Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you think people are stupid ?

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    As compared to what?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think a modification of Lincoln's famous quotation is appropriate...

You can call some of the people stupid all of the time,
    You can call all of the people stupid some of the time,
    But you can't call all of the people stupid, all of the time.
  • People are awesome.

jae
  • I've sometimes thought the Buddha's first draft of the Noble Truths was:

The problem is, people are stupid.
    You can't fix stupid.

But that was too depressing, so he made a few edits.
    BunksJeffreyjll
  • jll said:

No, I don't think they're stupid... I think they do stupid things.
    seeker242
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Jill. ...do you think people are stupid?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    There's a passage in a novel called "The Magus" by John Fowles which goes something like this:
    "There are 3 possible responses when a person is told they are intelligent. The first kind of person just takes it as a straightforward description. The second kind of person is intelligent enough to know they are being flattered. And the third isn't."
    Hamsaka
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If I admit I'm stupid, that makes me pretty smart, so I guess I'd better not do that.
    If I admit I'm smart, that can make me pretty stupid, so I guess I'd better not do that.

All in all, I guess I'll stop expending energy on "smart" and "stupid" -- there are dishes to wash, after all.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I know a few people who like to call certain other people stupid. Those people seem stupid to me.

I say our negative emotions that drive us to destructive behavior is the worse culprit. I think that there are many highly intelligent, very successful people that do a lot of harm to the world.
    Jeffrey
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    No, because the word "stupid" is generally a derogatory term that is opposite of metta. :)
    jae
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Reality check..testing 1 , 2, 3,

If people are just cruise lines for virus and bacteria,
    what appears stupid for you, is likely just an entertainment program for them.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    jll said:

On reflection, I think people are inherently limited and that perception of stupidity is a benign response to those limits brushing against each other in a relative, immediately-insignificant manner - I say immediately-insignificant as it seems when the deviation is perceived as significant, the perception shifts from stupidity to something more malignantly opposed to self-preservation, such as say aggression, or greed.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I might substitute the word 'clueless' for stupid. Unfortunately that means the same thing in everyday speech. But if you shake it down to essence, being without a clue, it feels less judgmental to me, more of an observation.

Except that as long as I was functionally clueless (most of my life) if I'm honest, there were clues everywhere. Some flogged me about the head and shoulders, others were subtle and I didn't know what they meant. I was not 'clueless', I was ignoring clues, avoiding clues, overlooking clues.

So maybe it's back to avijjānusaya, or plain old ignorance.

Yeah, do I think people are ignorant? Hoooo yes. In strictly Buddhist terms :) of course.

Gassho :)

• Watching a one hour documentary about how people stupid? Is that very smart?
    federica
  • edited January 2014
    Watched one minute. My answer is yes. Always have been.
    Less people did stupid things before "celebrity" became a thing.
    Check out "Idiocracy" sometime if you can get it cheap or free.
  • I didn't watch any of it. That guy's moustache is stupid.
    jlljae
  • jlljll Veteran
    “we are in a bus going 100mph heading straight into a wall, and we are fighting about who gets the best seat.”

1% of the population control 50% of the wealth.

what is the matter with the other 99% ? are they stupid or what ????
    jae said:

• jll said:

“we are in a bus going 100mph heading straight into a wall, and we are fighting about who gets the best seat.”

jae said:

Some people don't want the wealth. Others have no use for it.
    If someone wants wealth they can create it.
    It doesn't have to come from those who already have it.
  • try telling it to those people living in the slums of india.

robot said:

jll said:

jae said:

• hermitwin said:

try telling it to those people living in the slums of india.

robot said:

jll said:

jae said:

I haven't tried to deny that there is poverty in the world.
    I just don't accept that because some people have huge fortunes, it means that no one else can get any. Wealth can be created.
    Someone like Mark Zuckerberg has found a way to tap into billions using systems that were already in place. He didn't have to steal it from the poor. In fact he is offering something that is free to use.
    And, not even thirty yet, has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to charity.
    That's the future that I prefer to see.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    seeker242 said:

No, because the word "stupid" is generally a derogatory term that is opposite of metta. :)

Yes, though according to Buddhism we're all deluded, aren't we?

:p
  • Yes. Sometimes I am.
  • anandoanando Explorer
    Hi, why should there be stupid people. Yes there are a few once with low mental degrees but most of the people are intelligent aus to 100 points in an intelligence Test.
    There might be some more or less intelligent humans. But that is something diferent
    to condem a lot of people as silly.

anando