It was plain that he remembered his way round. Moreover, when he came into my study, he showed immediate familiarity with one of my attendants...
    Another impressive story about the boy concerns the time he was taken, at the age of only two, to Bodh Gaya, where I was due to give teachings. Without anyone telling him of its whereabouts, he found my bedroom, having scrambled on his hands and knees up the stairs, and laid a kata on my bed.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

The mind has 3 parts, Gross, subtle and very subtle. The Gross mind consists of the sense consciousness and so forth, The Subtle mind is the dreaming mind and the very subtle mind only manifests in deep sleep and at the time of death, It is the subtle mind that carries the potentialities of karma and so forth.

Memories at a guess would be either a product of the Gross or Subtle mind and at the time of death the gross mind dissolves into the subtle mind and the subtle mind dissolves into the very subtle mind, So effectively unless we have trained the mind very well to accomplish subtle mindfulness we will remember nothing of previous lives even though we bear the potentials of them.
    TheEccentricperson
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Or, you can consider the simple, direct answer that fits the facts.

First, memories are stored in the brain connections. Stimulate the right set of neurons and you stimulate and can recall what was stored there. When your brain is injured and the neurons that have been configured as a memory are dead or removed, you can permanently lose memories. Damage the brain, and you lose the ability to store and recall memories of even a minute ago. Neither is the brain a recording device. You can create memories of events that didn't happen. In fact, it happens all the time to all of us. If you work hard enough to "recall" memories of a past life, or some trauma such as child abuse that you're told happened even though you don't remember it, your brain can confuse imagination for memory. We are hardwired to "believe" our own memories as true in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Last, when you die, whatever else happens, your brain dies and no longer functions. All the memories you have stored away are gone because those exist only as patterns in your brain.

All I have said above consists of facts, not speculation or theory. If you further speculate that something exists after death, then it is something without the physical brain and everything that goes with it. To believe that "you" complete with memories and personality survive after death means you believe in a soul or spirit in some way, a supernatural thing that inhabits the body and continues after death. There is simply no other choice. Once you believe in a supernatural spirit, then it's a matter of faith and which type of spirit you choose to believe in and what you call it. "Subtle mind" is just another way to say a spirit or ghost. Take your pick.

And, you might be right when you say that "we" are migrating from one body to another, but at that point any question that asks "how" can only be answered by "It's magic, really. It's supernatural so anything is possible. It doesn't follow cause and effect like the world you experience."

• PatrPatr Veteran
    @buddhitakso,

I am impressed, you put into words what I can only think of.
    Yes, agree on all points,... except the notion of rebirth into multiple personalities, have not investigated this area yet.

If the words are from your own realisations, (which I think they are) then we have something to chat about.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Then @Cinorjer if we factor in the time aspect...ie that our perception of time as linear might be simply a result of our self sense and biology, then it opens up all sorts of alternatives to that of serial ,literal , post-mortem, Rebirth.
    Which is a notion which Ajahn Buddhadasa says the Buddha never taught.
  • Some people DO remember previous lives. There are many documented cases, but one I find particularly poignant is the story of Jenny Cockell who was impelled from earliest childhood to find and reunite her children from a past life.
    Tosh
  • Citta said:

Then @Cinorjer if we factor in the time aspect...ie that our perception of time as linear might be simply a result of our self sense and biology, then it opens up all sorts of alternatives to that of serial ,literal , post-mortem, Rebirth.
    Which is a notion which Ajahn Buddhadasa says the Buddha never taught.

I'd certainly agree there. If you delve into what makes Buddhism different from straight Eastern reincarnation beliefs, it's that at the deep core is the insight that rebirth is going on continuously for all of us, and also rebirth is not just an ancient atman or spirit crammed into a new baby body. Rebirth is something fresh and new arriving in the world.

Reincarnation to me seems an outgrowth of ancestor worship. It's saying the ancient people who came before us are much more important than people being born today and that in an important way, we exist for their benefit. In any case, there are a few things in life we all have to take on faith and an after-death journey is one of them. It's just futile to me, to tie your logic into knots trying to explain what in the end cannot be explained by logic. If reincarnation exists, then like Heaven or Hell or Gods or Demons, it exists in spite of defying logical explanation or irrefutable evidence and that might be the simple truth. I'll find out if I'm right or wrong eventually.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    poptart said:

Some people DO remember previous lives. There are many documented cases, but one I find particularly poignant is the story of Jenny Cockell who was impelled from earliest childhood to find and reunite her children from a past life.

Without doubt some people have experiences which they believe indicate previous lives.
  • poptart said:

Some people DO remember previous lives. There are many documented cases, but one I find particularly poignant is the story of Jenny Cockell who was impelled from earliest childhood to find and reunite her children from a past life.

I know some of these stories about people who claim to remember past lives seem amazing. However, what you read are the facts after they've been filtered through an attempt to made them fit. It's how our minds work and fake psychics make a living exploiting it. For another look at the famous Jenny Cockell story, for instance, try http://www.csicop.org/sb/show/case_of_reincarnation_reexamined/

• Cinorjer said:

It's how our minds work and fake psychics make a living exploiting it.

I agree everything we see and hear is filtered, especially through our own prejudices.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    poptart said:

I had a look at that link, it's about a lady called Jenny cockell and it led me to watch a short youtube interview with her and the 'children' she found.

At face value itt seems fairly compelling. Very interesting, thanks. I've just ordered the book.

I'm not sure if I believe in reincarnation or even rebirth, but it is an interesting subject.
  • Dr. Ian stevenson did work on this, interesting finds. On a side note, Ive occasionaly thought what if some people are reincarnated, while others just die, etc.
  • Gah... this is a hard discussion for me. I have done some reading about "Akashic Records" and such, and the work done by Edgar Cayce. Once upon a time (should I say "new age?") I would have been more open to it... but, looking at it from my current (Buddhist) context, it all screams "new age" to me. I could be wrong, however.

I TEND to be a reincarnationist. I TEND to believe in karmic debt (gathered and cleared over lifetimes). But, my metaphorical jury is still out... kinda. The metaphysical jury is yet to be accounted for.
  • Patr said:

@buddhitakso,
    If the words are from your own realisations, (which I think they are) then we have something to chat about.

My pleasure..these words are from my insights and direct experiences on the orientation of the nature. I would be pleased to share more of my insights here if you wish to know it. Have a nice day!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    My views on reincarnation don't necessarily line up with the Buddhist thought on it, but right now, I'm ok with that. I don't feel a need to fully understand (or even attempt to) what I think happens at and after death. I have a hard enough time comprehending what happens in life.
    vinlynStraight_Manlobster
  • I have a hard enough time comprehending what happens in life.
    Most of us barely comprehend what we are, where we are and where to go, instead we obsess about whether we were a frog that is paying the karma of all the flies eaten or something similar.

I don't remember past lives. I don't care about them, I have an appointment with Buddhahood. Maybe it's something I ate in a previous form . . .

:p
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    lobster said:

I have a hard enough time comprehending what happens in life.
    Most of us barely comprehend what we are, where we are and where to go, instead we obsess about whether we were a frog that is paying the karma of all the flies eaten or something similar.

I don't remember past lives. I don't care about them, I have an appointment with Buddhahood. Maybe it's something I ate in a previous form . . .

Or maybe your subconscious told you that last life you were a frog and paying your dues now....
    haha.
    Err, your appointment has been deferred, pls get a new number and line up again.
    Also, my insight tells me you ate an enormous hallucinogenic mushroom that made you think you're human, effects havent worn out yet.

Croak!