Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Am I the only one

who isn't crazy about vacation? I went on a five day trip - Shimla in India, then some snowclad peaks in manali, did the usual stuff like snowmobiles, rafting, etc. For others, this would have been a dream, but for me it was boring and meaningless.

To be honest, nothing excites me anymore - not even a 'dream' vacation like this.

Has anyone felt this way? Is it a sign of depression - or perhaps enlightenment?
Invincible_summer

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Travel isn't for everyone. Just because many enjoy it doesn't mean you are depressed, or enlightened if you do not.
    I enjoy meeting new people and seeing new scenery, but traveling is utterly exhausting for me, especially with 3 kids, and I usually find I need a vacation after the vacation is done. But sometimes, having fun just for the sake of having fun, is ok I think. But why do things, and spend money on, something you don't enjoy or find fun?
  • karasti said:

Travel isn't for everyone. Just because many enjoy it doesn't mean you are depressed, or enlightened if you do not.
    I enjoy meeting new people and seeing new scenery, but traveling is utterly exhausting for me, especially with 3 kids, and I usually find I need a vacation after the vacation is done. But sometimes, having fun just for the sake of having fun, is ok I think. But why do things, and spend money on, something you don't enjoy or find fun?

Yeah, I get that. But at the same time I do not wish to disappoint my friends. Most of the time I find myself nodding to their proposal - they are good people and I do not wish to hurt them.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Is it a sign of depression - or perhaps enlightenment?
    Welcome back. You are in the best position to know, as you know. Now that you are perhaps honest about your situation, what is the plan? Save others or perhaps yourself? What is the cure for enlightened depression? Glad you are safe.

:wave:
    personLucy_Begood
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    @Music, I felt like that a lot, and it was because of having depression. I dunno if it would be the same for you, maybe.
    Good luck.
    lobsterLucy_Begood
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Were those things, things you used to enjoy and now don't? Or have you never enjoyed them? Sometimes, we just outgrow things. Sometimes they used to be fun and then they aren't anymore. I used to snowmobile a lot, now I do it rarely. It just isn't fun anymore. But I still have fun doing other things I enjoy.

If it were me in the group of friends, I'd rather that someone just speak up if they don't want to come. I wouldn't want someone to tag along out of obligation if they didn't enjoy it. I wouldn't feel hurt, either, over someone who opted not to join. But, I don't know your friends or culture, either. Perhaps you are thinking your friends will react in a way they wouldn't.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    music said:

who isn't crazy about vacation? I went on a five day trip - Shimla in India, then some snowclad peaks in manali, did the usual stuff like snowmobiles, rafting, etc. For others, this would have been a dream, but for me it was boring and meaningless.

To be honest, nothing excites me anymore - not even a 'dream' vacation like this.

Has anyone felt this way? Is it a sign of depression - or perhaps enlightenment?

Sometimes great surroundings and activities can be spoiled by the people we share them with?
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I think the French call this "ennui", which i'm not so sure is the same thing as depression, but i may be romanticizing what you are describing. But yes, it also could be deppression. or it could be that you don't connect with your friends anymore? Maybe you are heading in a different direction? Or maybe you are just growing out of commercial bullshitism that is much of the "dream" vacations we see today?

My dream vacation is a campfire, a stream, a trail, under stars, acoustic guitar, ALONE. The vacation that you described sounded like sonething i wanted to do when i was 18. But, we change. :)
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    In my younger days I used to find vacations a huge disappointment. Looking back I was going on vacation because I felt deeply dissatisfied with myself and knew something had to change, but being in a different location doesn't change what you are inside.

lobsterInvincible_summer
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    music said:

It is neither depression or enlightenment. It is just having too much of the good thing.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    I know what you mean. I do think that progress can mean losing interest in some activities. Somehow one cannot become absorbed by them in the same old way, and are more aware of their superficiality. Ones attention is turning to other things.

But of course it could just be ennui, or a chemical imbalance, or a cynicism that grows naturally with age, or other things. Only you could know.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

Vacation for me has always been a strange concept - it's akin to a window to how the other (not-so) half may live... I much prefer structuring my life so that every day I am broadly doing things that I wish to do - I don't grade my progress against others so I don't find myself in a situation of wondering what another person would do in my shoes and why I'm not the same.

If you found the activities boring and meaningless, why did you do them? Why not do something that you find engaging if perhaps not altogether meaningful?

What you describe is one of the broad range of symptoms presented by depression - it is difficult assessing from an isolated example whether you may be clinically depressed or not - probably best to seek medical advice.

Perhaps it is enlightenment - I suppose you'd know if it were.
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    music said:

I think you have to have a few more factors present for it to be depression and/or enlightenment. :lol: But, yes, I feel the same way as well. I feel that I become more and more comfortable with renunciation with each passing day. So things like vacations and the sort don't excite me. They are just there. They have no real value as far as my contentment or lack-thereof is concerned. They are neither good or bad things; just neutral.

However, if I had to go on a vacation? I would still enjoy it. Why? Because it's not about having aversion to going on vacation, but rather being able to appreciate it when it comes, and not miss it when it goes/stops. I would probably enjoy going on vacation at the same intensity as I would sitting at home and playing on the computer.

I have been finding many things "meaningless" in my life ever since I was a child. Back then I believe that was simply a state of depression and/or disdain, relating directly back to ego. A good example of this is looking back on Christmas morning, and realizing that the gifts I asked Santa for did not fulfill me like I thought they would. As soon as I opened my present and played with it for 5 minutes, like so many of us in life, I no longer wanted it and realized it did not bring me happiness or contentment. I was still searching for more.

However the older I become, I see it transforming more into a state of contentment and non-grasping. Not saying that I have mastered this by any means, but sometimes I think depression can be the baby steps before reaching some form of appreciation for non-attachment. But getting over that hurdle is the hardest part. Sadly, not many people make it past that point and get stuck there.
  • black_teablack_tea Explorer
    Some people like to travel, some don't. I would like to travel more, but don't have the money and time to do so. Also, when you do travel, you need to pick out the things that *you* want to do, not just what is considered typical of other tourists. I would love to go to India, but the activities you mentioned would not be things I would particularly enjoy.
  • edited May 2013
    wherever you go the sky is the sky and people are people.

If you love travel fine, dont get caught up in it so much that you lose your self constantly thinking "where to go next?"

Wherever you are, life is right there...not over on some " paradise island "
  • FullCircleFullCircle Explorer
    How on earth can anyone possibly think this could be enlightenment? Sounds like depression- a friend of mine recently said he thinks he has dysthymia- kind of a constant low level depression. Cognitive behavioral therapy- along w maybe a med is recommended. I'd definitely say music has ALOT of negative thoughts- musics posts depress me! Sooo negative and what a view about how humans are inherently evil etc-
    How can one feel peace happiness or contentment when they believe such beliefs? Enlightenment is when we don't believe ANY thoughts anymore! We can just rest in being and relax and not cling to views no matter positive or negative. I'm sorry I won't ramble more, but I hope you do look into this music- you and all beings deserve happiness and peace and can enjoy precious human life!
    Glowstavros388
  • music said:

Yeah, me too. There is a saying from the Gospel of Thomas "He who has known the world has found a corpse...", which sums up how I see it. The world is empty, hollow, without vitalising spirit or permeating truth. A rock is a rock, whether it's in my back garden or in a tranquil and "holy" zen monastery. Wherever you go, the world is the same, and people are the same, despite superficial variation in culture and appearance.

To see the world as it truly is can either be a curse, and lead unto depression, or as a source of great mental power and lead unto enlightenment. If you let yourself become existentially depressed (as opposed to chemical depression which you have no influence over), you're just swapping one illusion - where the world is full of joy and wonder, for another where the world is full of meaninglessness and oblivion.
    What you want to aim for is the region between excitement and boredom, both of these reactions to the world signify a deep attachment, or embedding of the mind in the illusion we create of the world around us. An experience is just an experience.
    SillyPuttyJeffrey
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited May 2013

How on earth can anyone possibly think this could be enlightenment? Sounds like depression- a friend of mine recently said he thinks he has dysthymia- kind of a constant low level depression. Cognitive behavioral therapy- along w maybe a med is recommended. I'd definitely say music has ALOT of negative thoughts- musics posts depress me! Sooo negative and what a view about how humans are inherently evil etc-
    How can one feel peace happiness or contentment when they believe such beliefs? Enlightenment is when we don't believe ANY thoughts anymore! We can just rest in being and relax and not cling to views no matter positive or negative. I'm sorry I won't ramble more, but I hope you do look into this music- you and all beings deserve happiness and peace and can enjoy precious human life!

I have to agree. In light of music's past posts, it sounds like depression.

Although the Buddha spoke of disenchantment with the world, I've found my practice enlivens my experience of every moment of life. You have the rest of eternity to be dead. When you truly confront death, life becomes imbued with wonder. The precarious odds of your existence, the nature of consciousness, the peculiarities of being born in a human incarnation, the diversity with which name and form expresses itself. The Buddha in the Pali cannon is often called "the happy one." This is what we are meant to wake up to more and more.
    FullCirclestavros388
  • FullCircleFullCircle Explorer
    Well said Glow- there are miracles everywhere we look:)! We ARE one!
    Glow
  • CheChe Veteran
    @BeejAbides, 'Commercial Bullshitism' rofl, one of the antitheses of Buddhism :)
    @Music, been there, done that, anti depressants worked for me, 5 or 6 days, different world.
    Namaste
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Music -Did you expect it to be blow-your-mind-awesome, and it turned out to be just okay? Maybe your expectations just got in the way.

Are you even interested in the activities that you did in India? If not, that could also be a reason.

Just because it might be a "dream vacation" for others doesn't mean it would be the same for you. I really want to visit India, but mainly for pilgrimage reasons so doing the things you did seem sort of boring to me too. Well that, and I live in Canada where I can do those things easily anyway...
    Glow
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited May 2013
    You bring up a good point, @Invincible_summer. I often find if I go into a vacation with high expectations, I'm inevitably underwhelmed because I am constantly comparing how things are going to how I imagined them. The thought "I'm supposed to be happy/enjoying this" can deflate any potential for spontaneous happiness.

And, of course, different people enjoy different things.
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    When I went to Europe, I was expecting my gf and I to be able to walk hand-in-hand in Paris, sit at a cafe and drink coffee/wine/kir, and for everything to be cool.

It was smelly, rainy, crowded, and we couldn't afford anything. We spent quite a bit of time griping because we expected too much. When we went to the Arc de Triomphe, my gf actually said "Oh, that's it?" :lol:
    BeejSillyPuttyGlow
  • @music - if you think you might be depressed, you may very well be. I have been through it, having experienced that lack of the typical enjoyment of things that normally would have been exciting and enjoyable. For me, it was situational (based on some things that were going on in my life). I got some help for it, and came through on the other side with an increasingly renewed sense of hope and happiness.

I hope that if you determine that you're experiencing depression, you will get some help. It is an illness, and you can get well. I had some short-term therapy and mild medication for about 8 months. That was about 4 years ago. It was the first (and so far, last) time I've had depression. I'm glad I got some help, and I hope that if you have depression, you'll get help as well.

All the best to you.
    GlowBeejlobster
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran

When I went to Europe, I was expecting my gf and I to be able to walk hand-in-hand in Paris, sit at a cafe and drink coffee/wine/kir, and for everything to be cool.

It was smelly, rainy, crowded, and we couldn't afford anything. We spent quite a bit of time griping because we expected too much. When we went to the Arc de Triomphe, my gf actually said "Oh, that's it?" :lol:

Well, if you must go to Paris...

It has a solid reputation for being unfriendly to tourists, esp the Yanks and the Brits.
  • graceleegracelee Veteran
    I suppose one way to tell if is depression or not might be to check if you are less interested in other things you used to get enjoyment from or if it is just travel?
  • graceleegracelee Veteran
    I just re-read your post and you answered that question!.. ooopsie
  • cptshrkcptshrk Explorer
    Depression, bro. Don't be afraid to love!
    John_Spencer
  • Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
    Yes much so. I have been feeling incredably down recently i.e past two years. I meditated on this and whilst i have atruck load of demons i need to deal with it came down to boredom , as you say. So i have been trialing out new hobbies something to get me totally passionate about life again. I am loving reading about other philosophical schools of thought other than buddhism and finding really odd facts, I have developed my own school of thought about how one should live to help with my depressed like state. l finished it last sunday actually. Each morning i vow to live by what i call the PIMMS principal. Sorry if anyone heard me babbling about this yesterday.

P is for liviing each moment with passion and enthusiasm
    I is for living integrally
    M is s for living by my own means. I am a free agent and i am able to decide for myself what is right or wrong good or bad.
    M is for meaningful. Dedicating my time to things that go beyong my experience. I am only here a short time and out of seven billion people i am fairly insignificant but if me the one can help another person each person will hopefully help another and so the chain spreads.
    S can either stand for simplicity because the world is to complicated as it is or it stands for sarcasm, i do love clever wit.

I am thinking about adding a C for curiousity lol.

I hope my rambling helps

All the best
    kashiJohn_SpencerGlow
  • Hey dudes, I have definitely experienced this phenomena - I feel a lot of it comes down to our fundamental capacity to tease out that very subtle sense of wonder and rapture that our experience often holds, but we fail to spot. Right now, im in my boxers, getting ready to go to work, smelling the tumble dryer in the living room, the light on the plant in front of me, the calm of a good nights kip, my bare feel on the wooden floor - all these i rarely notice, but when i do... Mmmmmm ;-) In my experience, if you have a regular practice (of whatever sort), are looking after the body and the mind as best you can (within reason) and are living in a way which is conducive to and supportive of the five positive ethical precepts (Kindness, Generosity, Contentment, Truthful Communication, Minfulness) then when we "come into" our present experience more fully, and take stock of what it contains, its a lot easier to just go "wow".

This year I went on Pilgrimage to India, and with the exception of Lumbini (couldn't get a Nepal visa in time), visited and paid reverence and homage at all the major sites of significance. I experienced some unspeakable highs (Vultures peak, meditating in the cave the Buddha stayed at for many years) and also some really lows (Sravasti, where the Anathapindika monastery and Jetta groves are) where I really couldn't connect... So much it down to conditions, and those which we can effect, great, but many we cant.

If you have sought medical help and support then I applaud you - I struggled with poor mental health for years, and very occasionally the "black dog" enters the room still, but you aren't broken, and im sure by a combination of turning your awareness onto itself and looking at your direct experience more closely you may find that your day to day life holds more joy and untold treasure than you could ever wish to find at the ends of the earth.

If anyone cares, I wrote about my struggles with depression following the Pilgrimage recently, and of my life changing back injury, without which I would not have had o start looking in the world in this way, being as I am now living with chronic pain. May it be of some use to those suffering in some way.

With more love and metta than I could ever hope to express,

Jay xx :-D

thedharma-farmer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/back-to-basics-confessions-of-broken.html

• I certainly hope "enlightenment" doesn't mean I can never derive any joy from life.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Mountains said:

I certainly hope "enlightenment" doesn't mean I can never derive any joy from life.

*GASP* Mountains! You're back!! How's everything going? Where are you working? How's your sister?

:wave: