Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Home

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran
Whatever distractions are going on. I have found that it is important that my meditation brings my mind back to the present. I have gone days being distracted by thoughts and sensations and today I came back home with a loud thump.

Tomorrow I may be flying aloft with my thoughts again as is my want but the ground of my life and being awaits me.

What brings you home?

Comments

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    My breath :)
    anatamanVastmindBunks
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    my step :)
    anatamanlobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    My duty to be a responsible, caring being essentially non separate from others. In other words, my breathing.
    Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Part of a successful practice depends on being open to discovering the plethora of possible reminders that each of our daily lives presents.
    Some of mine are...

Walking (which I do a lot of) reminds me of kinhin so it becomes my walking meditation,

climbing stairs (which is part of job) triggers an attention to observe my breathing,

driving restrictions (another part of my job) reminds me to let go of my expectations,

arriving and leaving a clients front path is a wake up call to be present because of how different it often feels compared to my face to face interactions with them inside,
    (it need not be different but is often my failing)

any arising body tension is usually a flag saying that I am doing a poor job of accepting something and it is time to relax and explore what that is,

awakening in the morning and drifting off to sleep at night are habitually accompanied with the mental reciting of the three refuges to pattern an intent for my day as well as my sleep at night,

finding myself having taking a step or an action without a clear idea of why is often my wake up call to be more mindful of the present,

saying a short gatha before eating to remind myself to be cognascent of what life was ended so that I might live another day,

lobsteranatamanBuddhadragon
  • Remembrance is a dervish practice, adapted to dharma practice it allows everyday experience to remind us of aware being, many different ways as our cyber sangria/sangha of Buddha addicts have mentioned . . .

For example yoga nidra/body scan for tension/relaxation can be done any time we remember. How often can a mantra be used internally? How can present activity be slower and more mindful?

The breath as mentioned is a wonderful reminder. Is it being held in concentration or relaxed and free flowing?

Are we in the moment or stuck in past/future/monkey mind?
    Attention, attention, attention . . . I seem to remember . . .
    http://www.nyingma.com/dzogchen1.htm

:wave:
    anataman
  • Annoying things are my bells of awake. Like a computer taking forever to load something. Just on the spot breath into my body and feel the ebb and flow of energies as I am annoyed.
    lobsteranataman
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "I wish..."
    Chaz
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Definitely the breath for me....it's amazing when I catch myself in the middle of anger, anxiety, fear, lust, whatever and realise I am holding my breath!!

Just had a crazy busy weekend organising and putting on a 4th birthday party for 50 people (25 kids) at my house......it's amazing how much I needed to sit this morning with the breath for a while after 3 days not meditating and feeling stressed!

No wonder Ajahn Brahm calls it "the beautiful breath".
    anatamanlobsterhowBuddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

yagrlobster
  • @anataman said:
    Tomorrow I may be flying aloft with my thoughts again as is my want but the ground of my life and being awaits me.

What brings you home?

You have a monkey mind? Don't we all. Ritualised stillness (meditation to you and me) is a great reminder. Mantra too. Shrines. Whatever.
    Bring everything to stillness . . . I think they call it, 'The Path' . . . ;)

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

This is a nice song. However, when I first heard it I misheard the lyrics repeatedly. My kids laughed at me when I started singing 'I don't have Monkey on my mind' LOL

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited March 2014

@Bunks said:
    Definitely the breath for me....it's amazing when I catch myself in the middle of anger, anxiety, fear, lust, whatever and realise I am holding my breath!!

Holding your breath when in the midst of a strong feeling is part of the "fight or flight" response building in your body.

Also for me, breathing works to bring me back to the present from the intensity of a situation or simply when I lose myself in a brown study.

So beautiful the image of Chenrezig, @lobster!

I am a faithful devotee of Kuan Yin and Green Tara, so in my case, when I pray the mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum," I conjure up their image.

Coming to think of it, in different moments of my day, I also stop to chant "Om Mani Padme Hum" as a way to center myself.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited March 2014

Oops, no comment, just entered again by mistake!