Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

no-kidding-around Buddhism

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
I put this on my blog today, but thought I would put it here as well:

As important men and women around the world prove themselves incapable of important thought, as principles go begging in the midst of self-referential actions, occasionally there is a small voice. It is not a voice that is likely to be heard, much less taken to heart, but it is pleasing nonetheless.

Malala Yousafzai, the 16-year-old Pakistani advocate for womens rights and access to education, was on The Daily Show last night. And when Jon Stewart, the front man for the show, asked this young woman who had been shot in the head by the Taliban what she felt when she learned that the Taliban wanted her dead, she said this:

I started thinking about that, and I used to think that the Talib would come, and he would just kill me. But then I said, 'If he comes, what would you do Malala?' then I would reply to myself, 'Malala, just take a shoe and hit him.' But then I said, 'If you hit a Talib with your shoe, then there would be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others with cruelty and that much harshly, you must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and through education.' Then I said I will tell him how important education is and that 'I even want education for your children as well.' And I will tell him, 'That's what I want to tell you, now do what you want.'
(Emphasis added)
ChazriverflowI_AM_THATlobsterzenffKundoInvincible_summerWonderingSeekerVastmind

Comments

• My heart is touched by this strong girl. She is an inspiration to us all. If more people could follow her example, this planet would be a better place.
    robot
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    There was a news story today saying that the Taliban is renewing its hope to punish her.
  • Bodhisattva arising.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think you mean, arisen.

For her to think this way, she''s already there.
    Streets ahead of me, I would add.....
    KundoWonderingSeeker
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @federica -- I doubt that you could know where she was if you weren't there as well.
    VastmindInvincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I've been keeping tabs on her since she was shot in the head for speaking out. Big fan.

She is a sign of the spirit of our age and strengthens my hope for us all.
    VastmindChaz
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^ Oh...that's sad :(
  • You can preach goodness, but people must lend their ears.
    Invincible_summer
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited October 2013
    genkaku said:
    “The duty, not the right, the duty of education, as the Prophet said, is a duty on every Muslim, male and female.”
    I found this quote on a website on Women’s rights in Islam.
    (It is called Islam’s Women - Jewels of Islam)
    http://www.islamswomen.com/articles/do_muslim_women_have_rights.php

I think the extreme patriarchal conservatism in parts of the Muslim world is not at all in the spirit of Islam.
    Just like the idea that killing people indiscriminately is a good practice for a Muslim; the idea that women should be kept away from public life is an absurdity, also within the context of Islam.

“Radical Islam” is a mutilation of the religion and an insult to the spirit of Islam. Their rhetoric is aimed at the West but their bombs and bullets kill mostly ordinary faithful Muslims.
    Invincible_summerlobsterriverflow