Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Is It That Saps Our Energy?

I have found Buddhist thought and way of viewing the world, has made me a much stronger individual. Acceptance and compassion for others has opened my heart and mind for the plight of others. Intolerance sapped my ability to love. Struggle with reality, made me feel resentful and self-pity. Acceptance and compassion have been boons to my growth as a human being.

I have, however, continued with struggling to find energy. Are there any other teachings that others have found beneficial in this regard?
lobstercvalue

Comments

• Yoga, tai chi/chi kung, exercise in general creates energy. Eating less, sleeping less, creates energy. Finding the positive creates energy. Being kind is less burdening on all. Fresh air, sun, good company.

I find doing what I love is more energising.

Good potential thread and question, look forward to people's insight
    :wave:
    JeffreyVastmindcvalue
  • I have found Buddhist thought and way of viewing the world, has made me a much stronger individual. Acceptance and compassion for others has opened my heart and mind for the plight of others. Intolerance sapped my ability to love. Struggle with reality, made me feel resentful and self-pity. Acceptance and compassion have been boons to my growth as a human being.

I have, however, continued with struggling to find energy. Are there any other teachings that others have found beneficial in this regard?

Diet! Exercise!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Are there any other teachings that others have found beneficial in this regard?

Meditation practice. Lots of it. :)
    lobsterVastmindcvalue
  • fivebells said:

Meditation on death and impermanence.

NB. @Betaboy does not apply to you - yet. You have been warmed [sic]. :o

Meditation. Good one.
    Puja, prostrations and chanting for energy and if not eating less, eat more good stuff as has been said . . .
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    A messy home environment saps my energy. A clean and tidy home makes my brain work better, much better, and I feel less physically tired too. Maybe that's just me though!
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Spend less time in technology world and more time in nature world.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Teaching? ...Well.... *pulls out the Buddha bag*
    My teacher talks about different kinds of energy....
    anger is energy...compassion is energy...mindfullness is an
    energy.... What 'kind' of energy are you looking for?
  • It can help to be clear that you are prone to suffering at loss and change. So it is urgent that you take this time to become awake or more in that direction.
    cvalue
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Moderating you lot sometimes leaves me exhausted.....!!
    JeffreyWoah93cvalueInvincible_summer
  • We'll try to be better netizens in 2014. Thanks for your unbelievable service, Federica.
    cvalue
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Look at something beautiful.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    federica said:

Being moderated by you leaves me exhausted.

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    federica said:

Haha - we're being very good teachers (of patience) for you Federica!! :D

lobster
  • I know if I've got to do something that only I benefit from, I can't really be bothered to do it. For example, if it's a cold night, and there's an A.A. meeting on, I may give it a miss in favour of sitting on my arse.

But if I've the same situation going on with the difference being that I've got to give someone else a ride to the A.A. meeting, I'm there on time. Or if I know there's someone new at that A.A. meeting, I'll be there on the off-chance that I might be able to help the guy.

I guess it's the intention that I do things that makes the difference. If I do things with only the intention of helping myself, then there's not a lot of power in that. But if I do something with the intention of helping someone else, there's power in that.

I also find that by helping others, I tend to think about them and their problems some of the time. It stops me from thinking about myself and my problems all of the time - which is very tiring and boring; and it can sap my energy and lead to procrastination.

I guess I'm saying the practise of compassion helps with getting energy.

By the way, I'm fit - I run marathons - yet when I'm wrapped up in myself, I can still lack energy. Diet and fitness only get you so far.
    lobster
  • One random thing I've found that helps prevent loss of energy: clearing out any clutter in your living space. I find that when my home is clean and tidy, I have more energy. A messy space feels very draining.
    MaryAnnelobster
  • I like to clean and improve my environment for Buddha. For example I have two Buddhas in the kitchen and Buddhas like a tidy environment, reminds them of their mind.

Been doing a spot of painting, to ensure they are in a temple extension, which applies to anything beyond my temples, the Dharma cooking area and a safe area for providing energy . . . ;)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    My energy level raises or lowers according to how accepting I am in the moment.
    A lack of energy, with an examining eye, has become a reliable teacher pointing out the next thing that needs to be opened up to.

lobsterInvincible_summerHamsaka
  • My meds lower my energy but my heart counter acts that and allows me to get through the day.
    I know that feeling, Jeffrey. My meds have really slowed me down.
    Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    vinlyn said:

federica said:

Being moderated by you leaves me exhausted.

Good.
    I like to give as good as I get. ;)

lobster
  • You guys . . . LOL

Laughter is very energising. Looking in the mirror does it for me . . . or comedy clips on Youtube . . .
    Seriousness is sometimes mistaken for levity.
    lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Find stuff that inspires you, or failing that go for a nice long walk. ;)
    vinlyn said:

Seriousness is sometimes mistaken for levity.

Trust me - I didn't make that mistake.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    lobster said:

and chanting for energy

Definitely chanting. There is a Korean style of chanting called "Kido" which literally means “energy way” or "energy path". It has a very fast tempo and when everyone has some kind of drum or percussion instrument, it's quite energizing.

:)
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited December 2013

I have found Buddhist thought and way of viewing the world, has made me a much stronger individual. Acceptance and compassion for others has opened my heart and mind for the plight of others. Intolerance sapped my ability to love. Struggle with reality, made me feel resentful and self-pity. Acceptance and compassion have been boons to my growth as a human being.

For me, greed saps my energy just as much as the internet.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    seeker242 said:

Definitely chanting. There is a Korean style of chanting called "Kido" which literally means “energy way” or "energy path". It has a very fast tempo and when everyone has some kind of drum or percussion instrument, it's quite energizing.
    :)

Good stuff. Recently I've been using this one: Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ Vajra Guru Padma Siddhi Hūṃ. It's very energising, I think of it as Buddhist marching song.
    ;)