Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A late intro.

swaydamswaydam Veteran
edited April 2013 in Buddhism Basics
Hi. I don't think I ever really introduced myself.... I prefer anonymity so I won't give my name. But I'm 29, been interested in Buddhism since I was in my late teens, my favorite being Zen. Been also into eastern and western philosophy (like Stoicism) in general. I live in TN right now, and am in college for a psychology degree. Peace.

If anyone else would like to introduce themselves who hasn't in this thread...?
riverflowDaltheJigsawThailandTomInvincible_summerTheEccentric

Comments

• Hello, swaydam! /\

So do you see some philosophical commonalities between Buddhism and Stoicism? Stoicism is fascinating to me (I still have a soft spot for Seneca's letters especially). I'm very Zen-inclined too.

I live in West Memphis, Arkansas and I've started travelling to Batesville to the monastery there (connected with Thich Nhat Hahn's Plum Village) and a VERY small English-speaking sangha in Memphis at Quan Am Monastery that meets on Thursday evenings. Anyway, if you are interested (or perhaps interested at a later date), by all means, come! The more the merrier!

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Hi, nice to meet you.
  • I've been to the Quan Am Monastery actually! Only problem is its about a 2 hour drive to get there. I may come more anyway.

Stoicism is all about non-attachment and developing virtue, so sure there is philosophical similarities between it and Buddhism. Its only lack maybe is that its not as deeply developed as it could have been.

riverflow
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Welcome @swaydam. Hope you find something useful here ... or there as the case may be.

Best wishes.
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Thanks yall
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Hi :wave:
    Virtue always seems a good plan.
    I would introduce myself but everything seems to be pointing to the realisation that there is nothing to introduce . . .

Oh the humanity . . . .
  • swaydam said:

I've been to the Quan Am Monastery actually! Only problem is its about a 2 hour drive to get there. I may come more anyway.

Stoicism is all about non-attachment and developing virtue, so sure there is philosophical similarities between it and Buddhism. Its only lack maybe is that its not as deeply developed as it could have been.

When I went last Thursday, we had a sangha of two. I think we could afford to have more! haha Its Thursdays at 6 pm (I don't know if that time has changed since you last came there). Apparently a lot of people have moved, so new blood is needed I guess.

Definitely agree with you about Stoicism. I was really into Pierre Hadot's books last year when I took a hiatus of sorts from Buddhist practice. But its insights are precisely what inevitably brought me back to Buddhism. It was a very educational detour for me.
  • Oh, I got confused actually. I was gonna go to the Quan Am Monastery but ended up going to Pema Karpo Meditation Center. Hmmm. =/

I'll have to check out Pierre Hadot's books. I've only read classical stuff like Marcus Aurelius.
    riverflow
  • Hadot has a book on Marcus Aurelius--highly recommended. His scholarship was groundbreaking and shed lots of interesting light on just WHAT the Meditations were in the context of Stoic practice. It isn't a book of philosophy to be read by others, nor a journal of thoughts, but something more like a personal workbook of philosophical exercises to re-orient the mind. It helps make better sense of what Marcus Aurelius was writing about and why.

PM me if/when you are interested in going to Quan Am. I'll give you an email address--just in case a meetup might be cancelled for any reason. Apparently the usual thing there is some recitation, 30 minutes meditation, a little sutra reading and some discussion afterward on your own thoughts on the text. Lasts about an hour. Its in the Thich Nhat Hanh tradition. Good stuff.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    What??? They don't allow Buddhism in Tennessee!!!

Only kidding! Welcome!
    riverflow
  • OK, thanks.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Leon and I practice Zen and Vipassana. I am 27 and live in California, San Francisco Bay Area.
  • I don't need an introduction to most members here, but welcome @swaydam. Lets just say you are fashionably late :p