Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ultimate Sacrifice

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2013
    ...."the deuce".....?

Immediately, @Chrysalid soars in my estimation!! :lol:
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    federica said:

It's an extremely damaged and un-restored, fragmented statue, depicting the Buddha during the time he practised extreme asceticism... and finally decided "This is NOT a good idea. I'm HUNGRY!!"

Sorry to stray from topic but something has always bugged me. In the story of Buddhas' moment of enlightenment or awakening, was there a rice field maiden that brought him food out of compassion?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Rice field maiden"....?
    No, i think it was just a girl who came to fetch water from the stream he almost drowned in, and brought him milk and rice. In fact, as far as i can see, scant mention is made as to how he began to eat again. Most accounts simply state he simply did....
    Something else I have noticed on this 'Fast Diet' I'm on.

And hold onto your hats, but I swear it's the truth:

I don't pass wind.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I've found the same when I cut out rice, bread and white pasta.
    Otherwise I tend to be somewhat... :om:
    Jetpowered!
    JeffreyBeejJainarayan
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    federica said:

"Rice field maiden"....?
    No, i think it was just a girl who came to fetch water from the stream he almost drowned in, and brought him milk and rice. In fact, as far as i can see, scant mention is made as to how he began to eat again. Most accounts simply state he simply did....

Some people I met see the encounter with the village girl as a concealed reference to sexual tantra. The milk would refer to a milky substance that can be produced in female orgasm.

That is certainly not in the spirit of the Theravada story, and it’s not my idea of the middle way either.
    I just wanted to share the thought.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    zenff said:

federica said:

"Rice field maiden"....?

Some people I met see the encounter with the village girl as a concealed reference to sexual tantra. The milk would refer to a milky substance that can be produced in female orgasm.

That is certainly not in the spirit of the Theravada story, and it’s not my idea of the middle way either.
    I just wanted to share the thought.

Sorry zenff. But I think that is a) Papanca and B) total bollocks.
    :)
    The story is what it is. It needs no 'esoteric ' embellishment.
    edited July 2013
    While I wouldn't put it so strongly, I completely agree with @Citta....
    The way the Buddha must have been feeling at that point, I doubt very much he would feel in any way shape or form inclined towards 'sexual matters'.....

Besides, having achieved such realisation, even before his enlightenment, I doubt very much the thought of sex and betraying his wife, would have been an attractive option.

I realise this reference does not come from you, @zenff, so I'm not pointing the finger at you at all.... In fact, I fully take on board that you also don't see it as feasible.

:)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Just to add that like federica, I did realise that you had not authored the story @zenff and that you were unconvinced by it.

_/\_
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    federica said:

Something else I have noticed on this 'Fast Diet' I'm on.

And hold onto your hats, but I swear it's the truth:

I don't pass wind.

In that case we don't need to hang onto our hats.
    (At least someone got it....! :thumbsup: )
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    That's actually a bad sign. A 'clean' diet should include a health amount of wind to pass.
    Not according to my dietician.
    She states that wind can be a sign of an imbalance in the digestive tract. Air trapped between boluses of food, and an erratic peristaltic action, caused by eating foods which are more difficult to digest, like processed foods, fatty high-carb content foods and too much processed wheat.
    While some wind may be normal, it isn't 'mandatory' for a good digestion, and in fact can be a signal of more serious problems.
    Generally speaking, not enough fiber is a bad sign. A healthy amount of fiber causes gas. That's just how it is, my dear.
    Where have I said i don't consume fibre? My fecal matter has been pronounced both healthy and sufficient. I also had a medical two weeks ago (for my new job) and my Dr tells me I have the body and constitution of a woman 20 years younger.

Fortunately, I think I'm doing fine, but thanks for your concern. *Finishes her Puy lentil, asparagus and feta cheese salad.*

;)
    Zero
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Blimey federica, if that was me it would be hovercraft duvets all night...
    riverflow
    So I hear..... ;):p
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Ok. Whats she been sayin' .....
    Vastmind
    federica said:

my Dr tells me I have the body and constitution of a woman 20 years younger.

He tells that to all the girls. :D
    No, SHE doesn't. ;)
  • Zero said:

I've found the same when I cut out rice, bread and white pasta.
    Otherwise I tend to be somewhat... :om:
    Jetpowered!

Same here. My belly shrinks and I don't get the sharts or mud butt when I stay away from that stuff.
    ZeroBeej
    federica said:

No, SHE doesn't. ;)

How do you know that?

• Same here. My belly shrinks and I don't get the sharts or mud butt when I stay away from that stuff.

I've thought about going gluten free to deal with the... err... issues raised here, but apparently less than 2% of people have a problem digesting gluten and the gluten free alternatives are really expensive and high in fat, so half of me is kinda skeptical that it's all a big con/fad like the atkins diet, but the other half would like to see less of the toilet.
    Nevermind said:

That's actually a bad sign. A 'clean' diet should include a health amount of wind to pass.

40% of wind is swallowed air, it's gotta come out somewhere.

Chrysalid said:

40% of wind is swallowed air, it's gotta come out somewhere.

Well it don't come out my butt.
    riverflow
  • Maybe this discussion should be moved to the "Members Only" section...! :wtf:
    Jeffrey
    No, not really.
    I think when it comes to breaking wind, it's a generally universal concept. Not just confined to 'members only'....
    riverflow
    Maybe create a new section for members who don't eat enough fiber. :p
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Nevermind said:

Maybe create a new section for members who don't eat enough fiber. :p

Lol, maybe name it "Open the Windows"
    riverflow