Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Contentment and ambition? Help please

Hi all,

I've reached a point in my life where I am very content with things. I don't worry about many situations and I find myself not stressing out a lot.

At the same time, however I have dreams of traveling far and wide, of climbing the career ladder and of living a comfortable (by western standards) lifestyle.

Currently, as I've just finished school I have these ambitions but feel that at times, my contentment with life sort of washes out my ability to take action on these dreams because I already feel happy (lots of shamatha meditation). I don't want my life to pass me by. As an example: I'm not employed, staying with a friend, have student loans getting ready to pop up and I need to find an economic means of sustaining myself temporarily in the next week. None of this bothers me, yet up until today, I didn't really feel clear on a practical means of meeting the demands of my mundane life.

If you all have any tips to balance contentment with ambition/daily needs, I'd certainly appreciate it.

With metta,
just

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    There is nothing wrong with being ambitious as long as you stay content while you do it, lol. It's easy to get caught up in justifying doing things in the name of ambition. We all have ambitions of some sort, but they are something you can work steadily towards without clinging to the outcome. Work on climbing your career ladder, as long as you aren't stepping on other people, pushing people off the side and removing rungs so you can get there and someone else can't. Getting there, and getting there at all costs aren't the same thing. Plus when you take care of the people on the ladder with you it works out better for everyone else in the end. Who wants to work under someone who just stepped on their fingers on the way up the ladder?
    lobster
  • Okay its simple.

There is absolute truth and relative truth.

Absolute truth deals with the unconditioned and a whole load of existential realizations that make life just simply amazing.

Relative truth is the practical day to day living.

Both should inform each other or not dependent totally on the view and preference of the individual practitioner.

Contentment is useful but it can also be laziness. Balance contentment with passion and motivation.

In my practice and study view and conduct are stressed. Sometimes view (absolute reality) has nothing to do with conduct (relative, everyday reality). Sometimes they communicate with each other. And on rare occasions there is no division between the two.

But what has really helped with everyday living is the understanding of causality. The understanding of dependent origination. Why? Because then one can actively engage in the world and practice without being in stagnant waters. So for many practice and religion is an escape from reality or suffering, but I have found that these practices gave room to directly face the problems of suffering and reality. And in fact one becomes more engaged, yet totally free at the same time.

Long story short: work with circumstances and learn how causality works in day to day life. when personal suffering is eradicated then the movement to do anything becomes for other people. And that can be disorientating when our whole lives we have been operating from selfish motives.
    Invincible_summerlobster
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Follow your shamatha meditation with insight meditation. In terms of time, maybe do 3 parts shamatha followed by one part insight, followed by one more part shamatha. Seems like the death meditations would be a good place to start for you.

Death, Friend or Foe?. (There are seven parts. That first link is the first part.)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If you're content, be patient ... it'll change.
    If you are not content, be patient ... it'll change.
    lobster
  • @genkaku, do you have any savings for retirement or coverage for healthcare costs? I know these things are symptomatic of clinging/becoming, just curious how far you take that philosophy.
  • Being contented doesn't mean you have to sit around and do nothing. Perhaps you can consider things you can do to help other people.

As for wanting to have a comfortable life, the Buddha said it's ok for lay people to enjoy wealth that was obtained righteously. Just make sure you are living within your means and earning a living in accordance with Right Livelihood. Also, Buddha advised lay people to spend appropriate portions of their wealth on family, friends and for charitable purposes.

• JimyoJimyo Explorer
    The four means to accomplishment (as part of the 37 factors of enlightenment) are desire, energy, consciousness and investigation. I remember struggling with the fact that desire (or chanda) could be seen as a factor of enlightenment but what it really means is 'intention' or 'desire to accomplish' and is certainly a positive thing.
    Jeffrey
  • Every mental or emotional state passes. Your present state, which you call "contentment", will also pass. I guarantee that :)

I would just enjoy the calm for a little while. Those student loan bills will spur you into action soon enough. Once you are out in the work/business world, there'll be plenty of challenges for you to work with and learn from. Then your samatha meditation will likely come in very handy.
  • Such great, varied responses and all have been helpful to me. Thank you all, so much. :)
    lobster
  • Everything will be fine . . . z z z . . .
    Only liberation will be awakening.
  • justbe said:

Hi all,

If you all have any tips to balance contentment with ambition/daily needs, I'd certainly appreciate it.

With metta,
    just

Contentment means being satisfied with having little. Even monks have basic requisites of food, clothing, shelter and medicines for which they are dependent on lay followers.

As a minimum for a layman one must at least provide for oneself these things. That means having an minimum income. This also means finding a job/profession in most cases unless you are lucky to find someone to support you.

A good question to ask is can you really be contented with having so little.
    lobster
  • edited April 2013
    The problem is that needs also evolve depending upon the historical period. Centuries ago, entertainment was the privilege of the rich - they and they alone had the time to be bored. Peasants and plebeians were too overworked to think of entertaining themselves; and if they did, that was a luxury. But today technology has translated that luxury into a necessity - everybody feels bored as a result, and hence the concept of mass entertainment is born.

This is just one example. You can apply similar logic to other areas. Point is, it is not just desire but even so-called needs that keep evolving over a period of time. They don't remain static, so what applies to one historical period may not apply to another. Yesterday's luxuries are today's needs. So one cannot say with absolute certainty as to where needs end and where greed begins.
    lobsterpersonJeffrey
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Being "in the moment" isn't an excuse to ignore the future. You need to take care of business, OP, and get yourself onto a career track so you can pay those loans and build a future for yourself.

The Buddha was often meeting with potential sponsors for his movement and making alliances, in order to secure the funding that allowed his monks to live and follow the path he'd outlined. He had to be a sort of part-time fundraiser, as well as a teacher and a leader. He didn't just sit around and meditate contentedly. There were practical realities that had to be dealt with. He had a vision, and he worked hard to bring it to fruition. It would be best if you followed his example in that respect, working to bring your own vision to fruition.
    Jeffrey