Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Independence

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
For whatever reason I happened to be contemplating the idea of "Independence" earlier as I lay down to sleep. It occurred to me that who we really are, at the base, root level, is actually independent of all internal and external things. Independent of this body, independent of this mind, independent of these thoughts, these feelings, this life, these situations. Independent of any society, country or government. Independent of any food, water, earth, solar system or universe. Independent of any hell realm, animal realm, human realm or deva realm. Independent of all any and all components of the five skandhas. Independent of anything that one can conceive of. Whatever it is, there is independence from that.

Does this concur with "right view"? Seems to me that if you were to posit some thing that can be independent of all this other stuff, then it would not concur with anatta. But at the same time, the idea of independence from all these things does appear to concur with anatta. AKA "This is not myself, etc, etc" So which is right? Perhaps independence without some thing being independent? If so, then how can there be independence without some thing to be independent of other things to begin with? However, If there is no thing that can be independent of other things then how can one say "this is not myself, etc."

Comments

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I don't know. I think that what "I" am is dependent of all these things you mentioned. But, at the same time, "I" am not these things. What am "I"? Good question. If you find out, please tell me :)
    Bunks
  • Right view means seeing things in terms of the 4NT. If you see that a self-view/self-identification is causing stress, you drop it. ("This is not me, this is not myself...") If a self-view is helping you may want to keep it around for now. The view "This is not the REAL me, the REAL me is some mysterious thing beyond space/time/samsara," does imply a self-view, but maybe it's part of a framework which is helping you drop coarser forms of stress.

All forms of self-view are a source of stress, but they don't have to be dropped until you've developed the sensitivity to see that stress. Right view changes depending on the stress you're able to apprehend at the moment.
    VastmindJeffreyanatamanseeker242
  • Who we are is ultimately nothing. At the heart of the thousand-petalled lotus, when the last petal is peeled away, is nothing.
    lobsterVastmindanataman
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Independence? ....

To be is to interbe. --TNH (Zen)

No mention of the me part. Trying to separate or create the 'me' might
    be feeding/confirming the me concept to your mind. There is no you....
    bec everything is interdependant. Your made of non-you parts.

There's no 'it'. ...Only the processes, that your form, surroundings, and
    other conditions are taking part in....and will continue to take part
    in after you die. There is a process 'beyond' the things you describe...
    but it's not a you......as a separate entity. No base.
    The beyond/mind/citta/nature/buddha will be made of non parts.
    Doesn't mean it processes the same as before....but that's how the
    changing happened.

That's my understanding of it, anyway.....
    :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Independence is just the dream. What is a dream?
  • The problem is the assertion of independence.

Because of that there is the teachings which deny that specific assertion.

And then those teachings which deny the specific assertion is denied.

X is. X isn't. X isn't, isn't.

So Buddhadharma categorically ends the proliferation of is or isn't which both form on the basis of independent existence.

And in some sense it isn't the variable itself that matters but the underlying momentum's of clinging and the kind of THIS IS IT attitude.

Anything that claims a sense of objectivity should be questioned and investigated thoroughly.

In my opinion right view is an understanding of dependent origination. When this is, that is. When this isn't, that isn't.

The implication of that is that when I am, then everything is. When I am not, everything else isn't.

Or if there is a here, there is a there. Vice versa.

The ignorant view that sentient beings uphold is the view of X. Or independent existence.

The contrast right view is X is dependent upon other than X.

To even have this as an intellectual basis can be very freeing. Hope this helps.
    anatamanlobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    snowmelt said:

Who we are is ultimately nothing. At the heart of the thousand-petalled lotus, when the last petal is peeled away, is nothing.

Reminds me of a story I heard. :) A monk was expounding the doctrine of emptiness to this other monk, who just so happened to be a master, AKA "we are nothing, there is nothing" etc, etc. After he was done the master slapped him in the face. The monk got quite upset! The master laughed out loud and said "Wow, nothing sure does get angry!" :) I think it went something like that. :)

BunksDavid
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    IMO it sounds like you had a clear glimpse of the "I", the object to be negated, rather than just an intellectual idea of the concept.

Our ignorance that we unquestioningly hold is that there is something wholly independent. So I think keep asking yourself what is this thing and where is it to see if you can find it.
  • @seeker242 - Yes, I am like the monk: no guarantee that my intellectual concepts would stand up to a slap. That is for arahants. Thanks for the timely reminder.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2014
    seeker242 said:

For whatever reason I happened to be contemplating the idea of "Independence" earlier as I lay down to sleep. It occurred to me that who we really are, at the base, root level, is actually independent of all internal and external things. Independent of this body, independent of this mind, independent of these thoughts, these feelings, this life, these situations. Independent of any society, country or government. Independent of any food, water, earth, solar system or universe. Independent of any hell realm, animal realm, human realm or deva realm. Independent of all any and all components of the five skandhas. Independent of anything that one can conceive of. Whatever it is, there is independence from that.

Does this concur with "right view"?

yes, but this is conventional right view
    Seems to me that if you were to posit some thing that can be independent of all this other stuff, then it would not concur with anatta.
    you have already grasped what i said above
    But at the same time, the idea of independence from all these things does appear to concur with anatta. AKA "This is not myself, etc, etc"
    this is Noble Right View

So which is right?

one is conventional right view and the other is Noble Right View

you have come to the very very subtle point
    and
    you are on the right track

Buddha says 'the whole world is within our six feet long body'
    so
    contemplation should go on six sense bases and five skandhas and six elements

seeker242
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    In the Pali canon one of the fetters is self view, or belief in a self ( sakkāya-diṭṭhi).