Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The pursuit of emptiness

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.

That was the Buddha's view. Extrapolating this, zen concluded that if everything is futile and meaningless, then one should pursue emptiness - that alone in fact would be a worthy pursuit. Of course, one can do verbal/intellectual gymnastics here, saying emptiness cannot be pursued etc. But if one goes deeply into various concepts - discontent in all things/activities, impermanence everywhere - then in the end we are left with nothing. That nothing alone seems true.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• You are confusing the Buddhadharma with mere nihilism.
    EvenThirdDennis1
  • betaboy said:

That nothing alone seems true.
    Your thoughts?

Perhaps - but the logic utilised to conclude that lonely truth is not 'nothing' logic, it is 'something' logic.
  • Emptiness is not a lack of satisfaction.. Actually when you let go grasping at air you feel pretty darn good. No worries or need to control the future. At peace with past memories as an arising. And open and welcoming to whatever is in the present.
    riverflow
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    One of the precepts attendant on those vows is one to not teach Emptiness to those who aren't ready for it.
    @chaz -- You mean you can teach emptiness to those who ARE ready for it? I'd pay five bucks to see that in action.
    lobster
  • @genkaku by 'you' did you mean chaz? Or do you contest that it is impossible to teach emptiness? (by anyone) If so then why were the prajnaparamita sutras written?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2013
    The key word here might be "if" but I don't think everything is meaningless and futile. If it was then perhaps chasing emptiness would be a decent waste of time. We are empty whether we pursue it or not.

If nothing seems true then there is delusion because there is no such thing as nothing. It's kinda what the word means...
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

@genkaku by 'you' did you mean chaz? Or do you contest that it is impossible to teach emptiness? (by anyone) If so then why were the prajnaparamita sutras written?

It sure seems that somebody thought the teachings of emptiness was essential to understanding.

What is the mark of someone that is ready?

I would figure that if misunderstandings obscure the dharma, readiness to understand is implied.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    genkaku said:

One of the precepts attendant on those vows is one to not teach Emptiness to those who aren't ready for it.
    @chaz -- You mean you can teach emptiness to those who ARE ready for it? I'd pay five bucks to see that in action.

I think it would take more that Bodhisattva Vows to teach Shunyatha.

• Mind turns away from the world focusing on virtue and then at the last breath liberation from sentient being is achieved.

What we are missing is the sublime buddha qualities and activities of the buddha which is body of the buddhas. Though it is all absent and free from references, a buddha with no intention helps all beings without even the notions of beings or buddhas.

Such goodness, truth and beauty.

May the suffering of the world inspire us to reach towards the sublime expansive luminous sphere of equality.
    Jeffrey
    Or do you contest that it is impossible to teach emptiness?
    @Jeffrey -- I think I might contest that teaching emptiness is possible.
    May the suffering of the world inspire us to reach towards the sublime expansive luminous sphere of equality.
    @taiyaki -- "Equality" sounds very nice as a wish, but I think perhaps it brings with it an implicit curse: Equality posits two things that are made somehow equal. Is duality something to nourish, however sweet and luminous the 'equality' sound?

Leaving aside the icky-Zen stuff, what is it like when there is no two, no one and no none? What is it like when blue sky is blue?

Just noodling.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Equality is fine when things are equal or deserve to be equal. But mostly it's a rather nebulous concept.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2013
    betaboy said:

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.

That is Ecclelesiastes
    http://biblehub.com/ecclesiastes/1-2.htm
    That was the Buddha's view.
    That is your vanity.
    Extrapolating this, zen concluded
    Zen concluded?
    Que?
    Wassat mean?

that if everything is futile and meaningless, then one should pursue emptiness - that alone in fact would be a worthy pursuit. Of course, one can do verbal/intellectual gymnastics here, saying emptiness cannot be pursued etc. But if one goes deeply into various concepts - discontent in all things/activities, impermanence everywhere - then in the end we are left with nothing. That nothing alone seems true.

[ahem] does not compute.
    Zen, whoever she is, does not conclude this, nor does the Buddha, nor does Judaism or Christianity who use the Bible as their vain attempts to understand the nature of reality . . . No. This is a straw man interpretation and therefore it is empty and vain . . . in a manner of speaking . . .

Emptiness/Sunyata is not a nihilistic, meaningless void familiar to egos and the depressed as has been pointed out.

:wave:
    riverflowFullCircleHamsaka
  • @genkaku I think emptiness can be pointed to. The teacher encourages and gives pointing out instructions. But all you have to do is examine your own awareness. It's already empty right off the bat. For example your body and mind are ungraspable. They are not controllable and new feelings come and go.
    Hamsaka
    all you have to do is examine your own awareness
    @Jeffrey -- So awareness examines awareness, is that it?

Sounds delusional to me, but I'm too deluded to know for certain.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Awareness is there. Awareness is our experience and it is right there. What you see right now is your awareness. It isn't something that appears later with training.
    edited November 2013
    Awareness is there.
    A. Where is "there?" Or, if you prefer, where is "here?"

B. If "awareness is there," is that "pointing to emptiness?"

C. What role does any of this play when a shoelace is broken?
  • A. It is neither here nor there. It is just experience as it is. It is happening right now.

B. Pointing to emptiness could be reading the prajnaparamita sutras, contemplating, and meditating. It is letting go rather than building up. We have wrong ideas and through intellect we see that. So we let go of the ego and practice.

C. If we break a shoe lace we get it replaced. Sometimes people use the two truths to explain that, but the whole shebang of the shoe lace shows the three marks: impermanence, dukkha if grasped, and non-self. The form skhanda (lace) is not-self of the shoe. Breaking a shoe lace affects our awareness and the awareness is open, clear, and sensitive. Every experience there are always the three qualities: openness, clarity, and sensitivity.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    This reminds me of the zen student who is pursuing being here now. He washes the dishes while repeating to himself, "I am washing the dishes".
    MaryAnneNevermindDavid
    Gui said:

This reminds me of the zen student who is pursuing being here now. He washes the dishes while repeating to himself, "I am washing the dishes".

I've heard it said that being "here now" in the Buddhist sense is the same as being "in the zone" in the artistic or athletic sense. There is no separation between a good catcher and the ball or an artist and their art when they are "in the zone".

"I am washing the dishes" is like a mantra to bring us into center. To remind us to truly be there for the task at hand. It may sound silly but there is love in that practice.

Hamsaka
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

The pursuit of Emptiness
    My def. of an oxymoron.
    riverflowZenshinChaz
  • It's like the pursuit of water for a fish.
    riverflow
    Or the pursuit of wetness for water.
    riverflow
  • The 8fold path with all the psychic phenomene that it´s producing are noting but exercises, a tool to change consciousness. Emptiness is just the 6thstep of the of the eight Jhanas.

sacco
  • @anando, I believe the 6th jhana is a conditioned experience so you are right that it is empty. But all of the other jhanas are also conditioned experience along with all phenomena. Non-jhana also is conditioned experience and empty.
  • Conceptual mind is ego grasping past, present and future, manipulating, substantializing and solidifying Buddha Nature that cannot be grasped, manipulated, substantialized and solidified. That is why, in order to awaken to our Buddha Nature, the Mahasiddha Tilopa said: "Let go of what has passed. Let go of what may come. Let go of what is happening now. Don’t try to figure anything out. Don’t try to make anything happen. Relax, right now, and rest."

From facebooks buddhism photo. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buddhism/129435380440926
    ChazDennis1
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    anando said:

Emptiness is just the 6thstep of the of the eight Jhanas.

No, the 6th jhana ( 2nd arupa jhana ) is the experience of infinite consciousness, based on the previous experience of infinite space ( 1st arupa jhana ).
    Dennis1
  • Hello Jeffry,
    The 7th Jhana ist where the borders of possible perception is and th 8th is dissolvement of all inner and outer perception. This is even less the the 6th step, where ist just says:"Nothing is here." If one says that ther is nothing any more, defines itself that there had been something before.

anando
    Dennis1
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013
    But they (all jhanas) are all exeriences so they are conditioned and empty. Are you saying the seventh jhana is not an experience? If so then how is it recognized?

Emptiness refers to all experiences.

I think the problem is sectarianism ie Pali Canon versus prajnaparamita sutras.

Heart Sutra:

snip::::
    Therefore, Sariputra, in emptiness, there is no form, no feeling, no perception, no formation, no consciousness; no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no appearance, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch, no dharmas; no eye dhatu up to no mind dhatu, no dhatu of dharmas, no mind consciousness dhatu; no ignorance, no end of ignorance up to no old age and death, no end of old age and death; no suffering, no origin of suffering, no cessation of suffering, no path, no wisdom, no attainment, and no nonattainment. Therefore, Sariputra, since the bodhisattvas have no attainment, they abide by means of prajnaparamita. Since there is no obscuration of mind, there is no fear. They transcend falsity and attain complete nirvana. All the buddhas of the three times, by means of prajnaparamita, fully awaken to unsurpassable, true, complete enlightenment.
    snip:::
    Dennis1
    Jeffrey said:

But they (all jhanas) are all exeriences so they are conditioned and empty. Are you saying the seventh jhana is not an experience? If so then how is it recognized?

I'd say the jhanas are meditative experiences which are like stepping stones along the way to the realisation of emptiness.
  • Yes, there is a path, but jhanas themselves are not the same thing as enlightenment. Turning away from anger etc.. or starting precepts are also not themselves enlightenment. Just as the precepts are important stepping stones so too are the jhanas. But they should not be confused with nirvana.
  • Emptiness is form, form is emptiness. Awareness is not form or emptiness. Discursive thought arises from the self cherishing compulsion which arises naturally when you have a body with experiences and opinions .... The point of emptiness is the simple lack of existence of self as a separate person. From my view it is best to arrive at emptiness through understanding of self and the world and the ground luminosity. Then when discursive thought drops away and pristine cognition dawns it is natural and productive to contemplate emptiness. By the union of bliss and emptiness we stabilize our enlightened awareness. Prior to this I don't see much use in meditating on emptiness. I'm sure others who may know more might disagree and I wouldn't argue.
    First we need to learn not to grasp after the self and I suppose the idea of emptiness is effective. But, I think Bohdicitta is better. Care for others and self perfection is a sweeter path. I recommend the Paramitas. Best, Dennis
    lobsterhowDavid
    Jeffrey said:

...stepping stones so too are the jhanas. But they should not be confused with nirvana.

I agree. Perhaps the jhana can be seen as one approach to emptiness.
  • Prior to this I don't see much use in meditating on emptiness. I'm sure others who may know more might disagree and I wouldn't argue.
    I think noting all things are impermanent can reduce frustration. Is impermanence related to emptiness?
  • I don't see emptiness as a goal. Emptiness is simply a view of what is-dependent origination. Unobstructed awareness is a proper goal. Bringing the winds to dwell in the central channel is a proper goal. Emptiness is useful because it diminishes the grasping after a self which does not exist. It helps to dry up the source of delusions.
    Best, Dennis
    Dennis1 said:

Unobstructed awareness is a proper goal.

Unobstructed awareness of what? Emptiness?
  • Nice question: I would first say The three interrelated ignorances which produce bewilderment . I would say awareness which is unobstructed by anything. There are gross and fine obstructions. As we grow we become less obstructed and eventually we enter the path of no more learning. Omniscience is always there but we are obstructed by etc. and more etc. Emptiness is perhaps not an obstruction but even emptiness which is understood rather than full realized is an obstruction. Knowing is an obstruction if it means grasping after elements of self involvement in the world.
    It is said between each thought the Buddha has pristine cognition. Between each action is pristine cognition....So each of those in betweens is obstructions. Well the nature is clear and the essence is empty. Short of that simplicity, is obstruction. Any help?
  • Oh. I re looked at your question and realized you mean realization of what. I answered what obstructions. Well that question could be seen as a one step to enlightenment kind of question-much like what watcher? I will answer Awareness needs no object and understanding that is the primary function of meditation. To get to the point of awareness without a subject/object duality. I view all sentience as a unity of awareness. The form, the individuality, the activity is empty. Awareness is not thought. Awareness is not empty. You could call that the Dharmadhatu. We all have Buddha nature.
  • Jeffrey said:

Emptiness refers to all experiences.

I think the problem is sectarianism ie Pali Canon versus prajnaparamita sutras.

Great quote Jeffrey, thank you.
    I think you are perfectly correct and wonderful. Bless you, oh far gone one.
    The one sutra to read is the prajnaparamita sutra. I don't think that is part of the Pali Canons. There is awareness-The Bodhisattva stands on nothing.

• Chaz said:

I remember my Bodhisattva vows. One of the precepts attendant on those vows is one to not teach Emptiness to those who aren't ready for it.

betaboy said:

Your thoughts?

I think that precept is a very good one.

You have caused me to rethink about my answer above. As Dylan said (that is Bob)
    one should never be where one does not belong' I will do better. Thank you.