Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dexter a Buddhist?

He is mindful, always ahead of his opponents, very meticulous about his work, lives in the present (at least tries to), does not have superstitious beliefs, etc. Is it possible that the novelist/director was acquainted with Buddhism while creating this character? A dark Buddhist, perhaps?
caz

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    The fictional character Dexter has a clearly recognisible Personality Disorder.
    All the above are common to those of high intelligence who are Personality Disordered.
    The writers of the Buddha's teachings stressed frequently that there are two wings to the bird of Buddhism..they are wisdom and compassion.
    personInvincible_summer
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Funny ! :)
  • Citta said:

The fictional character Dexter has a clearly recognisible Personality Disorder.
    All the above are common to those of high intelligence who are Personality Disordered.
    The writers of the Buddha's teachings stressed frequently that there are two wings to the bird of Buddhism..they are wisdom and compassion.

The real question is, is Dexter at least trying to follow the middle path (relatively speaking, that is, considering he didn't have a normal childhood)?
  • As far as fictional characters go, I think Mr. Spock would make an excellent Buddhist.
    blu3reeMaryAnne
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    music said:

The real question is, is Dexter at least trying to follow the middle path (relatively speaking, that is, considering he didn't have a normal childhood)?

You'd have to ask him.
    MaryAnne
  • Dexter is a high-functioning sociopath. He speaks with his dead father for cripessakes. He kills because he needs to kill and he LOVES to kill.
    He chooses his "evil-doing" bad-guy victims so as to justify that love of killing. Buddhist? .....Seriously.... ??

Hmmm, maybe Darth Vader was just a misunderstood Buddhist... or Charlie Manson...
    Invincible_summernenkohai
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    What are you really asking? If someone can be skillful and smart but unethical or something like that?

I think @citta addressed the question best, Buddhism consists of both wisdom and compassion.

Our individual characteristics and tendencies shouldn't really be thought of as traits but rather as skills, modern neuroscience backs up this view. As such even those that are strong and deeply ingrained can be weakened and those that are non existent can be trained to become second nature.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    nenkohai said:

As far as fictional characters go, I think Mr. Spock would make an excellent Buddhist.

Agreed, though Tuvok is the only Vulkan I've seen with a regular meditation practice! lol
  • person said:

What are you really asking? If someone can be skillful and smart but unethical or something like that?

Something like that. Mindfulness is the most important thing in Buddhism, ethics is only subjective. Else, Buddha would not have accepted a mass murderer into his group. So Dexter's killing could be viewed as right action (since he eliminates bad guys). That it gives him pleasure is not an issue ... for regular people also, good deeds give them pleasure.
  • MaryAnne said:

Hmmm, maybe Darth Vader was just a misunderstood Buddhist...

I thought Darth Vader was a misunderstood asthmatic patient.
  • As far as fictional characters go, I think Mr. Spock would make an excellent Buddhist.
    Spock, like all Vulcans is emotionally suppressed.
    Personally as far as fictional characters go, I prefer the Buddha.

Killing for peace is a bit like fucking for vir%#?€ty. (sorry for the swearing)
    Killers and thieves renounce their unethical behaviour as soon as possible.
    Wrathful Buddhas (former deities and demons) practice higher forms of mugging. For example killing bad metaphors and unskilful thoughts, before they arise . . . :rarr:

The closest to Dexter is crazy wisdom adepts. Dexter is unbalanced to put it kindly. Fortunately we can snap our fingers and he is gone. Shame our ignorance is not so easily dissipated . . .

:wave:
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited April 2013
    music said:

person said:

Something like that. Mindfulness is the most important thing in Buddhism, ethics is only subjective. Else, Buddha would not have accepted a mass murderer into his group. So Dexter's killing could be viewed as right action (since he eliminates bad guys). That it gives him pleasure is not an issue ... for regular people also, good deeds give them pleasure.
    Well even though you are correct that ethics is subjective that doesn't mean they are false. Getting a hug is better than getting a slap in the face as it creates greater happiness for both the giver and the givee.

Angulimala was a mass murderer but he wasn't one while he was following the Buddha. The past is the past so long as it is left there and forgiveness is a very positive quality.

The Buddha summed up his teaching with "Do no harm, be kind to others, purify ones mind". So non harming and kindness are very much an essential part of Buddhism. Mindfulness is hard if not impossible to attain without some level of ethics.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    music said:

person said:

No, that's not true. Ethics and wisdom plays as much of a role as concentration in the middle way of the Buddha (i.e., the noble eightfold path). For example, from MN 44:
    "And are the three aggregates [of virtue, concentration, & discernment] included under the noble eightfold path, lady, or is the noble eightfold path included under the three aggregates?"

"The three aggregates are not included under the noble eightfold path, friend Visakha, but the noble eightfold path is included under the three aggregates. Right speech, right action, & right livelihood come under the aggregate of virtue. Right effort, right mindfulness, & right concentration come under the aggregate of concentration. Right view & right resolve come under the aggregate of discernment."
    And as for the story of Angulimala, even Angulimala renounced all of his murderous ways after this exchange with the Buddha uttered this verse:
    "I have stopped, Angulimala,
    once & for all,
    having cast off violence
    toward all living beings.
    You, though,
    are unrestrained toward beings.
    That's how I've stopped
    and you haven't."
    No, in my opinion, Dexter most likely isn't a Buddhist.
    riverflowSabre
This discussion has been closed.